Why draft a back 4th overall if you’re not willing to pay him?

jsb357

Reaction score
if the players don't like the terms of the CBA they can sell insurance or cars.

if be plays out his contract and plays two years under the tag he'll make 44.67 million over the next 4 years

aria

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.
They were morons for taking him 4th overall and may have finally come to their senses. They can help correct their mistake by not paying him a ridiculous amount of money.

Batman1980

Reaction score
They were morons for taking him 4th overall and may have finally come to their senses. They can help correct their mistake by not paying him a ridiculous amount of money.

If they can get out of Zeke with at least a 2nd round pick, I'm happy. 2nd round pick in the 2020 draft coupled with Pollard and Alf toting the rock this year works for me.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Belly just took Michel in the 1st.

Belly values the RB position higher than most. However, he knows what's important in a RB, and also understands that overpaying players leads to playoff losses.
He did not take Michel 4th overall. He took him 31st.

The difference is everything. Consider it this way....what would it take a team in draft compensation to jump from 31 to 4 in any given draft? A baseline? Falcons jumped from 27 to 6 and it cost them a two firsts a second and two fourths. Now realize the jump between 31 and 4 is even bigger.

The point? Trying to compare the two investments in the running back position is awful misleading and wrong and people should stop doing it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they can get out of Zeke with at least a 2nd round pick, I'm happy. 2nd round pick in the 2020 draft coupled with Pollard and Alf toting the rock this year works for me.

No offense intended, but those seem like pretty low standards to me.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The Cowboys want Zeke on the field, and they want him happy.

No, they don’t have to pay him now, but the fact is that he has outperformed his contract. If they can resign him now, it actually may make more sense than resigning him 2-3 years from now. Once the two sides have agreed on a number that reflects his value and fair market without hurting the team, the RB will be locked up for 4 additional years, and that is likely to be his final contract with Dallas unless a super bowl is won and he’s still highly productive. If either is untrue, you let him move on.

Bottom line is that Zeke is good enough that you aren’t just thinking about the next two years, you are probably willing to do a new contract now which follows him through a 7 year career rather than wait and be hoping he holds up for a 9-10 year career. The Cowboys will pay him now and view it as paying him his value in the prime of his career rather than either losing him in 2 years or extending him to big money that may go beyond his prime.

Only Zeke and his agent can screw this up by insisting on making more than some other contract already proven unwise for another team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not worth a top 5 pick. Too many off the field questions and the big contract coming doesn't help.

Oh, I agree with you on that. And I don't think anyone would give up anything like that for him.

But only getting a second round pick for him, and then thinking about relying on Pollard and Morris? That's just depressing man!
:(

Chuck 54

Reaction score
He's not worth a top 5 pick. Too many off the field questions and the big contract coming doesn't help.
I see your point, but you have to remember it’s not just “worth a top 5 pick,” but was he worth a top 5 pick in that particular draft. Clearly, we were on the Bosa train and would have taken him over Zeke. I’m sure we entertained draft trade offers, but didn’t pull the trigger. We could have taken Ramsey, but he had his own issues, plus we were just coming off a bad CB contract in free agency and hadn’t had the success with CB’s wed expected.

kskboys

Reaction score
He did not take Michel 4th overall. He took him 31st.

The difference is everything. Consider it this way....what would it take a team in draft compensation to jump from 31 to 4 in any given draft? A baseline? Falcons jumped from 27 to 6 and it cost them a two firsts a second and two fourths. Now realize the jump between 31 and 4 is even bigger.

The point? Trying to compare the two investments in the running back position is awful misleading and wrong and people should stop doing it.
I wasn't, and I'm not sure why you are.

The statement was made that Belly does not value RB's. I was merely pointing out that it is not true, and Michel was just one of the examples.

The point? Work on your reading comprehension and try to understand the other guy's point before flying off the handle w/ irrelevant info. That is what YOU should stop doing.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Oh, I agree with you on that. And I don't think anyone would give up anything like that for him.

But only getting a second round pick for him, and then thinking about relying on Pollard and Morris? That's just depressing man!
:(

With Coop, Cobb, Gallup, Witten and Jarwin, I actually think our passing game will be a strength this year. Probably the best it's been since 2014. Running game may become secondary and that's okay as long as Dak's up to the task.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Coop, Cobb, Gallup, Witten and Jarwin, I actually think our passing game will be a strength this year. Probably the best it's been since 2014. Running game may become secondary and that's okay as long as Dak's up to the task.

Too huge of a dropoff in my book. I'd be looking elsewhere for better options at running back.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
All this handwringing over paying a 24 year old running back is ludicrous considering they spent a top 5 pick on him just a few seasons ago. All he’s done in 3 seasons is justify his draft position, and now we’re not willing to pay a back because of our philosophy? How does that make any sense?

They look like morons for taking him 4th overall if they’re not willing to pay him.

I'm a big believer in not taking a RB that high but I don't think they have a problem paying a RB big money. It just so happens that this particular RB has been a complete headache off the field and is unworthy of what he is asking and by the way is asking for it a year too early to boot. If Zeke was clean off the field, he'd be the highest paid RB in the league right now.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in not taking a RB that high but I don't think they have a problem paying a RB big money. It just so happens that this particular RB has been a complete headache off the field and is unworthy of what he is asking and by the way is asking for it a year too early to boot. If Zeke was clean off the field, he'd be the highest paid RB in the league right now.

Pretty much, too many question marks to justify this crybaby nonsense.

blueblood70

Reaction score

they will pay him but maybe not ALL he wants.. this is negotiation not an instant give me 15 per and done, its business bro..asking 2 years early isnt the norm so why is this surprise the FO is pushing back.. we have a team to build and AC, Dak, and zeke all need to get signed asap..hard to figure who gets what when this happens.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The Cowboys want Zeke on the field, and they want him happy.

No, they don’t have to pay him now, but the fact is that he has outperformed his contract. If they can resign him now, it actually may make more sense than resigning him 2-3 years from now. Once the two sides have agreed on a number that reflects his value and fair market without hurting the team, the RB will be locked up for 4 additional years, and that is likely to be his final contract with Dallas unless a super bowl is won and he’s still highly productive. If either is untrue, you let him move on.

Bottom line is that Zeke is good enough that you aren’t just thinking about the next two years, you are probably willing to do a new contract now which follows him through a 7 year career rather than wait and be hoping he holds up for a 9-10 year career. The Cowboys will pay him now and view it as paying him his value in the prime of his career rather than either losing him in 2 years or extending him to big money that may go beyond his prime.

Only Zeke and his agent can screw this up by insisting on making more than some other contract already proven unwise for another team.
pay him all that money, and if IM Leighton, I will do the exact same thing. Looks like he is gonna outperform his rookie deal also. What about Smith? better pay him early also..... screw that. We can not set a precedent, because it will kill us in the future.

aria

Reaction score
I’d do that in a heartbeat, next year is supposed to be another deep RB class as well.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I think they had every intention of paying him when they made the pick and his on-field performance justified it. If there's any question about paying him now Zeke has himself to thank for that, largely due to his off-field behavior.

Can he be trusted or will he do something stupid (again) to make himself unavailable?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So the reason to sign him is to avoid looking like a moron?

The 4th pick spent on Zeke is a sunk cost. You're not getting it back and it's completely irrelevant to the current decision. At this point, you can only do what you deem best for the team going forward.

He wasn't worth the 4th pick of the draft then, and he's not worth a Gurley contract now.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I wasn't, and I'm not sure why you are.

The statement was made that Belly does not value RB's. I was merely pointing out that it is not true, and Michel was just one of the examples.

The point? Work on your reading comprehension and try to understand the other guy's point before flying off the handle w/ irrelevant info. That is what YOU should stop doing.
You allege that Bill values the RB more than most. What evidence of this do you have? You naturally in a thread about Zeke bring up that Michel was a 1st rounder. If not to use that factoid as a point of comparison why bring it up at all?

Again I say what makes you believe this about Bill? Please share with me draft capital and dollars invested in any single rb that shows this is true for Bill.