Drafted by Cowboys With the 29th pick. Dallas Cowboys take OT Tyler Guyton

visionary

Reaction score
Would have rather had us take Barton… but C is a deeper position than OT, so this will all come down to what they do with the next few picks.

With the track record on OL picks— I will give them the benefit of the doubt on Guyton.
Yeah, im thinking they will go RB in 2 and C in 3
If Brooks is gone in 2 they might even go C at 56 though id prefer Mason Smith, DTA at 56

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Fine with the pick, just hate that his only competition for LT will be Chuma.
One thing when they drafted Tyler Smith and still had Tyron to ease Tyler into the NFL, on paper, they will be throwing Guyton into the fire and hoping for the best.
Of course Tyler ended up playing year 1 at LT with some mixed games. I had the thought by year 3 he should have adjusted to the game and could bounce back to LT

Still wish they kicked out Tyler, now going into year 3, Bass/Richard at LG and then Barton at center, but so it goes
For a team that's not necessarily looking (or more accurately acknowledging that we arent going deep into the play-offs) in 2024, then let him 'bed-in' next to Tyler. By the sounds of it he'd struggle in year 1 at any rate, might as well be with an ALL-Pro inside. Didnt the scouting report on Barton also mention that there may well be a bedding in period?

Im with you, im happy enough on both picks, I suppose the no.73 pick was the clincher (especially as it if we package it we can move up to guarantee our man in the 2nd and still get back a 4th Rd....quantity and quality).

Gambit

Reaction score
Fine with the pick, just hate that his only competition for LT will be Chuma.
One thing when they drafted Tyler Smith and still had Tyron to ease Tyler into the NFL, on paper, they will be throwing Guyton into the fire and hoping for the best.
Of course Tyler ended up playing year 1 at LT with some mixed games. I had the thought by year 3 he should have adjusted to the game and could bounce back to LT

Still wish they kicked out Tyler, now going into year 3, Bass/Richard at LG and then Barton at center, but so it goes
Duke Manyweather whom you may or may not be familiar with, but is highly regarded as the premier OL training guru whose company works with and trains many top OL in league, who trained Tyler Smith when he first came into league has said moving Tyler is a mistake.

I tend to trust that opinion over other fans, no offense meant.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The positives are they need bodies so picking up the extra pick is helpful plus they drafted for a position of need. A big big need.

The negatives are Guyton has bust risk. More than average bust risk.

I wish they would draft players that can be counted on right away.

John813

Reaction score
For a team that's not necessarily looking (or more accurately acknowledging that we arent going deep into the play-offs) in 2024, then let him 'bed-in' next to Tyler. By the sounds of it he'd struggle in year 1 at any rate, might as well be with an ALL-Pro inside. Didnt the scouting report on Barton also mention that there may well be a bedding in period?

Im with you, im happy enough on both picks, I suppose the no.73 pick was the clincher (especially as it if we package it we can move up to guarantee our man in the 2nd and still get back a 4th Rd....quantity and quality).

Yea, I get getting Guyton go through the lumps next to someone who will be by his side for a long time. Let them build OL chemistry so to speak.

I'm sure with Barton there would be an adjustment, but to me it seems like it can be better "hidden" inside, and the physical ability can make up for any growing pains when enclosed between two teammates.

Hardline

Reaction score
Guyton drops an F bomb in his first radio interview as a Cowboy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Smith is good at tackle but could be great at guard. They’re leaving him there and most football people seem to believe that is his best position.
Consensus says LT is more important than LG. And drafting another tackle in round 1 really sets the depth back in other areas especially when you still need a center. In a perfect world, sure smith is a better guard but you sacrifice adding much needed younger talent at other positions. Center, WR, DT, DE could have had a much bigger impact the next 4 years by moving smith to LT, bass to LG than what they are doing.

RFABR

Reaction score
With the current state of our roster/QB/coaching staff/salary cap situation, I'm not mad with a high ceiling developmental 1st pick.

cowboybish

Reaction score
I like the pick ok. He’s certainly a great athlete with huge upside. Just a little concerned about him only starting 14 games at OU at T. Would have preferred a plug and play guy but when Barton was gone not much choice.

Btw, I did like the Cowboys trade down 5 slots and picking up a third rounder. Good move.
Mims only had like 7 or 8 games that he started.

cowboybish

Reaction score
The 3rd was the key, let’s hope they don’t trade that away to move up for Brooks
No but I think with the extra 3rd, they could move up to take a C in the 2nd round. If they can pull of a C and then pick up a good RB like Blake Corum this would be an excellent draft so far.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I trust Dallas drafting offensive linemen in the 1st round, they have a proven track record. Congratulations young man on becoming a Dallas Cowboy!

Go be great!:starspin:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
No but I think with the extra 3rd, they could move up to take a C in the 2nd round. If they can pull of a C and then pick up a good RB like Blake Corum this would be an excellent draft so far.
All reports prior to the draft was that they were even considering taking Brooks in a trad back, believe that is their top target day 2. I am in agreement with you, but I do not see it in the cards.

chicago JK

Reaction score
What an interesting prospect. One year of high school football. 3 star recruit as a defensive lineman. Takes one recruiting visit to TCU and stays for a few years with not a lot of impact. Transfers to OU. Backs up two NFL draft picks (1st and a third). Last year, he gets most of his starts and has some really good moments and some moments that show his inexperience.

He looks like the prototype LT in his build. Looks like a dancing bear. With guys with his size and athleticism, you typically see them drafted in the top 10. That is the rub though. He was considered by most as a late first round pick.

I was a little concerned that for a kid that size he was only a 3 star recruit and then the minimal starts. After reading more, it makes some sense that he started football so late as a sr in High school and then last year backed up two NFL tackles. So that takes away some of my concern. I till think there is a lot of risk with the pick. Will be interesting to see how he looks when the real bullets start flying.

Brooksey

Reaction score
CONS
  • Will probably need some time to develop.
  • Not a plug and play guy
He'll need one-two weeks of practice to move from right to left tackle. He'll get more than that in pre-season.
The difference between the two positions is athleticism and pass protection. He's elite at both.