Why hasn't Dez signed yet

blueblood70

Reaction score
teams are waiting post draft but don't look now marshall was released from the giants..Dez here he comes..

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Surprised if he hasn't gotten at least an offer yet. From a team that figures he will have better chemistry with their QB than he had with Dak.

blueblood70

Reaction score
does it matter , most of you didnt want him anyway, you should be happy hes gone..we can move on and talk about something else..

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I am surprised as I assumed his agent had already felt out some teams to gauge the interest and maybe he has and Dez is holding out to get on with a payback team as he hasn't backed off on that yet.

If I am an East GM, I would be thinking about Dez's showdowns with the best CB's in the past and note what happens when his mindset goes there. And if I were Dez, I would be thinking about how another Cowboys WR wanted revenge against his old team and what transpired with that.

I don't care how far they say he's matured, he's immature and as long as he's carrying on this vendetta in the media, he's only hurting himself. His reaction to what happened might have the teams that were interested backing off and rethinking that.

Even though I think that Dez's skills have declined, I still expected a team to make an offer of some kind, even if it was a short term deal. But, with Dez coming out and talking trash against his former team mates that might have made some teams decide that his diminished skills are not worth the risk. If they're worried about how Dez will react.

If he was at his 2014 best then teams would still be willing to take the risk on him.

Verdict

Reaction score
I've given you the opportunity to provide a single shred of actual evidence to suggest that it was anything other than awful timing. And you haven't. Because there isn't any.

I think it took this amount of time to convince some people - specifically Jerry. I don't think Jerry even realizes that he screwed both Dez and the Cowboys with the timing. In fact, he probably thinks it was just fine. Like some idiot fans do.

I'm saying the guy shouldn't have the job, go from there.

No one really knows why the Cowboys released Dez when they did. It's all conjecture, really.

I do not believe the Cowboys had some vendetta against Dez. If that were the case they would have held on to him much longer because they could have done it for a lot longer period and caused Dez much more heartburn without any problems or detriments to the Cowboys. So I don't think it fits into that narrative at all.

It would have been better for Dez if it had happened earlier. There is no denying that.

The most likely scenarios are that either the Cowboys tried to trade Dez (why wouldn't they try) but there were no takers. It's similar to the Romo deal in that respect. The fact that Dez doesn't seem to have many options sort of substantiates that no one wanted to trade for him.

Then we get to the issue of whether or not the Cowboys knew what they wanted to do with Dez. Maybe they did and maybe they didn't. There is no way of really knowing. But even if they knew they were probably moving on without Dez that doesn't mean that they should do what is best for Dez only. The team should be looking out for its own interests first.

As free agency unfolded and players became available and signed (including Hurns) the dynamics began to change. It was not as critical to keep Dez. I also believe that the Cowboys probably didn't know for sure what direction they would go with Dez until shortly before it happened. That's conjecture, but that's my best guess. I think Dez did or said something that tipped the scales.

It is also a lot closer to the draft and the team has had the opportunity to evaluate draft talent and to make an educated guess about what player may be available at what position in the draft next week.

Some posters are making this all about Dez. The organization owes its fan base and its own interests a higher degree of care than it does to Dez. With Jerry's past affinity for players you are never going to convince me this was a malicious move by the Cowboys.

Verdict

Reaction score
But how do we really know? Has anybody talked to his agent?

If Dez were getting offers it would be to Dez benefit for that to be common knowledge since it presumably drives the asking price up.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one really knows why the Cowboys released Dez when they did. It's all conjecture, really.

I do not believe the Cowboys had some vendetta against Dez. If that were the case they would have held on to him much longer because they could have done it for a lot longer period and caused Dez much more heartburn without any problems or detriments to the Cowboys. So I don't think it fits into that narrative at all.

They couldn't have held onto him longer. Workouts started on Monday and if he got hurt, they were on the hook for his contract.

It would have been better for Dez if it had happened earlier. There is no denying that.

Right. And no positives for the Cowboys in waiting that long.

The most likely scenarios are that either the Cowboys tried to trade Dez (why wouldn't they try) but there were no takers. It's similar to the Romo deal in that respect. The fact that Dez doesn't seem to have many options sort of substantiates that no one wanted to trade for him.

Or it supports the case that they screwed him on the timing?

Then we get to the issue of whether or not the Cowboys knew what they wanted to do with Dez. Maybe they did and maybe they didn't. There is no way of really knowing. But even if they knew they were probably moving on without Dez that doesn't mean that they should do what is best for Dez only. The team should be looking out for its own interests first.

Sure. Again, tell me what good it did for the team by waiting until free agency was dried up?

As free agency unfolded and players became available and signed (including Hurns) the dynamics began to change. It was not as critical to keep Dez. I also believe that the Cowboys probably didn't know for sure what direction they would go with Dez until shortly before it happened. That's conjecture, but that's my best guess. I think Dez did or said something that tipped the scales.

There's a time and a place to make that decision. And April 13th ain't it.

It is also a lot closer to the draft and the team has had the opportunity to evaluate draft talent and to make an educated guess about what player may be available at what position in the draft next week.

Some posters are making this all about Dez. The organization owes its fan base and its own interests a higher degree of care than it does to Dez. With Jerry's past affinity for players you are never going to convince me this was a malicious move by the Cowboys.

I'm not making anything "all about Dez". I'm talking about making a dumb move at the wrong time.

Verdict

Reaction score
They couldn't have held onto him longer. Workouts started on Monday and if he got hurt, they were on the hook for his contract.

Right. And no positives for the Cowboys in waiting that long.

Or it supports the case that they screwed him on the timing?

Sure. Again, tell me what good it did for the team by waiting until free agency was dried up?

There's a time and a place to make that decision. And April 13th ain't it.

I'm not making anything "all about Dez". I'm talking about making a dumb move at the wrong time.

I think you are a good guy, a knowledgeable poster and a great Cowboys fan. I probably agree with you a lot more often than I don't. This isn't one of those times.

I think the fact that you like Dez, the player, is affecting your objectivity a little bit. It sounds like you are saying that the Cowboys held on to Dez for the last possible minute out of malice.

Let's suppose it was the last possible minute (it wasn't because they COULD have chosen to keep him until the final 53 roster cutdown at very little or no additional cost.

I realize it was not to Dez' benefit for the cut to happen as late as it happened. But that doesn't mean that the timing was malicious. The Cowboys tried to trade Romo too.

The team could come out and say "We tried to trade Dez but no one wanted him". If that happened many of you would be complaining that they were saying that to drive Dez' price down even more.

Jerry loves him some Dez. Probably too much. I do not think Jerry did anything to purposefully screw Dez over. You may believe that, but that's really a stretch. I respect your opinion on it. No one can really prove it either way. I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong. But I will say I just can't buy into that narrative.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are a good guy, a knowledgeable poster and a great Cowboys fan. I probably agree with you a lot more often than I don't. This isn't one of those times.

I think the fact that you like Dez, the player, is affecting your objectivity a little bit. It sounds like you are saying that the Cowboys held on to Dez for the last possible minute out of malice.

Likewise. On all counts. But did you ever stop to consider that your open campaign against Dez Bryant has "affected your objectivity a bit"?

Let's suppose it was the last possible minute (it wasn't because they COULD have chosen to keep him until the final 53 roster cutdown at very little or no additional cost.

I already gave you the facts, if he got hurt in the offseason workouts that started the following Monday, they would have been on the hook for his entire contract. Are you purposefully ignoring that fact?

I realize it was not to Dez' benefit for the cut to happen as late as it happened. But that doesn't mean that the timing was malicious. The Cowboys tried to trade Romo too.

The team could come out and say "We tried to trade Dez but no one wanted him". If that happened many of you would be complaining that they were saying that to drive Dez' price down even more.

Or they could have some fans speculating about something they never did in order to help their favorite team look better? If they were trying to trade him, they would have been giving him and his agent the ability to talk to other teams about his contract. And Dez would have said that when he was ultimately released. But not a word was said because it didn't happen.

Jerry loves him some Dez. Probably too much. I do not think Jerry did anything to purposefully screw Dez over. You may believe that, but that's really a stretch. I respect your opinion on it. No one can really prove it either way. I'm not saying I'm right and you are wrong. But I will say I just can't buy into that narrative.

I'm not trying to get anybody to believe that they screwed him over purposefully. I'm just saying that's what they ultimately did.

And they gave themselves no discernible benefit in the process.

The main fact here is that the team did neither themselves, nor Dez Bryant any favors in their timing of this move. And that's all I need to say. People can believe whatever they want to after that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I saw someone opine on twitter that Dez is in no rush to sign anywhere either as he won't feel obligated to workout with is new team right now and possibly even miss voluntary workouts in mid to late May.

I am not sure if that's a good thing for him though.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The main fact here is that the team did neither themselves, nor Dez Bryant any favors in their timing of this move. And that's all I need to say. People can believe whatever they want to after that.

We're all speculating, and mine says it took a while for the inner circle to convince Jerry. He clearly likes Dez and it wouldn't be the first time his feelings clouded a business decision in Dallas.