Would you trade 24 for Patrick Surtain?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's worth the pick. People will focus on 1 cheap year of PS2 vs 4 cheap years of a rook. I see it as one cheap season of top 5 CB play, vs 4 years of a rookie that has a 50-50 chance of busting, probably won't be ready until 2025, and probably won't be as good as Surtain anyway.

I just don't think we can swing it from a cap perspective. We've already got Diggs eating up $20M a year at CB, I don't think we can afford another $20M running mate.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's worth the pick.
You did see the terms of a proposed deal with SF?

San Francisco 49ers receive: CB Patrick Surtain II
Denver Broncos receive: 2024 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), 2024 second-round pick (No. 63 overall), 2024 third-round pick (No. 94 overall)

You would be willing to give up our first 3 draft picks for a CB? That means the Cowboys wouldn't be drafting until the 5th round.

TheHerd

Reaction score
SF will end up with him and of course he’ll be a stud there. Maybe enough to get them over the Mahommes riddle. That’s the beauty of a first contract QB and and an aggressive, win now front office.

Motorola

Reaction score
100%

Our #24 would be a nice foundation for the trade... but more would be needed.

The SF proposed trade is more realistic: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

But our 1st is higher. So maybe 24th pick this year, a 3rd this year, and a 3rd next year would get it done. Maybe.

It's hilarious: whenever the Zaney Zoners in here propose trades for OUR players, it's "hey Mazi sucks, let's trade him to the Bears for the #1 overall pick. They need a DT". But when it's us trading for a player, it's "hey let's get Mahomes, we'll give KC Pollard and a 2nd. They need a scatback"
I will mention one actual scenario here at CZ.
Cowboys last August traded their 2024 4th round pick for Trey Lance, with two years left on his rookie contract.
Designated the Emergency QB for the 2023 season - the player didn't get into any game at all.
Now - there are a few members here that think the Cowboys can trade Lance - with now only a single year left on his deal - for a 4th rounder.
One CZer even named a team that the Cowboys could get a 3rd round pick in exchange...as if that team deems Lance could be their starting QB this upcoming season.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You did see the terms of a proposed deal with SF?

San Francisco 49ers receive: CB Patrick Surtain II
Denver Broncos receive: 2024 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), 2024 second-round pick (No. 63 overall), 2024 third-round pick (No. 94 overall)

You would be willing to give up our first 3 draft picks for a CB? That means the Cowboys wouldn't be drafting until the 5th round.
The original ask was would we give up #24.

There are a number of posters who said they absolute would not. That #24 was too much or more valuable to the Cowboys than Surtain.

I responded that absolutely, #24 was a no brainer, but also that it wouldn’t be enough. If you’re asking now would we give up the entire top end of our draft for him, then the answer would be no.

Again though, most fans always value their own picks and players higher than they should.

Proof

Reaction score
i’m kinda surprised. i’d trade 24 in a new york minute

Cowboy06

Professional Positive Naysayer
Reaction score
no. need DTs and LBs. We need to find a way to get Jerry and his merry men to understand that. Stop with the splash...and just get the DL and OL in place along with depth.

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
How is he helping us stop the run? How many wins is he adding to this team? How does he close the gap with Baltimore, San Fran, kc, buffalo…

He’s a great player at a position we don’t really need desperately and he’s gonna need a monster deal
The real question is whether or not he is better than Bland because we can always trade bland and still upgrade. The option now is extending bland which is meh.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes..............considering how our F/O has been on a roll lately.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I prefer we keep our guys. That deal doesn't make us better. We need to improve our ability to stop the run.