Drafted by Cowboys With the 29th pick. Dallas Cowboys take OT Tyler Guyton

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yep, not comfy with Hoffman at C....think he earned the job through default...he is not even at Biadacz level.... need to upgrade here. Hoping they get one in the high 3rd pick they have. Brooks in the 2nd.
I do think a player like him can grow and I think we saw that a little last year. He went from being a player not worthy of a roster spot to an adequate-looking backup center. Still, I am not comfortable just counting on him to be the center. I'd rather upgrade the spot and keep him as the backup, or at worst at least add some competition.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Safe pick and needed. Now they absolutely need a RB at the next pick.

gimmesix

Reaction score
My biggest concern about the pick is that he played RT in college. We need a LT, and on ESPN last night they said he struggled when switched to LT. Hopefully our coaches can help him make the transition.
In his defense, it wasn't like he spent a whole offseason learning to play LT, which hopefully they'll have him doing from the moment he arrives in Dallas. Some players do struggle switching sides, though, because they have to do everything the opposite way. I wonder if his time as a tight end will help since tight ends don't just line up on one side of the line all the time.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah, im thinking they will go RB in 2 and C in 3
If Brooks is gone in 2 they might even go C at 56 though id prefer Mason Smith, DTA at 56
Depends for me if Frazier or JPJ is there. I go back-to-back OL if one of them is and then RB in the early third.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He'll need one-two weeks of practice to move from right to left tackle. He'll get more than that in pre-season.
The difference between the two positions is athleticism and pass protection. He's elite at both.
The difference in the two is footwork. It's like being right-handed and then suddenly trying to learn to be left-handed. Thankfully, he spent some time at tight end, a position that lines up on both sides of the line. That may help the transition.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Fine with the pick, just hate that his only competition for LT will be Chuma.
One thing when they drafted Tyler Smith and still had Tyron to ease Tyler into the NFL, on paper, they will be throwing Guyton into the fire and hoping for the best.
Of course Tyler ended up playing year 1 at LT with some mixed games. I had the thought by year 3 he should have adjusted to the game and could bounce back to LT

Still wish they kicked out Tyler, now going into year 3, Bass/Richard at LG and then Barton at center, but so it goes
I don't think his competition is Edoga. I think it's Tyler and possibly Richards. If Guyton struggles in his adjustment, then Richards may be given first shot at stepping in with Tyler as the fallback (and Bass stepping in at guard). It isn't sink or swim with Guyton, although obviously we hope that he starts swimming immediately. Now, we just need to do similarly at center and at least make it a competition to replace Biadasz.

conner01

Reaction score
I cant be the only one that wishes we could ease him in on the right side to get his career off to a smoother start and build his confidence. Then shift over.
I think ideally that would be the best move though what do you do with Steele? LT or bench

conner01

Reaction score
Blah…brings back memories of the Mazi Smith pick last year.
Mazi was over drafted because he’s a freak athlete they thought they could turn into Aaron Donald. This kid was picked about where most though he should be and is a good prospect at the position he will actually play

conner01

Reaction score
I don't think his competition is Edoga. I think it's Tyler and possibly Richards. If Guyton struggles in his adjustment, then Richards may be given first shot at stepping in with Tyler as the fallback (and Bass stepping in at guard). It isn't sink or swim with Guyton, although obviously we hope that he starts swimming immediately. Now, we just need to do similarly at center and at least make it a competition to replace Biadasz.
I hope they don’t throw him in at LT day one. I don’t think he’s ready. Sink or swim is a terrible way to develop a player

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The difference in the two is footwork. It's like being right-handed and then suddenly trying to learn to be left-handed. Thankfully, he spent some time at tight end, a position that lines up on both sides of the line. That may help the transition.
Plus he simply hasn't played that much football, so it's not like he has many years and thousands of reps to overcome at RT.

As long as he works hard at it, I think he'll be fine. The biggest thing is, he has the ability.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I hope they don’t throw him in at LT day one. I don’t think he’s ready. Sink or swim is a terrible way to develop a player
I think he'll be given every opportunity to be the starting LT this year, but the fact that we know Tyler can play it and Richards looked good there when given chances means we have some options. If Guyton needs too much technique work as a rookie to be trusted with the spot, I'm hoping Richards gets first crack at stepping in so we don't have to move Tyler. I was actually comfortable not drafting LT early because of Richards and Tyler. Although I wanted one of the centers, my pick would have actually been the DT Newton after the trade down.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Plus he simply hasn't played that much football, so it's not like he has many years and thousands of reps to overcome at RT.

As long as he works hard at it, I think he'll be fine. The biggest thing is, he has the ability.
Right. Some are saying he has a high bust factor, but I don't think that's accurate. I think he has a high development factor. He just hasn't played much and needs a lot of refinement. The biggest question is whether he's a good learner and hard worker. If not, then yeah, there's a good chance he busts.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Strange argument, that's coming across as subjectivity against the organization, rather than the specifics of the pick. Youve also back tracked on your initial 1st RD comment...
Seriously did you read the following sentence? Are you interessted in a conversation ? Therefore you need to try to understand what arguments the otherone writes down.

To me you sound more like someone who is desperatley trying to find some mistakes by me and not really trying to understand what i write.

But Tyler Smith, played as an ALL-PRO, outstanding, GUARD. Guyton isnt beating out Smith, there's room (and possibly need for both).

It was the most frequently predicted Mock Pick, ive never heard anyone arguing against drafting the lines.

Out of interest who would you of drafted?
Again you did not understand what i wrote.

All Pro Guard is a great pick. But first of all you wanted an LT. Second all pro guards are not needed to be successfull in the NFL. Thirs you can find great guards in the 2nd and thrid round.

And i dont argue against drafting lines. LT in the first round is a good thing. RT also.You draft Centers and guards in the 2nd or maybe third. And to be honest, i dont care what mocks say. Most of them are for entertainement and not for education.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Could have probably taken him at 24 but get a high third round pick to trade down and get him.
Why?????????? The Boys could have used a nice fat center with the pick or better yet, JJ should have traded out of the spot and could have probably nailed a high 2 and 3 and possibly a 4 with a trade.