Win two playoff games or else

Blackrain

Reaction score
I’m as excited as any Cowboys fan about this recent turnaround/4 game winning streak. Let’s hope it becomes an eventual 11 game winning streak that includes a Lombardi.

If I’m the GM of this thing, Coach Garrett has had 8 seasons in charge, he has had a big say in the groceries and how they are cooked and been shown enormous patience to learn how to be a head coach. He has been given multiple combinations of coordinators and coaches...If Garrett doesn’t take this team to two playoff wins this year, he should be fired.

If after 8 seasons, we still don’t have an NFC championship, what are we waiting for Garrett to do? How much more time does he need to become the coach Jerry has shown more patience with than any coach in the nearly 30 years he’s owned the team?

It’s win now or it’s goodbye Garrett....right? Or is the naked emperor going to make Garrett Marvin Lewis, Jr?

Well first Garrett is not going anywhere no matter what we want or see as logical . Its Jerrys toy and Garretts his boy . Second as good as things are right at this second they can get just that bad in blink of an eye .
Before we get talking about the playoffs we have to beat the Eagles in our house and that is anything but guaranteed . They got Sproles back and are not the team we beat earlier . They look a bit rejuvenated. The saints game can not have been our SB . We need to focus take one game at a time and not look past anyone or there will be no playoffs .

People need to understand just because we beat the Saints who were considered the best in the NFL dosent mean we automatically beat everyone else on our schedule . It just shows we have the ability. The games have to be played . Lets slow the roll till we finish the job . How we finish the season will say a lot about if Garrett has made any progress in his coaching .

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I’m as excited as any Cowboys fan about this recent turnaround/4 game winning streak. Let’s hope it becomes an eventual 11 game winning streak that includes a Lombardi.

If I’m the GM of this thing, Coach Garrett has had 8 seasons in charge, he has had a big say in the groceries and how they are cooked and been shown enormous patience to learn how to be a head coach. He has been given multiple combinations of coordinators and coaches...If Garrett doesn’t take this team to two playoff wins this year, he should be fired.

If after 8 seasons, we still don’t have an NFC championship, what are we waiting for Garrett to do? How much more time does he need to become the coach Jerry has shown more patience with than any coach in the nearly 30 years he’s owned the team?

It’s win now or it’s goodbye Garrett....right? Or is the naked emperor going to make Garrett Marvin Lewis, Jr?
8 is an arbitrary number you have pulled out of the sky for the number of seasons you will tolerate before drawing a line in the sand. Why 8? why not 9, 10? I was there at 7 seasons, just wondering what made you more patient?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's not going anywhere, if they even miss the playoffs. Linehan will be on the 3:10 to Yuma and maybe Moore.

To think Garrett will be fired is to ignore why he is the HC in the first place.
yep.. like it or not this is our destiny with Jerry. Coach has his finger on the pulse.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Since Mike McCarthy’s firing, these are the only coaches with longer tenure than Jason Garrett:

Bill Belichick
Sean Payton
Marvin Lewis
Mike Tomlin
John Harbaugh
Pete Carroll

Everyone on the above list has at least one SB win except Marvin Lewis and Garrett.
Not sure why we continue comparing our dysfunctional situation to normal franchises ?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
8 is an arbitrary number you have pulled out of the sky for the number of seasons you will tolerate before drawing a line in the sand. Why 8? why not 9, 10? I was there at 7 seasons, just wondering what made you more patient?
Right. We continue to support Jerry after a couple decades of his foolishness.

After 3 straight 8-8 most had had enough of Garrett. Not sure why 8 seasons is the magic number? Lol

I’ve had enough of Jerry but I’m still here.

It’s time for fans to evaluate our dysfunctional situation as it is not what they wish or hope it should be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The bar that keeps being moved is the bar of excellence, which keeps being lowered by our GM. One playoff win in 7 seasons is why the 8th year should be the put up or shut up year.
Bob , I’m sorry to report “ the bar of excellence “ was lowered years ago with Jerry’s stranglehold on football operations.

3 playoff wins and no championship appearances in 23 years hasn’t put up or shut up Jerry. When will that year come?

There is no ceiling on how long Jerry will tolerate Garrett.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Lol...people keep moving the bar, 4-5 weeks ago it was playoffs or bust,...lol
Right!

The possibility of new HC provides some fans a new hope . They can’t handle the false hope Jerry provides.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
For me, we have to win the Easy and defend home turf in the playoffs. I don’t expect them to go to LA or NO and win on the road. I would support Garrett coming back if that were to happen unless Garrett made a head scratching decision which greatly prevented a victory in the 2nd playoff game.

If we do win in the first round of the playoffs and just get beat by the better team in round 2, then we must make the playoffs again next year and win another game for me to continue supporting Garrett.

That would be the first time in his career we made playoffs back to back and his playoff record would improve to 3-4 at minimum, which would be looking up.

Failure to make the playoffs and/or going one and done in them prior to making an NFC Championship game appearance should be an instant firing, IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you shouldn't search for a better coach because he might be worse?
I think we’d all like a better HC. I’m not sure that’s a real possibility with Jerry’s agendas?

The only scenario I see Jerry willing to bring in a HC who could receive more credit than him for building a championship team we’d need to hit rock bottom. Like a 1-7 or 3 straight 5-11 seasons. That’s been the bar we’ve had so far.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
You’re really setting yourself up for disappointment, if you think anything less than going to the NFC championship will get Garrett fired. You’re probably right in that *should* be the threshold, but it’s not. In a season where we cut our leading WR (and did not replace him until week 6 or so with Cooper), Witten retired (did not replace at all) and got 0 games from Travis Fredrick, the bar just wont be that high.

While I think the offense was woefully under productive prior to getting Cooper, I don’t think anything better than 8-8 or 9-7 was realistic. And we were likely going to fall short of that, but now because of Cooper, we’ll likely exceed that mark. But going to New Orleans or Los Angeles and expecting an upset, won’t decide Garrett’s fate.

The glass half full answer to most here, is we’d likely have to at least win in the first round AND be competitive in round 2 for Garrett to be safe. And that likely sets up 2019 to be his final season. Which depending on what coaches are available for us, I may be fine with. Ideally I would like Josh McDaniels, but after the Colts thing, I really don’t know about him. I wouldn’t mind Kris Richard to be honest, and Matt LeFleur as the o coordinator, but he’s already in that post in Tennessee. Not sure who the next great offensive mind is, but if we can identify that guy, I would prefer them over the status quo

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jones has eyes for Lincoln Riley so I think Bob is right.
I could see Jerry pursuing Riley as OC. But as HC?

Riley could take the credit away from Jerry like Jimmy did. That’s not what Jerry wants.

And why would Riley come here? With Dak? And Jerry? Over a host of other teams , and QB’s.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can’t think beyond Philly at this point.
The Lynch Mob will be out again if we lose to Egirls which is a good possibility.

Jerry’s looked in the mirror and believes we’ve arrived. Another kiss of death on this team. The fans will believe we’re underachieving if we lose all because Jerry’s out promoting his product.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Since Mike McCarthy’s firing, these are the only coaches with longer tenure than Jason Garrett:

Bill Belichick
Sean Payton
Marvin Lewis
Mike Tomlin
John Harbaugh
Pete Carroll

Everyone on the above list has at least one SB win except Marvin Lewis and Garrett.

If the Cowboys were a publicly traded company like the Packers, we the fans would have some say as share holders. Clearly the Packers share holders were not satisfied with only 1 SB win during the McCarthy/Aaron reign. Out of curiosity I wonder if the Saints, Steelers, Seahawks were publicly traded companies if their share holders would be happy with 1 SB win during the Payton/Brees, Tomlin/Ben, Carrol/Wilson era's respectively. I suspect they would all be happy as long as the seats were full, paraphernalia was being sold etc and money was flowing in. Honestly, I'm thinking the only share holders who would be totally happy would be the Patriot share holders. Also curious if we the people would be happy with a lone SB win in 9 years. I think not. Why? Because we're Cowboy fans and we are different ;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think it's one game less than that. I think if he wins the division and then one playoff game, I think he's safe. Is it the decision I would make? Not necessarily. But I think it's one that this owner will want to make.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Lynch Mob will be out again if we lose to Egirls which is a good possibility.

Jerry’s looked in the mirror and believes we’ve arrived. Another kiss of death on this team. The fans will believe we’re underachieving if we lose all because Jerry’s out promoting his product.

We will be underachieving if we lose. They've beaten this team before, in their house, and the Cowboys just completely shut down the Saints, who hung a record-setting beatdown on these Eagles just a few weeks ago. The bar has been raised these past few weeks, no lowering it now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So since you are saying the bar keeps being moved, has it been moved up or down, and where should it be in your opinion? You have criticized opinions here, which I have no problem with, but you haven’t stated your opinion. So where should the bar be according to YOU?

He fancies himself a wannabe "coach", so his mantra is "coaching is hard". Therefore, in his own mind, you can't criticize any coach, no matter how terrible they might be at their job.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We will be underachieving if we lose. They've beaten this team before, in their house, and the Cowboys just completely shut down the Saints, who hung a record-setting beatdown on these Eagles just a few weeks ago. The bar has been raised these past few weeks, no lowering it now.
Beating the Saints doesn’t make us an elite team now anymore than the Titans blow out of the Patriots made them.

I hope you’re right that we’ve raised the bar but there’s still some football left to be played. Unlike Jerry I’m not ready to crown this team anything yet other than we have a very good defense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were a publicly traded company like the Packers, we the fans would have some say as share holders. Clearly the Packers share holders were not satisfied with only 1 SB win during the McCarthy/Aaron reign. Out of curiosity I wonder if the Saints, Steelers, Seahawks were publicly traded companies if their share holders would be happy with 1 SB win during the Payton/Brees, Tomlin/Ben, Carrol/Wilson era's respectively. I suspect they would all be happy as long as the seats were full, paraphernalia was being sold etc and money was flowing in. Honestly, I'm thinking the only share holders who would be totally happy would be the Patriot share holders. Also curious if we the people would be happy with a lone SB win in 9 years. I think not. Why? Because we're Cowboy fans and we are different ;)
Good points!

The difference is those teams with even 1 championship under the QB’s and or HC it provides more hope for the fans because they’ve done it.

It’s the same reason many fans have given Jerry a pass for life.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beating the Saints doesn’t make us an elite team now anymore than the Titans blow out of the Patriots made them.

"Elite" was never mentioned.

I hope you’re right that we’ve raised the bar but there’s still some football left to be played. Unlike Jerry I’m not ready to crown this team anything yet other than we have a very good defense.

I'm not crowning anyone either. I'm just not lowering my expectations so that someone can somehow make the cut. It's all right in front of this team. And this coach. Go win the game on Sunday and leave no doubt. Either you can, or you can't. It's as simple as that.