Would you outright want to just get out of Dak's contract?

Motorola

Reaction score
Your whole argument was that Raiders have Minshew and Prescott wont leave

Minshew is a back up and you yourself are saying he will leave

Make up your mind
The Raiders have both Gardner Minshew (signed last month) AND Aidan O'Connell who, as a rookie, became the starter when then interim HC Antonio Pierce benched Jimmy Garoppolo 6 games into last season. LV went 5-5 with O'Connell.
The now HC Pierce and new GM Tom Telesco said it will be an open competition for QB1 between the two in training camp.

Prescott I believe wants to remain with the Dallas Cowboys.
But there has been no extension done yet so far during the last year of his current contract.
If Jones & Jones don't offer Prescott a deal he and his agent France want before the 2024-25 season is over with, then the QB becomes a free agent.
Prescott can then talk to any team interested in him.
After letting him hit FA, will the Cowboys attempt to keep him by outbidding any other teams efforts?
If they do, Prescott remains in Dallas.
If they don't, then the QB goes to another NFL city that will give him the best deal.

Bottom line - whatever happens with Prescott - he's not going to the Raiders. Period.

Last edited:

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
If Dak gets injured this season and misses a bunch of games, then things really get interesting.

morat1959

Reaction score
LV signed FA Gardner Minshew last month (2-year, $25 million, $15 million guaranteed) to compete with incumbent Aidan O'Connell -last season's starter as a rookie - for QB1.
New GM Tom Telesco and new HC Antonio Pierce haven't ruled out using their #13 pick to select a rookie QB - whether possibly packaging it with other picks to move up in the top 5, or trading down to pick up an extra 2nd rounder and choose a QB with it.
Or - standing pat and picking one of top two corners at 13.
Whatever they do --- Prescott will be no part of the Raiders' plans in 2024.
Well let’s hope there’s another team dumb enough to give up a 1 for him.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I honestly would prefer they just trade him. Get whatever you can get. Draft a QB this year, have them compete with Lance in training camp
And pre season.

morat1959

Reaction score
That is never going to happen. Cowboys fans need to move beyond the “trade Dak” scenario. No one is giving up significant draft capital for Dak with one more season left on his contract. He’s going to be a free agent. Why is that so difficult to accept?
Because we want to get on with the process of getting rid of this bum and bringing in another QB. Why is that so difficult to understand?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If Dak gets injured this season and misses a bunch of games, then things really get interesting.
Like Kirk Cousins? Age 36 by the start of the season, coming off a torn Achilles, gets $100 million guaranteed. Jalen Hurts, 26 with a Super Bowl appearance has $129 million guaranteed. Dak Prescott, even if he gets badly injured, is going to sign for more than either of those guys with more guaranteed. No matter how much many Cowboys fans wish it, bad things are not going to happen to Dak Prescott. He’ll do just fine. He’s playing well, his representation has him in a good negotiating posture, he’s doing what a professional football player is supposed to do. His detractors are just going to have to reconcile with that.

Motorola

Reaction score
I went over to 'The Landry Hat' earlier today and came across an article titled "4 teams Dak Prescott could leave the Cowboys for next offseason".
4. Seahawks
3. Broncos
2. Giants
1. Patriots

Flamma

Reaction score
I think they'll give up a 1 +. We all know what QB starved teams are willing to give up. They'll give up a lot just for a competent QB. The Daniel Jones signing is a good example of the lengths they're willing to go.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think they'll give up a 1 +. We all know what QB starved teams are willing to give up. They'll give up a lot just for a competent QB. The Daniel Jones signing is a good example of the lengths they're willing to go.
There will be no trade. It would have already happened.

Flamma

Reaction score
I went over to 'The Landry Hat' earlier today and came across an article titled "4 teams Dak Prescott could leave the Cowboys for next offseason".
4. Seahawks
3. Broncos
2. Giants
1. Patriots
I find those 4 choices interesting. Why not Tampa?

Both the Giants and Broncos will have significant QB dead caps next year. Assuming Wilson is a June first cut, 40+ million. Jones 22 million. If the Giants OL protects Dak like they do Jones, what do you think will be the result?

Seahawks could do it. But I have no idea why the Patriots would be on that list. I think they're drafting a QB at pick 3.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Both the Giants and Broncos will have significant QB dead caps next year. Assuming Wilson is a June first cut, 40+ million. Jones 22 million. If the Giants OL protects Dak like they do Jones, what do you think will be the result?

Seahawks could do it. But I have no idea why the Patriots would be on that list. I think they're drafting a QB at pick 3.
Maybe there will be a surprise in the draft, someone trades back and waits for Dak to be a FA.

Motorola

Reaction score
Because we want to get on with the process of getting rid of this bum and bringing in another QB. Why is that so difficult to understand?
'morat1959' - what 'KingCorcoran' means is moving Prescott off the Cowboys by TRADING him is highly unlikely to happen now.

Even if the QB waives the no- trade clause so his agent can
field offers (with the Cowboys permission), Dallas is going to request 2 or 3 significant draft picks in return (say no. 2 & 4 this year, plus a no. 3 next year).
What 'KingCorcoran' is stating the team(s) wanting Prescott's won't do that. They will just wait until the QB hits free agency in 2025...then all they have to do is just work out a deal. That will mean Prescott's new team will only have to send the Cowboys a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2026.
The "process" to get the QB of the roster now as you want, would have to be just cutting him (and absorb the cap/dead money ramifications).

Now you could counter a team that wants Prescott bad enough to want to avoid a bidding war next spring will gladly fork over the picks the Cowboys want.
If there's a team out there (say Seattle, Denver) will do it -- then they need to Cowboys FO and Prescott's agent to get together and waive the NTC.

Flamma

Reaction score
Maybe there will be a surprise in the draft, someone trades back and waits for Dak to be a FA.
That would be too risky. But it's something to look for. No team would do that unless they had prior knowledge that Dak would be an FA.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Without Dak Prescott there will be no team more “starved” for a quarterback than the Dallas Cowboys. No one is giving up a 1+.

Motorola

Reaction score

In that same article states the Giants GM has all but said Jones is gone after 2024 - no more guaranteed money for the remaining years of his contract.
And l keep seeing the Patriots don't want to pick at 3 --- NE prefers to trade down and let another team pick one of those QBs projected to go in the top 5.
Tampa is intriguing...but I was thinking what a splash it would be if Prescott returned to his home state Louisana to finish out his career with the Saints -- but they have FOUR QBs on the roster already (just signed Kellen Mond today).

Flamma

Reaction score
Without Dak Prescott there will be no team more “starved” for a quarterback than the Dallas Cowboys. No one is giving up a 1+.
Of course they'll give up a 1 plus. They gave that up for Carson Wentz. It's not going to matter. I think Jerry will extend Dak before the season.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
'morat1959' - what 'KingCorcoran' means is moving Prescott off the Cowboys by TRADING him is highly unlikely to happen now.

Even if the QB waives the no- trade clause so his agent can
field offers (with the Cowboys permission), Dallas is going to request 2 or 3 significant draft picks in return (say no. 2 & 4 this year, plus a no. 3 next year).
What 'KingCorcoran' is stating the team(s) wanting Prescott's won't do that. They will just wait until the QB hits free agency in 2025...then all they have to do is just work out a deal. That will mean Prescott's new team will only have to send the Cowboys a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2026.
The "process" to get the QB of the roster now as you want, would have to be just cutting him (and absorb the cap/dead money ramifications).

Now you could counter a team that wants Prescott bad enough to want to avoid a bidding war next spring will gladly fork over the picks the Cowboys want.
If there's a team out there (say Seattle, Denver) will do it -- then they need to Cowboys FO and Prescott's agent to get together and waive the NTC.
When a player is an unrestricted free agent he is in a position to get the most compensation possible at that point in time. At the same time, the team that signs him is getting him at the least possible compensation possible at that point in time. It may be a lot of money, but they are assured it’s not a guess. They won’t be paying more than they had to. If their first offer is rejected they can raise it until it’s only as high as it has to be. (see Watson/Cleveland). Dak’s free agency serves him, but it also serves the team that signs him. The frustrating part is after nine years, and paying him substantial money, and not enjoying the success they’d hoped, Dak leaves and except for a compensatory picked awarded by the league in the back end of the 3rd round of the 2026 draft the Cowboys are left with a big hole at quarterback. Rush and Lance are not the answer. Look at what Carson Wentz has accomplished in the NFL compared to those two and he’s backing up Mahomes in Kansas City. Dak is what the Cowboys have and they face losing him or guessing what he’s worth as a free agent and offering it now. Hating him is pointless. His detractors here are like a man walking alone in a graveyard at night. He makes a lot of noise so he doesn’t think about how scared he is.

Flamma

Reaction score
In that same article states the Giants GM has all but said Jones is gone after 2024 - no more guaranteed money for the remaining years of his contract.
And l keep seeing the Patriots don't want to pick at 3 --- NE prefers to trade down and let another team pick one of those QBs projected to go in the top 5.
Tampa is intriguing...but I was thinking what a splash it would be if Prescott returned to his home state Louisana to finish out his career with the Saints -- but they have FOUR QBs on the roster already (just signed Kellen Mond today).
I also thought of the Saints. But they signed Carr for a ridiculous amount of money. Maybe some time in the future, but they have zero chance to pick up Dak next year with the cap and dead cap implications.

Daniel Jones don't have guaranteed money after 2024, but he will be a 22M dead cap. Me personally, I think the Giants might be drafting a QB in the first round.

You could be right about the Patriots. They might not like Drake Maye. A good strategy could be to get a haul for the 3rd overall pick, tank 2024, and be in position to get a top QB in the 2025 draft.

I'm definitely taking off on draft night. This is going to be good to see what happens.