Why was Stewart fired but Garrett wasn't?

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2666456 said:
Wade doesn't do Offense but if he did and had he been able to pull rank over Jerry's kid, I'm sure we would have seen a surge fwd. This offense falls on it's face every December, it must be Jerry. Oh and nobody really wants Garrett anymore, he's just interview fodder...

Besides this year, its been the whole team, not just offense.

And Marcellus Wiley made a great point on NFL Live awhile back by suggesting that Joe Juzerecek (sp) might play a role in this. He did get here in 97. Not saying he is the reason. But there does seem to be some merit to the theory.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Wade doesn't do Offense but if he did and had he been able to pull rank over Jerry's kid, I'm sure we would have seen a surge fwd. This offense falls on it's face every December, it must be Jerry. Oh and nobody really wants Garrett anymore, he's just interview fodder...

Yup, he's just the required ginger candidate to meet the NFLs "Opey Rule".

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
masomenos85;2666460 said:
Yup, he's just the required ginger candidate to meet the NFLs "Opey Rule".

Hahaha, nah he's just one of those guys teams use as leverage against coaches they are haggling with. His foddering days are just about over...:laugh2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;2666453 said:
:lmao2:

Tom Landry would never make it in the NFL today by some people's ridiculous standards. The tunnel vision aspect of this is hilarious.

Was the Offense taken away from Garrett the way the Defense was taken away from Stewart? Does that little fact shed any sunlight on a silly question?

What happened to the Defense once Wade took over? No change or was there a surge forward? Wouldn't thinking of that alone answer the question 90% of the time?

It honestly is not that hard to figure out. Garrett has spent the last 2 years as a legit candidate for Head Coaching jobs. Stewart hasn't found a job since he was let go. Do you smell that? It's the coffee brewing. Time to wake up.

Couldn't say it better. I do so hope Garrett and Romo change enough this coming year.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2666379 said:
Because the offense was so productive based on the personnel we had?

I'll give him one more year, but I don't see any of this genius, nor does anyone else in the nfl, which is why he couldn't get a head coaching job even with the worst team in nfl history...

We have become the cleveland browns. We will address everything except our needs. Yet we will expect our fans to continue to put up with mediocrity. The Browns have finally found a coach and gm who are firing and hiring. I can't wait until we do the same. Throw out the dead weight and pick up some proven players jj!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Jerry hand picked him. No way will he admit he screwed up this early.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'm sure the injuries to so many players, particularly the star QB who never appeared the same after the broken finger had nothing to do with the offensive inconsistency last yr.

Even with that, Romo's 13 games as a starter the team averaged 24.7 pts a game (395 over 16, which would have been 9th) and they averaged over 370 yds a game (good for 4th)

There's a reason why I think we have the most embarrassingly stupid fan base

:rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2666449 said:

O-line not doing their job.
Owens dropped balls.
Tony's game was off. Missing throws. Staying in pocket too long. Careless with the ball.

That is not on Red.

2006 - Romo came in and BAM, he made his O-Line looked better.
2008 - Romo changed his style and BOOM, his O-line looked worse

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Galian Beast;2666536 said:
Hostile, like someone said, Wade isn't an offensive coach, he wouldn't be able to take over the offense. How can you compare the two? Wake up.
Unfortunately, I am awake.

Ray Sherman has been an OC. They could have given play calling duties to him. They could have fired Garrett mid season. They didn't. They could have fired him post season. They didn't.

Keep your head in the sand all you want, but Garrett is nothing like the idiotic Tecmo perception that some around here spew.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
You're sure? That's amazing insight. Actually it is pure fiction, but an interesting read. Well, not exactly interesting really, but I was entertained. Okay, I yawned.

We had a revolving door at LG where on the season 3 different players tried to man that spot. We had a QB who in the Giants game got beat to a pulp and was never the same again, and that was after an injury to his hand (not his pinky, the bone was inside the hand) where the backup QB was so bad we rushed him back 3 games earlier than we should have. We had a WR who was hobbled by Plantar Fasciatis. We had a TE so beaten up that I am amazed he continued to play. We had our 3rd string RB in there because the 2 guys ahead of him gave up walking. We had a LT who for the better part of 6 games could not raise his right arm to shoulder level and had a stinger.

In case you missed it Tony Romo spent a lot of time scrambling for his life in 2008. When a QB scrambles things are more likely to fall apart.

Interview fodder is a semi-humorous canard. Nothing more.

Oh, and please find where I blame Jerry for the December swoons that have happened since 1997. I'm not stupid enough to believe that it has to do with who the GM is. Lay that at other feet. Rowdy arrived in 1997, maybe you can blame the mascot.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I saw an offense that when Romo was on and our OL blocked had no problem moving the ball up and down the field and scoring despite the fact that it was not Romo's best year, and it was definitely not TOs best year.

But ok lets blame Garrett. It would be fun though for someone to name who you would like to replace him so we can "check" out the offenses that the dream coordinator has run and pick the games he coached apart.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys feel Garrett is a young and upcoming coach, perfect no. Even Saprono talked highly of Garrett. I know unless someone is trashing Garrett it can't be true.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Regardless of Garrett's failings last year Stewart is a complete idiot. He should not be coaching a High School football team much less the pro level.

I remember his little girly fits he would throw for the camera during the Hard Knocks filming. What a POS!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hos makes good points. All those are true. It's also true that the bottom line is the offense failed. Some of it was injuries. That doesn't explain teams so easily shadowing WRs and jumping routes so often. Or why Romo had to hang on to the ball so long leading to too many fumbles and INTs. Some of that was the OL but not all. IMO.

Ultimately the other teams are going to find a way to make things difficult. It's up to the OC to change that although all should keep in mind players play the game. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

BigBoy63

Reaction score
I thought that it was because Jerry was expeting Garret to go with the Rams? or whoever it was he was talking bout goin to.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Because there were serious injuries that hurt us, offensively, over the long haul and because Garrett, in only his second year as a play caller, did show that he can come up with good stuff, at times, and he failed to adjust at others.

In the end he earned himself at least one more season to see which season, 2007 or 2008, was more like the real Jason Garrett.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2666889 said:
The entire team and coaching staff!

True and if the Cowboys prove their critics wrong it will be the entire team and coaching staff who will be responsible. It tends to work that way in team sports. :laugh2:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Hostile;2666606 said:
We had a revolving door at LG where on the season 3 different players tried to man that spot. We had a QB who in the Giants game got beat to a pulp and was never the same again, and that was after an injury to his hand (not his pinky, the bone was inside the hand) where the backup QB was so bad we rushed him back 3 games earlier than we should have. We had a WR who was hobbled by Plantar Fasciatis. We had a TE so beaten up that I am amazed he continued to play. We had our 3rd string RB in there because the 2 guys ahead of him gave up walking. We had a LT who for the better part of 6 games could not raise his right arm to shoulder level and had a stinger.

In case you missed it Tony Romo spent a lot of time scrambling for his life in 2008. When a QB scrambles things are more likely to fall apart.

Interview fodder is a semi-humorous canard. Nothing more.

Oh, and please find where I blame Jerry for the December swoons that have happened since 1997. I'm not stupid enough to believe that it has to do with who the GM is. Lay that at other feet. Rowdy arrived in 1997, maybe you can blame the mascot.

Injuries and poor O-line are things I've listed before many times over as the main problem why Garrett's play calling fails us in December. You can't run the same deep routes over and over and over when the QB is being pressured and sacked constantly. Play calling is never adjusted to the teams weaknesses, therefore it falls back on the coach calling the plays. Live by the bomb, die by the bomb. If we went to shorter stuff, we'd get better results. Like that game where Choice was getting all that YAC. Once we went back to deep passing we stopped scoring, never fails. And who endorsed Brad Johnson? Hang em when you find out. Epic Fail..

Never said you blamed Jerry but I blame Jerry for signing Garrett before the head coach. We were destined to fail from the start. That's the real reason why this team is out of sync....