With McCarthy, Trey Lance could be great

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak won Offensive Rookie of the Year, and won his first playoff game by year 3.

Trey Lance got beat out by Sam Darnold for a backup spot in year 3, so he got upset and forced the team that traded the farm to draft him #3 overall to deal him to a rival for a 4th-round pick.

The similarities are almost eerie!!!
Wait dude....

Dak had a really good team. What has Trey played with up to now?

Come on. You know dang well Dak didn't have to prove himself with nobodies. NOT similar AT ALL!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak wasn't given a chance he was forced into his situation, not exactly the same. Lance gets another year to develop.
FORCED? Into a situation? With Rookie Zeke and Fred Beard.

What has lance played with so far?

Come on people.....you have got to be leg pulling.

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’ll need to because I honestly don’t remember the game. My first time hearing this game referenced as a game where his accuracy issues show up. They typically go to the David Carr video lol.

I can find highlights gonna see if I can find it.
Yeah try and get the full game. I watched it and was blown away by His demeanour and He did not have a sense of urgency. His passes were all over the place

I feel Dak plays His heart out when He is fighting for His job then coats if he feels secure. Since he has been here there has been no competition.

Lance is the only real threat. Not because He is the more polished QB now but because Lance may represent the future of the franchise if he is able to continue to improve and show a spark

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Not the same team Dak had. No you don't stick with the "hot hand" especially when your starter is the superior talent and has far more experience.
I'm not even advocating Lance to start just merely comparing him to to the rookie version of Dak.
Well, the Cowboys stuck with the hot hand. Where in the rule book does it say you can't?
Second, Romo was a hit away from retiring - or being retired by injury. That's why he said goodbye when he didn't get his job back. He wasn't getting traded to another team so he could play again. He was done. Fortunately, the CBS gig came along, which forced him to make a decision he knew was coming sooner rather than later.
Had Romo had six more years in his playing career, I might agree that he should have been able to compete to get his position back. But his injury and age were a difference maker, and Dak was the future.
As for your last statement, I'm sorry but Lance in his rookie year and even now isn't anywhere close to Dak. And I'm among those who believe Dak has reached his peak. Lance doesn't even have a peak. More like a pip.:muttley:

NotForLong

Reaction score
He inherited a super bowl team, a polished QB would have went further, he actually limited that team.
True story. If only the Cowboys had a polished QB on the Roster . . . Oh wait a minute they did. Except the Coach of the Year and the GM of the Millennium said no

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who did Lance play with in his first 3 NFL seasons?

That's what my post was about, so that's what you're asking me about, right?

I'll answer: Lance had the best supporting cast in the entire NFL, the San Francisco 49ers.

He failed MISERABLY there, and forced a trade last year because he couldn't even earn a BACKUP SPOT.

Thanks for playing!
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
You so easily reveal how you do NOT...know....how NFL football works,

Or professional sports...entertainment...or even life itself, really.

You actually think you shouldn't get *** over even if you don't deserve it? ..on my how CUTE!

Kids these days....gosh so cute!

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Dak wasn't given a chance he was forced into his situation, not exactly the same. Lance gets another year to develop.
Uh, he was given a chance due to Romo's injury. Doesn't matter the issue or situation. He was given an opportunity to start and led the Cowboys to the No. 1 in his rookie year.
Furthermore, I think I said Lance is nowhere near ready to claim Dak's spot. Maybe McCarthy can work wonders. But if something happens to Dak and Lance has to start, uh, with the No. 1 pick overall in the 2025 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select .... ;)

NotForLong

Reaction score
That's because Romo was injured and Dak led the Cowboys to a 13-3 record and the No. 1 seed.
If Dak gets hurt and Lance leads the Cowboys to a 13-3 record, I won't be clamoring for Dak to get his position back, just like I wasn't campaigning for Romo to get his back.
You stick with the hot hand, unless your injured quarterback trying to return is Mahome or Brady.
But who HONESTLY believes Lance can lead this team to a 13-3 record? :rolleyes:
"Stick with the Hot Hand" I remember Sharpe and Bayless and A Smith saying the same thing that year. I couldn't believe Cowboy Fans would Parroted it. . . Still Proclaiming it. . . Amazing

NotForLong

Reaction score
Nothing Trey has done at this point in his career points to him being able to play as well as Dak did as a rookie. Nothing.

It would be pure conjecture and finger crossing to hope he would.
That team no longer exists. . . . it could never happen again

tyke1doe

Reaction score
"Stick with the Hot Hand" I remember Sharpe and Bayless and A Smith saying the same thing that year. I couldn't believe Cowboy Fans would Parroted it. . . Still Proclaiming it. . . Amazing
Well, the New England Patriots fans said it when Drew Bledsoe was injured for the year and the Pats had to turnover the reins to Tom Brady. ;)

NotForLong

Reaction score
Well, the Cowboys stuck with the hot hand. Where in the rule book does it say you can't?
Second, Romo was a hit away from retiring - or being retired by injury. That's why he said goodbye when he didn't get his job back. He wasn't getting traded to another team so he could play again. He was done. Fortunately, the CBS gig came along, which forced him to make a decision he knew was coming sooner rather than later.
Had Romo had six more years in his playing career, I might agree that he should have been able to compete to get his position back. But his injury and age were a difference maker, and Dak was the future.
As for your last statement, I'm sorry but Lance in his rookie year and even now isn't anywhere close to Dak. And I'm among those who believe Dak has reached his peak. Lance doesn't even have a peak. More like a pip.:muttley:
What? The Texans and Broncos were a QB away from being a Super Bowl Champion. Jerry promised to release Romo but reneged when He saw the interest being generated. He wanted to hold Tony Hostage for a pick

Jerry screwed To my by not allowing him to compete for His Job back then Jerry screwed him again by not releasing Him

Instead hanging around while Jerry yanked His chain CBS offered Him a Job He could not refuse. The #1 team

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Tell them to go watch the Ravens game after Jerry and the Coach of the year shut down Romo
He didn’t play well two games in a row. I think it was against the Vikings and the Giants. He didn’t have much more than 150 yards passing in each I think if memory serves me correctly. If there was any time to re-insert Romo it was after those two games which they still won despite that.

Last edited: