Why is Jerry destroying his Legacy?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I had beers in San Angelo one year and talked football for 3 hours with Wade, Saban, Mack Brown and Tuberville. All of our staffs were there, wade kept asking for Garrett....he never bothered to show. What ticked me off, is that when we met with earlier in the day, I sat across from him and asked him how much influence did a QB have in play calling. He said, I call the plays and they run them. Zero influence. When he took over for Wade, Romo starts calling plays at the LOS. I still think he and Jerry sabotaged Wade.
Wade is another likeable dude and not too many in this world know more defensive football, especially 3-4 tactics, than he does.

Some people can be really good coordinators and just aren't head coach material. Wade falls in that category for me. Norv Turner back in the day. Maybe a Vic Fangio or Steve Spagnuolo. Brian Daboll may end up on that book too.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don’t like how he’s run things either, but destroying his legacy?
  • 3 Lombardy trophies.
  • Taking a struggling organization and moving it to the most lucrative business in all of sports.
  • Changing the way the NFL operates and helping to make it the beast of professional sports and its owners all much richer.
  • Inducted into the Hall of Fame.
His legacy is secure no matter what he does at this point.
His legacy is also that he's a joke to everyone that watches and knows any amount of football.

Al Davis ruined his legacy, and Jerry Jones has too.

kskboys

Reaction score
This is utter drivel.

It's not exactly a coincidence that when he had Jimmy, he won. And once Jimmy and the teams he built got dismantled and Jerry assumed full control of all football operations that the team flailed.

I mean holy crap, we aren't talking about a few years here. We are talking about decades of evidence here. The moment the Aikman/Smith/Irvin dynasty shrivel up in the late 90s, Jerry has had full control of the team and he's delivered one of the most futile postseason runs we've seen in the NFL (especially given the fact we are considered one of the cornerstone franchises in NFL history). Trying to sell Jerry as some football mind is idiotic given the evidence.

Oh and he's not in the Hall of Fame for being a GM. He's in the Hall of Fame for being an owner that was a driving force in making his team and the NFL the money making machines they are.
One of the worst non sequitars I've seen on this site. Jerry knows football because he played in college? That is quite simply not true, and then add in that playing football and being a GM/Coach is a completely different skillset.

And then one more. Jerry has gone out of his way to prove that he absolutely does not understand football at the NFL level.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jerry hired Jimmy for one reason, Jimmy was his friend. Not because he thought Jimmy was this great HC, it just so happened Jimmy was great

This is who Jerry has always been, nepotism over competence
Jimmy had success prior to coming to Dallas. The risk wasn’t hiring his friend the risk was would he translate to the pros.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think the head coach should be picking the players anyway ....... not some suit.
Depends on the hierarchy but the GM should pick the players based on what the head coach needs. Like many jobs, when one person is doing too much, small but important things get missed.

For example, Belichick is an excellent tactician and coach. He has so many processes in place, that he gives his team a chance most weeks. However, he came from the Parcells school and wanted to "shop for some of the groceries". He butchered many of the Patriots drafts, especially towards the end.

I personally like the Rams hierarchy right now, the 49ers and Ravens as well.

Les Snead is the GM. He watches film and reviews the scouting reports. He controls the scouts, college and pro, and is ultimately responsible for their work. Sean McVay is the head coach. He controls the on-field product. On player personnel, they work together to get players that fit what the Rams want to do. There's some stuff out now of the Rams war room on draft day. You don't see either man trying to override the other. They are bouncing stuff of each other and working through the process.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Destroying his legacy? lol His team hasn’t won anything in 30 years but the Cowboys continue to become more popular and richer every day and Jerry is in the Hall of Fame.
He's all in on the Hall of Fame... LOL

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is utter drivel.

It's not exactly a coincidence that when he had Jimmy, he won. And once Jimmy and the teams he built got dismantled and Jerry assumed full control of all football operations that the team flailed.

I mean holy crap, we aren't talking about a few years here. We are talking about decades of evidence here. The moment the Aikman/Smith/Irvin dynasty shrivel up in the late 90s, Jerry has had full control of the team and he's delivered one of the most futile postseason runs we've seen in the NFL (especially given the fact we are considered one of the cornerstone franchises in NFL history). Trying to sell Jerry as some football mind is idiotic given the evidence.

Oh and he's not in the Hall of Fame for being a GM. He's in the Hall of Fame for being an owner that was a driving force in making his team and the NFL the money making machines they are.
It is surprising Jones has not been given the moniker 'Teflon Jerry'. His GM track record (especially since 2002) would have beaned practically every other football executive out of the lineup. Jerry Jones? Team shortcoming after shortcoming just keeps bouncing off him.

Ha. Fictional Tony Stark and real-life Jones are both multi-millionaires who built themselves personal body armor no justifiable criticism can touch them with. Jones' version is just see-through kind.

fivetwos

Reaction score
From what I can conclude, that appears to be Jerry's primary focus, beating division opponents. As opposed to building a team that can win in the playoffs. Not sure Jerry understands the difference.
I agree in premise, but I think the bad division has led many people to believe that things in Dallas are/were better than they were/are….players, media, fans, management, etc included.

Someone recently posted their division record over the last decade or so and it’s amazing.

Even with that, NY has managed to snag two trophies along the way, and ousting us as a one seed. They have just been brutal in every other season around those lately.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Call me nuts, but sometimes it’s nice to talk about football instead of insulting each other. Just saying.

rambo2

Reaction score
Can't figure this guy out .... at all.

28 years of not making the NFCCG puts us with Deadskins as the only 2 teams in the NFL in that category of futility.

I know the money is flowing in, but is that how Jerry wants to be remembered ?

I mean he has has enough money to last a 1000 lifetimes, doesn't he want to be remembered as a winner?

How hard would it be to hire a professional GM and see if that can't turn things around ?

I wonder if Jerry has any sense of mortality?

Then you got the whole "ALL IN" comments, then he sits on his hands this off season.

I don't have anything personally against the man, I just hate that he is destroying the team I have loved my whole life.

I can't remember being this discouraged in an off season.
There are 32 teams and very few of them have 3 super bowl wins in the time period that Jerry has 3. The team is not being destroyed. They very well could win the division again this year. I don't get you.

raven55

Reaction score
this sums it all up his family and him are the new movie of dumb and dumber and for the last 30 years it's been a lasting rerun. Example trey lance trading a 4th round for him and what for not even picking up his 5th year option enuff said

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He hasn't destroyed his legacy he has fulfilled every bit of it. Spend the least amount of wise money, and fool the masses into buying your product. The man is a pompous, arrogant but divine businessman. Sadly his offspring are no better, and likely worse

leeblair

Reaction score

28 years of not making the NFCCG puts us with Deadskins as the only 2 teams in the NFL in that category of futility.

I mean he has has enough money to last a 1000 lifetimes, doesn't he want to be remembered as a winner?

How hard would it be to hire a professional GM and see if that can't turn things around ?

Then you got the whole "ALL IN" comments, then he sits on his hands this off season.

I don't have anything personally against the man, I just hate that he is destroying the team I have loved my whole life.

He's too enamored with his ego. He wants so badly to be remembered as a man who did it his way and found talent in places others didn't look.
Instead he will be remembered for wasting the greatest franchise in sports on sub par players he was trying to make into stars. Dak Prescott, Marion Barber Jr, Jason Garrett; these three cost the Cowboys and their fans championships.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He's too enamored with his ego. He wants so badly to be remembered as a man who did it his way and found talent in places others didn't look.
Instead he will be remembered for wasting the greatest franchise in sports on sub par players he was trying to make into stars. Dak Prescott, Marion Barber Jr, Jason Garrett; these three cost the Cowboys and their fans championships.
24x7x365.

visionary

Reaction score
Jimmy had success prior to coming to Dallas. The risk wasn’t hiring his friend the risk was would he translate to the pros.
So you think that Jerry was able to magically identify a great HC then but has just been unlucky for 30 years?

Jerry is and always will be a nacissist who prioritizes nepotism

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Most teams need to win to make money but not the Cowboys.
Well that’s true to an extent. All of the winning and success they once had built an iconic brand which still sells despite the lack of success this era.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

Come on. He is building it continuously ist a breath taking speed.

Forbes #1 in what? The last decade?