Would you outright want to just get out of Dak's contract?

Chasing6

Reaction score
He can be cut, right now, and the Cowboys owe him nothing. Then find a new quarterback.
He can be cut, right now, and the Cowboys owe him nothing. Then find a new quarterback.
They don't have cap space do
Close.
At *this* point they're hoping Dak will agree to be traded.

That's been my interpretation all along. No contract plus depopulating the team of talent, particularly the oline, is an invitation to request to be traded.

They should tell Dak they're planning on drafting a QB.
Trade him for a 4th round pick.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the acquiring team was able to tag him after 24, and/or sign him to a reasonable extension at the time of the trade, Dallas may be able to get something for him.

Since it’s only one year, why would a team that isn’t yet ready to win give up anything of consequence?

Why would Prescott agree to pack up the family and move, then potentially have to do so a second time a year from now?

He isn’t going to be traded, and I doubt Jerry wants to do that. He just wants a discount this time because he feels like he lost last time.

The Joneses begin negotiations by telling the the media that “we haven’t thought about life without Dak,” then wonder why the agent won’t bend.

He would get 60 per on the open market, and he will end up with 55 per here and keep his endorsements. The Joneses will be up at the podium with smug victory smiles.

I worry about some of you when that day arrives. Mind you it’s not what I’d want to do, but I’ve been watching these two for too long, and they are quite predictable.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Close.
At *this* point they're hoping Dak will agree to be traded.

That's been my interpretation all along. No contract plus depopulating the team of talent, particularly the oline, is an invitation to request to be traded.

They should tell Dak they're planning on drafting a QB.
I will say this. The team views the season as a season of television, and television seasons need arcs. There needs to be a storyline, whether it be “all in” or whatever.

So for this season just running it back with less talent and giant raises to 3 guys doesn’t sell well. I could see them doing something big like drafting a qb round 1 or just flat out disrespecting Dak a bit hoping he asks for a trade .

If Micah would fetch you like two 1sts and Dak would get you a conditional 2nd I would do it and get someone like penix and start getting a. Deeper younger cheaper team

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
That's just way too accurate. W/o some trading away of valuable resources, I just don't see an answer to get out of this one.
I don’t cherish what they’re holding onto here.

I’m comfortable with the risk of drafting a bust and going 3-14

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Less than two weeks before day 1 of the draft; would Prescott waive the NTC if there's interest from Seattle or Denver?
Dak would not survive on another team because their "real general manager" would hold him accountable, and not coddle him like JJ. However, JJ might be looking at Dak sideways as of late.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's almost like they make it a habit to build teams that are conducive to good QB play.
And are too stupid to realize that. Jerry's teams are always QB dependent to a ridiculous degree due to poor roster construction. I'll never forget Romo get smacked at the snap because Jerry thought Costa was good. Ick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If the acquiring team was able to tag him after 24, and/or sign him to a reasonable extension at the time of the trade, Dallas may be able to get something for him.
Sign and trade seems the most likely trade scenario.

Conceivable that Dak would accept a 1 year trade to a better offense that needs a better QB.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak would not survive on another team because their "real general manager" would hold him accountable, and not coddle him like JJ. However, JJ might be looking at Dak sideways as of late.
Might be? At least you understand how you undermine your own narrative.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sign and trade seems the most likely trade scenario.

Conceivable that Dak would accept a 1 year trade to a better offense that needs a better QB.
That’s not going to happen.

Jerry doesn’t want to trade him, he just wants a discount this time because he lost last time and got limited ROI….and the only piece of leverage he holds is Dak no longer being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys, yet he can go elsewhere as the highest paid QB in history.

Prescott has no reason to accept a trade when he can hit the open market after this season, unless he is scared of injury, but has bet on himself before and will again and is probably highly insured against that.

It’s easy to see where this ends up. Jerry and kid don’t want to enter into a full rebuild. They would be humiliated and exposed. They get him for 55m a year instead of 60 and celebrate it. They will have a top heavy roster and the deep playoff drought will continue.

Jerry had better enjoy his extra billions because he isn’t getting his Super Bowl. Wonder if on his death bed he rethinks having the cheap kid run it all for the last decade or so. They blew two different windows of opportunity with Prescott.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Dallas has had a top QB for the last 19 years.

One was an UDFA and the other was a 4th round pick. I would and most would say that's very lucky.
Top QBs actually compete for conference championships and SBs. They don't blow 13-3 one seeds with one and done playoff exits.

We have not had a "top QB" since Aikman.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
I'm not saying I'm anxious to get rid of Dak but if you could get out of that contract with no cap hit heading into next year then it's almost a no-brainer.

Flamma

Reaction score
Since I believe it's time to move on, sure. And I don't believe Jerry is smart/saavy enough to trade him away now.
Don't put it past Dak to not want a trade. To play out the last year so that the Cowboys get nothing for him. You know, out of spite.