Witness claims Ezekiel Elliott was not involved in altercation **merged**

tyke1doe

Reaction score
:espn:... organizations like this have absolutely no problem dragging an athletes name through the mud as long as it means making a buck but ignore bad business decisions in lieu of "social justice". It makes no sense. Stop killing your own business!

How is it that some athletes never get their names dragged through the mud? I'm being serious in asking this question.

CWR

Reaction score
I love Zeke's talent. And was in favor of drafting him at 4 last year. But all of this does make you wonder if Ramsey last year + RB in round 2/3 this year would have been the better long term strategy. It would not have gotten us 13-3 last year, but might have set us up better long term if we are going to be facing serial suspensions with Zeke.

I think Jordan Howard would have gotten us there. I really think/hope Zeke puts all this behind him and just plays football. Im still happy we have him but I want to see him on the field not the sidelines.

goshan

Reaction score
Some of you guys are harsh and a bit unrealistic. I was a nice kid, did well in school, graduated college, immediately got a good job, had good parents, and now have a nice wife and kids.

But in my 20s and early 30s, I did some Zeke-like things:

Gone 100 miles an hour - CHECK
Got a DUI - CHECK
Involved in a few bar fights - CHECK
Liked going to clubs - CHECK
Liked and did pick up women in said clubs - CHECK
Did some experimentation - CHECK
Wore a man purse - OK. NEVER DID THAT.

Now I am a dad with a nice wife, two kids, a good paying job and fairly darn responsible.

The difference for Zeke is the social media and ridiculous amount of attention he is getting. His behaviors aren't really out of the norm. He has shown no indication that his activities impact his daily life or performance on the field. He doesn't seem to be Johnny.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This is what I'm banking on. Luckily for Zeke this happened locally. Even if there is surveillance or an employee of the club witnessed something not in Zeke's favor I think they would do everything that could to protect him.

Yep. That's another aspect to this situation. Many are ripping the media for jumping the gun. But several witnesses said Zeke was involved. Only one witness has said he wasn't involved. Maybe these are Cowboys fans and understand the implications of Zeke throwing a punch in a bar fight.

CWR

Reaction score
How is it that some athletes never get their names dragged through the mud? I'm being serious in asking this question.

They are aware of thier surroundings and have a level of maturity that helps them to de-escalate the situation or walk away.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Some of you guys are harsh and a bit unrealistic. I was a nice kid, did well in school, graduated college, immediately got a good job, had good parents, and now have a nice wife and kids.

Got a DUI - CHECK

Now I am a dad with a nice wife, two kids, a good paying job and fairly darn responsible.

The difference for Zeke is the social media and ridiculous amount of attention he is getting. His behaviors aren't really out of the norm. He has shown no indication that his activities impact his daily life or performance on the field. He doesn't seem to be Johnny.

So if you didn't do anything like that you're being unrealistic? I did known of those things. And that's what you're dealing with here. You have a number of posters who have had a variety of experiences. It appears normal to you that a 20 year old would do all those things. It appears normal to me that a 20 year old would abstain from those things. We ALL judge based on our experiences.

But I don't think that's the issue. Really, our only concern regarding this situation is purely selfish. We are Cowboys fans. We want to see Zeke on the field. PERIOD. We don't care if LeVon Bell gets suspended. We don't care if any other player not a Cowboy gets suspended. We care if Zeke does because he plays for our favorite team.

And that is what is driving what you consider "harsh" criticism. So, truth be told, for most of us, this really isn't about morality as much as it is about Zeke being available to play for our favorite team because it gives us the best chance to win.

And THAT is the unadulterated truth. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
They are aware of thier surroundings and have a level of maturity that helps them to de-escalate the situation or walk away.

Exactly. So it's not ESPN's fault in as much as it is the player's fault.
If a player takes care of his responsibility, he doesn't have to worry about negative publicity on ESPN. Interesting how we always hear bad stuff about certain players yet you never hear it about Jason Witten.

Sydla

Reaction score

Got a DUI - CHECK

One, I suspect getting into bar fights and getting a DUI and other things in your 20s isn't normal behavior.

Two, getting into tough situations off the field absolutely can impact his performance on the field. With the NFL already watching him closely, he could be suspended if he gets into a bar fight. Or he could get injured. Break a hand, get punch in the eye, etc.

It's time to stop making excuses for the kid. Again, there are hundreds of NFL players who go out and yet don't seem to find themselves in sticky situations from time to time.

erod

Reaction score
It is not good business for a club to have celebrity athletes in the news in their establishment.

Plankton

Reaction score
I love Zeke's talent. And was in favor of drafting him at 4 last year. But all of this does make you wonder if Ramsey last year + RB in round 2/3 this year would have been the better long term strategy. It would not have gotten us 13-3 last year, but might have set us up better long term if we are going to be facing serial suspensions with Zeke.

Keep in mind that Jalen Ramsey had his second surgery since turning pro this spring, and had a microfracture procedure on his knee when in high school. Nothing is a sure thing in terms of viewing it long term.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I hope this guy is telling the truth but there are things that worry me still. Why hasn't Zeke or his agent denied he threw the punch? Their response yesterday was nothing but legalese leaving the door open that he did throw the punch. If he didn't, why haven't they flatly denied it? Why did they leave so quickly? Maybe they figured it was best to go or they were with the guy that did it and decided they all needed to go but I know anytime I've been around situations like that, most people stick around to observe the scene with hopes that something else will happen. I would feel much better if one more witness would claim he saw the same thing and if Zeke would say he didn't do it.

goshan

Reaction score
I hope this guy is telling the truth but there are things that worry me still. Why hasn't Zeke or his agent denied he threw the punch? Their response yesterday was nothing but legalese leaving the door open that he did throw the punch. If he didn't, why haven't they flatly denied it? Why did they leave so quickly? Maybe they figured it was best to go or they were with the guy that did it and decided they all needed to go but I know anytime I've been around situations like that, most people stick around to observe the scene with hopes that something else will happen. I would feel much better if one more witness would claim he saw the same thing and if Zeke would say he didn't do it.

Yeah, I suspect he threw the punch, and this guy is trying to help him out.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I've said it many times in the other thread. I don't care if Elliott is cocky. I don't care if Elliott thinks he's the cat's meow. I don't care if Elliott is a ****** off the field. I don't care if he wants to go to a bar or restaurant or club some nights. I don't care if he wants to stay out to 4AM and party in his off time.

I do care when he ends up at a club or bar and is in a situation where something happened like what happened a couple of nights ago. Because the possibilities of negative outcomes is huge. Maybe his buddy misses the DJ and the DJ cracks Elliott in the face and breaks an eye socket. Or maybe Elliott loses his cool and a brawl starts up.

I am sure guys like Tyron Smith and Zach Martin and Byron Jones like to go out with friends and party a little. And yet you never hear stories about how a fight broke out around them or how they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because I suspect they are always aware of what's going on around them and to not end up in a situation where Elliott sometimes finds himself. We need to stop acting like this is just bad luck for Elliott. It's his choices that put him in these situations, even if he didn't throw a punch here.
In all fairness, if Tyron punched someone, we would be hearing how he murdered someone, can you imagine taking a punch from that animal and living? Thats like going toe to toe with Bigfoot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Unfortunately, fox sports, associated press and other once respected outlets are guilty as well

Once a major news outlet operates unethically and reaps the rewards of increased viewership and sponsorship the other ones have chosen to play the same game. It's just a reflection of society.

Everyone who isn't living under a rock knows that journalism is dead.
I hear you saying. "reaps the awards" but have they really? Their M.O. has made them a niche market not truly reaping the awards from the entire sports watching world. Far better would be to stop alienating at least half the market by being so hell bent committed to this "social justice" cause. But hey, I'm just one man and this is just one man's opinion. Journalism isn't dead but has been dismissed by the major news outlets... including ESPN, Fox sports, AP...etcetera, etcetera...

goshan

Reaction score
It is not good business for a club to have celebrity athletes in the news in their establishment.

Disagree. The publicity is good for the club - the fact that NFL players go there will create more buzz and a feeling of exclusivity.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that there's someone that is saying Zeke never threw the punch. But this doesn't mean he didn't....just like the ones claiming he threw the punch doesn't mean he did do it.

There will be an investigation by the police. I'm sure we haven't heard the end of this.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I don't think it matters. Roger has that letter ready and it is hard to argue that Zeke isn't putting the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys, and himself in a negative position. Stay home Zeke, enough is enough.