Why is Jerry destroying his Legacy?

Forneymike

Reaction score
Yeah middle of the pack.

They have FIVE FREAKING PLAYOFF WINS IN 28 YEARS.

In what world would any football fan look at that and say, "you know what, that franchise is really performing". Better yet, if some fan showed up here and said the 49ers were the better franchise with only 5 playoff wins in 28 years, you'd laugh them off the board for their stupidity.
Quit measuring things with playoff wins. Is that really the goal? SB wins is what matters so now do your research on how many teams have won SBs in the last 28 years. The 49ers are not on that list. That is the measuring stick. I just watched my favorite basketball team lose in the Finals in 5 games. Am or will I be happy with that? No. They haven’t accomplished the goal since 2011. Playoff wins are a hammer that doesn’t have a nail. No one cares who lost to KC the last two years in the SB. Most people don’t remember who were in “Championship “ games. Mediocrity is a thing. Not a good thing the bottom line to pro sports teams is who wins the ultimate championship game. Embrace that as your goal and rail and complain about that. This board has no idea how hard it is to win Super Bowls. Just go to 7-11 and get a QB. Call A head hunter and get a GM and you are set. LOL. This team has a choice. Keep winning 10-12 games a year and have a chance in the playoffs or clean house and see how long it takes to start winning 10-12 games a year. Embrace reality not fantasy

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jimmy was straight from college and had the inside story on incoming draftees. He didn't draft so hot once he didn't have that.

Parcells: Did it? I mean, he was great at finding late round gems, but was he so good overall? Don't forget, he wanted subpar Marcus Spears over DWare. And traded down instead of taking Stephen Jones, saying "I really couldn't see the difference between Julius Jones and Stephen Jones."

Benched Emmit Smith in favor of Troy Hambrick, didn't even seem to notice how slow to the hole he was.

Parcells knew what it takes to build a contender, but he wasn't great at picking those needs.
I know what you mean on Jimmy, and recall thinking what an advantage that was at the time. He blew plenty of picks while here, but hit on enough to make it work.

It was the same in Miami, but he didn’t win more because of the QB situation. Marino was cooked but he had to keep him around because of who he was, and by the time he quit, the rest of the roster was at the point where they had to go with the bus driver approach, Jay Fiedler. Jimmy blew many picks there, especially the premium ones, but he left Wannstedt with a very good roster. Got Surtain, Madison, Taylor and Thomas with later picks. It wasn’t awful by any means. I remember those teams well as I lived down there at the time. Most of my boys were big fans so it was a constant subject.

Parcells drafts were hideous, with the exception of 2005, which was the second best draft in team history and allowed them to convert to the 34 basically overnight and become a playoff team again.

His strength was getting the most out his meh players. That 2003 team had no business being in the postseason. He basically willed them there.

Edit…..this is btw a clear example of why Stephens ‘draft only’ approach will never work. Everyone misses on draft picks, gold jacket or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Quit measuring things with playoff wins. Is that really the goal? SB wins is what matters so now do your research on how many teams have won SBs in the last 28 years. The 49ers are not on that list. That is the measuring stick. I just watched my favorite basketball team lose in the Finals in 5 games. Am or will I be happy with that? No. They haven’t accomplished the goal since 2011. Playoff wins are a hammer that doesn’t have a nail. No one cares who lost to KC the last two years in the SB. Most people don’t remember who were in “Championship “ games. Mediocrity is a thing. Not a good thing the bottom line to pro sports teams is who wins the ultimate championship game. Embrace that as your goal and rail and complain about that. This board has no idea how hard it is to win Super Bowls. Just go to 7-11 and get a QB. Call A head hunter and get a GM and you are set. LOL. This team has a choice. Keep winning 10-12 games a year and have a chance in the playoffs or clean house and see how long it takes to start winning 10-12 games a year. Embrace reality not fantasy
This is some excellent rationalizing right here.

I'd rather be a team that hasn't won a SB in 28 years but made a handful of NFCCG games and won more than 5 playoff games in 28 years, but I guess that's just me.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
NFL loves him. He makes them money while furiously defends his role as GM which keeps him from playoff success.

He wasn't put into the HOF for football, but for business.
I get your point and agree with you about the HOF. He probably desires it.

I've work for and with people who got results, but not necessarily the right way. That's somewhat where I am with Jones.

Forneymike

Reaction score
The "31 teams didn't win a SB last year" logic used to defend Jerry kills me. LOL.
You didn’t read my post or you have a reading comprehension issue I guess. I’m not defending Jerry. My definition of mediocre and yours are different. You would be happy to make championship games. I think they should strive to win Super Bowls. You are either a champion, mediocre or picking first in the draft so if you think that is defending Jerry, I’m assuming you don’t comprehend words well

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can anyone see the difference here in the draft setup?

jimmy-johnson-cowboys-draftjpg.webp

VS

1459537437-NS_30CowboysDraft08SP.ashx
Yeah, too bad Jimmy Couldn't control his ego and quit on us.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't be so hard on yourself
HAAA THATS RIGHT!

Stupid unloyal fans ......... they need to all choke on their own Bile!

Jerry Jones is the best GM in the NFL ......... 3 12 win seasons in a heckin row!

Jimmy and Parcells were just riding his coattails ..... Jimmy was lucky enough to even get a job ....... guy could not coach a little league team much less the Cowboys.

Jerry made all those decisions that got us those 3 Superbowls.

Parcells admitted in an interview (I cannot find the link) but I will tell you from my perfect memory ....... Parcells said he learned more about football from Jerry Jones than his entire life before .......

WOW ........ think about that.

Anyway GO COWBOYS and God bless Jerry Jones!!!

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, too bad Jimmy Couldn't control his ego and quit on us.
Dont worry about that poster ........ he got educated by Kurt Warner videos and got a clue ....... Jimmy was just a scumbag coat tail rider ....... Jerry was the real deal.

5 Superbowls in a row ........ starting next season.

Dak 100 million a year 5 year contract
Micah an 80 million a year 5 year contract
Ceedee a 60 million dollar a year 5 year contract.

GETT'ER Done Jerry!!!!! WOOOOOOOOO!!!! ALL IN BABY!!!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
HAAA THATS RIGHT!

Stupid unloyal fans ......... they need to all choke on their own Bile!

Jerry Jones is the best GM in the NFL ......... 3 12 win seasons in a heckin row!

Jimmy and Parcells were just riding his coattails ..... Jimmy was lucky enough to even get a job ....... guy could not coach a little league team much less the Cowboys.

Jerry made all those decisions that got us those 3 Superbowls.

Parcells admitted in an interview (I cannot find the link) but I will tell you from my perfect memory ....... Parcells said he learned more about football from Jerry Jones than his entire life before .......

WOW ........ think about that.

Anyway GO COWBOYS and God bless Jerry Jones!!!
He said Cowboys fans had low IQs...he's a fan, so he shouldn't be to hard on himself. That's all

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He said Cowboys fans had low IQs...he's a fan, so he shouldn't be to hard on himself. That's all
I know ........ he is totally being hard on himself!!!!!

GO JERRY! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! GO DAK!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Death to the haters!!!!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know ........ he is totally being hard on himself!!!!!

GO JERRY! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! GO DAK!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Death to the haters!!!!!!
Now you're getting it, welcome to the bright side! Lol

visionary

Reaction score
A long time back i read a quote attributed to Vince Lombardi

You can achieve anything you want as long as you dont care who gets the credit

Jerry is the Anti-Lombardi

Sydla

Reaction score
You didn’t read my post or you have a reading comprehension issue I guess. I’m not defending Jerry. My definition of mediocre and yours are different. You would be happy to make championship games. I think they should strive to win Super Bowls. You are either a champion, mediocre or picking first in the draft so if you think that is defending Jerry, I’m assuming you don’t comprehend words well
I want SBs.

I'd be happy to just see them play in a conference title game at this point given how pathetic they've been in the postseason since their last SB.

But it kind of is a backhanded defense of Jerry............. "only one team wins a SB and everyone else is a loser" has been used here as just that, a defense of Jerry. It's part of the whole, "it's hard to win a SB" angle that people also use to defend Jerry. If that wasn't your intent, then my apologies.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Too bad Jerry’s ego continually keeps us from hire a quality HC with any kind of real power and authority.
He's the owner, Jimmy was the help. He didn't know his place. You assume that MM has no say so....you don't know what happens behind closed doors. Maybe you're right....but it's still an assumption. Jerry us an easy target for bitter fans. He wants the limelight, then his criticism is well deserved. But, if he had a GM and we didn't win the Superbowl, he would still get the criticism...

MikeT22

Reaction score
He's the owner, Jimmy was the help. He didn't know his place. You assume that MM has no say so....you don't know what happens behind closed doors. Maybe you're right....but it's still an assumption. Jerry us an easy target for bitter fans. He wants the limelight, then his criticism is well deserved. But, if he had a GM and we didn't win the Superbowl, he would still get the criticism...
Jimmy was the help, and the primary reason we won those SBs. Jerry just couldn’t help himself and now neither can his clown son.