Why is everyone anointing Scarborough as the RB2?

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Dude, the draft is entertainment, it doesn’t matter where you’re drafted, if you go out and ball,put the work in, believe in your abilities, take advantage of every opportunity you get to show you belong, good things usually happen, being drafted in the 7th round doesn’t dictate your nfl future.
But the combine does exist and college tape does exist. NFL teams don't just blindly draft players based on how big their name is in the media. If so, Manziel would have been #1 overall. Alas, he should have been a 4th rounder, but he wasn't because Browns, who just made another terrible mistake at QB and hopefully Denzel Ward will turn out better than Justin Gilbert. But that's Browns, they don't count because they suck.

Brady was drafted in the 6th round because his college tape was just average (compares to Luke Falk, actually), competition was just average, he threw untimely picks in college, and he didn't have mobility to make up for any of that. Plus, most teams at the time (including the Patriots) were already stocked at QB or had taken a bigger named one early in the draft.

A better comparison... LeGarrette Blount, probably the best case scenario for Scarbrough honestly. He wasn't drafted and has carved out a pretty good career, mostly as a mercenary though. Big, bruising back who was slow coming out of college as he is now. He also faced some injuries and off the field issues in college, similar to Scarbrough. Yes, he could power through smaller defenders like Jacobs did with NYG, but what else was he? He wasn't going to be a receiving back, and for a bigger back he looked to slow to pick up blitzes as well. Compares very well to Scarbrough, honestly. The Eagles did make a role for Blount last year, but Ajayi and later Clement were the stars. The Patriots let him walk for free after winning two Super Bowls with him. The Steelers had a similar situation with Bell (comparable to Zeke) and Blount as a complementary powerback, but Blount wanted a lead back role so the Steelers gave him up for free.

Who knows what kind of role Blount will have in Detroit? Tion Green, fellow powerback, is gone. They have Kerryon Johnson as a bell cow (finally). Riddick is a consistently good 3DRB. Abdullah is soon to be gone, he was a bust. They still have Zach Zenner who can be useful. Blount won't get more than a third of the carries or snaps there.

Bottom line is, this type of back in the 21st century is typically a journeyman, or at best a mercenary. Scarbrough will never be a bell cow like some people here want him to be.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, how many Backs do they keep? They have a #1 and traded for 2. I would think those 3 are in, if healthy. So, do they go with 4 or 5 backs?

And putting Scarbrough or Smith on the PS would be dicey, too many RB injuries.

Dre11

Reaction score
But the combine does exist and college tape does exist. NFL teams don't just blindly draft players based on how big their name is in the media. If so, Manziel would have been #1 overall. Alas, he should have been a 4th rounder, but he wasn't because Browns, who just made another terrible mistake at QB and hopefully Denzel Ward will turn out better than Justin Gilbert. But that's Browns, they don't count because they suck.

Brady was drafted in the 6th round because his college tape was just average (compares to Luke Falk, actually), competition was just average, he threw untimely picks in college, and he didn't have mobility to make up for any of that. Plus, most teams at the time (including the Patriots) were already stocked at QB or had taken a bigger named one early in the draft.

A better comparison... LeGarrette Blount, probably the best case scenario for Scarbrough honestly. He wasn't drafted and has carved out a pretty good career, mostly as a mercenary though. Big, bruising back who was slow coming out of college as he is now. He also faced some injuries and off the field issues in college, similar to Scarbrough. Yes, he could power through smaller defenders like Jacobs did with NYG, but what else was he? He wasn't going to be a receiving back, and for a bigger back he looked to slow to pick up blitzes as well. Compares very well to Scarbrough, honestly. The Eagles did make a role for Blount last year, but Ajayi and later Clement were the stars. The Patriots let him walk for free after winning two Super Bowls with him. The Steelers had a similar situation with Bell (comparable to Zeke) and Blount as a complementary powerback, but Blount wanted a lead back role so the Steelers gave him up for free.

Who knows what kind of role Blount will have in Detroit? Tion Green, fellow powerback, is gone. They have Kerryon Johnson as a bell cow (finally). Riddick is a consistently good 3DRB. Abdullah is soon to be gone, he was a bust. They still have Zach Zenner who can be useful. Blount won't get more than a third of the carries or snaps there.

Bottom line is, this type of back in the 21st century is typically a journeyman, or at best a mercenary. Scarbrough will never be a bell cow like some people here want him to be.

I’ll say it again, the draft is entertainment, the combine is a t-shirt and panties competition. Most of that bs you see in the combine won’t come to play in a real game. These guys go out and train just to look good and put up good numbers in the underwear Olympics. When you put the guy tape tape on, he’s a football player and that’s all that matter. Also, I haven’t seen anyone say he was going to be a “bell cow”. If he contributes on game days, he was worth it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So, how many Backs do they keep? They have a #1 and traded for 2. I would think those 3 are in, if healthy. So, do they go with 4 or 5 backs?

And putting Scarbrough or Smith on the PS would be dicey, too many RB injuries.
Bo or Rod would be snatched up off PS. I would keep them and Elliot as lead back. Was hoping for Morris to come back but that won’t happen.

chicago JK

Reaction score
He is a guy if you catch at the right time he looks like a lead back. Other times he looks average.

In all honesty, if he went back to Alabama there is a good chance he would have wound up as 4th on the depth chart. Their leading rusher is back and they have two studs behind him. I think he is good value to draft in the 7th round and Dallas' line plays to his strengths. I would ideally prefer a smaller, quicker bowling ball back but lets see what Bo can do.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He is a guy if you catch at the right time he looks like a lead back. Other times he looks average.

In all honesty, if he went back to Alabama there is a good chance he would have wound up as 4th on the depth chart. Their leading rusher is back and they have two studs behind him. I think he is good value to draft in the 7th round and Dallas' line plays to his strengths. I would ideally prefer a smaller, quicker bowling ball back but lets see what Bo can do.
Should see a lot of preseason action.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I may have made it appear that I am anti-Bo. I am not. If he beats out Rod that's a good thing, because Rod is a good back.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bo or Rod would be snatched up off PS. I would keep them and Elliot as lead back. Was hoping for Morris to come back but that won’t happen.
Agree and both Bo and Rod could make it tough to not keep them. I think they go with 5 backs. I think Austin allows them to look at him as the hybrid RB/WR player.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
I’ll say it again, the draft is entertainment, the combine is a t-shirt and panties competition. Most of that bs you see in the combine won’t come to play in a real game. These guys go out and train just to look good and put up good numbers in the underwear Olympics. When you put the guy tape tape on, he’s a football player and that’s all that matter. Also, I haven’t seen anyone say he was going to be a “bell cow”. If he contributes on game days, he was worth it.
John Ross III is the poster boy for this until proven otherwise. Of course there's a lot of time for the "otherwise" on that front, especially since Marvin Lewis sucks and desperately needs to get fired.

If he doesn't improve much, look for the Cowboys to pick him up in a few years. Tavon Austin 2.0. Maybe we'll think we can turn him into Desean Jackson or something.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Agree and both Bo and Rod could make it tough to not keep them. I think they go with 5 backs. I think Austin allows them to look at him as the hybrid RB/WR player.
Yep and flexibility of keeping Austin as WR or RB. I am thinking they will keep him as a RB. Free up a space to keep a extra WR. All hands on deck now that Dez is gone. I have to admit I am still surprised we cut him. No real leader on WR with a QB that is in a crucial year. Could be a good thing or a nightmare.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Darius Jackson was also a 7th round pick a couple of years ago and many were anointing him as the number 2 RB. There was even a poster who claimed he would be better than Zeke. :cool:

millennial_legend

Reaction score
No way I wanted Morris back. He failed miserably when asked to fill in for Zeke last year. In the Rams game week 4, he got ran down on a breakaway from behind by a safety, a few yards short of a touchdown -- embarrassing look. He's a washed up back with 6th round pedigree whose heyday was as a rookie in a read option offense (before teams learned to defend this type of offense). Chances are he never sees another meaningful carry.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No way I wanted Morris back. He failed miserably when asked to fill in for Zeke last year. In the Rams game week 4, he got ran down on a breakaway from behind by a safety, a few yards short of a touchdown -- embarrassing look. He's a washed up back with 6th round pedigree whose heyday was as a rookie in a read option offense (before teams learned to defend this type of offense). Chances are he never sees another meaningful carry.
And that was the harsh post of the day. Tell me how you really feel. Lol

Hadenough

Reaction score
He was a late 7th rounder for a reason. These are the type of picks that get traded for practice squad prospects and washed up JAGs. Maybe he's another Alfred Morris, but he's not going to get the opportunity Morris had because the Commanders had a hole at RB that year after drafting both RG3 and Cousins.

He's not particularly fast or great at anything, just a decent body to have on the team. Let's not forget we still have some guys who can, you know, run the ball, with NFL experience behind them.

RB1 - Zeke
RB2 (Alf role) - R. Smith
3DRB (Dunbar role) - Tavon Austin
RB4 - Scarborough

Anyone who thinks Scarborough is going to get 250+ yards in the regular season or anything crazy like that is fooling themselves big time.
Evidently you didnt watch and Alabama games. I thought this was a great pick up. He is a big punishing runner who also has an elusive quick cut. I want to know when I can get my Scarbrough jersey!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We say this every year about all of our low rounders, and then theyre cut and they don't actually get snatched from the PS. Teams cut their 5th-7th rounders all the time and they obviously like them, thats why thry drafted them in the first place so they typically prefer there own first. This guy is our mid-7th rounder. There's a high chance he would make it to PS.

If he doesnt contribute on special teams, it's going to be hard for him to make the team.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We say this every year about all of our low rounders, and then theyre cut and they don't actually get snatched from the PS. Teams cut their 5th-7th rounders all the time and they obviously like them, thats why thry drafted them in the first place so they typically prefer there own first. This guy is our mid-7th rounder. There's a high chance he would make it to PS.

If he doesnt contribute on special teams, it's going to be hard for him to make the team.
You don’t know Bo.. lmao. Who knows, as long as Elliot stays on the field and we have Rod we are good. If Bo makes the team he won’t get many touches anywho.