Why has the offense gone so far down hill?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The formula for winning games is the same for both QB's but losing the starter kind of forced the coaches into calling the kind of game they needed in order to win. say what you want but cooper rush had better stats in games 2,3, and 4 than Dak did in game 1. The only reason you bring back Dak is because they know he can throw for 300 yards as he's done it.

Dre11

Reaction score
Were they really that good last season? A few of the games they were able to pile up stats against NFC East doormats. Take away those games and the offense is far less dominating.

I don't think Dak coming back is going to make that big of a difference. There will be a minimal improvement at best, and I base this off the awful performance in week 1. Dak accounted for 3 points - thats it. I will be surprised if the offense makes any noticeable improvement at all.

I'd like to know why other teams that played those doormats didn't pile up stats against them:facepalm:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When your offense plays mistake free football, limits penalties, and doesn't turn the ball over at all then you don't need to score 35 PPG to compete.

This way works.

How many games this season do you see us needing 35-40 to win with the defense we have?
I don’t disagree with your premise but Sun against the rams, we had 10 first downs and 10 completions for just over 100 yards. It was good enough Sun for sure. But no defense in this modern era can hold opponents to 10 points every week. We may not need 40 points very often but we may need more than 20-23.

Cooper Rush has done a great job but that kind of production is not going to hold up for 17 games. I’m not knocking Rush but just making sure we realize what he’s giving us is not enough to be the kind of team that can win games in the playoffs. Just keeping it real.

cguy610

Reaction score
I feel like people commenting here don't even watch the games. The defense and special teams basically pitched a shutout. The defense scored a touchdown and they had a blocked punt that led to a field goal.

Cooper Rush could have had 0 yards passing and Dallas wins that game 17-10 from Tony Pollards long touchdown run.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I feel like people commenting here don't even watch the games. The defense and special teams basically pitched a shutout. The defense scored a touchdown and they had a blocked punt that led to a field goal.

Cooper Rush could have had 0 yards passing and Dallas wins that game 17-10 from Tony Pollards long touchdown run.
But don't you get it. When we lose and Dak plays, it's his fault. When we win and Dak plays, it's the team that needed to carry him or it was a weak opponent.

But if we win and anybody but Dak plays, they win and it's a notch in their belt. If we lose it's because the team played bad and not the QBs fault.

Once you fully grasp that, then it all will make sense.

But if you asked me. Dak does need some support to win. But he is better than rush. 13 points and 100 passing yards in NFL won't get you that many wins

Cmac

Reaction score
It has dropped stat wise, but I will commend KMoore (which I usually don't) for the game management scheme. The big question will be when Dak returns, will the scheme forget about the run game again? And that will not just be on Dak.......but KMoore too. We have got to get to being more efficient in the Red Zone with TDs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But don't you get it. When we lose and Dak plays, it's his fault. When we win and Dak plays, it's the team that needed to carry him or it was a weak opponent.

But if we win and anybody but Dak plays, they win and it's a notch in their belt. If we lose it's because the team played bad and not the QBs fault.

Once you fully grasp that, then it all will make sense.

But if you asked me. Dak does need some support to win. But he is better than rush. 13 points and 100 passing yards in NFL won't get you that many wins

Get over the fact that Rush is Dak's competition. Any reasonable fan isnt going to say that Rush is the better player. What these trolls do is play on insecurities that whilst Dak is undeniably the better player: he/injuries/play calling/Defense have culminated in us never fulfilling the promise.

The interesting situation is that with the lesser QB we've found a scheme that suits our Offense and with a better QB (with a top Defense) should result in an improved/deep play-off season.

You'll hopefully have the last laugh....the stars are there to align.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This week we'll open things up a bit score 28+
That said we'll offer up a pick, rush isn't superhuman.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Get over the fact that Rush is Dak's competition. Any reasonable fan isnt going to say that Rush is the better player. What these trolls do is play on insecurities that whilst Dak is undeniably the better player: he/injuries/play calling/Defense have culminated in us never fulfilling the promise.

The interesting situation is that with the lesser QB we've found a scheme that suits our Offense and with a better QB (with a top Defense) should result in an improved/deep play-off season.

You'll hopefully have the last laugh....the stars are there to align.
Rush is Daks competition? When did that happen? Perhaps in poopy dog's universe of Republic States of Dak Haters.

We found a scheme? So 13 pts and 102 yards passing is going to translate into a deep playoff run...oookkk then

All this for a guy you wanted to replace in pre season and now you are going gaga

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were a top three offense last year. Now we’re what, 26th? Amari Cooper doesn’t make THAT MUCH difference, but when you add the loss of Tyron Smith, Dak being out the last four weeks, and Gallup missing the first couple of games, is that enough?

So when Dak and Peters and Washington all come back, how much difference will it make?
We played two super bowl teams and a good divisional rival. It ain't like we are squeaking by bad teams. Saving those for Dak to get warmed up with.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush is Daks competition? When did that happen? Perhaps in poopy dog's universe of Republic States of Dak Haters.

We found a scheme? So 13 pts and 102 yards passing is going to translate into a deep playoff run...oookkk then

All this for a guy you wanted to replace in pre season and now you are going gaga
Against the super bowl champs, who were going to destroy our offense. . How is that not a SOLID win.

I know...last year is last year....but that is as "deep into the playoffs" as we can measure at the moment.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Get over the fact AND STOP FIXATING over the fact that Rush is the competition. You're obsessing with comparing the two, or down playing Rush's figures to try and justify Dak's no. 1 status.

Yes, we've found a scheme, run first and continue using that strength.

As per usual you look at the first sentence, determine/ASSUME that the post isnt pro-Dak, insecurity kicks in and you attack.

What im saying (and I doubt you get this far) is that Dak is the no.1 and should play immediately as everything is set up for him to succeed.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Against the super bowl champs, who were going to destroy our offense. . How is that not a SOLID win.

I know...last year is last year....but that is as "deep into the playoffs" as we can measure at the moment.

Funny to watch people compare a back-up QB with 5 career starts with a supposed Top 10 QB with 86 career starts in the way in which the offense performs. If they compared Dak's first 5 career starts with Rush' first 5 career starts they would see the offensive output difference is a FG a game average.......but they can't seem to simply appreciate the 4-game winning streak because it has to be about the fact that Rush isn't as good as Dak when it comes to offensive performance.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Read a tweet the other day where someone pointed out that all teams scale down their playbook with a backup QB and call conservative games. I really hadn't thought of it that way until Jerry mention the potential of big plays when Dak gets back.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
is-that-a-serious-question-are-you-kidding-me.gif

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Read a tweet the other day where someone pointed out that all teams scale down their playbook with a backup QB and call conservative games. I really hadn't thought of it that way until Jerry mention the potential of big plays when Dak gets back.

That sounds good in theory. Problem over the last few times Dak has faced a decent defense has been his execution or lack thereof.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
When Dak comes back and gets his feet under him, the offense will quickly ascend to a much higher level.