Drafted by Cowboys With the 29th pick. Dallas Cowboys take OT Tyler Guyton

Staubacher

Reaction score
Yeah honestly I think Guyton is going to be in for a REALLY rough year if they just plug him in at left tackle and roll.

My issue with his film is that he is often off balance and out of position. Not to mention that he never is whupping the guy across from him.

I’m not a huge fan of this pick, but as always, I will wait and see. It will probably take a few years to see what the final product will look like.
Funny we heard that doing nothing in FA was dandy because we'd draft Day 1 starters

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
A headcase with motivational issues.....:facepalm: Is Jerry Jones running a pro football team or an insane asylum? It's just amazing....as long as a guy has the "measurables"........he's draftable. And this is why we are the laughing stock of the entire league. Drafting one turd after another....

And some people don't think there is a culture problem.....

Couldn't be more clear......:banghead:
I am one of the Cowboy's biggest critics on this board, but I will say in their defense that Guyton was graded by almost all the draft sites as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

Drafting him 29 was not a reach, he was drafted right where all the experts had him ranked.

If he was a turd, as you seem to think he is, he would not be a consensus first round-early 2nd pick by almost every major scouting service.

Just saying.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well we picked up now 2 LTs in the last three drafts.

I hope we didnt find another guard we could have picked up with a late 2nd rounder.
That's a harsh take, there's nothing wrong with Tyler S at Tackle, we just had Tyron. A alternative slant is that we took a Second Round graded Tackle, with technical issues, and turned him into an ALL-PRO.....done it once, we can do it again.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The Draft Show just said OL coach Mike Solari is all in with Brock Hoffman as our new starting center
This is a deep C class. To cross our fingers and roll with an unproven player at a critically thin position is just stupid.

This team loves to make things more difficult than they need to be

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yeah,
somebody already mentioned the word develop and first rounder is not what I like either but I am with you on their solid history of 1st round olinemen so that's all I've got right now.
What is even worse is I'm not the biggest of Solari fans either so I'm really gonna hafta embrace the wait and see approach.
I can’t believe Solari wasn’t fired… such an underwhelming season, particularly in the running game department where the whole OL regressed.

I am with you on Guyton being raw and needing to be developed. We need to find at least 4 plug and play starters— and he isn’t very polished and will be covering the blindside. What could possibly go wrong? Lol

At the end of the day— this FO has made its bed and will have to lie in it. To their credit— they got good value on the trade back at least. Guyton’s upside is at least intriguing — even if it might take 2-3 years to get there

Carter

Reaction score
Would have hated it at 24, im fine at 29 because that early extra third likely gives us options to draft a Center in the Third and still get a DT / RB Combo in Round 2/3.

At best we find 4 Starters with those picks

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
That's kind of why, even though I wanted Barton or JPJ, I figured we'd go with a tackle. Well, that and positional value. Our reasoning is likely that we can find a starting-quality center in the next couple of rounds. It's hard to find a tackle in those rounds with the traits Guyton has.

It would have been interesting, though, to see whether we would have taken Barton or Guyton if both had made it to 29. Hopefully, at worst this turns into a Tyler Smith/Linderbaum situation where both players prove their worth.
My issue with waiting on C is that we need an upgrade over Biadasz— and adding a mid round guy or rolling with Hoffman feels more like treading water and breaking even.

Brooks at 56 feels telegraphed, and a LBer in round 3 is a given as well. That leaves the final day 2 pick— not sure what the C market will look like at that point— but JPJ and Frazier are both likely gone before 56

TwentyOne

Reaction score
That's a harsh take, there's nothing wrong with Tyler S at Tackle, we just had Tyron. A alternative slant is that we took a Second Round graded Tackle, with technical issues, and turned him into an ALL-PRO.....done it once, we can do it again.
That wasnt meant against the players. Thats my take on our drafting abilities.

We drafted a LT with our first round pick in 2022. A #1 pick should start from day one. If you have a great starter at that position and you think he wont get beat out, well dont invest such a high draft pick then.
Tyler now plays LG, the 2nd least important position on the OL. You could have drafted a LG starter late in the 2nd or third round. Thats bad drafting and resource management.

Now we had to draft another LT with a premium pick. Why not let Tyler start at LT and spend a third rounder on a LG ? That again is bad resource management.

We proud ourselfs as a great drafting franchise and that we build our team thru the draft. To me the oposite is the case.

Also we need a Center very bad. We missed on that completely. And why ? One reason is: we need to spend too many draft picks on other positions to finally hit on someone.

Last edited:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Fingers crossed they can somehow get Fraser.

He is an absolute mauler and would be the perfect fit.
I would love the pick. He is a huge upgrade in the running game.

Dallas is in love with Brooks at 56, and we would likely have to trade up into the late 30’s to have a shot at Frazier.

We don’t have enough capital to do it I’m afraid. Barring a miraculous slide and an even more miraculous mindset change in the FO— Brooks seems like the pick of destiny at 56

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That wasnt meant against the players. Thats my take on our drafting abilities.

We drafted a LT with our first round pick in 2022. A #1 pick should start from day one. He plays LG now, 2nd least important position on the OL. YOu could have drafted a LG starter late in the 2nd round. Thats bad drafting.

Now we have to draft another LT with a premium pick. Why not let Tyler start at LT and spend a third rounder on an LG ? Thats just bad resource management.

And we proud ourselfs as a great drafting franchise and that we build our team thru the draft.
A #1 pick doesnt have to start day one. He fell to the end of the first BECAUSE he's not quite ready. There is nothing to say Tyler S couldnt play LT, but now we've got two first rounders solidifying the blind side. If you want to cheap out on the O-Line, then fine, me I like the idea of building as good an O-Line as possible.....and in a year we should be locked as on the left hand side and could even make the argument, that if Guyton fails as LT he has Guard/RT alternatives.

If you go low and pick a Guard, where do you go, if that pick doesnt work out. As you said "PREMIUM PICK", so we drafted a premium position.

Getting him with now the no. 73 pick does appear a good nights work.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Moving back a few spots to get a 3rd is great. Taking a developmental tackle who's weakness is pass blocking when you could have just moved Tyler to tackle is a wasted pick. Maybe this makes sense if they can move on from steel after next year.
Smith is good at tackle but could be great at guard. They’re leaving him there and most football people seem to believe that is his best position.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Smith is good at tackle but could be great at guard. They’re leaving him there and most football people seem to believe that is his best position.
Yep, it's not that he's failed as a Tackle, it's that he's excelled at Guard (and we always seem to mention that we are more concerned with pressure up the middle, rather than the Edge).

TwentyOne

Reaction score
A #1 pick doesnt have to start day one. He fell to the end of the first BECAUSE he's not quite ready. There is nothing to say Tyler S couldnt play LT, but now we've got two first rounders solidifying the blind side. If you want to cheap out on the O-Line, then fine, me I like the idea of building as good an O-Line as possible.....and in a year we should be locked as on the left hand side and could even make the argument, that if Guyton fails as LT he has Guard/RT alternatives.

If you go low and pick a Guard, where do you go, if that pick doesnt work out. As you said "PREMIUM PICK", so we drafted a premium position.

Getting him with now the no. 73 pick does appear a good nights work.
Of course he does not have to start day one.Only if you want to be good at drafting or a successful team.
If you say you had a good draft your #1 pick does not only have to start day one he should be a fixture at the Pro Bowl.

I want to have a great OL too. But not at all cost. We now spent 2 premium picks at two LT. One is degraded to guard the other might pan out. Afaik the guy needs a lot repetitions, he is very raw. He is very athletic but we had that before. So yes he might not be ready to start at LT come day one. Or as you suggested might even be degraded to guard also.

The reasons why Tyler fell doesnt matter. Again that is nothing against the player its a judgement of our drafting ability. He can play LT, no doubt. But he wasnt able to beat out our starter even in his second year. You dont draft a player with such a high pick if you know he will be a bench warmer or degraded to a position you could fill in with a lower draft pick. Thats a waste of resources.

And i cant follow your argumentation that i want to go low or cheap on the guard position. The guard position is the least important on the OL. Its common to pick guards in the 2nd or 3rd round and find great starters. Thats the way to build an OL. You dont pick guards with your first round pick. Of course you can and you can try to quench out some arguments for that (versatility or else). But in the end you wasted a premium pick and whats more: you dont call yourself a franchise that is good at drafting.

That a pick does not work out can happen regardless. Thats not a good argument. You can always argue i will go with A because B might wont work out. But that essentially says nothing. Flip A with B and you have the same result.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of course he does not have to start day one.Only if you want to be good at drafting or a successful team.
If you say you had a good draft your #1 pick does not only have to start day one he should be a fixture at the Pro Bowl.

I want to have a great OL too. But not at all cost.
Strange argument, that's coming across as subjectivity against the organization, rather than the specifics of the pick. Youve also back tracked on your initial 1st RD comment...
A #1 pick should start from day one. If you have a great starter at that position and you think he wont get beat out, well dont invest such a high draft pick then.
But Tyler Smith, played as an ALL-PRO, outstanding, GUARD. Guyton isnt beating out Smith, there's room (and possibly need for both).

It was the most frequently predicted Mock Pick, ive never heard anyone arguing against drafting the lines.

Out of interest who would you of drafted?

John813

Reaction score
Fine with the pick, just hate that his only competition for LT will be Chuma.
One thing when they drafted Tyler Smith and still had Tyron to ease Tyler into the NFL, on paper, they will be throwing Guyton into the fire and hoping for the best.
Of course Tyler ended up playing year 1 at LT with some mixed games. I had the thought by year 3 he should have adjusted to the game and could bounce back to LT

Still wish they kicked out Tyler, now going into year 3, Bass/Richard at LG and then Barton at center, but so it goes

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Unserious franchise.

This guy could be an All-Pro for the next decade just like Tyron Smith and it will lead to nothing just like it did with Tyron Smith.

He will not change our W/L record next season one bit. It will be what it will be regardless of him.

Cooper Rush is 4-1 without Tyron Smith. Thats how important a great LT is at the end of the day.

Gambit

Reaction score
Basketball guy turned football guy. Not sure why the fascination but we do do Oline well. Hate “develop” word in 1st
Fun fact every player ever drafted regardless of where had to develop and grow.

Hate the hate people have for that word develop.

At 29 you're getting a guy with warts and weaknesses as well as strengths and positives. You have to weigh those out and if the upside outweighs the negative then you take the guy.

history has shown we draft 1st Rd ol very very well, we pick up a much needed high 3rd round pick and get a guy who has tremendous traits and upside.

Hard to walk away feeling bad about day 1.