Why do people insist on cutting Dak?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly and I explained most of that to him on a prior thread. It's not complicated. I also would have been ok bringing him back, until we refused to build around him. I'm hard pressed to see a threat in our rb room. I'm hard pressed to believe in these coaches to establish a run game. The oline coach is still on staff, the running game coordinator still has a job. The line may or may not improve THIS year, but with all the other factors staying the same I don't believe Dak has enough to overcome it. So why waste a year, not let Lance play and end up with a middling draft selection?
You are right, it is not complicated. It will never happen.

CWR

Reaction score
Sounds great. Accept Jerry has no intention of a full scale rebuild.
Never said he did. He's asked why we wanted to move forward. That's why. My gut is Jerry extends him.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They owe him money next year
They have to satisfy the salary cap parameters. They owe him no actual funds if they cut him. Zero. He’s been paid all the guaranteed money due him on the contract he signed. How the Cowboys handled his contract in deference to salary cap rules has nothing, as in nothing, to do with money due him. That’s the Cowboys’ business. He’s still on the team because the Cowboys anticipate he’ll be their QB1 for the 2024 season. And no team, at this point, is going to negotiate a contract with him, 1) because Jerry Jones has not ok’d it, and 2) any trade requires Dak’s expressed consent. That’s very limiting. If Dak said “I only agree to be traded to the Raiders, no other team” what, under those circumstances, would the Raiders offer in trade? Maybe a 6th round draft choice simply to get it done. My guess is he’d love to go elsewhere, but it will only be for compensation he believes he’s worth. When he becomes a free agent he’ll simply take the offer he likes the most.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I hate it when people act like that can't be worked out. It's more so to keep most guys from going to Cleveland (in the past) or some other graveyard franchise.
Exactly…and thankfully Deshaun is stuck there lol.

Reactions: CWR

zekecowboy

Reaction score
There are some that believe if the plan is to start Trey why not cut Dak and commit. I say why? Why cut Dak? They are paying him any way.

He wants a new contract if it is with Dallas or any other team. He will be forced to play the best football of his life and I am not talking implementing the new scheme to get Lamb open. I am talking about spreading the ball around and putting this team on His back. (I do not believe he is capable of it but maybe he will surprise me) Win

If Dak comes out and lays an egg like he did to begin last season I think He gets the Hook. Even then he would make a great back up and if He does get His Job back. He will have incentive to play his heart out because no one is gonna pay a QB that can't keep his job

Keeping Dak even if the plan is to go with lance in a rebuild is a win win

Besides, all of these years of tears will be quenched watching Dak hold the clip board with a Poopy face
If Dak is not elite,
Dallas must remove his cleats, with too much pay, Dallas must find a new way.

plymkr

Reaction score
There are some that believe if the plan is to start Trey why not cut Dak and commit. I say why? Why cut Dak? They are paying him any way.

He wants a new contract if it is with Dallas or any other team. He will be forced to play the best football of his life and I am not talking implementing the new scheme to get Lamb open. I am talking about spreading the ball around and putting this team on His back. (I do not believe he is capable of it but maybe he will surprise me) Win

If Dak comes out and lays an egg like he did to begin last season I think He gets the Hook. Even then he would make a great back up and if He does get His Job back. He will have incentive to play his heart out because no one is gonna pay a QB that can't keep his job

Besides, all of these years of tears will be quenched watching Dak hold the clip board with a Poopy face
Based on the premise that in 2025 Dak is not going to be here then cut him today.

Now the reason why is because of Trey. Trey is in the last year of his contract. So we need to see what Trey can do in our system and if we can make him a starter. We can’t do that if Dak is here.

Now I want to be clear, I’m saying this if only a decision has been made that Dak will not be the QB in 2025 and Trey does not resign for more years at a team friendly contract. Only under that premise I want Dak cut.

What I really want to see is a Trey extension for 3-4 million a year for 2 years before the season starts.

What I am trying to avoid is what I’ve said is the worst case scenario for us. Worst case scenario is Dak plays good in the regular season, gets us 10-12 wins, we lose first round in the playoffs, we draft in the late 20’s, Dak walks and Trey walks and they both excel for other teams and we have to find a QB with a low draft pick.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not say it could not happen. I am speaking of Jerry's options. The only one that Jerry holds to jettison him is to cut him.
I say do not do it. Keep him and let it play out. Let the top 10 QB . . . MVP runner up . . . fight and scratch for his next contract or if he falls on his face let the other QB who wants a new contract give it a go

If the season is about to start and Dak is super salty. I would welcome a trade. But that is all on Dak and out of Jerry's hands
No, he is not worthy of 1 more season of the Deer in the Headlights show.
We have enough pain and despair with this most inept QB ruining the show for us and esp the rest of his talented teammates.
Ditch the Dak June the 1st Jerry and let the new road to glory begin early than later!
Another year of Prescotto is a total waste of precious time!!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Exactly and I explained most of that to him on a prior thread. It's not complicated. I also would have been ok bringing him back, until we refused to build around him. I'm hard pressed to see a threat in our rb room. I'm hard pressed to believe in these coaches to establish a run game. The oline coach is still on staff, the running game coordinator still has a job. The line may or may not improve THIS year, but with all the other factors staying the same I don't believe Dak has enough to overcome it. So why waste a year, not let Lance play and end up with a middling draft selection?
Good point about the coaches remaining the same. Goes up to the OC and HC as well.

Oline is getting worse.
We lost a 2nd Team All Pro and a solid average starting C. We added two rookie projects. Should get some improvement out of Steele.
RB is worse. Pollard wasn't much, but he was more than Zeke.
WR is marginally worse losing Gallup and adding nothing.

Ceedee and Ferguson were good and should be again. But that's status quo, not an improvement.

The bar was *so* low to improve at RB, yet we signed one of the few vets who looked worse than the borderline PS players we already had.

Reactions: CWR

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Actually, not everyone insists upon cutting Dak -- it's just the thousands of fans who don't believe he's likely to change his ways anytime soon. :huh:
When he's preparing to enter the most important games in the playoffs with a "deer in the headlights" look on his face, it's never a good sign!!! :grin:

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Because we need his 2024 $29 million base salary for the cap.

We are cap broke.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Based on the premise that in 2025 Dak is not going to be here then cut him today.

Now the reason why is because of Trey. Trey is in the last year of his contract. So we need to see what Trey can do in our system and if we can make him a starter. We can’t do that if Dak is here.

Now I want to be clear, I’m saying this if only a decision has been made that Dak will not be the QB in 2025 and Trey does not resign for more years at a team friendly contract. Only under that premise I want Dak cut.

What I really want to see is a Trey extension for 3-4 million a year for 2 years before the season starts.

What I am trying to avoid is what I’ve said is the worst case scenario for us. Worst case scenario is Dak plays good in the regular season, gets us 10-12 wins, we lose first round in the playoffs, we draft in the late 20’s, Dak walks and Trey walks and they both excel for other teams and we have to find a QB with a low draft pick.
There is a very good chance the worst can happen, or even likely happen, with our bozos in charge.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
For the same reason Garrett was not re-signed after 10 years of not winning the Super Bowl.

At some point you have to try something different, what you've been doing isn't reaching your desired goal.

Simple as that.

John813

Reaction score
Is there a board wide amnesia on Dak and his contract?

This is beyond beating a dead horse topic.

The posters who dislike Dak, will always dislike him and want him gone
The posters who like Dak, want him to stay.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is measurably slow in the processing; he panics and just makes horrible decisions at the worst times.
Dak needed more time and why this team invested so much 2024 draft stock into OL, Jerry is basically saying c'mon Dak, Im drafting
in order to give you possibly a second longer maybe less to actually look off your primary WR.
An obvious and easy example of that is the cd int against gb. Panic no thinking whatsoever.

I am sure there are more subtle examples that very much effect our offense