Would you be for or against the idea of Sean Payton returning to the Cowboys?

FaSho

Reaction score
I'd cramp my pants if we got Payton. An actual great head coach! Too bad it's a pipe dream.

aria

Reaction score
What was Garrett's contribution to that defense?

I'll give him credit and blame, apparently, all you'll give him is blame. If the "HOF QB" wasn't "up to par", he wouldn't, in fact, be that "HOF QB" you keep pointing out.
What don’t you understand about I already said Sean would be better than JG but I don’t think he’s the head coaching genius aome people make him out to be? That is giving him credit. I also give him credit for the offense but don’t think he would be nearly as successful with someone, say like Dak, as was with Brees.

So basically if a HC is calling his own olays on offense or defense then he’s not good HC’ing material?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What don’t you understand about I already said Sean would be better than JG but I don’t think he’s the head coaching genius aome people make him out to be? That is giving him credit. I also give him credit for the offense but don’t think he would be nearly as successful with someone, say like Dak, as was with Brees.

I'd be curious to know why you feel that way?

So basically if a HC is calling his own olays on offense or defense then he’s not good HC’ing material?

I'm not following you here, can you clarify what you're saying?

dfense

Reaction score
SP without Brees is JAG.

You show me a great coach, I'll show you a great QB.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?
I say no.

aria

Reaction score
I'd be curious to know why you feel that way?

I'm not following you here, can you clarify what you're saying?
You asked what has JG done to contribute to the defense so I replied with if a HC doesn’t call plays for the defense or offense then he is not HC’ing material? That was a question for you. As far as I know, there are several HC’is who don’t “contribute to the offense or defense” but are still highly regarded. IMOF, I’ve seen several coaches who call their own plays make some of the most, bone headed decisions because I think they often get so caught up in their play calling that they overlook the most simple aspects of the game. Not all the time obviously but quite a bit.

Know how I feel what way? You could be referring to quite a bit there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say no.

tenor.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You asked what has JG done to contribute to the defense so I replied with if a HC doesn’t call plays for the defense or offense then he is not HC’ing material? That was a question for you.

So you're intentionally evading my question then? OK. Much like you were intentionally evading the fact that those "7-9" teams you want to criticize Payton for we're still among the league's best offensively. At least you're consistent.

As far as I know, there are several HC’is who don’t “contribute to the offense or defense” but are still highly regarded. IMOF, I’ve seen several coaches who call their own plays make some of the most, bone headed decisions because I think they often get so caught up in their play calling that they overlook the most simple aspects of the game. Not all the time obviously but quite a bit.

Know how I feel what way? You could be referring to quite a bit there.

Again, we're comparing him to Jason freakin' Garrett here.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
So you're intentionally evading my question then? OK. Much like you were intentionally evading the fact that those "7-9" teams you want to criticize Payton for we're still among the league's best offensively. At least you're consistent.

That should be his name from here on "Jason Freaking Garrett"!
He's the new JFK!
Except without the.. you know... the- that Dallas incident- DOH!
Cowboys!

Jason Freaking Garrett!!!

aria

Reaction score

Evading it? Are you that dense? JG has done nothing to contribute to the defense. It was an obvious answer and a stupid question so I went on to ask you why a HC has to directly contribute to offense or defense to be considered a good coach which is what you’re implying by your question and your constant blathering about points while ignoring other, more important facts like W’s and L’s.

Evaded the 7-9 teams had the best offenses? I’m pretty sure I already acknowledged they had some of the bet offenses but still had a losing record which further proved my pov that it doesn’t matter how many points a team scores if they have no balance and still continue to lose.

And again, I never said JG was better but you continue to imply I said that.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This is just for conversation purposes based on Jerry Jones' recent comments and some chatter that I've been hearing.

But how would you personally feel about the following scenario:

There are rumors that Drew Brees might call it quits after this season, especially if he and the Saints manage to win the Super Bowl. If that happened, word is that Sean Payton who look to leave the Saints organization as well. And rumor is that he still has a clause in his contract that he can void it upon any changes in ownership (which has occurred already given Tom Benson's passing).

Payton still has a home in Texas and his son plays high school ball here.

Speaking hypothetically at this point, but if Payton was the "opportunity" in the coming weeks that Jones was referring to, would you be for or against the idea of Payton returning to the Cowboys to coach this team?

Why don’t you walk around with $100,000 in cash and ask people if they would like to have it? You will get roughly the same responses.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I can't imagine the grounds on which someone would be against this.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Evading it? Are you that dense? JG has done nothing to contribute to the defense. It was an obvious answer and a stupid question so I went on to ask you why a HC has to directly contribute to offense or defense to be considered a good coach which is what you’re implying by your question and your constant blathering about points while ignoring other, more important facts like W’s and L’s.

Yeah, I'm the "dense" guy. You ignore everything that doesn't fit your preconceived agenda and I'm the dense one! No, the point is that Garrett is responsible for fixing neither the offense nor the defense. You want to criticize Payton for doing one thing well while we have a coach doing neither well. That doesn't make sense. And we already have a defense that played well for the most part.

Evaded the 7-9 teams had the best offenses? I’m pretty sure I already acknowledged they had some of the bet offenses but still had a losing record which further proved my pov that it doesn’t matter how many points a team scores if they have no balance and still continue to lose.

This team has the defense, so they wouldn't.

And again, I never said JG was better but you continue to imply I said that.

So don't tell me what you're not saying, tell me what you are saying. What's your point?

exciter

Reaction score
It certainly wouldn;t be because of diminishing skills. But he wouldn;t be the first guy to go out on top, on his terms, either. He's made hundreds of millions already, how much can someone need? And you can't buy time.

Bridgewater is a free agent after the season.

I don't deny that it's a far-fetched scenario for sure.
Yeah, I just dont see Payton walking away from where he has about as close to a guaranteed job for life as you can get in the NFL and he has full control of personal decisions to have Jerry up his a@@ and Dak as his qb!