CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This thing about who's responsible for the blame of this team being limited can surely be detrimental to team unity in the final analysis. It's just quite a painful thing to deal with for everybody concerned and could get even more so if it gets out of hand. Personally, I'd hate to see things come to that. Here's hoping things take a turn for the better and the collective mindset of this team improves. The pressure that the FO is exerting to win in the playoffs could be filtering down to the players and coaches in a potentially nasty way. Let's just hope everything works out for the best.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm not totally convinced that MM knows exactly what he'll do while playing each and every team we meet. It seems too early to make such knowing statements. Maybe he's just trying to state that he feels he'll be more successful at the running game than what Kellen had to offer. We'll know more after the season gets underway than we do now. I feel confident that actions will only be taken as the conditions allow them to at that point in time.
Want to win, don't allow your opponent to score, especially short yardage successful. Then, score!

T-RO

Reaction score
The oline, with everyone healthy, was very good at run blocking.
You lean on that as long as you can.
Just a reminder:
Average NFL pass play: 7 yards
Average NFO run play: 4.4 yards

So hey, let's focus our attention, our personnel, our energy on running the rock! Makes total sense. :facepalm:

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
Let's translate for MM where we don't have to be politically correct: I want to have a power running game so that when I have a 2TD lead late in the game like I did against Green Bay and Jacksonville, I can run out the clock. Those two losses cost me home field advantage and a possible super bowl appearance. I don't want to do that again.
Bada Bing

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Scapegoat for what? Winning 12 games again and making it into the 2nd round of the playoffs? I think you mean credit. Which would be just as dumb as saying he is the scapegoat.
Big deal. Also have you not read the literally hundreds of posts blaming Moore for every bone headed mistake or miscue this offense makes?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Just a reminder:

So hey, let's focus our attention, our personnel, our energy on running the rock! Makes total sense. :facepalm:
Depends on your roster and what suits their skillets. When the running game was successful, it helped the secondary, especially when you have a RB who can play a part in the passing game.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Or it could be about what MM has talked extensively about over the past two years. He has been talking about game balance and management since the season ended.

Your insistent daily fixation is pretty weird.
Only 6 teams had more rushing attempts per game last season than the Cowboys.

What was you saying about balance again?

Oh, I keep forgetting you Dak fans usually don't look stuff up before you go into defense mode.

kskboys

Reaction score
To me it wasn’t the number of runs called, but the formations and timing of the runs called. Hopefully MM can get those things right to help disguise when and where run plays are called.
Very close to what I was thinking.

It's not about counting the number of runs, it's about running the ball successfully. And that includes timing and schemes.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just a reminder:

Hey, let's put the ball in the hands of Mahomes as much as we can, makes total sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
I think Mike wants to run the ball in moments he should. Malik Davis should’ve got some carries. The good defenses will not allow you to be one dimensional and win.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
To me it wasn’t the number of runs called, but the formations and timing of the runs called. Hopefully MM can get those things right to help disguise when and where run plays are called.
I typically don’t question these professional play callers but I’d love for someone to explain the point of 3rd and 2 with no backs out there. It’s the dumbest thing I see this team do on offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just a reminder:

Well isn’t it smarter to run the bell 3 times in a row to get a first down lol? Especially when your quarterback has 15 interceptions? NFL isn’t as simple as this lol. Especially with this offense. If this offense was scheming guys open I’m sure we’d love to pass but it’s not translating against the good teams.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Let's translate for MM where we don't have to be politically correct: I want to have a power running game so that when I have a 2TD lead late in the game like I did against Green Bay and Jacksonville, I can run out the clock. Those two losses cost me home field advantage and a possible super bowl appearance. I don't want to do that again.
There you go!! Perfectly said. People can talk about Mahomes wins by himself but people really underestimate that when they need to run the football they can.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The frequency of runs for the Cowboys was not the problem last year. It was WHEN and HOW they ran that was the problem. They almost never ran the ball on consecutive plays regardless of the result. As such they never gave the backs a chance to truly get into a rhythm. They also frequently got freakin cute in the red zone, calling high risk passes or the infernal end around, when they should have been pounding the ball in. If people truly can't grasp that is what McCarthy (and I) took issue with then there's really nothing more that can be said.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I keep hearing this from some.

-Is Red Zone situational football? We were #1 rated.
-Is third down situational? We were 5th in the league in conversions

Moore's offenses were top at top or near top in yardage and scoring every except when Dak lost for season. Sorry if I giggle out loud at this "Moore didn't know situational football"
I agree this is far too simplistic an explanation. However just citing the raw numbers as usual doesn't tell the whole story. The fact that the Cowboys went ape-dung on some of the sorrier defenses which inflated their stats and ranking cannot be ignored. I believe the Cowboys have top 7 or 8 offensive talent. So when those guys face chumps even Moore can't stop them for blowing the doors off the opponent. It's what happens when the talent is close or even better on the other side that is the issue and always has been since Moore took over. Especially if the DC is sharp too. That's really what it boils down to. Moore lost the chess match to really good DCs more often than not. Yes he won a few.. He outsmarted Belichick in 2021 and he undressed Todd Bowles in this last playoff game against Tampa. Credit where credit is due.. But those occasions were too rare. Saleh and Ryan owned him the 49er talent. Lovie Smith owned him with inferior talent in Houston. The Titans D completely neutered us. That guy with the Chargers held us to 20 points despite 200+ yards rushing. Rivera and that bunch have held our offense down more often than not. When have we ever looked good against the Saints defense? Or the Rams? Yes we had a nice game against them in 2019 after their season was over but other than that? Nada. What about that guy in Denver who claimed to have created "the blueprint?" Was it Fangio?

I could go on and on but you get the picture. There are too many DCs on that list who have owned Moore for my liking. Some people will put more blame on Dak, others will blame Zeke, or the o-line or sun spots or whatever.. The bottom line is those guys have shown repeatedly that they are smarter than Kellen Moore. Are we really slobbering over an OC who is outmatched against over a third of the DCs in the league?

I'm not. Not saying Moore can't get better.. He's just not getting better as fast as our team is aging and our Super Bowl window is closing.

Big D

Reaction score
Well the context gets lost when you only look at final numbers. I also think you missed his point about running the dawn ball.

Think of the GB game. We passed 14 times in 4th quarter and ran 4 times. I understand sometimes down and distance matter but sometimes running the clock matters.more.

In a lot of situations it was about when to run the ball. Also against Detroit and Chicago we ran a lot, one because we could but also because we had large leads.

Situational football and how you manage a game is more important and Moore wasn't good in managing the game.
Yep , Kellen Moore's philosophy of not having a philosophy is what ultimately cost us. When you're in position to burn clock the whole 'random short passing game is the same as the running game' thing doesn't quite hold up.

And then you add on it his propensity to have the receivers running the same routes, that defenders have for years said they knew what was coming, he had to go. He did some good things I'm not going to lie but situationally he was a complete idiot.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
NOT More , Better, more efficient , harder to read and stop..thats the hope.,.they forced Moore to run more in 22 but he still abandoned the run and still called vanilla run plays.. it should be improved not by running more, just better.

Moore was given a shot to adjust in 22 and while doing better he shows he just doesnt respect the run game, "yards are yards" situational run game sucked hairy shiny balls. he just never seemed to connect his pass and run game. 16 run pays in the 9er game pollard goes down no Malik, sealed his fate.