Would the Cowboys bench Dak?

Creeper

Reaction score
What effect would cutting Dak have on the Cowboys’ current CAP situation?
If they cut Dak now they would take an additional $11 million CAP hit. $66 million in dead money in 2024. But he would be off the books in 2025.

I am not recommending cutting him outright. I would prefer to force a trade by getting him to waive his no trade clause. Dak should bring 2 first round picks and more.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I think you know the answer to that if you follow Jerry's MO.....if he pays someone big money, he plays. You don't sit him down and waste money for nothing.

Flamma

Reaction score
If they cut Dak now they would take an additional $11 million CAP hit. $66 million in dead money in 2024. But he would be off the books in 2025.

I am not recommending cutting him outright. I would prefer to force a trade by getting him to waive his no trade clause. Dak should bring 2 first round picks and more.
He'll waive it, but he'll pick and choose what team he wants to be traded to. Do you think a team would give us 2 first rounders for him? I'd do that in a second.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He'll waive it, but he'll pick and choose what team he wants to be traded to. Do you think a team would give us 2 first rounders for him? I'd do that in a second.
He’ll wave his middle finger at the Cowboys’ idiot owner. He will never agree to a trade. Ever.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
oh, I hope not. me and the other 4 dak guys on here would be heart broken if we couldn't see our dak play. I hope they offer him half a billion to stay with the team. Go dakboys.
Half a billion is simply not enough!
1 Billion and 25% of the team's ownership now that would be fair. :muttley:

The glory he has brought to this franchise (2 wildcard wins) is priceless!!!!

LysleE

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Dak was not the Jones’ first choice for QB…but Dallas picked him and he played well with a stud OL, beastly RB, WR and HOF TE and made the FO look good.
Jerry loves Dak as a result and thus, so long as Jerry is running the show Dak will be the QB of the Cowboys. Dak has NEVER had to compete to become the starting QB; it landed in his lap when Romo was injured and Jerry has never signed any legit QBs to challenge Dak for the starting QB, so Dak has never had to compete to keep his job.
So Dak will only get benched if he is injured because if Dak is benched it will mean that Jerry made a mistake and his football acumen, which he takes great pride in thinking he actually possesses it, will take a hit.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
if he plays games with no contract extension this year..I HIGHLY doubt he would accept a trade..he will just see what FA gets him..which he should like any other player in his situation. You dont like the situation the FO is in then blame the FO that has been screwing up this franchise for 28 years...
Who knows the mind(s) of the FO?

The Shadow knows...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
if he plays games with no contract extension this year..I HIGHLY doubt he would accept a trade..he will just see what FA gets him..which he should like any other player in his situation. You dont like the situation the FO is in then blame the FO that has been screwing up this franchise for 28 years...
Probably not, but my point was that IF Dak did, the better he plays the more they could get for him.

Situations can change dramatically, the future is unknown....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If we are going to hope for things to happen then I will hope he plays great and we win a Super Bowl.
Yeah, I don't really care who leads the team to a SB win, be it Dak or Rush or Lance or whoever.

The whole focus on Dak is overblown in many ways, he'll be gone one day, then the "fans" who rag on Dak will have another quarterback to lambast...

Creeper

Reaction score
Look at what the Rams gave up for Stafford. The Lions got Goff, plus 2 first round picks and a 3rd round pick. I think the league in general appreciates Dak a lot more than Cowboys fans.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak fans are comfortable in mediocrity.

Dak brings them comfort.

They are scared of the unknown.

They would rather wallow in the middle over taking chances to be great.
They saw unknown and it was 5-1 with a practice QB with a noddle arm I’m Cooper Rush. And Amari actually saw the unknown too and that was the ball was thrown his way…

khiladi

Reaction score
Look at what the Rams gave up for Stafford. The Lions got Goff, plus 2 first round picks and a 3rd round pick. I think the league in general appreciates Dak a lot more than Cowboys fans.
Rams leveraged their whole future for a Super Bowl win and they still went 10-7 last year. Stafford played 10 games too. They were 5-12 the year before.

This proves the exact opposite of the fear of losing Dak.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Rams leveraged their whole future for a Super Bowl win and they still went 10-7 last year. Stafford played 10 games too. They were 5-12 the year before.

This proves the exact opposite of the fear of losing Dak.
That required a bold, intelligent, professional NFL general manager and an aggressive, innovative NFL head coach. The Dallas Cowboys have neither. In addition, Goff’s agent had not purposely negotiated a no trade clause for his client. In short, the Cowboys are not the Rams. Todd France and Dak Prescott have a goal for Dak’s next contract and the Dallas Cowboys are not going to deter them. Dak will not be threatened or coerced into any action or signing a contract less than he and France believe he’s worth. Fans have trouble accepting that. They don’t want Prescott to get everything he wants as some sort of punishment for the team losing that playoff game to the Packers and Cowboys’ poor management of the league’s salary cap rules. Fans are fantasizing ways that would happen. It is not going to. It’s an exercise in futility.

khiladi

Reaction score
That required a bold, intelligent, professional NFL general manager and an aggressive, innovative NFL head coach. The Dallas Cowboys have neither. In addition, Goff’s agent had not purposely negotiated a no trade clause for his client. In short, the Cowboys are not the Rams. Todd France and Dak Prescott have a goal for Dak’s next contract and the Dallas Cowboys are not going to deter them. Dak will not be threatened or coerced into any action or signing a contract less than he and France believe he’s worth. Fans have trouble accepting that. They don’t want Prescott to get everything he wants as some sort of punishment for the team losing that playoff game to the Packers and Cowboys’ poor management of the league’s salary cap rules. Fans are fantasizing ways that would happen. It is not going to. It’s an exercise in futility.
the point is, the Rams are back to winning.

Flamma

Reaction score
That's not as good as it looks. The Rams wanted Stafford. But they had to unload Goff. They basically paid Detroit to take on Goff's contract with an extra 1st round pick. Detroit didn't want to trade QBs, the Rams did.

As far as Dak goes, I could be wrong. But it is usually the elite talent that gets 2 first round picks. But it wouldn't shock me if some team did for Dak.