CFZ Will Dallas Really Run More in 2023? Why?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wonder why MM would make those comments given the numbers.

Maybe it’s a mindset? Was Moore only running to set up the pass?

I’d wager anything there was a pissing contest over using a FB, and the compromise was the McGovern deal.

All I know is opposing DBs sure seemed to know which routes were coming quite often.

75boyz

Reaction score
This whole new narrative of McCarthy being an author of this when to run and what type of run plays are run all in the name of effectiveness/efficiency is entertaining.
Why not just let Schottenheimer call the plays?

This has I told you so written all over it with McCarthy's past high volume pass offense history and the money in the receiver room and talk of drafting a tight end.

But yeah Mike, keep preaching this new version of your run game,you got a lot here already convinced.

I ain't one of them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I doubt they will run more...but if they can run more effectively then Dak won't have to throw it as much.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Moore was extremely formulaic, tending to go back to the traditional run 1st/2nd down to earn the option on 3rd down. He abandoned the run, when behind, and if down by two scores it appears to disappear all together (lack of that composure (again) and gives the stat impression that when Dak throws alot we lose.

The importance of the run game (and Zeke's final scene) can be seen in the 49ers game.....if we dont have it the secondary gets flooded and sit all day, putting Dak in a situation that he's not comfortable with.

Not necessarily the run game, but we need to increase the number of 21/12 personnel. The run game (especially your multi-facetted Pollards) is needed in the WCO.
AGain, thats a myth that was busted. When your down double digits in the 2nd half and Zeke is getting 2 ypc, you have to pass more. Simple situational football.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
AGain, thats a myth that was busted. When your down double digits in the 2nd half and Zeke is getting 2 ypc, you have to pass more. Simple situational football.
I think you're mistaken, if you're referring to the 9ers game, we were never more than 7 behind....it probably felt (or played) like more due to the lack of composure in the passing game.

John813

Reaction score
The way it makes sense to me is MM wanted to run more in certain situations. Like if the offense had a 3 and out the last drive, and then the defense was on the field for a while, maybe more TOP the following drive to give the defense a breather.

That, or it's simply April coach speak.

75boyz

Reaction score
The way it makes sense to me is MM wanted to run more in certain situations. Like if the offense had a 3 and out the last drive, and then the defense was on the field for a while, maybe more TOP the following drive to give the defense a breather.

That, or it's simply April coach speak.
I lean more towards the April coachspeak myself.
But that's prolly just me.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Only 6 teams had more rushing attempts per game last season than the Cowboys.

What was you saying about balance again?

Oh, I keep forgetting you Dak fans usually don't look stuff up before you go into defense mode.
That has nothing to do with what MM says is cause. MM gets to speak for himself as opposed to internet troll.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
That has nothing to do with what MM says is cause. MM gets to speak for himself as opposed to internet troll.
The numbers proved there was more than a balance.

31 rushing attempts per game. 33 pass attempts per game.

MM needs to do his research also I suppose. I dunno how much more balanced you could get.

He really meant "Dak do a lot less". He just tried to be nice about it and call it "balance".

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have tonhave a team that can win in more than one way. Sometimes the defense has to come through Ala when Rushbplayed and the defense saved the day.

And to your last point, if that's the only way we can win, then the opposing team knows how to take us out of our game, so perhaps that's what the niners did. Take the passing game away and Dallas has no chance.......

Our run defense was very average last half of the season and against the niners we had to focus on stopping the run and force them to beat us with Purdy. He played safe. We had two big opportunities and we didn't cash in.
Also have to consider that other than the QB, the player the Niners would have preferred to be out of the game was Pollard. That changed a lot of the offensive dynamics and the Niners were not worried about Elliott.

blueblood70

Reaction score
WK 7: 25 attempts
WK 8: 27 attempts
WK 9: 46 attempts
WK 10: 25 attempts
WK 11: 30 attempts
WK 12: 30 attempts
WK 13: 30 attempts
WK 14: 39 attempts
WK 15: 30 attempts
WK 16: 35 attempts
WK 17: 41 attempts
WK 18: 37 attempts

postseason
WK 1: 33 attempts
WK 2: 37 attempts
not the amount, its the type of plays ran, when they are ran and being more efficient, the plays are dated and not called situationally correct,.. how about this, Not carries,

how about the last 4 RS and the 2 playoff games Pollard was like 3.8 YPC 51YPG and ZERO Tds. you like that?

no run game ie 16 (pollard 6 zeke 10 runs to rbs called in the 9er playoff game and add daks 2 scramble and 2 Lamb runs=22.. 37?? where did you get that apparently i bet they are all off .https://www.nfl.com/games/cowboys-at-49ers-2022-post-2

they did run well in the TB wc game and WON..

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I typically don’t question these professional play callers but I’d love for someone to explain the point of 3rd and 2 with no backs out there. It’s the dumbest thing I see this team do on offense.
That’s the kind of calls I’m talking about. Everyone knows it’s a pass and they crash in.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I want to see us run the ball more than most teams but I think around the ratio from last year is about where I would like us to be. However, I would like to see some easier passes to complete though which is more my hope for this year. More step and throw and getting it out quicker. Less thinking and more just using our weapons. Also, we seem to do well when we utilize the PAP.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
because the qb stinks lol

it is that simple u can over analize if u want
Thats already a given, but I would at least be appreciative of a solid running game and great defensive play.
Dak will never win you a championship but a strong running game and defense can carry you pretty far and be entertaining doing it.
The less time Dak has the ball in his hands the better off this entire team is.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The numbers proved there was more than a balance.

31 rushing attempts per game. 33 pass attempts per game.

MM needs to do his research also I suppose. I dunno how much more balanced you could get.

He really meant "Dak do a lot less". He just tried to be nice about it and call it "balance".
How do those mental gymnastics justify your Dak bash fixation?

There is a difference between running the ball 11 times in a row -like Moore did when MM called him out- and mixing in 11 runs into your call sequence.

Again, MM has talked about extensively about trying to do more than just run up the score as he stated Moore was trying to do. That he was going to try to be more balanced and more with a team purpose.

At no point does he talk about Dak.

75boyz

Reaction score
Wow,
mental gymnastics?
He doesn't mention Dak?

He doesn't have to.
Every single play whether a hand off or pass or audibled at the line is carried out by this position called Quarterback.

He is ultimately charged with the execution of every single play.

To feign ignorance in the name of saying the quarterback position was not mentioned?

Wow.

StarLord

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
I wouldn't expect us to run much more than we did last season. I think we'll see more runs in situations where runs are called for or will be advantageous. 2 and 3s kinda thing.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Big Mike has declared, "I want to run the damn ball!" Many here cheer that message on. Pound the rock, baby!

Hmmm.....What would more running look like?

We were pass happy under Kellen Moore, right? Well...quite the opposite, in fact. In 2022 Dallas had the sixth most carries in the NFL. 531 rushing plays.

Interesting to look at the five teams who ran the ball more than Dallas:
-Falcons, Bears, Eagles, Commanders and Browns. Of those only the Eagles had a winning record.
-The Eagles had more carries than Dallas, but 30% of all Eagles carries were by QB Jalen Hurts. A lot of that on scrambles.

When you adjust for QB scramble runs...Kellen Moore called more run plays than even the Eagles.

It could be argued that the Falcons, Bears, Commanders and Browns only ran so much because they lacked a skilled passer. It sure didn't work out for them

So I ask you: Do you really think Big Mike is going to increase the reliance on the run game? And for the run-heavy fans here...walk me through it. WHY!?
Frankly, the important question isn’t if they’ll run more often, but if they’ll run the ball more efficiently, and in the right situations. Will they run more often at the appropriate times during games?