Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, let's all be Saints fans, so that Brees can retire with his 2nd ring and Payton can come back to the Cowboys!:)

new-orleans-saints-fans.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bold> Payton's return is DOA if that requirement is conditional for his return. Prescott made his long-term impression on Jerry Jones in 2016. It would be necessary for Payton and Prescott to forge a successful partnership together.
Then I would be very surprised if he would come to Dallas unless he needed the job.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The question is how would Payton feel about Prescott as his QB? The reason Brees can run his offense is because of deadeye accuracy. Would he demand a new QB as part of his deal?

Food for thought:

Drew Brees was a 62% completions guy in San Diego before he hooked up with Sean Payton.

Dak Prescott is currently a 66.1% completions guy without having worked with Sean Payton.

Just something to think about.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Ok there are posters arguing whether or not Sean Payton is actually a better coach than Jason Garrett.

Holy crap this board sometimes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

yes, Yes, YEs, YES!! Please do Payton! I'd love for that to happen!

cern

Reaction score
I'd help Garrett pack. But not likely payton coming to dallas. Only way a good coach comes to Dallas is when Jerry's totally out of the picture.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Payton would need to completely overhaul this offense - it's not his style. Dak would be gone, I don't even think Zeke would fit it. WRs wouldn't.

We'd then have to hope we could rebuild it through the draft and FA. He's good at finding talent, that's for sure.

aria

Reaction score
It's information you don't want to see. I get it.

Who he, himself rescued off the scrap heap, with a bum shoulder that no one else wanted. Ask Scott Linehan, Jason Garrett and the Dolphins.

Because he's an offensive mastermind who can't fix the defense as well as the offense. But that's one more mastermind title than our "master of none" current coach has.
It’s information I don’t want to see because I care about winning, not points. Hell, if you want to talk about just points there are then you can make an argument for JG because in 2015 the Cowboys averaged more points ppg than the Saints and in 2016 the Cowboys were 5th, Saints were first and had a HOF QB.

Overall the Saints score more points, got it. They also have a HOF QB and 4 losing seasons out of the past 7. Guess all those points really paid off, didn’t they?

Never argued with your last point and even supported it but we all know how you like to cherry pick others comments to support your argument.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s information I don’t want to see because I care about winning, not points. Hell, if you want to talk about just points there are then you can make an argument for JG because in 2015 the Cowboys averaged more points ppg than the Saints and in 2016 the Cowboys were 5th, Saints were first and had a HOF QB.

Overall the Saints score more points, got it.

And the Cowboys' biggest issue this year was? Failure to "score more points".

They also have a HOF QB and 4 losing seasons out of the past 7.

And who's coaching got him to be that "HOF QB"? Fact is that Brees was an out-of-work question mark before he and Payton hooked up. One that Scott Linehan and Jason Garrett said "no thanks" to when they had the chance in Miami.

Guess all those points really paid off, didn’t they?

They paid off with playoff victories and Super Bowls, right? And Garrett?

Never argued with your last point and even supported it but we all know how you like to cherry pick others comments to support your argument.

Then what exactly are we arguing about? I'm not "cherry picking" anything. He'd bring the ability to fix the Cowboys biggest issue, their offense. Which is obviously more than Garrett has ever been able to do.

aria

Reaction score
And the Cowboys' biggest issue this year was? Failure to "score more points".

And who's coaching got him to be that "HOF QB"? Fact is that Brees was an out-of-work question mark before he and Payton hooked up. One that Scott Linehan and Jason Garrett said "no thanks" to when they had the chance in Miami.

They paid off with playoff victories and Super Bowls, right? And Garrett?

Then what exactly are we arguing about? I'm not "cherry picking" anything. He'd bring the ability to fix the Cowboys biggest issue, their offense. Which is obviously more than Garrett has ever been able to do.
And based on history, the Saints biggest failure was stopping other teams. So what does that solve? Offensive “genius” as HC, leads the league in points for a few years yet still has losing seasons.

One playoff victory with a HOF QB and scoring the most points a few years here and there. In all honesty that’s not overly impressive. I always thought McCarthy was over rated while everyone here was fawning over him and was largely the benefcator of AR, apparently most of their fans and management agreed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I highly doubt a HC that is playing in the NFC championship will be let go to another team. Silly.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And based on history, the Saints biggest failure was stopping other teams. So what does that solve? Offensive “genius” as HC, leads the league in points for a few years yet still has losing seasons.

This team doesn't have that problem. Their defense carried them as far as they got.

One playoff victory with a HOF QB and scoring the most points a few years here and there. In all honesty that’s not overly impressive.

How about helping that "HOF QB" get there? A guy who was replaced and hit free agency?

I always thought McCarthy was over rated while everyone here was fawning over him and was largely the benefcator of AR, apparently most of their fans and management agreed.

So your point isn't that if a coach has a good quarterback he can't be good himself no matter what he does?