Why has the offense gone so far down hill?

Vandyr

Reaction score
I think a big difference, our defense is helping Rush hang in, some may not agree but Dak is allot better than Rush.

A lot better at what? Give me some examples.

He's not more accurate, any fool can see that. Cooper is better at reading defenses, plainly obvious. Cooper is quicker with his read and getting the ball out. Cooper has better awareness. Cooper stays calm where Dak gets panicky.

The only thing I can maybe say Dak is better at is arm strength and mobility,. and he doesn't seem to be willing to use either. So tell me exactly what Dak is "a lot better than Rush" at.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
I am most grateful for Cooper Rush and how he’s managed the last four games for this team. But he’s no top-tier elite quarterback and he’s never gonna put up huge numbers. I could see him having a big game of 300+ yards against an average or poor ranking defense one week but it will be a rarity. As much controversy as there is Dak is a better quarterback overall. Our numbers and rankings will improve when he comes back. Now I’ve always thought Dak also has his limitations that will never allow him to be a top 10 quarterback, but his upside potential is much higher than Cooper Rush.

that said the biggest reason or are lacking offensive production is the receiving corps. It’s not what it was over the past few years. And with Dak Needing to make slower reads this is going to affect our office going forward. We will move up in the rankings when he comes back but not by a whole lot.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
When your offense plays mistake free football, limits penalties, and doesn't turn the ball over at all then you don't need to score 35 PPG to compete.

This way works.

How many games this season do you see us needing 35-40 to win with the defense we have?
You sticking with your 7-10 prediction?:rolleyes::rolleyes::laugh:

jay94

Reaction score
Well Cooper pulled double coverage, or some form of bracketing. That means more open space for every other player. We currently have a bus rider as a qb. He has won us games, but it's clear he's a back up. Lamb for being a no 1 receiver likes to drop a lot of balls that never helps.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
When your offense plays mistake free football, limits penalties, and doesn't turn the ball over at all then you don't need to score 35 PPG to compete.

This way works.

How many games this season do you see us needing 35-40 to win with the defense we have?
Expecting to be able to do that for 17 games is setting yourself up for failure. Look, our defense is good but it isn't the 2000 Ravens yet. You can't expect to play mistake free football for 17 games while only putting up 20 or less per game. It's not going to happen. If our defense reaches that level, maybe but they aren't there yet.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We were a top three offense last year. Now we’re what, 26th? Amari Cooper doesn’t make THAT MUCH difference, but when you add the loss of Tyron Smith, Dak being out the last four weeks, and Gallup missing the first couple of games, is that enough?

So when Dak and Peters and Washington all come back, how much difference will it make?
3 reasons
  1. We were already playing with a severely diminished WR group. Praise Noah Brown all you want, but he’s not Amari Cooper. Plus Gallup just returned.
  2. We are playing with a limited backup QB. Praise Rush all you want, but despite playing within himself, doing much better than expected, he is not as talented or experienced as Dak….period.
  3. The coaches have wisely limited the backup QBs pass attempts per game, especially on 3rd and long, allowing the defense to win games or keep us in games.
If needed, I’m sure they would call plays that called for Rush to maximize his ability, but with our defense, we have only needed 1 TD per game from the offense and some FGs. When we get 2 TDs from the offense, we are in the driver’s seat. They have played the short game most of the time to keep the defense somewhat rested, to avoid turnovers, and to allow Rush to do what he does best - slants, short crossing routes, hitches in the middle of the field, and the occasional downfield pass when man coverage.

I would be worried about the offense even when Dak returns because I don’t think our receivers will ever be as good as last season this year, but if our defense stays healthy, I think 20-24 points can defeat any team on our schedule. While Dak has more mobility and is much better at throwing the deep ball, I think just a tiny bit of each will open up the run game even more, and I hope Kellen will value that and keep running the ball.

khiladi

Reaction score
We have never gotten into a real shootout with Dak as QB either over the course of seven years. The only game one can really argue is TB and that's because the Bucs were content with not even sending help over the side of Amari, while their CBs were playing like 10 yards off him and Dak and him just played pitch and catch all day. Dak couldn't find Amari at all after that game.

It's either getting out to a huge lead early against incredibly bad teams or Dak looking like a sloth processing the field when the game slows down.

Dak-stans just keep re-writing the narratives surrounding a QB who has accomplished nothing in the NFL other than padding his stats in garbage-time. A shoot-out is not being down 4 scores, the opposing defense goes soft prevent and you throw a couple of TDs when the opponent is just concerned with playing the clock.

How does anybody know if Rush can't get into a shootout consistently? Guess what, we do know the current 'franchise QB' can't as his 7 years amply attest too...

ESisback

Reaction score
We played two super bowl teams and a good divisional rival. It ain't like we are squeaking by bad teams. Saving those for Dak to get warmed up with.

precisely, and the “super bowl contender” Philly barely got by Detroit and we’re lucky in two other games!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Were they really that good last season? A few of the games they were able to pile up stats against NFC East doormats. Take away those games and the offense is far less dominating.

I don't think Dak coming back is going to make that big of a difference. There will be a minimal improvement at best, and I base this off the awful performance in week 1. Dak accounted for 3 points - thats it. I will be surprised if the offense makes any noticeable improvement at all.

Perfectly said! There will be the typical defensive giving us good field position only for us to go 3 and out or to get a FG, we will struggle Dak will only look to throw it out of desperation to the TE

RonnieT24

Reaction score
We are winning games. Both super bowl teams and a good giants team. Power ranking of 6, but fake fans continge to cry. Smh. Scores are lower against better teams.

Come on man.. it's what fans do.. As a whole we are always bracing for the proverbial other shoe to drop. It's okay.. within reason. If Moore continues to rely on the running game and trust the defense we will continue to win games even if Rush (or Dak) passes for 150 yards every week. We know that the defense is GOING to have at least one bad game this season.. and the fear is that Rush will not be able to lead them to enough points to win a shootout. It's a legitimate concern. But not something one should not get carried away with.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Against the super bowl champs, who were going to destroy our offense. . How is that not a SOLID win.

I know...last year is last year....but that is as "deep into the playoffs" as we can measure at the moment.
It is a solid win....I enjoyed the win. ..all 13 points were solid ...I love this defense and really enjoy watching that front 7 attack like they do..

Defense and special teams almost tied with the rams.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Get over the fact AND STOP FIXATING over the fact that Rush is the competition. You're obsessing with comparing the two, or down playing Rush's figures to try and justify Dak's no. 1 status.

Yes, we've found a scheme, run first and continue using that strength.

As per usual you look at the first sentence, determine/ASSUME that the post isnt pro-Dak, insecurity kicks in and you attack.

What im saying (and I doubt you get this far) is that Dak is the no.1 and should play immediately as everything is set up for him to succeed.
I think you need to get over the fact and come to terms that rush is not Dak competition...but it's obvious that's your wishful thinking ... So sorry for the disappointment

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot better at what? Give me some examples.

He's not more accurate, any fool can see that. Cooper is better at reading defenses, plainly obvious. Cooper is quicker with his read and getting the ball out. Cooper has better awareness. Cooper stays calm where Dak gets panicky.

The only thing I can maybe say Dak is better at is arm strength and mobility,. and he doesn't seem to be willing to use either. So tell me exactly what Dak is "a lot better than Rush" at.
Nobody actually believes this buffoonery, right? It has to be a bit. I hope so anyway.