Would Giants fans rank Romo over Eli

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If the tables were flipped, would we rank Eli over Romo if Romo won 2 rings and Eli won none. Absolutely not. 2 rings do hold weight.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If the tables were flipped, would we rank Eli over Romo if Romo won 2 rings and Eli won none. Absolutely not. 2 rings do hold weight.

It does hold some however Eli inconsistent play should hold a lot as well. I think he is a good QB I also know he looks like a dog in many of the years he has been starting. Rings are important but they are also a team achievement not an individual achievement. If Romo was putting up some of the poor season Eli has fans would be wanting him ran out of town. I know this because Aikman had 3 rings and fans came down on him when his seasons started failing

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eli Manning has a career passer rating of 82.4. Out of 128 non-playoff games started in his career, Romo has only had 32 games with a passer rating below that mark. In other words, on average, for every 16 games played Romo plays better than Eli for 12 out of 16 games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Eli Manning has a career passer rating of 82.4. Out of 128 non-playoff games started in his career, Romo has only had 32 games with a passer rating below that mark. In other words, on average, for every 16 games played Romo plays better than Eli for 12 out of 16 games.

Yep. It has nothing to do with the so called shoe on the other foot or being a homer. if the question was ranking Rodgers vs Romo I would say Rodgers.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
I lived in the Hudson Valley from 1989 to 1992. I talked football and Dallas Cowboys with a lot of people there. By far the Giants fans were the most sane. The Jets and Bills fans were a bunch of idiots. Many Giants fans hated Jerry for how he treated Tom Landry. They still looked at him as one of their own. I also lived in the heart of Commanders country in Arlington VA through 1988. They are like Jets and Bills fans.

Maybe times have changed, but Giants fans are among the the most reasonable people I've met when talking football.

/Don't get me started on the Raiders and 40 whiners.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
I lived in the Hudson Valley from 1989 to 1992. I talked football and Dallas Cowboys with a lot of people there. By far the Giants fans were the most sane. The Jets and Bills fans were a bunch of idiots. Many Giants fans hated Jerry for how he treated Tom Landry. They still looked at him as one of their own. I also lived in the heart of Commanders country in Arlington VA through 1988. They are like Jets and Bills fans.

Maybe times have changed, but Giants fans are among the the most reasonable people I've met when talking football.

/Don't get me started on the Raiders and 40 whiners.

That is to say, Giants fans tend to know their history, and know football in general. They could tell you what a Sam Huff, Mel Hein, Y.A. Tittle or Andy Robustelli is. Mention RC Owens, Jimmy Johnson, Dave Wilcox, or Joe Perry to a Whiner fan, and they will think you're hitting them up for sex.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Exactly. If the question of the thread was who is the better QB? I think most would say Romo.

But if you're asking what a Giants fan would say? You can use any stat you want to back your claim but a Giants fan would more likely than not say Eli.

I don't know why you guys use this argument lol. No matter how much you guys hate Eli he and Romo are the same caliber of quarterback. Both are 2nd tier QB's in this league. Comparing Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer to Dan Marino.....that's just insane. I don't know why that's the go to argument to knock Eli's 2 championship runs.

I threw Johnson in there to make the point that he's no Dan Marino, but like Dilfer was capable enough to be the starter on a team that had a D that could go a long way to winning the SB. Eli has the rings and I give him credit for that. Put Tony on those Giants teams and he'd have 2 also...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Respectfully. Who cares?

In playoff runs Eli has played better than Romo 2 times.

Or

Eli = 2 out of 5 playoff runs were total success

Romo = 0 of 4 playoff runs were successful
With threepeat of 8-8 seasons with losses for win and you are in (2011, 12, 13)

Look, the guy has had a great career.
It's a great story. But if you got to the end of the book now... It would be a disappointing ending.

FINISH THE BOOK!!

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Let KJJ have the final word and then close the thread.

So far nothing new in 10 pages that hasnt been posted 1000 times before.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We disagree. As prolific as Marino or Fouts or any of those guys were, they are not generally in the discussion of greatest. It's no problem.
Wow. Yeah, we disagree on Marino for sure.

Who are your top 10 QB all time, for the helluvit?

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Yeah, have absolutely no idea how anyone can say Marino isn't in the discussion of one of the greatest QBs of all time. There are some, even if it's not the majority, who say he's THE best QB of all time that was stuck on a bad team. There is some merit to that, the man threw for 5,000 yards in 84. He was a great QB and should always be in the discussion with other greats.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
In farmers branch we call your attitude "Chutzpahd-nah" as in "You know you are wrong and you continue to talk back, pahdnah"!
Do not talk back in the face of North Texas logic. do not talk back because you are wrong. Wronger than pairing a Red vintage with shellfish!" Wronger than a statue of Jerry "hot tub" Rice in front of JerraWorld. Wronger than Chris Rock as a leading man! Wronger than baseball in November!

Desist!

Romo's protection in the playoffs dropped off considerably from what he'd enjoyed in the regular season. It's to be expected. Most playoff teams tend to have decent to good pass rushes.

- but 'Chutzpahd-nah'? That is pretty cool.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Marino would be in my top 10 but it's really not me or my opinion that is the point of the discussion. It's how QBs are viewed from the perspective of the Media and the League IMO. Marino was a great QB. One of the best passing QBs I ever saw. Maybe the best. However, because he would not adopt a running game, he could never win a championship. I've even heard him, in interviews, say this. He still doesn't regret it but he does acknowledge the possibility of it.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Romo's protection in the playoffs dropped off considerably from what he'd enjoyed in the regular season. It's to be expected. Most playoff teams tend to have decent to good pass rushes.

- but 'Chutzpahd-nah'? That is pretty cool.

Mozel tov, Bernie, I gotta million of 'em!

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Nobody wins a ring by accident. Eli played well during his 2 runs. But looking at last several years, it's not close. It's Romo.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Nobody wins a ring by accident. Eli played well during his 2 runs. But looking at last several years, it's not close. It's Romo.

In the second run, Eli played out of his mind good.. I'm talking Montana like play. He may be very inconsistent and he may have had a solid D, but he sure as hell did his part and more. He deserves both of those super mvp awards. Romo has however played better the last 3 or so years.

dstovall5

Reaction score
In my honest completely unbiased opinion :rolleyes:, I think at this point in time there's a closer gap between Romo and Rodgers/Brady/Manning then there is between Eli to Romo . I've always said, Eli Manning is an average (maybe slightly above) QB who's been extremely fortunate. He's played at a higher level in the playoffs, but it wasn't as if he carried a slouch of a team. The two teams he won it with were extremely hot during the playoffs, sure they may have been 9-7 but record means absolutely nothing except seeding purposes. It comes down to who's peaking at the right time, not who's peaking in September, and the Giants were on fire (like we were last year). I really do believe to win a Super Bowl you have to be lucky to an extent, some teams gets more breaks then others, but that's just the way it happens. As long as you're constantly making the playoffs, eventually you'll catch the breaks you need and the dominoes will fall in place.

The Patriots last year needed a break at the end of the game, and look what happened, they got one. Russel Wilson one of the best QBs in the game at protecting the football, makes a bad throw into a slant route which gets jumped. And not only that, for the interception to happen, there also had to be an extremely questionable play call. First off, Pete Carrol outfoxed himself, we say all the time around here don't get cute when we're on short downs, go with what we know works and hand the ball off. AND if you do decide to throw it, don't throw a slant route over the middle of the field where a bad throw (which is what happened) ends the game, effectively giving away a Super Bowl. Throw a low risk high reward Back Shoulder fade against the pylon where only the WR can make a play on it, if the pass is incomplete (over thrown), no harm done.

I know it's all speculation, but I think the same is true with Dallas. If we get "lucky" and catch a break on Dez's non catch, I think we at least make the Super Bowl. We had all the momentum in the world, had already previously beaten the Seahawks at their house, and we also had the hottest team in the NFC. And not to mention our QB was playing extremely efficient without turning the ball over, the recipe for success was there. At least that's my take on this.