Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Then why did we beat them? I’m not saying he’s not better than JG but I don’t think he’s the some football coaching god that people make him out to be. Without Brees he wouldn’t have near the success he’s had and in the past 5 years he’s had three 7-9 seasons with Brees.
What faith do you have that Garrett would have beaten him in the playoffs, honestly? And wasn't one of those 7-9 seasons while Payton was suspended?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

I would be for it. I would also be for your alternative reality @stasheroo of JG promoted to GM and Richard promoted to HC. Payton could work in that alternate reality too and JG wouldn't be seeing Linehan as his "coaching buddy", just a buddy out looking for a job and needing a solid reference ;)

aria

Reaction score
This team doesn't have that problem. Their defense carried them as far as they got.

How about helping that "HOF QB" get there? A guy who was replaced and hit free agency?

So your point isn't that if a coach has a good quarterback he can't be good himself no matter what he does?
What do you mean their defense “carried them as far as they got”. Based on points allowed, the Saints defense has been horrendous for several years hence why they’ve had losing records even with an offense scoring the most points. But that has nothing to do with the HC, does it?

No, my point was I figured he would have done more with a HOF QB and a top offense. How many other teams have had losing records with top offenses? The HC doesn’t get a free pass just because his offense up points but doesn’t win games.

aria

Reaction score
What faith do you have that Garrett would have beaten him in the playoffs, honestly? And wasn't one of those 7-9 seasons while Payton was suspended?
Ok, and wasn’t last year when Zeke was was suspended. So 2 out of 3 years the Cowboys have been to the playoffs, once earning a bye and with a rookie RB and QB only to be beat by possibly the GOAT QB in the final seconds on a 50+ FG.

No, I don’t think we would have beaten them in the playoffs but I also didn’t think we would beat them in the first game but we did.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Here is a question for all you coaching experts out there. Wasn't Sean Payton more or less considered a water boy when he was here? I certainly to not recall a single person anointing him as the next great coach when he was here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you mean their defense “carried them as far as they got”.

The current Cowboys defense carried them as far as they got.

Based on points allowed, the Saints defense has been horrendous for several years hence why they’ve had losing records even with an offense scoring the most points. But that has nothing to do with the HC, does it?

So Payton can get half his team right, his offense, still half more than Garrett can.

No, my point was I figured he would have done more with a HOF QB and a top offense. How many other teams have had losing records with top offenses? The HC doesn’t get a free pass just because his offense up points but doesn’t win games.

Apparently, just blame. The "HOF QB" apparently has nothing to do with him either.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Ok, and wasn’t last year when Zeke was was suspended. So 2 out of 3 years the Cowboys have been to the playoffs, once earning a bye and with a rookie RB and QB only to be beat by possibly the GOAT QB in the final seconds on a 50+ FG.

No, I don’t think we would have beaten them in the playoffs but I also didn’t think we would beat them in the first game but we did.

But none of that addresses whether Garrett is a better coach than Payton or not. And, let's be honest, when we did beat them this season it was about the defensive side of the ball. Garrett's bread and butter (offense) mustered 13 points and we were lucky to hang on.

It was a good win and the entire team deserves credit but the difference is Payton would have adjusted in the playoffs and Garrett would have stuck with won the previous time and got his *** whooped. Truth, brother.

aria

Reaction score
The current Cowboys defense carried them as far as they got.

So Payton can get half his team right, his offense, still half more than Garrett can.

Apparently, just blame. The "HOF QB" apparently has nothing to do with him either.
Defense was top 5, how is that not half right?

Wait, you’re the one who keeps saying Sean is responsible for Brees great resurgence, so based on that logic then yeah, he would have a direct responsibility for the “HOF QB” not performing up to par.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Defense was top 5, how is that not half right?

What was Garrett's contribution to that defense?

Wait, you’re the one who keeps saying Sean is responsible for Brees great resurgence, so based on that logic then yeah, he would have a direct responsibility for the “HOF QB” not performing up to par.

I'll give him credit and blame, apparently, all you'll give him is blame. If the "HOF QB" wasn't "up to par", he wouldn't, in fact, be that "HOF QB" you keep pointing out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look who's also starting to talk about this same subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ones-commit-to-jason-garrett-we-have-an-idea/

In one breath, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones insists that coach Jason Garrett would have had five job offers if he’d been available two weeks ago. In the next breath, Jones refuses to rule out that Garrett will be available two weeks from now.

Here’s what Jones told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas when asked to commit to the 2019 return of his head coach, with emphasis added: “Why would I put some kind of statement out that says this is what we’re going to do when we might have an opportunity here next week? This is the time when these things are thought about. This is the time when they are chewed on. This is when you may see an opportunity next week that you didn’t know existed this week in the area of personnel or in the area of coaching. And I’m not trying to be cute here. I’m just saying that one of the advantages that we have is that we can operate with that kind of flexibility.”

So what opportunity could arise next week? Short of the cloning of Sean McVay or the reanimation of Vince Lombardi, the universe of potential coaches is set. The universe of available coaches, however, will soon grow.

After Sunday, an AFC finalist and an NFC finalist will lose. Next week, coaches will be available, in theory, who aren’t available now.

And given that a month of Sunday Splash! reports has speculated on Saints coach Sean Payton moving on and, more specifically, linked him to the Cowboys, it’s fair to consider Jones’ comments through that lens. Is Jones suggesting that, if the Saints lose, the Cowboys would explore upgrading from Jason Garrett to Sean Payton?

Despite the practical complications that arise when trying to fire one coach and hire another (Rooney Rule compliance would become an obvious issue), Jerry Jones tends to do whatever Jerry Jones wants to do. He has said he’d write a huge check if it would guarantee a Super Bowl win, and whether those huge checks are to the league for violating the Rooney Rule, to Payton to lure him to town, or both, Jones’ cryptic yet loaded comments from Tuesday suggest that he’s thinking about making a run at hiring Payton.

Of course, Payton has said or done nothing to suggest an inclination to leave the Saints. But this isn’t about Payton; it’s about Jones. If Jones has decided that he’s willing to blow the coaching compensation curve in order to make it happen (and to give up draft picks to get Payton from the Saints), nothing stops Jones from at least trying.

And that may be the only way to properly comprehend the things that Jones had to say on Tuesday when talking about his current head coach.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I'm of that mindset that this team can do MUCH worse than Ol Clappy...

That being said. I take Payton 10 times out of 10