Why is Dak refusing to give the cowboys a discount? Mahomes did!

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dorky sports fans called the players greedy and selfish when their window to earn is very small and they risk themselves on the field but have zero issues and don't call out owners who try and lowball every player, will cut them whenever they want to save money and put up no risk at all (stadiums are leveraged and funded by taxpayers, guaranteed income every year). You people are ignorant. Good for Dak and Zeke. I hope they bleed every dollar they can out of that scumbag Jerry.
I dont see it like that!
Dak could walk away from the game today and never play another down and be set for life along with generations of family. And he should thank Jerry for giving him this opportunity and setting him up for life. If Dak was smart he would of signed that deal last year for about 34 mil but nope.

Flamma

Reaction score
Prescott has never had the complete teams as Super Bowl winning teams have had. In 2016 and 2018 he had the offense but he didn't have the defense or special teams. Every year there are teams that have complete teams and what it takes to get to the Super Bowl, But only one team wins. Prescott even on his rookie contract didn't. have that Also normally the Super Bowl winning teams are lucky enough not to get riddled with injuries of key players. One thing is true that there's only been one team to win the Super Bowl with a average or below average QB but had the #1 defense that set NFL records, the ravens and Dilfer, but that's what those that don't want to keep Prescott want to do is think they can win a Super Bowl with just any QB they can pickup even though they don't have the rest of the team needed to do it. These same people don't realize that the Cowboys will have about a 25 mil carryover from 2020 that will go a long way towards what it will cost for Prescott even on a smaller cap.

Was Brad Johnson any good? It's been so long, I forget. That D was pretty good too. I don't think the Cowboys can build a team that is as good as the 2000 Ravens. You need too many impact players on defense. You need to not only draft well, but also get lucky in the later rounds of the draft. Sort of like the 2013 Seahawks.

Steve007

Reaction score
Most realize Dak probably isn't quite worth the money he's asking for. But that's not the point & is frankly irrelevant at this juncture.

It's business & Dallas played it wrong. Now Dak holds all the cards & he's going to try & get paid max dollars just like every other player does who is chasing their 1st contract. Boom!
Dak is going to try and get all he can, but he doesn't hold all the cards. The cowboys have options. They could tag again and look for their future quarterback or they could try and trade him or let him walk. There are teams with bad quarterback contracts they probably regret . Goff (traded) Jimmy Garoppolo, Carson Wentz. Dallas doesn't need to be one of them.

Steve007

Reaction score
offense starts with QB. you pay and keep your QB...we saw, clearly this year that the offense is 1/3 or 1/4 of what it could be without Dak...and please please please don't say Dalton got 3 wins...he did. against three teams with 4 wins and their back up QBs and getting 9 turnovers to help him. he sucked. royally sucked otherwise. so who is your future QB? watson? he makes 40? draft? 4 out of 5 first round picks fail. and we don't have a top 5 pick....you want to play lottery and tell me KC got Mahomes at 10th spot, I will show you 40 other top 10s that failed....suffice it to say its a big big gamble.

and we have to figure out how to draft better defensively.....without that. even if we get a high school QB playing for 7.50/hr and 40M on the cap ain't going to fix the defense. 44 draft picks since 2005...44 defensive players selected, we have Lawrence and Perhaps Jones as impact players.....that's 44 picks, from top 10 to 7th round....and not sure if Lawrence and Jones are the type of dominant players we can be overly proud....neither is ever going to be considered for HOF...not even close....in the meantime we have picked tons offensively. found tons offensively. CD, Gallup, Martin, Smith, Collins, Dak, Zeke, Pollard, Jarwin, Schultz, Fredrick, Biadasz, all offensive players that produce with high potentials. yet we can't get close defensively....why? until we fix that, Dak gives us the best chance to succeed. and when was the last time any team spent high dollars on a bunch of defensive players and built a team that found any level of success. how are you going to account for the drop in QB play and improve the team? FA is over priced and you over pay. there is not one single defensive player that can take this defense from bottom feeding to average. you need a bunch and there isn't enough money to do that through FA....

I don't understand, you are so against paying Dak, yet so willing to go pay a bunch of defensive FAs and over pay for them. like I said a bunch of them not just one...

until we can draft a few good defensive players...we are stuck at medicore, if we lose Dak we become bottom feeding and medicore will be a long gone dream.
I didn't say overpay defensive players. Dak had a good team his first year. What makes you think if he takes a bigger percent of the cap the cowboys can build a better team? How far has Seattle gone after they paid Russel Wilson? And he is better than Dak.
Highest cap hits from 2014-19: Matthew Stafford ($130M) Ben Roethlisberger ($128M) Aaron Rodgers ($126M) Drew Brees ($125M) Eli Manning ($124M) Matt Ryan ($118M) Philip Rivers ($117M) Joe Flacco ($106M) Cam Newton ($104M) None won the Super Bowl during that time

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Was Brad Johnson any good? It's been so long, I forget. That D was pretty good too. I don't think the Cowboys can build a team that is as good as the 2000 Ravens. You need too many impact players on defense. You need to not only draft well, but also get lucky in the later rounds of the draft. Sort of like the 2013 Seahawks.

Johnson wasn't an elite QB by any stretch of anyone's imagination but he was a solid QB that did a pretty good job of reading defenses. For a lot of his career he didn't have a lot of weapons to work with though.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's only relevant in showing that an inferior quarterback needs a better team around him. And regardless of whether you get there through the draft or free agency, you still need money to extend good players. It's much harder now with the salary cap than in the past.
true, an inferior QB, but Dak is top 10.... and until we draft some good defensive players, then we have anotehr 4 or 5 years to worry about extending them. you want to solve a problem that we don't have and frankly, I wish we had. teams that succeed. draft well. plus, we have been able to keep our own "stars" in fact we have 7 of the largest positional contracts on the team....why not argue about over paying them? like Jaylon, Lawrence, Zeke,

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Overpaid? DeMarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Zeke and because of his health Tyron Smith. If the Cowboys pay Dak what he wants add him to the list. Dak is wanting to be one of the top paid quarterbacks in the NFL. What is elite? Patrick Mahomes, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers etc...
none of those 4 produce based on their positional contract value relative to rest of NFL. I love Tyron, but he is now not worth the money. Dak wants to be paid like a top 10 QB in the league.....Mahomes has the largest contract ever in the NFL. if we paid dak 10 years 400M would you be ok with that? 3 years from now 40M would be considered a bargain....and its money in the bank for the remaining 7!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I didn't say overpay defensive players. Dak had a good team his first year. What makes you think if he takes a bigger percent of the cap the cowboys can build a better team? How far has Seattle gone after they paid Russel Wilson? And he is better than Dak.
Highest cap hits from 2014-19: Matthew Stafford ($130M) Ben Roethlisberger ($128M) Aaron Rodgers ($126M) Drew Brees ($125M) Eli Manning ($124M) Matt Ryan ($118M) Philip Rivers ($117M) Joe Flacco ($106M) Cam Newton ($104M) None won the Super Bowl during that time
Seattle needed wilson and he is the only one keeping them competitive. they lost a lot of the defensive players they drafted and guess what, they haven't drafted well since. they tried to sign a bunch of FA and none of it worked. its not because they paid wilson, in fact, after wilson like I said, they signed a bunch of FAs.....

so let me ask you. if you had the option to sign Rodgers for that price, you are saying you would pass? how about if we could have signed Ben in 2014 or 2015. would you say no thanks? What if we could have had Brees in 2015, would you say, ahhh, no I don't want brees....be honest now....

I agree, stafford is one of the most over rated QBs in the league. can't believe the stupid rams gave up what they gave up for him.

and if you look at all the teams that made the superbowl, you would see that most of them had really good drafts.

and Mahomes just got a 10 year 500M contract...that's average of 50M and he just went to the superbowl. again....grapolo got a large contract and he was in the superbowl last year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jerry offered 35 mil a year guaranteed around 85-100 . Seems more than generous for a QB with a serious injury who has not done anything special on the top offensive outfit in the league ( OL WR RB )
your wasting your time
beating your head against a wall
kicking a dead horse
spitting in the wind
get it

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No I will not stop. I don’t care if he was undrafted. He significantly outperformed his contract and cheapskates shouldn’t be looking for any discounts and he was top 10.
wish you were my boss

Flamma

Reaction score
none of those 4 produce based on their positional contract value relative to rest of NFL. I love Tyron, but he is now not worth the money. Dak wants to be paid like a top 10 QB in the league.....Mahomes has the largest contract ever in the NFL. if we paid dak 10 years 400M would you be ok with that? 3 years from now 40M would be considered a bargain....and its money in the bank for the remaining 7!

A bargain in today's game for quarterbacks is taking up around 10-15% of the cap. Closer to 10% if your QB isn't great. Similar to what Rodgers or Brady's cap hit was this year. But in 3 years time a contract of 10 years 400 million will be nowhere near 10%.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I dont see it like that!
Dak could walk away from the game today and never play another down and be set for life along with generations of family. And he should thank Jerry for giving him this opportunity and setting him up for life. If Dak was smart he would of signed that deal last year for about 34 mil but nope.
that's the most insane statement I ever heard. so Mahomes should be thankful? Brady? Brees? these owners are making billions, literally billions from the players. its a league dependent on these players. we have seen several other leagues try to compete and they failed because of level of competition. owners take in 45% of all revenue. year in year out, decades upon decades. Jerry Jones bought this team for a 100M, now its worth over 2.5B.....

its a symbiotic relationship. players owe nothing to the owners. owners owe nothing to the players. its an large sum of money, split, based on contract between players and owners. there is nobody to thank, but perhaps the fans for giving them the money.....

Dak is smart. he bet on himself two years ago and didn't sign a 26M contract, now its pushing 40M. he owes jerry nothing. geez dude, get over yourself.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A bargain in today's game for quarterbacks is taking up around 10-15% of the cap. Closer to 10% if your QB isn't great. Similar to what Rodgers or Brady's cap hit was this year. But in 3 years time a contract of 10 years 400 million will be nowhere near 10%.
back when rodgers signed, he has the largest contract, so did stafford, now with mahomes, it may look like 50M/ year contract, but when you dig in, it really is not and btw, they just made the superbowl and I believe he counted 35M this year and that's 17% of the cap.........so I guess all the notion and argument of 15% of cap space and team doesn't make the superbowl goes away....these contracts, the money that counts against the cap, etc. are manipulated every year...btw, in 2024, the cap is expected to jump 20-25%, so if the cap goes back to somewhere close to where it was headed by 2023 as expected, it would have been around 240M or above, then a jump of 20% would have put it close to 300M. so even going by averages, the 40M would be closer to about 12-13%....and dropping...but again we are not talking averages, as contracts keep getting manipulated.

Flamma

Reaction score
back when rodgers signed, he has the largest contract, so did stafford, now with mahomes, it may look like 50M/ year contract, but when you dig in, it really is not and btw, they just made the superbowl and I believe he counted 35M this year and that's 17% of the cap.........so I guess all the notion and argument of 15% of cap space and team doesn't make the superbowl goes away....these contracts, the money that counts against the cap, etc. are manipulated every year...btw, in 2024, the cap is expected to jump 20-25%, so if the cap goes back to somewhere close to where it was headed by 2023 as expected, it would have been around 240M or above, then a jump of 20% would have put it close to 300M. so even going by averages, the 40M would be closer to about 12-13%....and dropping...but again we are not talking averages, as contracts keep getting manipulated.

Wait a minute, who just made the super bowl with a 35M cap hit? Rodgers isn't in the SB and his cap hit for 2020 was 21 million. Next year will be around 37 million. Brady is around 14%.

Also, the cap isn't going up 60 million in one year. Not in the wildest fever dreams of a unicorn. Since 2015 the cap has gone up a steady, predictable, 10-12 million a year. If all goes well, and provided the league isn't still recouping lost money beyond 2021, the cap will be around 240-245 million in 2024. I'm just going by the pace set since 2015.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
that's the most insane statement I ever heard. so Mahomes should be thankful? Brady? Brees? these owners are making billions, literally billions from the players. its a league dependent on these players. we have seen several other leagues try to compete and they failed because of level of competition. owners take in 45% of all revenue. year in year out, decades upon decades. Jerry Jones bought this team for a 100M, now its worth over 2.5B.....

its a symbiotic relationship. players owe nothing to the owners. owners owe nothing to the players. its an large sum of money, split, based on contract between players and owners. there is nobody to thank, but perhaps the fans for giving them the money.....

Dak is smart. he bet on himself two years ago and didn't sign a 26M contract, now its pushing 40M. he owes jerry nothing. geez dude, get over yourself.
You might want to get over yourself a bit, Dak bet on himself on lost horribly.

Hadenough

Reaction score

These owners were rich before they even bought into the NFL. If it weren't for these owners there would be no league and guys like Dak would be working for a living instead of playing a game that he loves for millions.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How many top NFL quarterbacks give the "hometown discount"? First of all most quarterbacks don't play in even their home state, let alone "home town". Drew Brees was born in Texas and played at Purdue. Aaron Rodgers was born, and played in California. Aikman lived in Oklahoma and California. Terry Bradshaw was born and played in Louisiana.

So why would Dak give a "home town" discount when he was born in Louisiana and played in Mississippi?
All of those QB's were better than Dilfer. Dilfer is the ONLY QB that immediately after his team won the Super Bowl that didn't even get an offer to resign and was allowed to go in free agency.

Now Doug Williams was a Super Bowl MVP, Brad Johnson has a better career passer rating than Aikman, Joe Flacco was the Pepsi rookie of the year and a Super Bowl MVP, Jim Plucket was a Heisman Trophy winner, AFC rookie of the year, won 2 Super Bowls and was a Super Bowl MVP, Eli Manning won 2 Super Bowls and was TWICE a Super Bowl MVP, Jeff Hostetler won a super Bowl as did Dilfer but had a much better career than Dilfer.

Oh please, you can't take one season or one game and say "he was better than Dilfer".
Take Doug Williams, for example. His record in Tampa was 33-33, with 73 tds and 73 ints. His SB winning year, in the regular season he only started 2 games and had an 0-2 record in those. Followed up his SB win with a 4-6 year and was released after one 1-1 record year after than. And you do remember Timmy Smith had a SB record 204 yards rushing, don't you? He loosened up the Denver defense, every one of Williams' touchdown passes his receiver was either wide open or adjusted to catch a poorly thown pass.

So Williams was the SB MVP. What did he do before and after that season? Not much.

Plunkett "won" both his SBs as a backup, he bounced around with 4 different teams in his career. Had two winning records in 14 years in the league. Yeah he was great. So great that despite two SB "wins" he's not in the HOF.

Some of the quarterbacks mentioned may have been above average, but that's debatable...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
How many top NFL quarterbacks give the "hometown discount"? First of all most quarterbacks don't play in even their home state, let alone "home town". Drew Brees was born in Texas and played at Purdue. Aaron Rodgers was born, and played in California. Aikman lived in Oklahoma and California. Terry Bradshaw was born and played in Louisiana.

So why would Dak give a "home town" discount when he was born in Louisiana and played in Mississippi?

Oh please, you can't take one season or one game and say "he was better than Dilfer".
Take Doug Williams, for example. His record in Tampa was 33-33, with 73 tds and 73 ints. His SB winning year, in the regular season he only started 2 games and had an 0-2 record in those. Followed up his SB win with a 4-6 year and was released after one 1-1 record year after than. And you do remember Timmy Smith had a SB record 204 yards rushing, don't you? He loosened up the Denver defense, every one of Williams' touchdown passes his receiver was either wide open or adjusted to catch a poorly thown pass.

So Williams was the SB MVP. What did he do before and after that season? Not much.

Plunkett "won" both his SBs as a backup, he bounced around with 4 different teams in his career. Had two winning records in 14 years in the league. Yeah he was great. So great that despite two SB "wins" he's not in the HOF.

Some of the quarterbacks mentioned may have been above average, but that's debatable...

Dude I cannot stand here and let you disrespect Doug Williams like this. Yes his record in Tampa was 33-33.. But did you happen to notice what Tampa's record was in the years before and after him? They were 2-30 the two years before they drafted him.. then went 12-52 in the four years after they refused to sign him. In fact It took the Bucs until 1991 .. almost 10 full seasons to match the 33 wins that Williams led them to. And after having a winning record 3 of the 5 years Williams was their starter and one of those was the 9 game strike year in '82.. They did not have another winning record from 1982, Williams last year until 1997. 15 years!!! The Bucs should have paid him and they would not have had to waste 5 or 6 first round draft picks on QBs trying to replace him. He was the heart and soul of those teams. Not signing him was the biggest mistake in franchise history. When they refused to sign him many of the great players on the team revolted. Leroy Selmon retired rather than have back surgery. Hugh Green and Richard Wood demanded to be traded. So did Jimmie Giles.

I also think your recollection of the Super Bowl win against the Broncos is foggy. Timmy Smith had 5 carries for 9 yards until Williams hit Sanders on that 80 yard bomb to start the second quarter. THAT is what loosened up the Denver defense.. On Washington's next possession after that Smith had 2 carries for 20 yards.. Then on the possession after that he had one carry for a 58 yard TD. Coincidence? I think not.. Williams body was starting to break down by the time he got to the Skins.. he had taken a beating behind a bad o-line in Tampa and then again in the 3 years he spent in the USFL. He could not hold up a whole regular season anymore.. His knees were shot but he could still sling it .. None of his passes in that Super Bowl were "poorly thrown." I'm not sure where you got that from.

Here is the first TD

On whose planet is that "poorly thrown?"

Here is the second TD at the 00:55 mark ..

again perfectly placed over the shoulder is "poorly thrown?"

How about this one to the tight end at the 10:42 mark.

Not a lot of adjusting there either..

I don't know what you have against Doug Williams.. but you could not be more wrong about this take.

Oh yeah.. Plunkett was the full time starter both in 1980 and 1983. I don't know where you get the idea that he was the backup at any point on those teams.