With a win on Sunday Dak can put himself in good company

1942willys

Reaction score
It happened whether it was luck or not lol. It’s one of the greatest throws and catches in SB history. Eli nutted up and made a big time throw.
I guess you never heard him admit it was a desperation heave at where he thought the guy was because he was about to get sacked?
It was not a great throw; it was not a big time throw; it was a prayer and tyree made the one play he made in his entire career. No one who saw that play calls it anything else but luck except you.

starfan1

Reaction score
Giants were never more talented than the Cowboys in those SB runs. Eli Manning just turned it on when the playoffs started. Romo was just blah. Flacco also turned it on that SB year. That’s how you win. Your QB playing over their head.
There are so many dallas fans that poo poo Elis accomplishments because he'll get in the hall and romo wont sniff it. Eli's playoff runs in those 2 years were darn good as well as flacco's but they were also fueled by defenses playing out their mind.

1942willys

Reaction score
There are so many dallas fans that poo poo Elis accomplishments because he'll get in the hall and romo wont sniff it. Eli's playoff runs in those 2 years were darn good as well as flacco's but they were also fueled by defenses playing out their mind.
Eli is not getting into the HOF. His career will not get it done. Eli Manning was never considered in the argument as the best QB in the NFL and that is one of the primary qualifiers. His career numbers are also pretty blah if you are talking HOF. Bluntly speaking if you think Eli should be in the HOF then so should Jim Plunket who also won two rings.
Eli's 2007 Playoff numbers were nothing exceptional either. Now he did play lights out or close to it in 2011 but that is not enough to put anyone in the HOF.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I guess you never heard him admit it was a desperation heave at where he thought the guy was because he was about to get sacked?
It was not a great throw; it was not a big time throw; it was a prayer and tyree made the one play he made in his entire career. No one who saw that play calls it anything else but luck except you.
It doesn't matter if it was luck. HE MADE TO THROW. There's no asterisk....he made the throw and Tyree made the catch. And then he nutted up and did it again and won another ring. How the hell is winning 2 rings on the road luck? Explain? And how can we get that lucky? Or hell why was Romo never that lucky? To discredit Eli is moronic. Yeah sure it was cool 10 years ago because it was still fresh. But I'll tell you this....there was nothing lucky about beating us in 2007.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Eli is not getting into the HOF. His career will not get it done. Eli Manning was never considered in the argument as the best QB in the NFL and that is one of the primary qualifiers. His career numbers are also pretty blah if you are talking HOF. Bluntly speaking if you think Eli should be in the HOF then so should Jim Plunket who also won two rings.
Eli's 2007 Playoff numbers were nothing exceptional either. Now he did play lights out or close to it in 2011 but that is not enough to put anyone in the HOF.
You're just talking to talk. You have no idea what the primary qualifiers are.....guys don't get into the hall of fame simply because of being the best QB in the NFL lol....If you quarterback a team to two SB's......he's gonna get some votes. Romo was never the best QB in the league but if he had one SB ring he would've been a hall of fame.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. Eli and Joe didn't win by themselves. But their arms are a big part of they won. They played better in the playoffs than they did in the SB. Romo never did it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
LOL. Just like I just said to the other dude, it's time to let it go. Dak is our QB. Y'all need to get outside and enjoy the sunshine. Don't you Texas boys have nice weather? Here in Iowa it's cold and foggy.
this 100%.... and its colder (you know we like our heat here) and rainy..lol

1942willys

Reaction score
You're just talking to talk. You have no idea what the primary qualifiers are.....guys don't get into the hall of fame simply because of being the best QB in the NFL lol....If you quarterback a team to two SB's......he's gonna get some votes. Romo was never the best QB in the league but if he had one SB ring he would've been a hall of fame.
SO speaks someone that has no clue about what it takes to get into the HOF
Dan Marino had a blah playoff record and he is in because he blew the doors off of the NFL passing records
HE was considered as if not the best in the argument
Eli never made ALL PRO.
SHOW ME who is in the HOF in the last 40 years did not make the All Pro team. Do a little research before embarrassing yourself again

starfan1

Reaction score
i dont have a problem with either getting in well see what happens

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Dan Marino had a blah playoff record and he is in because he blew the doors off of the NFL passing records
Eli never made ALL PRO.
SHOW ME who is in the HOF in the last 40 years did not make the All Pro team. Do a little research before embarrassing yourself again
SMH....you just embarrassed yourself....tell you what...here's some homework go and tell me how many All Pro's Troy Aikman made.......

1942willys

Reaction score
SMH....you just embarrassed yourself....tell you what...here's some homework go and tell me how many All Pro's Troy Aikman made.......
OK that is one - he also was part of a dynasty and won THREE RINGS in four years and made it to the Conference Championship in the other
So try again
I would have sworn he made it once but OK he did not
But if you are trying to claim Eli Manning is in the same class as a QB as Troy Aikman I will sit back and enjoy the result

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
OK that is one - he also was part of a dynasty and won THREE RINGS in four years and made it to the Conference Championship in the other
So try again
I would have sworn he made it once but OK he did not
But if you are trying to claim Eli Manning is in the same class as a QB as Troy Aikman I will sit back and enjoy the result
Don't do that. I never said Eli and Aikman were in the same class. You asked me a question and I answered it. I have "no clue" but you didn't even know Troy Aikman a Cowboy fits the exact description you said lol. Don't try and deflect and push the goal post back now.

But let me get this straight....Aikman had no All Pros but got in the hall because he has 3 rings ...but Eli Manning has 2 rings and no All Pro's and you think he has no shot in making the hall of fame lol?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eli never made ALL PRO.
To be inducted in the HOF now is much different than it was back when Namath and Marino played. So yes you are correct.
Marino obliterated passing records. Basically carried his teams. When he had the offense, he had no defense, then when he had a defense, he had no offense.

By today's standards, Joe Namath would never be in the HOF. But back then, he was somewhat of a prolific passer, and was a celebrity QB. His SB prediction and boldness and then winning it went a long way to get him inducted. This was when the NFL and the HOF was really starting to take off. And the advertisement of the SB every year gaining the NFL momentum into a juggernaut.

Now IMO the HOF can be somewhat of a joke. Get stats close to everyone else, be a fan / media favorite. As they feel the need to induct 5 or 6 players for the publicity, instead of 3 or 4 that really deserve it.

So by the early days of players going into the HOF, it was not hard to break records back then, as it is now. There are players that deserve to be in the HOF, and probably some that don't. But still can't compare them all across the eras.

bottleKids

Reaction score
I usually agree with a lot of your stuff, but I think Eli is going to get in based on a few things:

1.) Played his whole career in the same city (they won't admit it but the Committee wishes there was more of this)
2.) 2 titles
3.) He is 10th all time in passing yards. Many people under him are in the HOF including John Ellway, Johnny Unitas, and Dan Foutus. Stat wise Elli checks the box for his position.
4.) his last name

1942willys

Reaction score
To be inducted in the HOF now is much different than it was back when Namath and Marino played. So yes you are correct.
Marino obliterated passing records. Basically carried his teams. When he had the offense, he had no defense, then when he had a defense, he had no offense.

By today's standards, Joe Namath would never be in the HOF. But back then, he was somewhat of a prolific passer, and was a celebrity QB. His SB prediction and boldness and then winning it went a long way to get him inducted. This was when the NFL and the HOF was really starting to take off. And the advertisement of the SB every year gaining the NFL momentum into a juggernaut.

Now IMO the HOF can be somewhat of a joke. Get stats close to everyone else, be a fan / media favorite. As they feel the need to induct 5 or 6 players for the publicity, instead of 3 or 4 that really deserve it.

So by the early days of players going into the HOF, it was not hard to break records back then, as it is now. There are players that deserve to be in the HOF, and probably some that don't. But still can't compare them all across the eras.
IT is true that looking at his Career Joe Namath should not have made it into the HOF. "I guarantee it" and all the publicity that swirled about him is what got him in. A lot of those from the AFL credit that win with truly making them an equal to the NFL. Sentiment was a big reason he went in. One of the major qualifiers is if a player changes the game. It is arguable he did. It is like with Bob Hayes; he changed the game and that was his major qualifier getting him in.

Also agree that too many get in that really should not be. Too many of the older players are ignored for the flashy guys of today. It is not all about stats; it is about what that player did when he was playing. Honestly, it can be argued about Aikman getting in. He never made All Pro; and he never led the NFL in passing and his career rating was 81.6
But he was part of the dynasty and three rings in four years. And he came up big in the playoffs.

1942willys

Reaction score
I usually agree with a lot of your stuff, but I think Eli is going to get in based on a few things:

1.) Played his whole career in the same city (they won't admit it but the Committee wishes there was more of this)
2.) 2 titles
3.) He is 10th all time in passing yards. Many people under him are in the HOF including John Ellway, Johnny Unitas, and Dan Foutus. Stat wise Elli checks the box for his position.
4.) his last name
I can see your points but longevity did not help Vinny Testeverde. Eli racked up career stats but then he played a fairly long time as well.
As I pointed out Jim Plunket has two rings and he will never sniff the HOF.
Playing all that time in one city is no big deal but it is NYC and the eastern writers think that is important. The NY media still has a fair amount of clout but I really believe it will not be enough. Especially as time goes by, I think it will gradually fade
As regards his last name, I think that can cut two ways. It could help him because Peyton was his brother and it could hurt him as he will always be seen as the lesser Manning QB

bottleKids

Reaction score
I can see your points but longevity did not help Vinny Testeverde. Eli racked up career stats but then he played a fairly long time as well.
As I pointed out Jim Plunket has two rings and he will never sniff the HOF.
Playing all that time in one city is no big deal but it is NYC and the eastern writers think that is important. The NY media still has a fair amount of clout but I really believe it will not be enough. Especially as time goes by, I think it will gradually fade
As regards his last name, I think that can cut two ways. It could help him because Peyton was his brother and it could hurt him as he will always be seen as the lesser Manning QB
Yeah all valid points... now i will say I would be surprised if he is a first ballot HOF....looks like he is eligible next year so we will find out soon.