Would the Cowboys bench Dak?

Chasing6

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
Would Dak hold out?

I am sure CD would love it on his 5th year, contract year, for Dak to sit out or Trance to be the starter.

cowboys1732

Reaction score
The funnest part will be watching all the people that defended him for years turn on him when he’s no longer a Cowboy.

It’ll show just how phoney many of the “fans” are.

That’s always the most eye opening part about losing a player.
Wait, wouldn’t that signify that fans that “turned“ on Dak if he was no longer a Cowboy were in fact, fans of the team over the individual player?

While I would be good with the Cowboys moving on from Dak, I will never hope he fails so the team fails.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
oh, I hope not. me and the other 4 dak guys on here would be heart broken if we couldn't see our dak play. I hope they offer him half a billion to stay with the team. Go dakboys.

SwagSurfer

Reaction score
He didn't regain his starting job after being injured most of the season because the team and Dak were having great success.

You characterized it as if Romo was playing poorly and as a result lost the confidence of his teammates and forced the team to remove him from the starting lineup and put on the bench.

In other words, you put a misleading spin on it to fit a particular narrative.
No I didn't. I simply said he was benched. You made up the rest.

StarLord

Reaction score
Any player that is playing badly should be benched. Regardless of salary.

If a player needs to be benched to get someone else into the game or in an effort to spark the team, that's legit to.

In other words, benching's are part of the business.
Unfortunately, probably more than any other organization, the Jones believe in the sunk cost fallacy (i.e. one legged Zeke vs prime Pollard in the post season)

chagus

Reaction score
In his career he's had great games, and he's had his moments of not doing well, we understand that no QB is perfect. With that said, and with all that's going on so far this off season, is there any chance the Cowboys would bench Dak if he hit a slump during the season? Are we willing to sit a player that's making that much money on the bench and waste money? If it happened during the earlier part of of the season, could they be benching him to save him for a possible trade? There's some things to think about. Hear me clearly, I'm not advocating for Dak to have a bad season etc, some may, that's their opinion!!!! In essence, i'm not saying this to be a bash Dak thread, he already has enough pressure on his mind now!! Please give your thoughts!
If Dak were to get benched for any reason, it would be a clear indication that Dallas is done with him.

NotForLong

Reaction score
The problem has always been this front office and their willingness/ability to acquire good QB talent. Dak and Romo were both pure luck. The QBs Dallas has been linked to in the draft over the years (Manziel, Paxton Lynch, etc.) have been huge busts. So I don't think it's unreasonable for people to think that the best shot is with a QB like Dak who just had an MVP-runner up season, has made multiple pro-bowls, and has games where he looks like a perfect QB. It's just impossible to quantify why he consistently falls apart in big games. You can call him a loser and all the other one liners and whatnot, but I'm personally terrified about this front office being able to go the distance to either trade for a proven commodity at QB or give up enough in the draft to acquire a premium top pick and then also hit on that guy. It's not this blatantly obvious decision you make it out to be, as there are alot more factors than just Dak falling off in big games. But I do agree that it's fair to think that paying him a max QB deal isn't the way to go. I'm not scared of rock bottom, I'm scared of Stephen Jones keeping the team stuck there for a decade because his cheap *** won't acquire a great QB. Maybe we can go the 49ers route and build an elite team at all the skill positions and a defense around Micah (who has his own issues) and hope to find a serviceable QB. I just have yet to see a team win a SB with that plan. Maybe they can make one, but not win it.
If you are scared get a dog

RonnieT24

Reaction score
People rooting for Dak to play bad are going to be sorely disappointed. Dude has had a couple of bad stretches in his career but those have never lasted very long. Now he has an all pro receiver, a pro bowl caliber tight end and by all accounts about to get a stud running back in the draft to hand off to. This offense will be top 3 in the NFL again to the chagrin of Dak haters everywhere. It has been tops in the NFL when Dak has been starting for the better part of 5 years under two different OCs. And that same offense has looked like a steamin pile when he has been out or hampered with injury. At some point yall are just going to have to accept that Dak is a good QB. Sure with flaws but a good QB nonetheless. One of the best in the biz. Why that bothers so many so called Cowboy fans will always be a mystery to me.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Aint no way in hell Jerry is going to let anybody sit a player counting $55 million on the cap.

You guys are tripping thinking Fat Mike has that type of power. The only decision Fat Mike makes is if to order fries with his In and Out Burger, thats it.

NotForLong

Reaction score
You can say the same thing for the team and defense.
Would not be true but you can day it . . . If you need to dig deep into your bag of Dak excuses. If that does not work attack the players individualy

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would not be true but you can day it . . . If you need to dig deep into your bag of Dak excuses. If that does not work attack the players individualy
You’re saying the inconsistent running game, penalties and repeated defensive breakdowns have nothing to do with our playoff struggles, it’s been entirely on Dak?

NotForLong

Reaction score
You’re saying the inconsistent running game, penalties and repeated defensive breakdowns have nothing to do with our playoff struggles, it’s been entirely on Dak?
Be more specific. Which year? And then we can go from there

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The only way I bench Dak is if I wanted to trade him. If that was the case I would just tell him we are moving in a different direction and if he wants to play in 2024 it will have to be on another team. If he chooses not to waive his trade clause then I would site him - which would hurt his value in 2025.

Why would I want to trade him? I would trade him if he insists on holding out on a new deal for $60 million. In fact, anything over $50 million and I would pull the plug on his tenure in Dallas.

But there is one big difference between me and Jerry. I would use the CAP save from cutting Dak to add some quality players to my roster. Jerry won't use the CAP save to do that so why not just extend Dak then? CAP room means nothing to Jerry because he won't use it properly.
What effect would cutting Dak have on the Cowboys’ current CAP situation?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Be more specific. Which year? And then we can go from there
I’m referring to the playoff losses to GB in 2016, The Rams in 2018, SF in 2021 and GB this past season. Our inconsistent running game and defense had nothing to do with those losses, it was entirely on Dak?

NotForLong

Reaction score
I’m referring to the playoff losses to GB in 2016, The Rams in 2018, SF in 2021 and GB this past season. Our inconsistent running game and defense had nothing to do with those losses, it was entirely on Dak?
Dak's slow starts caused the defenses to play behind the eight ball and wear down

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak's slow starts caused the defenses to play behind the eight ball and wear down
You’re making excuses for the defense? :laugh: Both SF in 2021 and the Packers last January marched down the field on their opening drive to score TDs. We were behind before our offense ever stepped on the field. In 2016 our defense choked in the final seconds against Aaron Rodgers after Dak and our offense tied the game. In 2018 against the Rams they ran the ball down our throats for over 200 yards. Two different backs had 100 yard games. Even Goff used his immobile legs to scramble for a key first down that sealed the game. Our defense got us beat in all three of those games and you’re putting it all on Dak. :rolleyes:

Kwyn

Reaction score
What reason. Dak is more stale then a potato chip in the couch cushion.

If you did not spend time defending him you would be able to see that
It’s not personal for me, as it seems to be for you. I’ve been on record for some time as being ready for a change at QB.

I’m simply a realist and understand that Rush and Lance are barely qualified to be backups, let alone start.

A lot of hopium being huffed around here when it comes to Lance.