Working Out...Time Of Day/Motivation

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't count calories, I just eat healthy until I feel full and it seems to work out. However, I am not a big person. Right now I'm weighing in at a whopping 170 lbs.

If I ate until I got full on anything I would weigh 400 lbs. I have to discipline myself when it comes to food or i'll blow up.

Stryker44

Reaction score
In terms of lifting on a 5 x 5 strength program...do you stay at the same weight until you can do all 5 sets then add the 5 lbs once you're able to do this? How much rest do you take between sets?

TheCowboy

Reaction score
In terms of lifting on a 5 x 5 strength program...do you stay at the same weight until you can do all 5 sets then add the 5 lbs once you're able to do this? How much rest do you take between sets?

I don't time my rests, I just do it when I feel ready. If you can only do 3 reps at a weight, put it down. Then try to pump out the 2 last reps within the next 30 seconds. Gets you a good pump.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I don't time my rests, I just do it when I feel ready. If you can only do 3 reps at a weight, put it down. Then try to pump out the 2 last reps within the next 30 seconds. Gets you a good pump.

Is 300/100(push ups/crunches) really that out of date (elevated push ups)? Asking honestly (am strong but have no cardio tbh), Yaw are making me feel like a slob, much respect that yaw can keep that up tbh:D I guess what I'm really asking is, is cardio always needed? Not ideally kind've thing, just to keep yourself from a heart attack ,etc.

Last edited:

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Is 300/100(push ups/crunches) really that out of date (elevated push ups)? Asking honestly (am strong but have no cardio tbh), Yaw are making me feel like a slob, much respect that yaw can keep that up tbh:D I guess what I'm really asking is, is cardio always needed? Not ideally kind've thing, just to keep yourself from a heart attack ,etc.

Yes, I think cardiovascular health is important. However, not everybody is big on cardio. Some people do little amounts of cardio because they think it will eat up muscle, but if you eat enough I'm not sure that is the case. I don't do cardio in the gym though because I hate treadmills and stationary cardio machines. I like to go outside and ride my bike or play pick up sports.

As far as pushups go, those are more of a conditioning test. You can put on muscle faster lifting heavier weights.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yes, I think cardiovascular health is important. However, not everybody is big on cardio. Some people do little amounts of cardio because they think it will eat up muscle, but if you eat enough I'm not sure that is the case. I don't do cardio in the gym though because I hate treadmills and stationary cardio machines. I like to go outside and ride my bike or play pick up sports.

I hear ya Rasta, and feel almost guilty not engaging in it (cardio). Last pick up game I played in, I wanted to puke...but am sure I looked pretty in my sleeveless T:D

RastaRocket

Reaction score
I hear ya Rasta, and feel almost guilty not engaging in it (cardio). Last pick up game I played in, I wanted to puke...but am sure I looked pretty in my sleepless T:D

Haha I've definitely been there, but usually you will get conditioned fairly quick once you get back into it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Haha I've definitely been there, but usually you will get conditioned fairly quick once you get back into it.

It is pretty embarrassing, "but I have all these muscles:rolleyes:" Guys on the court felt me though, told me to keep it up (got a wet post game; esp with no refs;)) Around the world for money was our first outlet @ recess, 21/33 always started fights;).

Last edited:

TheCowboy

Reaction score

Cardio is something people don't understand. What is more effective, 5 minutes of cardio acceleration (ex: bench step-ups, running in place, jump rope, ect.) or 20 minutes on the treadmill walking or 20 minutes on the elliptical? It's the 5 minute acceleration.

There's a guy at my gym who does the elliptical for literally 100 minutes every workout on the hardest difficulty setting. He's no muscular guy either, just some random Joe. What I learned from some bodybuilders was that the body stops burning calories at a specific point in the constant cardio workout. Which means 20 minutes of this guy's workout is effective, while the rest is a waste of time. The peak window is different from everyone but after reaching a peak, the rest of the cardio is not nearly as effective.

Running on a treadmill is what I do. I will also do the elliptical and put it on a fairly low setting and just burn it out, rather than pushing my arse off. Don't ever do the bike in the gym.

I can discuss this all day. I love this stuff.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Cardio is something people don't understand. What is more effective, 5 minutes of cardio acceleration (ex: bench step-ups, running in place, jump rope, ect.) or 20 minutes on the treadmill walking or 20 minutes on the elliptical? It's the 5 minute acceleration.

There's a guy at my gym who does the elliptical for literally 100 minutes every workout on the hardest difficulty setting. He's no muscular guy either, just some random Joe. What I learned from some bodybuilders was that the body stops burning calories at a specific point in the constant cardio workout. Which means 20 minutes of this guy's workout is effective, while the rest is a waste of time. The peak window is different from everyone but after reaching a peak, the rest of the cardio is not nearly as effective.

Running on a treadmill is what I do. I will also do the elliptical and put it on a fairly low setting and just burn it out, rather than pushing my arse off. Don't ever do the bike in the gym.

Appreciate the insight tbh. Thanks, it is one of those things I have to improve on, I feel lazy all the time (not the erb, I smoked all through HS) I know it is something to work on but haven't found the right outlet yet. Use to have a tackle football game on Sundays but that is over unfortunately. I played BBall freshman year but was told to give it up=only to not play in College! (some know that game;)) Loved the sport though.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Appreciate the insight tbh. Thanks, it is one of those things I have to improve on, I feel lazy all the time (not the erb, I smoked all through HS) I know it is something to work on but haven't found the right outlet yet.

Watch some videos of famous bodybuilders like Jay Cutler, Kai Greene, Branch Warren. It's very interesting stuff.

Kai was saying that bodybuilders aren't weight lifters. Bodybuilders wont be the guys who are trying to max out their bench, squats and all of their lifts. They like to go lower weight, high reps for muscle synthesis (or whatever the word is). Here's the link:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Watch some videos of famous bodybuilders like Jay Cutler, Kai Greene, Branch Warren. It's very interesting stuff.

Kai was saying that bodybuilders aren't weight lifters. Bodybuilders wont be the guys who are trying to max out their bench, squats and all of their lifts. They like to go lower weight, high reps for muscle synthesis (or whatever the word is). Here's the link:

I hear that game (reps) There was a con that defied the guards by learning how to lift with everyday things through rep (weights were banned for a minute);) Resistance training, etc.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I hear that game (reps) There was a con that defied the guards by learning how to lift with everyday things through rep (weights were banned for a minute);) Resistance training, etc.

Oh yeah I saw that too. That was awesome! Good stuff!

RastaRocket

Reaction score

I don't think any form of cardio is bad. Some people aren't into strength training and prefer to train for endurance events. It's all preference, but I think everybody should do cardio for optimum health. I'm not sure I buy into "the body stops burning calories", everybody is burning calories all day long even if you don't workout.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I don't think any form of cardio is bad. Some people aren't into strength training and prefer to train for endurance events. It's all preference, but I think everybody should do cardio for optimum health. I'm not sure I buy into "the body stops burning calories", everybody is burning calories all day long even if you don't workout.

Oh yeah I totally agree that everyone should do cardio, but you should switch it up and not stay on the same equipment forever. Cardio acceleration is key.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Oh yeah I totally agree that everyone should do cardio, but you should switch it up and not stay on the same equipment forever. Cardio acceleration is key.

I agree, I was never great at cardio endurance. I played hockey throughout high school which is basically shifts of 45 second sprints. Now that I have a bike I do more endurance, but I still try to do intervals of sprints. Right now my cardio isn't optimal, I have mostly been lifting lately but I'm looking to get back into better cardio shape. In December I was 180-185 and in terrible shape/conditioning, now I am at 170 with much better strength and conditioning. I got lazy for about two years.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I agree, I was never great at cardio endurance. I played hockey throughout high school which is basically shifts of 45 second sprints. Now that I have a bike I do more endurance, but I still try to do intervals of sprints. Right now my cardio isn't optimal, I have mostly been lifting lately but I'm looking to get back into better cardio shape. In December I was 180-185 and in terrible shape/conditioning, now I am at 170 with much better strength and conditioning. I got lazy for about two years.

Get into bodybuilding man, and I don't mean try to get huge. It's a lifestyle and you get to eat a lot lol. I never expected to get into it when I was fat but once I did I am now in the best shape of my life. I tell people my transformation was the easiest thing ive ever done and I really mean that. It is harder to gain muscle than lose fat.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There is no way I could work out with any kind of consistency with cardio as my main way of exercising.

Lifting weights is where it's at.

Running or jumping around in front of a TV doing p90x or something like that would just be awful.

RastaRocket

Reaction score
Get into bodybuilding man, and I don't mean try to get huge. It's a lifestyle and you get to eat a lot lol. I never expected to get into it when I was fat but once I did I am now in the best shape of my life. I tell people my transformation was the easiest thing ive ever done and I really mean that. It is harder to gain muscle than lose fat.

I have semi got into bodybuilding as I do a lot of bodybuilding exercises. One of my friends and later my roommate in college were big into bodybuilding and I learned by going to the gym with them and reading online. I lifted a lot my sophomore year and the following summer but then lost motivation. Right now I cook my own meals for the week (brown rice, chicken, veggies) usually but I'm not on a complete bodybuilding diet. I still need to eat more throughout the day (6 meals) but overall I eat healthy. I've been lifting about 5 days a week since December. Also, like I said I will go on bike rides for or go play soccer or something at the park for cardio. I'm looking to start playing hockey again when I can afford some new gear.

Right now in the gym I go...

Back/Biceps
Chest/Triceps
Shoulders
Legs

Then I thrown in abs on days where I feel like I have energy left in the tank. Usually always when I do shoulders.