World Series: Texas Rangers vs St. Louis Cardinals

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Ren;4201042 said:
Hard not to draw parallels to the Mavs championship, lose game one, improbable comeback game 2, lose game 3, win game 4 behind an incredible single player performance and turn the series on it's head in game 5

Well it's a little different, you don't really have "momentum" in baseball the way you do in basketball, and home field advantage matters less. There's been an incredible performance by different guys in different games - Pujols, Holland, Napoli.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
baj1dallas;4201086 said:
Well it's a little different, you don't really have "momentum" in baseball the way you do in basketball, and home field advantage matters less. There's been an incredible performance by different guys in different games - Pujols, Holland, Napoli.

Actually you do... but momentum can be quashed in a single at bat...

Texas has momentum now... a good 5 innings or so can fulfill the dream...

I hope it happens...

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
trickblue;4201114 said:
Actually you do... but momentum can be quashed in a single at bat...

Texas has momentum now... a good 5 innings or so can fulfill the dream...

I hope it happens...

If they do, this is the first championship from a team that I could really enjoy. I was too young to really enjoy the Cowboys'.

Ren

Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4201143 said:
If they do, this is the first championship from a team that I could really enjoy. I was too young to really enjoy the Cowboys'.

Would be the 2nd one this year for me, DFW sports fans are kinda spoiled right now :D

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
What a big win! Man was that exciting. And Napoli...wow. That was some clutch play down the stretch.

If that guy can put together another big game and the Rangers win this I think he's got to be the World Series MVP, don't ya'll? He came up huge in games 4 and 5.

This has been so exciting and they're right where I wanted them to be when I was telling friends and family that it would take 6 to get it done. I think they can go close this out now. I really do.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
BraveHeartFan;4201295 said:
What a big win! Man was that exciting. And Napoli...wow. That was some clutch play down the stretch.

If that guy can put together another big game and the Rangers win this I think he's got to be the World Series MVP, don't ya'll? He came up huge in games 4 and 5.

If not him I have no idea who else it could be? Nobody has been nearly consistent enough. The only other close one that I can think of would be Beltre.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4201067 said:
Been watching this team for almost 40 years... I deserve this win... lol

You've got me beat. I've always wanted the home team to win, but I didn't really get into the Rangers until my dad retired from the Navy in 1985. (so I guess I'm 26 years vested) When he got back to Texas we really started to go to Rangers games back in the old Arlington Stadium.

That stadium was terrible, but I still have fond memories of it. Especially when everyone would stomp on the metal (no concrete) floors and the entire place would shake. (BOOM BOOM CLAP, BOOM BOOM CLAP) :laugh2:

Good times!

trickblue

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201436 said:
You've got me beat. I've always wanted the home team to win, but I didn't really get into the Rangers until my dad retired from the Navy in 1985. (so I guess I'm 26 years vested) When he got back to Texas we really started to go to Rangers games back in the old Arlington Stadium.

That stadium was terrible, but I still have fond memories of it. Especially when everyone would stomp on the metal (no concrete) floors and the entire place would shake. (BOOM BOOM CLAP, BOOM BOOM CLAP) :laugh2:

Good times!

Oh yeah... Arlington Stadium was a dump... went to many a game there... also went to the first game at the new stadium. It's a really great venue for a ballgame...

We were always on the cusp with Bobby V it seemed... :(

Stautner

Reaction score
Wild game. Have to imagine fans of both teams were sweating pretty hard. The Cards seemed the entire game to be on the verge of a big inning, and I was sweating it waiting for that to happen. The cards fans had to be thinking the longer the Rangers can stay in the game the more chance things will turn in their favor. A nail biter on both sides.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4201527 said:

Bobby V lives five minutes from me. He comes out the the little league field that my son plays at every year and gives a speech to all the kids playing baseball.

When he was with the Rangers, they were building team the right way, (from within) but Hicks bought the team and screwed that up trying to buy a champinship. Finally they went back to the correct way.

BBQ101

Reaction score
Stautner;4201770 said:
Wild game. Have to imagine fans of both teams were sweating pretty hard. The Cards seemed the entire game to be on the verge of a big inning, and I was sweating it waiting for that to happen. The cards fans had to be thinking the longer the Rangers can stay in the game the more chance things will turn in their favor. A nail biter on both sides.

The Cardinals did have a big inning...of screw ups. Im not a huge baseball fan or student of the game, but I was really confused why La Russa would bring out a pitcher just to intentionally walk the runner, then go to another.

And twice in the game, you have a hit and run setup with Pujols and Craig as the runner? Seems like they would have learned the first time.

Interesting article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_world_series_game_five_la_russa_102411

Go Rangers!

BBQ

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The funny thing is, everyone said St Louis was playing flawless baseball for the last month of the season and in the playoffs. ....till the World Series started. Now they've made a boat load of blunders and not just in game 5.

Stautner

Reaction score
BBQ101;4201817 said:
The Cardinals did have a big inning...of screw ups. Im not a huge baseball fan or student of the game, but I was really confused why La Russa would bring out a pitcher just to intentionally walk the runner, then go to another.

And twice in the game, you have a hit and run setup with Pujols and Craig as the runner? Seems like they would have learned the first time.

Interesting article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_world_series_game_five_la_russa_102411

Go Rangers!

BBQ

The story on the pitcher situation is that LaRussa twice called the bullpen to get Motte warming up, and the bullpen coach didn't hear properly eitehr because the crowd was too loud or a difficult hearing through the phone. The first time LaRussa said he wanted Rzepzinski and Motte to warm up and the coach only heard Rzepzinski, and the second time somehow the coach hear Lynn and got the wrong guy up. As a result LaRussa brought in Lynn to pitch the intentional walk only as a ply to give Motte some time to warm up.

On the hit and runs, not really sure if that's what happened the first time. That seemed odd and it was hard to tell if a hit and run was really called from the way LaRussa reacted. The second one wasn't really a hit and run, it was just trying to avoid hitting into a double play. OOPS, THAT BACKFIRED. Still, with Pujols, Holliday and Berkman batting in succession, and needing 2 runs, I would have played it safe with the runner and given those 3 a chance to tie it up with one swing.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
trickblue;4201527 said:
Oh yeah... Arlington Stadium was a dump... went to many a game there... also went to the first game at the new stadium. It's a really great venue for a ballgame...

I've only been to three ballparks. The Ballpark in Arlington, Coors Field in Denver, and Minute Maid in Houston. I love how the ballpark's main focus is baseball, nothing flashy but still nice to go to a game in. Coors Field was much of the same, just cooler outside. Now Minute Maid I didn't like at all, it never felt like I was at a baseball game.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
Stautner;4201770 said:

Yes sir. It really has been a great series. Now just to finish it off.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
cowboyeric8;4201936 said:
I've only been to three ballparks. The Ballpark in Arlington, Coors Field in Denver, and Minute Maid in Houston. I love how the ballpark's main focus is baseball, nothing flashy but still nice to go to a game in. Coors Field was much of the same, just cooler outside. Now Minute Maid I didn't like at all, it never felt like I was at a baseball game.

If you ever go to San Francisco, you MUST checkout AT&T Park. That place is awesome!

I haven't been to a lot of parks, but so far I've got these under my belt.

• Old Arlington Stadium
  • The Ball Park in Arlington
  • Old Yankee Stadium
  • New Yankee Stadium
  • Shea Stadium (haven't been to Citi Field yet)
  • Wriglely Field
  • San Francisco's AT&T Park
  • The Oakland Coliseum. (though I was very young and don't quite remember it)

EDIT: Been to Joe Robbie Stadium too (where the Marlins play), but was there for a Cowboys game.

trickblue

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201976 said:
If you ever go to San Francisco, you MUST checkout AT&T Park. That place is awesome!

• Old Arlington Stadium
  • Old Yankee Stadium
  • New Yankee Stadium
  • Wriglely Field

Old Arlington Stadium
Ballpark in Arlington
Candlestick Park
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium
Fenway Park
New Comiskey
Astrodome

Would love to go to Wrigley and I never got to Old Yankee unfortunately...

EVERYONE should go to Fenway... WAY cool...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
trickblue;4201987 said:
Old Arlington Stadium
Ballpark in Arlington
Candlestick Park
Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium
Fenway Park
New Comiskey
Astrodome

Would love to go to Wrigley and I never got to Old Yankee unfortunately...

EVERYONE should go to Fenway... WAY cool...

We almost went to Fenway this year when the Rangers were there. ...but I went to see the Big 4 concert the a couple of days before. That would have been an expensive two days between tickets and travel! :laugh2:

Stautner

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4201976 said:

• Old Arlington Stadium
  • Old Yankee Stadium
  • New Yankee Stadium
  • Wriglely Field
EDIT: Been to Joe Robbie Stadium too (where the Marlins play), but was there for a Cowboys game.

I agree with you about Minute Maid, but I have to say it's darn nice to be out of the sweltering Houston heat and humidity.

Here are mine:

The Ballpark in Arlington
Minute Maid
Astrodome
Candlestick
The Coleseum in Oakland
Old Comiskey