Working Out...Time Of Day/Motivation

TheCowboy

Reaction score
I have semi got into bodybuilding as I do a lot of bodybuilding exercises. One of my friends and later my roommate in college were big into bodybuilding and I learned by going to the gym with them and reading online. I lifted a lot my sophomore year and the following summer but then lost motivation. Right now I cook my own meals for the week (brown rice, chicken, veggies) usually but I'm not on a complete bodybuilding diet. I still need to eat more throughout the day (6 meals) but overall I eat healthy. I've been lifting about 5 days a week since December. Also, like I said I will go on bike rides for or go play soccer or something at the park for cardio. I'm looking to start playing hockey again when I can afford some new gear.

Right now in the gym I go...

Back/Biceps
Chest/Triceps
Shoulders
Legs

Then I thrown in abs on days where I feel like I have energy left in the tank. Usually always when I do shoulders.

Is there anyone who has a body type similar to what you want? For me, it's Dwayne Johnson (The Rock). Awesome body, even if he was juiced up.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
In terms of lifting on a 5 x 5 strength program...do you stay at the same weight until you can do all 5 sets then add the 5 lbs once you're able to do this? How much rest do you take between sets?

Try doing 5x5, but incrementing 20 lbs after each set.

I do:
210x5
230x5
250x5
270x5
290x3

When I can crank out the final 2 at 290 I'll increase all sets by 5 lbs. I rest a good bit between sets. I'm more focused on strength for this workout. I will mix it up once and a while and do lower weights, higher reps. With that I don't rest more than 30 seconds.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Is there anyone who has a body type similar to what you want? For me, it's Dwayne Johnson (The Rock). Awesome body, even if he was juiced up.

Any fighter around 180... I've always felt fighters maximize their size better than anybod with explosiveness, strength, and endurance.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Right now my upper back and lats are crazy sore from barbell rows I did yesterday. Guess that's a good thing.

The past few weeks I've been lifting Sun, Tues, and Thurs. Pullups/Chinups and Squats on each of those days. On alternate lifting days I either do Deadlifts and Overhead Presses or Bench Press and Barbell Rows. I'm going to continue with this until I plateau. Always warmup and cooldown on the elliptical. I go on these days because it seems like the gym is MUCH less crowded for some reason...particularly on a Sunday afternoon. I hate having to wait to use equipment...just want to go in, get what I need done, and go home. Some dudes at my gym talk alot and look at themselves in the mirror between sets...I don't get it.

On Mon, Wed, Fri I walk 0.5 mile on treadmill, then run 2.2 miles at a fast pace, then warm down 0.5 miles walking. I plan to increase the run 0.2 miles each week until I can run 5 miles at the pace I'm running now.

I used to combine lifting and cardio days...but found that I began to dread working out on those days and motivating myself to go to the gym was much harder than now where I go in with a specific target of either lifting or cardio. Its extra trips to the gym, but at least I'm there for only 45 minutes each time...versus 75-90 minutes.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Some dudes at my gym talk alot and look at themselves in the mirror between sets...I don't get it.

This is the absolute WORST. I can't stand that crap. There are guys that work out together and talk, but still bust out their sets and move on. But there are some guys just hanging out that drive me insane. There was a guy on one of the machines the other day, just sitting there, talking to his buddy about his favorite TV shows.

Like you, I also find that I'm more effective with 45 minute, targeted workouts than trying to be there for an hour and a half. It's easier to get up and do this stuff with shorter workouts too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, I think cardiovascular health is important. However, not everybody is big on cardio. Some people do little amounts of cardio because they think it will eat up muscle, but if you eat enough I'm not sure that is the case. I don't do cardio in the gym though because I hate treadmills and stationary cardio machines. I like to go outside and ride my bike or play pick up sports.

As far as pushups go, those are more of a conditioning test. You can put on muscle faster lifting heavier weights.

Cardio is much better for your overall and long term health. People just want to get big to impress. You need weight lifting as part of your regular exercise regime, but only 2 times a week. The other 4 times should be spent on cardio. If you're really interested in getting healthy and living a long time.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
There is no way I could work out with any kind of consistency with cardio as my main way of exercising.

Lifting weights is where it's at.

Running or jumping around in front of a TV doing p90x or something like that would just be awful.

A significant amount of P90x is bodyweight, pull-ups, pushups and dumbbell exercises actually. It gets a lot of flack, but it's a great entry point for people too self conscious to go to the gym, especially young people.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
You want some motivation?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SEAL-Of-Honor/182249954768

10245488_10152333863649769_1322053145_n.jpg

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
A significant amount of P90x is bodyweight, pull-ups, pushups and dumbbell exercises actually. It gets a lot of flack, but it's a great entry point for people too self conscious to go to the gym, especially young people.

P90x has caught flack? Seems like a really solid premise.

The amazing thing was that people bought into that. It wasn't some groundbreaking idea. If you work out for 90 days and eat healthier/less of course you're going to see some kind of results.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Right now my upper back and lats are crazy sore from barbell rows I did yesterday. Guess that's a good thing.

The past few weeks I've been lifting Sun, Tues, and Thurs. Pullups/Chinups and Squats on each of those days. On alternate lifting days I either do Deadlifts and Overhead Presses or Bench Press and Barbell Rows. I'm going to continue with this until I plateau. Always warmup and cooldown on the elliptical. I go on these days because it seems like the gym is MUCH less crowded for some reason...particularly on a Sunday afternoon. I hate having to wait to use equipment...just want to go in, get what I need done, and go home. Some dudes at my gym talk alot and look at themselves in the mirror between sets...I don't get it.

On Mon, Wed, Fri I walk 0.5 mile on treadmill, then run 2.2 miles at a fast pace, then warm down 0.5 miles walking. I plan to increase the run 0.2 miles each week until I can run 5 miles at the pace I'm running now.

I used to combine lifting and cardio days...but found that I began to dread working out on those days and motivating myself to go to the gym was much harder than now where I go in with a specific target of either lifting or cardio. Its extra trips to the gym, but at least I'm there for only 45 minutes each time...versus 75-90 minutes.

Yeah but do you even Shake-Weight, brah?

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score

Elliot Hulse. I watch a lot of "StrengthCamp" on YouTube. He's not super ripped or anything but he just looks really stout and more like an athlete than a model.

I'll probably never be his size because I'm naturally a skinnier guy, but it's what I'm aiming for.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Elliot Hulse. I watch a lot of "StrengthCamp" on YouTube. He's not super ripped or anything but he just looks really stout and more like an athlete than a model.

I'll probably never be his size because I'm naturally a skinnier guy, but it's what I'm aiming for.

Great body. That guy is BIG.

My problem is that I feel fat even when I'm cutting. I eat 2200 calories roughly at 6'0" 218 lbs. I've never been on a true bulk and ate 3000+ calories before.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Cardio is much better for your overall and long term health. People just want to get big to impress. You need weight lifting as part of your regular exercise regime, but only 2 times a week. The other 4 times should be spent on cardio. If you're really interested in getting healthy and living a long time.

Do you even lift bro?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Lift weights and a quicker pace that elevates your heart rate then.

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Crossfit... ugh. In my opinion if you are trying to gain size Crossfit is the worst thing you could do.

Monday: Chest/Abs
Tues: Back/Calves
Wed: Shoulders/Abs
Thurs: Arms/Calves
Friday Legs/ Abs
Saturday: Rest.
Sunday: Start the cycle over again.

I work/college(Human Bio/Chem degree)/have a son yet I still have time to workout normally around 1030 P.M daily.

Invest in a preworkout if you are having trouble being unmotivated or feeling tired.

Arnold once said, everytime you are sitting on the couch just remember someone else out there is winning, getting smarter, or getting stronger.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Yeah hes a small guy. I'm not a big fan of crossfit.

haha, I don't think you get how funny that video is...

People fired over him, he destroyed the walls, etc... Look up "crossfitter ruins commercial gym" for commentary that I can't post here.