Would you keep it as it is or blow it up?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some QB's are on their 2nd teams and making the playoffs. Meanwhile we just sit still and watch the world go by. DUMB.
Edit: I left out Jared Goff who was another QB who made the playoffs that’s playing for another team. He was part of the reason the Lions blew a big lead against San Francisco. The bottom line is the Cowboys aren’t going to win anything regardless the QB if the defense continues to falter in the playoffs.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My question is....Would you keep it as it is... patch it up and run it back? or would you rather blow it up and try to rebuild it back?

Scenario 1 - extend Dak and some other players, then try to sign some FA's, and of course the draft, and run it back, hoping for a better outcome?

Scenario 2 - trade off all your valuable pieces such as Dak, Micah, Diggs, Martin, and Lamb, I can easily see a 1st rounder for each of them except for Martin, that could be potentially 4-1st rounders and more, plus our own 1st rounder which translates to 5-1st rounders with the possibilty of trading down and acquiring more picks...can you imagine the haul of players we could potentially get?

I know the first thing someone will say is Dak has a no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure if you told him, we are blowing it up and the players above are going as well, I think he would waive the trade clause.

I doubt Jerry given his age would go for such a plan, but if we hit on some players in the draft with that haul, it might not take as long as you think, Jimmy did it in 3 years just trading Hershel.

Blast away
BOOM and don't look back...............but the GM is an old man without guts and knowledge on how to do a proper rebuild.

nobody

Reaction score
You may end up with a dud player with his #2 scenario. If you end up with a slightly less talented player how do you know they’ll have a lot of intestinal fortitude? To win championships you need highly talented players with a lot of intestinal fortitude. If you read the posts on this board, most of the fans wouldn’t have a clue how to build a championship team. Lol
The current players have shown three seasons in a row that they lack the intestinal fortitude to step up when it matters. You're all for bringing back the same failures time and again in hopes of some miracle just because of fear of the unknown? That's madness.

Kwyn

Reaction score
But to me, the future of the Cowboys rides with Dak's contract demands. If he is willing to take a contract that gives the team flexibility in the future and rewards him based on the performance of the team, I would give this current group another couple of years to see if they can climb over the next hurdle. But if Dak insists on being the top paid QB, with lots of guaranteed money, I think I have to make the decision now that the future will be a different group of players. I would hamstring my team with CAP problems if my QB is Patrick Mahomes, but Dak needs a team behind him and I cannot build that right if Dak is getting paid $60 million annually, or what will be $90 million a couple of years down the road.
The issue is that all players are trying to get paid the most they possible can. It’s not about “insisting”, as if that word has some negative connotation to it.

I mean, you’re not going to get an equal or better QB for much less and if you think that signing for 50 or 45 is going to somehow guarantee a superbowl then I’d like to know what “good but not great” player, not at Edge, CB or WR you’re going to get that will put us over the top.

I don’t really think Dak can get it done but I’m not convinced there’s a bunch of other dudes who I have that much more confidence in other than Mahomes. They all are either unproven or have their own faults.

I’d just blow it up and start over and see what happens.

The only way to get better and cheaper is to get lucky on a rookie and then winning it all in four years before they make 60 or 65 or 70 or whatever it is when their time comes.

No one is currently making 60 but which of these dudes, other than Mahomes, are significantly better than Dak or have accomplished a lot more than him?

Joe Burrow

cin.png
CIN
QB $55,000,000

Justin Herbert

lac.png
LAC
QB $52,500,000

Lamar Jackson

bal.png
BAL
QB $52,000,000

Jalen Hurts

phi.png
PHI
QB $51,000,000

Russell Wilson

den3.png
DEN
QB $48,517,647

Kyler Murray

ari.png
ARI
QB $46,100,000

Deshaun Watson

cle1.png
CLE
QB $46,000,000

Patrick Mahomes

kc1.png
KC
QB $45,000,000

Josh Allen

buf.png
BUF
QB $43,005,667

Matthew Stafford

lar.png
LAR
QB $40,000,000

Daniel Jones

nyg.png
NYG
QB $40,000,000

Dak Prescott

dal.png
DAL
QB $40,000,000

Derek Carr

no.png
NO
QB

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The reality answer is; whatever makes Jerry comfortable! Just look at the off season up til now. "We like our guys!" It doesn't matter what we want or what we would do.

Scenario #1 is the obvious one Jerry will undertake given that he already has shown his hand by keeping MM another year. And he likely would have kept DQ too if he had not gotten a HC job. So he was happy about running it back. He was in no mood to blow anything up. He will resign most of these players wanting an extension and will handcuff him for pursuing any blue chip talent in FA. So you will get the same as usual...draft and UDFA as source for player acquisition . So really, nothing has changed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The current players have shown three seasons in a row that they lack the intestinal fortitude to step up when it matters. You're all for bringing back the same failures time and again in hopes of some miracle just because of fear of the unknown? That's madness.
Madness is getting rid of your best players because of frustration. If fans like you ran the team the Cowboys would never make the playoffs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yay!!!!! When's the parade? Will baseball caps and t-shirts be available?
If you think moving on from Dak will bring the Cowboys closer to having a parade you’re just kidding yourself. When you come up with a QB that we can get who’s better let me know. :thumbup:

Kwyn

Reaction score
In Training camp, start telling all the players that if they perform in the season at all like the players did in the playoffs, they'll be in the next round of cuts and trades. We want no crybaby losers on the team.
This is an approach that just wouldn’t work in the real world.

No teams work this way and it’s a good way to make players across the league think you’re a team that’s mired in the past.

nobody

Reaction score
Madness is getting rid of your best players because of frustration. If fans like you ran the team the Cowboys would never make the playoffs.
And if people like you ran the team, we'd get the same thing we got the last 30 years. A lot of nothing in the playoffs. I'm not satisfied with only regular season success. It's a shame you are.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Colts traded a 2021 third round pick and a 2022 conditional first round pick for Wentz who had been terrible in Philly at the end and got benched. So it's not exactly a stretch that some team desperate for a vet QB might throw a first round pick at Dallas. Prescott has his flaws but he's a much better QB than Wentz was at the time Wentz got moved to Indy.
Do you believe it escaped the attention of all the FO’s in the NFL that Indianapolis regretted making that trade? Which team do you imagine is messed up enough to do a similar deal the Colts did for Wentz? It’s a huge “stretch”. And 1st round picks are a most valuable tool in the management of the salary cap, which every franchise must do to be successful. No one is trading a first round pick for any player 30 or over, and no one is going to trade better than a 4th round pick for a 30 year old that wants $50 million plus per season. Dak Prescott, even without a no trade clause, has little value in trade. There’s a difference between desperate for a QB and desperately stupid.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And if people like you ran the team, we'd get the same thing we got the last 30 years. A lot of nothing in the playoffs. I'm not satisfied with only regular season success. It's a shame you are.
Where did I say I’m satisfied? If it was up to some of you we wouldn’t have regular season success, which means we would be missing the playoffs. Name me a QB we can get that’s better than Dak and I’ll be happy to make a change. Problem is none of you can name a better QB we can get, you just want to roll the dice in the draft and hope.

MetalMike

Reaction score
I'd try to get a trade deal to a team Dak would accept. If he refused, I'd eat the cap hit from designating him a post June 1st cut, then trade several players if I could to try to get the corrupted lazy rot out of the team. This season's trades wouldn't be the last though. There's too many players to get rid of to get rid of the "We were tired" losers in one go and have a viable team. 2024 would be a designated sacrifice year because of Dak's stupid contract, but designating him a June 1 cut saves the most overall.

Then draft a QB in the first round, either with a traded draft spot or our own and start working on a rebuild. In Training camp, start telling all the players that if they perform in the season at all like the players did in the playoffs, they'll be in the next round of cuts and trades. We want no crybaby losers on the team.

I would bring in the players from the 90's team to speak often to the team during camp... teach them to see each other as brothers and friends and to spend time outside of football together.

It would likely take 2...maybe 3 seasons to build back to form but with a stronger culture. (This is all under the impossibility that Jerry would allow any of it.)
Jerry needs to suck it up, call Jimmy and consult him about constructing a Herschel Walker trade, V2. Give the Bears our #1 pick this year and next. Maybe also a #3. Give them 2-3 players (Trey Lance being one) that we do not need and whatever else that will entice them to go for it. Then select Jayden Daniels with the first pick. He's the real deal. We have some very good defensive players. They just aren't on the same page. Maybe Zimmer's scheme and attitude can whip them into shape.