Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The reason Jerry wanted a 5 year deal was to move the cap money. It's about the cap. Dont use past mistakes to justify paying Dak too much. So you think the Cowboys don't need free agents? They are going to go 100% draft? That would be a rebuild. If the they sign him to 40 million you will see this team average at best. How has Seattle done after the Wilson contract? And Wilson is better than Dak. You cant pay an average quarterback elite money and win a championship.
I understand the cap manipulation that every team does.....if that's really what Jerry wanted , he could have put a poison pill of sorts in the last year, to give Dak and out and give himself the ability to move cap money...the fact he didn't tells us otherwise.

and I never said you don't need FA...I said you can't build a team through FAs...you sign a one or two large contracts at most and sprinkle a few mid level ones where necessary...but you have to build your core through the draft. you can't build your core through FA. by your own account of argument, Dak is a FA and cost too much, which is the exact same story for other FA. they want to be over paid. so why are you ok with over paying these other supposed FA? and according to what you just said there will need to be several of them.

the problem is that we have missed on defensive drafts for 15 years....and you want to over night rebuild the defense by signing FAs...at high prices...awsome!!! when was the last time that worked out for anyone?

Steve007

Reaction score
I understand the cap manipulation that every team does.....if that's really what Jerry wanted , he could have put a poison pill of sorts in the last year, to give Dak and out and give himself the ability to move cap money...the fact he didn't tells us otherwise.

and I never said you don't need FA...I said you can't build a team through FAs...you sign a one or two large contracts at most and sprinkle a few mid level ones where necessary...but you have to build your core through the draft. you can't build your core through FA. by your own account of argument, Dak is a FA and cost too much, which is the exact same story for other FA. they want to be over paid. so why are you ok with over paying these other supposed FA? and according to what you just said there will need to be several of them.

the problem is that we have missed on defensive drafts for 15 years....and you want to over night rebuild the defense by signing FAs...at high prices...awsome!!! when was the last time that worked out for anyone?
That's my point stop overpaying players. If they give Dak what he wants then he will be another overpaid contract. There are too many bad contracts and people want them to continue because Dak is a good guy. Dak is a good but on elite quarterback. You don't pay a good quarterback elite money and expect to win a Superbowl.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Because like Zeke, Dak is selfish and greedy.

Dorky sports fans called the players greedy and selfish when their window to earn is very small and they risk themselves on the field but have zero issues and don't call out owners who try and lowball every player, will cut them whenever they want to save money and put up no risk at all (stadiums are leveraged and funded by taxpayers, guaranteed income every year). You people are ignorant. Good for Dak and Zeke. I hope they bleed every dollar they can out of that scumbag Jerry.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Dal played his first 4 years and make $4.2 million total while giving top 10 production. He shouldn’t be asked to give discounts. He has earned his pay raise. Zeke needs to be giving some discounts.

Please don't bring logic into this. These clowns don't want to hear it. They want to sit on their couches and eat Cheetos and yell at players who are being "greedy" who have been putting in the work since they were little and risk themselves on the field every time. Dorks.

Steve007

Reaction score
I think Jerry knows he needs Dak, that's why he was insistant on signing him to a 5 year deal as opposed to a 4 year deal Dak wanted. Jerry got too smart for his own good and played hard ball when he shouldn't have....why hand Jaylon a large contract when not necessary....he let his friendship and business get in the way of his judgement. why give Zeke the largest RB contract when he had two years left and he could get a RB in draft, but he played fantasy football in his mind. he knew his ammunition with Dak was the franchise tag and he used it. he knows he can do that one more time. just giving himself more time to sit at the table to negotiate again.

Dak is not asking for too much. Dak is a top 10 QB. the NFL market sets the value of a top 10 QB. by all accounts, that's where the negotiations are.....I think Jerry made a mistake...the thinking was to have Dak under contract for a 5th year, in 2023 when salary cap goes up significantly and salaries go up significantly. so at that point, he would have a bargain. instead he could have just signed the 4 year deal and reserve the franchise tag for that 5th year that would have been based on previous contracts and not 2023 salaries.....and it would have amounted to the same thing. now, he cornered himself. and Dak's injury was the best thing that could have happened to Dak. Jerry now clearly sees his value to the team.

and you tell me how giving Dak a contract is going to stop us from building a defense? are you suggesting to go on a FA shopping spree? you complain about Dak as a FA and over paying, yet you think these other FAs, not dallas related are going to give the "home town" discount everyone is asking for? would you not complain about over paying these other FA? Clowney wanted 20M a year...he settled for 16M. that's over paying for lack of production. the problem hasn't been signing mid level or high end FAs....we signed Jaylon, Lawrence and were able to sign Poe, McCoy, Griffin and Worley....the problem is Lawrence and Jaylon aren't playing to the level of their contract...two of the largest for their position in the league. and we happened to sign the wrong FA at mid level where other teams tend to find the right ones, for the same price...

so tell me again, how signing Dak is going to stop you from building a defense and why?
So tell me how giving Dak 40 miillion is going to make the Cowboys better? Obviously the Cowboys don't think he is as good as you think. You would have signed him but the Cowboys have't. Jerry may cave in and pay him, but if he does the Cowboys are stuck right where they are now (mediocre)

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Tell me all of the QB's drafted ahead of Prescott in 2016 that have set several NFL records like Prescott has done? Just about EVERYONE in the sporting world now says the Cowboys got perhaps the biggest steal in the 2016 draft with Prescott.

Let me put your greed thinking into perspective for you. Lets say that you work for a company that gave all your peers the market value for your job but when it came to you your peers start to yell to take less pay because if you do then the rest of us can get a little bonus because the payroll is under a certain level. Are you going to take less pay just to help your peers or are you going to think of yourself and your family and say that you're going to take the market value amount? People like you find it so easy to talk about other people's money and what they should do but when the shoe is on the other foot then things are different.
Dak's records????? When you're down double digits in the 1st quarter it's not hard to rack up numbers at a RECORD pace. If anything teams have been jumping into their prevent defenses at a RECORD pace if we're be honest with each other! At the beginning of games the Cowboy's leader along with his offense teammates have been shakier than a team of hairless Chihuahuas pulling a dog sled in 10 degree weather. How many opening drive TDs does this suppose to be this top whatever QB have in the past two seasons..................ZIP, ZERO, NONE! This dude reeks when is comes to the 1st quarter in games, top 10 QB's are suppose to bring fear into the minds of opposing teams!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Most realize Dak probably isn't quite worth the money he's asking for. But that's not the point & is frankly irrelevant at this juncture.

It's business & Dallas played it wrong. Now Dak holds all the cards & he's going to try & get paid max dollars just like every other player does who is chasing their 1st contract. Boom!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's my point stop overpaying players. If they give Dak what he wants then he will be another overpaid contract. There are too many bad contracts and people want them to continue because Dak is a good guy. Dak is a good but on elite quarterback. You don't pay a good quarterback elite money and expect to win a Superbowl.
is Martin over paid? is tyrone over paid? you don't over pay the wrong players, ala Zeke, Jaylon...but when you have players that produce, then overpaying slightly is better than not having them.

Dak is a top 10 QB. no doubt. is that elite? what's elite? you found your QB, you pay, otherwise you go chasing the QB and waste years at it (or did you forget what happened after Aikman).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So tell me how giving Dak 40 miillion is going to make the Cowboys better? Obviously the Cowboys don't think he is as good as you think. You would have signed him but the Cowboys have't. Jerry may cave in and pay him, but if he does the Cowboys are stuck right where they are now (mediocre)
offense starts with QB. you pay and keep your QB...we saw, clearly this year that the offense is 1/3 or 1/4 of what it could be without Dak...and please please please don't say Dalton got 3 wins...he did. against three teams with 4 wins and their back up QBs and getting 9 turnovers to help him. he sucked. royally sucked otherwise. so who is your future QB? watson? he makes 40? draft? 4 out of 5 first round picks fail. and we don't have a top 5 pick....you want to play lottery and tell me KC got Mahomes at 10th spot, I will show you 40 other top 10s that failed....suffice it to say its a big big gamble.

and we have to figure out how to draft better defensively.....without that. even if we get a high school QB playing for 7.50/hr and 40M on the cap ain't going to fix the defense. 44 draft picks since 2005...44 defensive players selected, we have Lawrence and Perhaps Jones as impact players.....that's 44 picks, from top 10 to 7th round....and not sure if Lawrence and Jones are the type of dominant players we can be overly proud....neither is ever going to be considered for HOF...not even close....in the meantime we have picked tons offensively. found tons offensively. CD, Gallup, Martin, Smith, Collins, Dak, Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, Schultz, Fredrick, Biadasz, all offensive players that produce with high potentials. yet we can't get close defensively....why? until we fix that, Dak gives us the best chance to succeed. and when was the last time any team spent high dollars on a bunch of defensive players and built a team that found any level of success. how are you going to account for the drop in QB play and improve the team? FA is over priced and you over pay. there is not one single defensive player that can take this defense from bottom feeding to average. you need a bunch and there isn't enough money to do that through FA....

I don't understand, you are so against paying Dak, yet so willing to go pay a bunch of defensive FAs and over pay for them. like I said a bunch of them not just one...

until we can draft a few good defensive players...we are stuck at medicore, if we lose Dak we become bottom feeding and medicore will be a long gone dream.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dak's records????? When you're down double digits in the 1st quarter it's not hard to rack up numbers at a RECORD pace. If anything teams have been jumping into their prevent defenses at a RECORD pace if we're be honest with each other! At the beginning of games the Cowboy's leader along with his offense teammates have been shakier than a team of hairless Chihuahuas pulling a dog sled in 10 degree weather. How many opening drive TDs does this suppose to be this top whatever QB have in the past two seasons..................ZIP, ZERO, NONE! This dude reeks when is comes to the 1st quarter in games, top 10 QB's are suppose to bring fear into the minds of opposing teams!

You sound EXACTLY like a fan who THINKS he's a coach. There isn't an NFL coach anywhere that even with a double digit lead in the 1st quarter that start doing prevent defenses. That's just your fan mentality talking. If anything they put the pedal to the metal and try to build an even bigger lead that early in a game. You're also another one that wants to put all of the losses and bad things that happen on ONLY the QB and forget that it's a team sport and EVERY player has to do their job not just the QB. Maybe if the defense kept the other teams out of the end zone maybe they wouldn't have a double digit deficit in the 1st quarter. Maybe if the Cowboys didn't to start their drives 75, 80, 85, 90 yards from a TD they would have gotten more. Going by your way of thinking that in every game that a team doesn't score on their opening drive they must have a crappy QB. So Wilson and Brady and Rodgers and Mahomes all must be crappy QB because they have had games where they didn't score on their opening drives.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
why is Dak allowing his contract saga to continue this long ? This is a great town with great state tax savings , and prime time endorsements , which Dak has already cashed in on . After all , Jerry selected Dak in the 4th round while others passed on him . Jerry surrounded him with the most expensive OL RB WR combos to succeed .

The cowboys need all the savings to fix the Defense . They spent the least money on defense among all NFL teams in 2020 61.4 Mil , except for the jets .

Yet ,Dak is not relenting one inch for the sake of this team like Mahomes or Brady and others did to help their teams .

look at the fabulous discount Mahomes gave the chiefs . A dream contract by all means for a super bowl winner . The chiefs were able to spend big on defense last year , spending 97 mil to stack up their defense ( 6th highest investment in defense among all teams ) . Mahomes cap hit was actually 5.3 mil in 2020 . If he continues to play this good , his cap hit will be 24.8 mil in 2021 , and 31.5 in 2022 . This is how you win Super Bowls !!!

In contrast, Dak’s cap hit last year was 31.4 Mil and now wants 40 mil a year.?? On top of the mistake expensive zeke and other contracts ?
This is how you remain irrelevant and 25 years away from a super bowl appearance !!

Who cares ?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
this is total bullshiet that teams have been going into prevent defenses right away.....I call bullshiet..... we have been average in scoring in first, second, third quarter and much better than many in the 4th....that's quarter by quarter score....defensively we have been very bad in first, second and third quarter......

Dallas 2019 scoring ranks by quarter
1st - 18th
2nd - 6th
3rd - 15th
4th - 2nd

compare that to the defense by quarter in 2019
1st - 21st
2nd - 12th
3rd - 17th
4th - 2nd

and lets compare the first 5 games of 2020,
Offense first 5 games based on final results would have ranked
1st - 15th
2nd - 2nd
3rd - 5th
4th - 1st

and lets compare that to defensive performance by quarter in the first 5 games
1st - 32nd
2nd - 32nd
3rd - 18th
4th - 18th

the defense sucked early and often. the offense was average in 1st and top 5 in average per quarter for 2nd and 3rd quarter...

so this made up fantasy, perception about offense being slow, behind, etc.....makes no sense when you look at the numbers and facts....its perception, driven by a mental agenda to formulate something against the offense to fit the agenda to blame it on Dak...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Lots more than one.

Foles
Doug Williams
Brad Johnson
Joe Flacco
Plunkett
Eli Manning
Mark Rypien
Jeff Hostetler
I think you can throw out any QB that played in a non salary cap era.....

but Eli manning, got lucky with a defense that caught fire at the end of the year, once they got all their players back.....and Eli was the highest paid player on his team.

Joe Flacco had the pleasure of playing with Reed, Lewis and Ngata, Terrell Suggs, two of whom are HOFers...and one a borderline HOFer...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, just tag Dak with a None Exclusive and be done with it. That should have been what we did a year ago but we didn't. Allow the market to dictate his contract. If the price is too high, collect the two first round picks and lets be done with it. If it turns out that his contract is not in the 40 AAV range, then sign him to a deal and lets go win games.

This is the best situation for everybody IMO.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah, w/ Herbert and Burrow and Lawrence coming up, highly doubtful Dak will be in the super bowl pic if we pay him 40 mil.

They're all AFC. But then again, Dallas has a hard time building a good team without having to pay big money to the quarterback.

basel90

Reaction score
By the time any new signing starts costing huge money, zeke won’t matter because you can move on from him if you want as well as Cooper
agree. hope jerry is controlled by stephen by then not to make any new emotional PR signinigs

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Lol there is nothing greedy about other than fact that one doesn’t just like him for some reason.

He has same stats and better win % than Watson, Geoff & Wentz. He never got first round money and was severaley underpaid for four years.

All these hating fans needs to stop lying about their true intents and just say “ I JUST DON’T LIKE DAK” I am just being a real hater.

Dak was fourth round pick,, not a single team in this league would have made that blunder.
Your lips move much faster than your brain functions.

Flamma

Reaction score
he is top 10. I don't say that. NFL evaluators of 32 teams say that. and why are we at a disadvantage if we pay Dak? and those QBs had better teams around them because they drafted better. Dilfer had Reed, Lewis and few others on the defense and all time best defense and were all drafted by their team. Hostetler had a team around him that was drafted. and he played when there was no cap. same with Plunket....so comparing today's NFL to those of Plunket and Hostetler is totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Ravens, Giants, SF, didn't build through FA. they build through draft.....draft better and all the problems go away. we just don't draft well defensively. so how many truly impactful players have we drafted in the past 15 years? there have been 44 picks.

It's only relevant in showing that an inferior quarterback needs a better team around him. And regardless of whether you get there through the draft or free agency, you still need money to extend good players. It's much harder now with the salary cap than in the past.

Steve007

Reaction score
is Martin over paid? is tyrone over paid? you don't over pay the wrong players, ala Zeke, Jaylon...but when you have players that produce, then overpaying slightly is better than not having them.

Dak is a top 10 QB. no doubt. is that elite? what's elite? you found your QB, you pay, otherwise you go chasing the QB and waste years at it (or did you forget what happened after Aikman).
Overpaid? DeMarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Zeke and because of his health Tyron Smith. If the Cowboys pay Dak what he wants add him to the list. Dak is wanting to be one of the top paid quarterbacks in the NFL. What is elite? Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers etc...