Drafted by Cowboys With the 29th pick. Dallas Cowboys take OT Tyler Guyton

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Consensus says LT is more important than LG. And drafting another tackle in round 1 really sets the depth back in other areas especially when you still need a center. In a perfect world, sure smith is a better guard but you sacrifice adding much needed younger talent at other positions. Center, WR, DT, DE could have had a much bigger impact the next 4 years by moving smith to LT, bass to LG than what they are doing.
You're not factoring in the (new) 73rd pick, which now allows us to draft up in the second (and still get a 4th Rd back in the trade up).
Quite conceivable that we obtain Frazier or even JPJ meaning we get both.
Strange that you were all in on Henry (presumably for a first), but not building a line into which aids a RB?
Lines first.....and unfortunately there were no 1-tech's to even consider certainly not first couple of days.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Perfect value for a huge OT. We needed beef in the trenches and thats what you get with Guyton. He has both power and speed and will be a long time starter for the Cowboys barring injury. And they also get an extra 3rd rounder? No reason to complain about Day 1.
Draft reactions form the experts hes an A grade even without the trade. the trade makes it A+

blueblood70

Reaction score
TG gets a B+
JJ/SJ get an A- for the pick and the third round deal.
Onwards and upwards to round 2.
Yes if you take out last year's oddball way they looked at the draft but you look at the last three of those 4 drafts first round picks Tyler Smith no one liked it turned out to be the fans were wrong Micah Parsons lot of people said wasn't worth where we picked him because he was an off the ball linebacker but we also made a trade and got an extra third round pick passing like it fans were wrong now we pick a guy after trading down and get a third round pick and actually Tguyton is getting an A grade even without the trade for most draft experts said this guy's upside is worth an A..

and to be honest i don't know a lot about him even though im a longhorn fan and know who he is but read what the draft experts said, most of them are giving him an A

i mean having 4 picks in the top 100 is very good. Missing that 4th rounder is longer an issue.

blueblood70

Reaction score
my only knock on this pic is can we stop drafting payers on the offensive line named Tyler or having the same initials or lasts names !! LOL :lmao:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There's going to be a lot of players who are "not plug and play" that get plugged and played next season anyway, I have a feeling. Will be interesting at least.
I was about ready to comment on that. O-line is one place I'll give 1st rounders breathing room. That is a tough place to trench.

EndGame

Reaction score
My biggest concern about the pick is that he played RT in college. We need a LT, and on ESPN last night they said he struggled when switched to LT. Hopefully our coaches can help him make the transition.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My biggest concern about the pick is that he played RT in college. We need a LT, and on ESPN last night they said he struggled when switched to LT. Hopefully our coaches can help him make the transition.
Well Smith didn't come without concerns, so we at least appear competent at developing the line.
Was Guyton playing RT as he couldn't 'handle' LT, or because Gabriel's left handed?

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Fun fact every player ever drafted regardless of where had to develop and grow.

Hate the hate people have for that word develop.

At 29 you're getting a guy with warts and weaknesses as well as strengths and positives. You have to weigh those out and if the upside outweighs the negative then you take the guy.

history has shown we draft 1st Rd ol very very well, we pick up a much needed high 3rd round pick and get a guy who has tremendous traits and upside.

Hard to walk away feeling bad about day 1.
My talk wasn’t negative. As I said we do well with Oline. We hit a 3rd. I just don’t like the word but I trust it more with Oline guys than Michigan Dline guys ..lol

dfense

Reaction score
Remember the negatives the scouts said about Tyler Smith? lol

• Overall play is raw and undisciplined.
  • Pass protection technique needs overhaul.
  • Fails to maintain a grounded, balanced base.
  • Hands swing way out wide and rarely catch rusher's frame.
  • Defaulted to holding penalties at an alarming rate.
  • Fails to finish his block at times.
  • Doesn't play with consistent body control as run blocker.
  • Allows defender to cross his face and penetrate the gap.

Gambit

Reaction score
Remember the negatives the scouts said about Tyler Smith? lol

• Overall play is raw and undisciplined.
  • Pass protection technique needs overhaul.
  • Fails to maintain a grounded, balanced base.
  • Hands swing way out wide and rarely catch rusher's frame.
  • Defaulted to holding penalties at an alarming rate.
  • Fails to finish his block at times.
  • Doesn't play with consistent body control as run blocker.
  • Allows defender to cross his face and penetrate the gap.
In TSmith defense he worked with Duke Manyweather. He should be on phone with Guyton and getting him set up for same work.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You win games by building in the trenches. OL and DL. No issue with getting an OL with rate traits and high upside at 29 plus a top 3rd round pick.

Just like Frederick and Tyler Smith, the same guys that hated those picks say they hate this pick.

McMicah

Reaction score
I think when you look at OL, there’s a spectrum of things you want, but all of them live on a spectrum of ‘coachability’ & ‘train ability’:

1. The things that can’t be coached are natural athleticism, nasty demeanor, playing to the whistle, body size. Tyler has all of this in spades

2. Things that are hard but possible to train or coach are play awareness/intelligence, strength, twitchy foot quickness, balance, trained athleticism, discipline. Again Tyler does these things very well

3. The most trainable traits are where Tyler is raw. Hand placement, punch, pad level, etc.

This is why you should have excitement about the pick. All of his deficiencies are trainable/coachable. If he has the will and work ethic to do it, he will succeed. I like him better then Mims because Mims has deficiencies he can’t overcome, such as poor foot speed

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My issue with waiting on C is that we need an upgrade over Biadasz— and adding a mid round guy or rolling with Hoffman feels more like treading water and breaking even.

Brooks at 56 feels telegraphed, and a LBer in round 3 is a given as well. That leaves the final day 2 pick— not sure what the C market will look like at that point— but JPJ and Frazier are both likely gone before 56
I think this is the year of treading water for us. Guyton is not going to replace Tyron and be better than him this year. We'll probably take a center with one of the third-rounders, but I'm not sure the ones available then are an upgrade to Biadasz. The only good news there is we've got a relatively young line (other than Martin) that can grow together over the next few years.