Would you be disappointed if we drafted Felix Jones at 22?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2033945 said:
Ummmm....how in Hades is Jones more versatile than McFadden? Kinda takes any credibility away form that write up, IMO.

Receiving and returning kicks.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2033958 said:

I'll give you returning kicks, but receiving is a push...and McFadden is the better back, and can pass. He's not more versatile IMO.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2033963 said:
I'll give you returning kicks, but receiving is a push...and McFadden is the better back, and can pass. He's not more versatile IMO.

McFadden (college career) 46 receptions, 365 yards, 7.93 ypc, 2 TD's
Jones (college career) 39 receptions, 383 yards, 9.82 ypc, 3TD's.

Don't know if I would say receiving is a "push".

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2033969 said:
McFadden (college career) 46 receptions, 365 yards, 7.93 ypc, 2 TD's
Jones (college career) 39 receptions, 383 yards, 9.82 ypc, 3TD's.

Don't know if I would say receiving is a "push".

I'm guessing your banking on the 1.89 ypc differential? Or is it the 1 touchdown that makes Jones the more adept receiver?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2033972 said:
I'm guessing your banking on the 1.89 ypc differential? Or is it the 1 touchdown that makes Jones the more adept receiver?

1.89 ypc is a decent amount.

Coming into this collegiate season Mel Kiper called Felix Jones "The most explosive running back in the country"... his words, not mine.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2033975 said:
1.89 ypc is a decent amount.

Coming into this collegiate season Mel Kiper called Felix Jones "The most explosive running back in the country"... his words, not mine.

You're not exactly rocking my world with this argument. :D

...for that matter the 5 additional reception for McFadden should count for something...as does the fact that teams were zeroing in on the guy. Felix probably benefited just a bit from the other guys presence.

...and the day Kiper influences any of m thoughts, I'll stop thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Jones, I'd be cool with taking him in the second somewhere...I just don't buy that he's more versatile than McFadden...or explosive for that matter.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2033982 said:
You're not exactly rocking my world with this argument. :D

...for that matter the 5 additional reception for McFadden should count for something...as does the fact that teams were zeroing in on the guy. Felix probably benefited just a bit from the other guys presence.

...and the day Kiper influences any of m thoughts, I'll stop thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Jones, I'd be cool with taking him in the second somewhere...I just don't buy that he's more versatile than McFadden...or explosive for that matter.

And who's to say McFadden didn't benefit from having Felix Jones in the backfield?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2033988 said:
And who's to say McFadden didn't benefit from having Felix Jones in the backfield?

All American Heisman canindate two years in the room .....

yea your bias is showing

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;2034060 said:
All American Heisman canindate two years in the room .....

yea your bias is showing

Anyone that has two second round players being chosen by the Cowboys in the first round shouldn't be making remarks.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
wayne motley;2033937 said:
For what it's worth, and I'm sure that's not much....TSN's write up went this way:

NFL comparison: Frank Gore, 49ers

Inside Running: Is surprisingly aggressive and explosive. Hits the hole fast, showing the strength and balance to absorb hits and keep on going. Does not consistantly wrap up the ball.

Outside Running: Is a threat to score when he reaches the open field. Has the explosive burst to bounce outside when the middle is clogged. Explodes through the backside hole.

Blocking: Lacks experience as a lead blocker. Is surprisingly competitive, productive pass blocker who steps up and neutralizes blitzers.

Hands/routes: Has excellent hands, making tough catches look easy. Runs precise routes and shows explosive burst out of cuts.

Durability: Is strong and tough, but runs upright and absorbs tons of hard hits.

Bottom Line: Jones has not received as much attention as teammate Darren McFadden, but is more versatile. With Jones' all-around ability, he will become a top NFL feature back and an elite kickoff return man.

Certainly, none of us has to agree with any of that, and again, I didn't actually see the kid play much, but it explains why some publications like TSN rank him so highly. Again, I'm not calling for his name on draft day, but I do think the guys who soured on him due to 8 bench presses are missing the point.

I saw Felix alot, and TSN might need to go to LensCrafters to get their eyes checked.

MichaelWinicki;2033958 said:

MichaelWinicki;2033988 said:

Darren also returned kicks, Felix was better at it that though. Both benefited from each other, but watching the games, it was rather obivous who the defense was keying on, Mr. McFadden.

A better comparison is Westbrook for only one reason, Westbrook is a back that can't really carry the ball 30 times a game, so it is tried to be made up by him being a WR. Problem with that is, if you have a back like that as your feature back, its hard to be ultra physical and stomp your opponent into the ground in the fourth quarter. Makes your team too much of a finesse team.

We will be forced to make a decision on Barber soon, and in order to not be held hostage by his demands, we need a back that can handle the load if we can't resign Barber. Felix isn't that back.

dasander

Reaction score
While I like Jones, I would rather take a cornerback at 22 instead if Mike Jenkins was available. Leodis McKelvin and DRC won't make it to 22...Mike Jenkins might and I wouldn't be opposed to trading up a few spots to land Mike Jenkins. I think the similarities between Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, and Jamaal Charels are too close to take one of them that early. 28 would work for a runningback if all the good cornerback and wide receiver talent was off the board.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dasander;2034116 said:
While I like Jones, I would rather take a cornerback at 22 instead if Mike Jenkins was available. Leodis McKelvin and DRC won't make it to 22...Mike Jenkins might and I wouldn't be opposed to trading up a few spots to land Mike Jenkins. I think the similarities between Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, and Jamaal Charels are too close to take one of them that early. 28 would work for a runningback if all the good cornerback and wide receiver talent was off the board.

Hey, it wouldn't bother me to take a CB with #22 and then trade right out of the first round. I'm not gung-ho on taking either a RB or a WR in the first round. I don't see a WR worth the #28th pick and I think it's a horrible waste drafting a first round RB with a probowler already on the roster.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed in drafting Jones at 22, as long as we got the best CB available at 28. We need a CB who can start in the slot this year and move outside when necessary. I don't care what Newman says about Alan Ball, but I consider him a downgrade from Reeves and that's scary.

I'd prefer Cason first, but what's wrong with this?

#22 RB Felix Jones
#28 CB Antoine Cason

Then, just draft a speedy WR at #61 like Andre Caldwell, Eddie Royal or Dexter Jackson and there you go.

:)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Silverstar;2034454 said:
I wouldn't be disappointed in drafting Jones at 22, as long as we got the best CB available at 28. We need a CB who can start in the slot this year and move outside when necessary. I don't care what Newman says about Alan Ball, but I consider him a downgrade from Reeves and that's scary.

I'd prefer Cason first, but what's wrong with this?

#22 RB Felix Jones
#28 CB Antoine Cason

Then, just draft a speedy WR at #61 like Andre Caldwell, Eddie Royal or Dexter Jackson and there you go.

:)

You wouldn't be disappointed if we take a backup RB first after all your just said about our secondary?

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2034084 said:
Anyone that has two second round players being chosen by the Cowboys in the first round shouldn't be making remarks.

:laugh2:

That was funny. I dont get some of these guys "mock drafts" either.

Granted I dont have one, but I could do better then he did.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that Antoine Cason is a 2nd rounder shouldn't be making remarks.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
:signmast:

Ask Devin Hester if All-American KR go in the 1st round. =)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I would be disappointed.

For all the speed hes supposed to have, he didn't even run that great. Hes supposed to be a speed back and he doesn't have great speed. I don't know what it is but I just don't get too hyped when I think about him. I think there are some equally good complements that can be had later.

I guess I could live with it. He only has to be better then Julius Jones so its not asking a whole lot.

I'd rather take the ****** from Texas in the 2nd round then take Felix in the 1st.