With McCarthy, Trey Lance could be great

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Much better than Lance’s actually. Not that it matters.
Show us the numbers. And context too...since you are the one that claims it.

Not that it matters.

Edit...I happen to think they are shaping up to be very similar. Lance's preseason isn;t over yet.....But since you have seen the future...do tell!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The defense was kept off the field all season by the running game.

That same game you just mentioned the defense not stinking and yet they got their **** pushed in by Rodger’s all game and allowed 3 touchdowns in a row to start the game. The defense was *** in the playoffs.
That’s because Rogers is a HOF QB with the highest pass rating in the league ever. Sometimes you need to keep up on offense when the defense meets a good offense on the opposing team. Dak as a rookie could NOT do that early in the game against one of the worst passing defenses in the league. And it wasn’t three TDs in a row. This isn’t playground basketball where the scorer gets to keep possession until he misses.

Read what I wrote.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That’s because Rogers is a HOF QB with the highest pass rating in the league ever. Sometimes you need to keep up on offense when the defense meets a good offense. Dak as a rookie could NOT do that early in the game against one of the worst passing defenses in the league.

Read what I wrote.
The defense wasn’t good. They got steamrolled for over 30 points in the playoffs. I don’t care if it was Rodgers or not. The defense got their butts whipped by a better team. Therefore, not championship caliber.

Regardless I’m not here to re litigate the 2016 season it’s not even what the thread is about, somebody else brought it up.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The defense wasn’t good. They got steamrolled for over 30 points in the playoffs. I don’t care if it was Rodgers or not. The defense got their butts whipped by a better team. Therefore, not championship caliber.

Regardless I’m not here to re litigate the 2016 season it’s not even what the thread is about, somebody else brought it up.
The defense was good. All year. Their ranking says they were, You can say they weren’t good in this game, but neither was Dak in the first half. It’s the same pattern of play that has been occurring now for years.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not your secretary. If your cowboys history knowledge is that bad. That’s a you problem.
I see....so you can boast claims without any proof? Hmmm....sweet gig dude.

HungryLion said:
Much better than Lance’s actually. Not that it matters.

The preseason isn't even over yet...and you claimed Dak's was better. Credibility....zero.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
No Dak wasn’t. Trey literally played one season in college in 1-AA ball.

Dak started 3 seasons in the SEC.

Lance was more raw than Dak.

Damn y’all getting so defensive I’m not even attacking Lance. Just saying his pre season has been nothing special so far.
Still inflating Dak’s abilities as a rookie

HungryLion

Reaction score
The defense was good. All year. Their ranking says they were, You can say they weren’t good in this game, but neither was Dak in the first half. It’s the same pattern of play that has been occurring now for years.
This thread wasn’t about how good Dak is or isn’t. Somebody said the 2016 roster was a Super Bowl roster. I said it wasn’t. Defense wasn’t good enough.

You can claim you think they were a Super Bowl roster but you also have zero evidence to prove that’s true considering the cowboys haven’t been to one in 30 years.

Thanks for your thoughts

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This thread wasn’t about how good Dak is or isn’t. Somebody said the 2016 roster was a Super Bowl roster. I said it wasn’t. Defense wasn’t good enough.

You can claim you think they were a Super Bowl roster but you also have zero evidence to prove that’s true considering the cowboys haven’t been to one in 30 years.

Thanks for your thoughts
Umm…they were the #1 seed with a rookie QB. If that isn’t a SB roster, what is?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Umm…they were the #1 seed with a rookie QB. If that isn’t a SB roster, what is?
Umm a roster that actually makes a Super Bowl or even a conference title game
At any point with relatively the same players on it?

It’s freaking laughable to call it a Super Bowl roster when that roster and the ones directly preceding and after it never made it close
To a Super Bowl.

morat1959

Reaction score
His development is the only thing that gives me hope with this team. This still shouldn’t stop the Jones from changing their philosophy on the QB position. They need to put a lot more stock in the QB position every year. A franchise QB is the only position that can help overcome the soft culture in Jerry’s world. You’ve got to roll the dice occasionally or you’ll get what we’ve had since Aikman.

HungryLion

Reaction score
His development is the only thing that gives me hope with this team. This still shouldn’t stop the Jones from changing their philosophy on the QB position. They need to put a lot more stock in the QB position every year. A franchise QB is the only position that can help overcome the soft culture in Jerry’s world. You’ve got to roll the dice occasionally or you’ll get what we’ve had since Aikman.
This is really the crux of it. Lance is still a
Long shot at this point. I think they have a better chance of finding the guy by using a high pick on another QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That’s because Rogers is a HOF QB with the highest pass rating in the league ever. Sometimes you need to keep up on offense when the defense meets a good offense on the opposing team. Dak as a rookie could NOT do that early in the game against one of the worst passing defenses in the league. And it wasn’t three TDs in a row. This isn’t playground basketball where the scorer gets to keep possession until he misses.

Read what I wrote.
This post of yours is funny though. You know who is #5 all time in career passer rating?

Take your time.

What you people don’t seem to understand is. As a fan I want a QB even better than Dak. I want a HoF level guy.

Lance hasn’t shown anything yet to make me think he is on that path. That’s all I said with my posts. Dak’s career trajectory was/is better than anything Lance has shown yet. That’s all I’m saying.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lance just needs to play.

It’s obvious.

Nobody knows what he is yet because he hasn’t had a real opportunity yet.

He needed more time in college. That’s just the reality of all this.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

It’s freaking laughable to call it a Super Bowl roster when that roster and the ones directly preceding and after it never made it close
To a Super Bowl.
Umm..you can’t have it both ways. You can’t qualify that a team doesn’t have a SB roster post facto just because they didn’t win the SB. You can only determine that during the year.

What the Cowboys didn’t have was an optimal SB roster that year because they decided to go with a rookie QB instead of a ten year veteran who was better.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Umm..you can’t have it both ways. You can’t qualify that a team doesn’t have a SB roster post facto just because they didn’t win the SB. You can only determine that during the year.

What the Cowboys didn’t have was an optimal SB roster that year because they decided to go with a rookie QB instead of a ten year veteran who was better.
Lmao. Actually I can. What, I can’t because you say I can’t?

Did the cowboys win a Super Bowl in 2016? Did they anytime in the years preceding or after?

No.

Not a Super Bowl roster.

Anyone stating they were a Super Bowl roster is merely making a projection or stating their opinion. One I disagree with and am
Justified in disagreeing with that opinion.

The defensive line was pathetic in 2016. DL/OL are the most important parts of a roster behind QB.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score

To a Super Bowl.
OMG. You just repeated the same thing that I countered. The fact they they didn’t make a conference championship game or SB was a big disappointment because you had gained the #1 seed playing all year proving that you were a SB capable roster. Just because you don’t make it there doesn’t just negate it. Then playing in the regular season would be pointless and they would just have playoffs for all teams.

And what the teams are in prior or later years have nothing to do with the current year.

How many accounts do you have?

HungryLion

Reaction score
OMG. You just repeated the same thing that I countered. The fact they they didn’t make a conference championship game or SB was a big disappointment because you had gained the #1 seed playing all year proving that you were a SB capable roster. Just because you don’t make it there doesn’t just negate it. Then playing in the regular season would be pointless and they would just have playoffs for all teams.

And what the teams are in prior or later years have nothing to do with the current year.

How many accounts do you have?

This is a pointless argument. You’re making a claim that is purely opinion. I don’t agree with that opinion.

Simple as that.

You want to go on thinking that 2016 roster was a Super Bowl roster and the only thing that held it back was Dak. Fine. I really don’t care if you feel that way.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
This is a pointless argument. You’re making a claim that is purely opinion. I don’t agree with that opinion.

Simple as that.
It’s not just “purely opinion”. It’s a rational position based on facts about the game.