Why has the offense gone so far down hill?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to assume you do not actually watch the games. No one in their right mind thinks Dak is more accurate than Cooper Rush. Dak's tendency to throw high or behind receivers has been a common complaint for the last three to four years.
Dak not being able to read defenses has also been a common complaint since 2017. Both of these issues are also highlighted in his scouting report.
So you're either not watching the games, or you're not paying attention when you do.
I'm more charitable than you are. I assume you watch the games and pay attention, but you have no idea what you're seeing.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm not scapegoating at all. I am identifying the problem and proposing a solution. I troubleshoot computer systems for a living. This is what I do.. I find out why the system isn't doing what it's supposed to do and then I tell the customer what he needs to do to get it working like it's supposed to. Sometimes it's replace hardware. Sometimes it's patch the software. Sometimes it's stop running backups over the network during the busiest time of your production day and wonder why your users' network performance is in the crapper. When I troubleshoot these issues one of the first questions I ask is when did it start.. Then I ask what changed around that time.. In the Cowboys case what changed was we promoted an experienced ex-QB from the Mountain West to offensive coordinator and paired him with a young QB who was trying to take his game to the next level as a passer. Over the last 4 weeks we have replaced some hardware.. the QB.. and in doing so the OC has had to change his software.. He can't run the 2 terabyte database of plays because the new CPU isn't as fast as the other one and new system doesn't have as much memory. So the OC is having to run a scaled down version of his application (offense.) And it's working.. in much the same way that scaled down version of the application worked with the old QB.. So the question now becomes when the old QB comes back.. do we keep running the same program the one that is working maybe adding in a few more lines of code that the replacement CPU can't run.. Or do we reboot the system and start up the one that burned up the CPU before?
Was Dak audibling out of the the run? That's what KMo said. I don't think it's that simple, although there is no doubt that KMo was promoted way too early.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was Dak audibling out of the the run? That's what KMo said. I don't think it's that simple, although there is no doubt that KMo was promoted way too early.

He said it for one game.. The mediots also glossed over the fact that any audibles the QB makes are a product of the work done in practice and film study during the week. No QB is out there checking to plays that aren't part of what the OC has laid out. That includes Dak. If he HAS been doing that then there is HUGE problem in Cowboy-land. If that were truly the case we'd already know about it.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Based on what, total yardage? That's just a dumb stat. Wish Football Outsiders didn't have a paywall. Good stats there, but I'm cheap.

Some of you played very close attention to Dak's stats. Now...the stats are dumb. Lol.

Mark

Reaction score
Were they really that good last season? A few of the games they were able to pile up stats against NFC East doormats. Take away those games and the offense is far less dominating.

I don't think Dak coming back is going to make that big of a difference. There will be a minimal improvement at best, and I base this off the awful performance in week 1. Dak accounted for 3 points - thats it. I will be surprised if the offense makes any noticeable improvement at all.

Totally agree. Dak can only hurt this team, and screw up the formula that's been working thus far this season. The only "stat" that matters is the W/L column...and Dak sits at 18-18 his last 36 games. As much as I have rooted for him, Dak brings ZERO positive intangibles to the table as currently set - and several potential negatives capable of upsetting the entire apple cart.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
The Dak led Cowboys were good for 3 points in 3 1/2 quarters this year.

What do you expect to change?

One game? Here's what your BOY WONDER Cooper did against the Rams. Thank goodness we have a defense..

This is how our offense performed.

Cowboys possessions against the Rams: -
4 plays, 5 yds, FG
6 plays, 14 yds, Punt
4 plays, 19 yds, Punt
3 plays, 75 yds, TD
4 plays, 20 yds, Punt
- End of Half -
13 plays, 53 yds, FG
3 plays, 10 yds, Punt
9 plays, 35 yds, FG
3 plays, 2 yds, Punt
- End of Game -

That won't cut it. We need a better offense. Dak gives us that better offense. Period!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
One game? Here's what your BOY WONDER Cooper did against the Rams. Thank goodness we have a defense..

This is how our offense performed.

4 plays, 5 yds, FG
6 plays, 14 yds, Punt
4 plays, 19 yds, Punt
3 plays, 75 yds, TD
4 plays, 20 yds, Punt
- End of Half -
13 plays, 53 yds, FG
3 plays, 10 yds, Punt
9 plays, 35 yds, FG
3 plays, 2 yds, Punt
- End of Game -

That won't cut it. We need a better offense. Dak gives us that better offense. Period!
My boy wonder?

Are you not a Cowboys fan?

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Totally agree. Dak can only hurt this team, and screw up the formula that's been working thus far this season. The only "stat" that matters is the W/L column...and Dak sits at 18-18 his last 36 games. As much as I have rooted for him, Dak brings ZERO positive intangibles to the table as currently set - and several potential negatives capable of upsetting the entire apple cart.

And where you think we're going to be with this output with Rush as QB?

4 plays, 5 yds, FG
6 plays, 14 yds, Punt
4 plays, 19 yds, Punt
3 plays, 75 yds, TD
4 plays, 20 yds, Punt
- End of Half -
13 plays, 53 yds, FG
3 plays, 10 yds, Punt
9 plays, 35 yds, FG
3 plays, 2 yds, Punt
- End of Game -

doomsday9084

Reaction score
In Dallas' 4 wins with rush, they have averaged 23 points. A lot of that was trying to run the clock out with a lead.

Including and after the Denver game last year, Dallas averaged 24 points per game if you take out the Philly and Washington blowouts. Some people take those games as meaningful, others look at them as teams who were just mailing it in.

Dallas averaged 32 per game before the Denver game last year. That was truly the #1 offense everyone cites. IMHO, Denver really did figure something out and Dallas has never got past it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I am definitely a Cowboys fan. Both....Dak and Cooper. Can you say the same?
I guess I'm just confused as to why you referred to him as MY boy and not OUR boy then?

I put a bigger emphasis on wins instead of PPG.

Can you say the same?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

4 plays, 5 yds, FG
6 plays, 14 yds, Punt
4 plays, 19 yds, Punt
3 plays, 75 yds, TD
4 plays, 20 yds, Punt
- End of Half -
13 plays, 53 yds, FG
3 plays, 10 yds, Punt
9 plays, 35 yds, FG
3 plays, 2 yds, Punt
- End of Game -
You post this as if we didn't win by 2 TDs.

You're such a Cowboys fan.

Mark

Reaction score

4 plays, 5 yds, FG
6 plays, 14 yds, Punt
4 plays, 19 yds, Punt
3 plays, 75 yds, TD
4 plays, 20 yds, Punt
- End of Half -
13 plays, 53 yds, FG
3 plays, 10 yds, Punt
9 plays, 35 yds, FG
3 plays, 2 yds, Punt
- End of Game -

Well, right now, you're at 4-0. (Our franchise QB produced 3 pts. in Week 1.)

Personally, I like the way things are trending.

Romotil45

Reaction score
How many NFL teams would have a high caliber offense without their starting QB?

Alot of poor teams pad stats at the end of games due to teams playing prevent defense. When you look at Dak's stats you see alot of that in losses. I would say throwing talent wise Dak is better but Rush may actually read defense better. Dak has more experience and with this defense you dont want to get into high scoring games you want to run the ball and win time of possession. Dak will play when he is healthy and proves he can make the type of throws Rush can make. I like Rush I believe we can win with him but Dak would be my guy when he is ready. I don''t think there is any QB controversy.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Amari was a real #1 WR. Also, TE play in the passing game is almost non existent now. We’ll see what happens when Dak returns. I’m betting we won’t see a deviation too far from what’s working now.