Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950241 said:
You dont ask the right questions. Its not about what player you will draft or when you will draft him. Its about making a good deal. And Romo for the #1 pick is a great deal.

Everything you bring in are valid points but they blind you because they are probabilities you cant control. Still the deal itself stays great. So you go for it. This is how winning works.

I'm asking the right questions you just don't have any answers. You just claimed you would trade Romo AND our #! and that it would be a really good deal for us. If you're going to make that trade you have to have a plan on what you're going to do with the #1 overall pick once you secure it. You don't just give up your top 10 QB AND your #1 without a player targeted with the pick.

So what's your plan to trade down and acquire more picks? You can't make a bold move for the #1 overall pick then once you get it start scratching your head wondering what you're going to do with it. Stop dodging the question and lets hear your plan and the player or players you have targeted.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950239 said:
In short because i am lazy:

Romo: 4 years of good QB play left
Drafted QB: 8 years of good QB play left

Who's the QB you plan on drafting and where approximately do you plan on drafting him? You only expect to get 8 good years out of them? :cool:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950239 said:
We get for Romo + 18th the #1 pick: 18th=900 points; #1=3000 points -> Romos value = 2100 points.

We pick a player who plays 8 years for 3000 points for a player that plays 4 years for 2100 points. Thats 8/4 = 2 compared to 3000/2100 = 3/2 = 1.5

So we get a value of 2 and deal a value of 1.5.

:rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950241 said:
Everything you bring in are valid points but they blind you because they are probabilities you cant control. Still the deal itself stays great. So you go for it. This is how winning works.

Everything I've pointed out is probable if Romo was traded. I know from studying the Cowboys they won't be worth a crap without a top 10 QB. They wouldn't have near the offensive production without Romo because most of it is through the air. The Cowboys only had 8 rushing TD's last season and ranked 31st running the ball. What you're pointing out is nothing more than some calculations you've come up with.

When you draft a player no one knows how many years of good play you'll get out of them if any. It depends on the player and the position. No one knows how their health will hold up so estimating how many years of good play you'll get out of them is silly.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950241 said:
You dont ask the right questions. Its not about what player you will draft or when you will draft him. Its about making a good deal. And Romo for the #1 pick is a great deal.

There are alot of people who think different. And i think they are right.

Dude.. just put him on you're ignore list and save some time. Otherwise you will be pointlessly arguing with the 40 year old virgin for several pages.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ufcrules1;4950370 said:
Dude.. just put him on you're ignore list and save some time. Otherwise you will be pointlessly arguing with the 40 year old virgin for several pages.

Seeing he can't answer any of the questions how about you providing the answers. How is trading Romo and our #1 pick for the #1 overall pick a real good deal for us? He thinks it's a great deal because he's basing it all on points.

He's saying Romo value is worth 2100 points and our #1 pick is worth X amount of points and the #1 overall pick is worth XX amount of points so when you add it all up we'll be getting 500 value points in the deal then we can start figuring out what to purchase with our points. :laugh2:

A great deal for you would be just to let Romo walk at the end of his contract and go with Orton or some other scrub that's on the streets. As long as Romo is gone you'll be happy regardless who the QB is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950239 said:
I ve already done that in another thread. You can do that on your own - its simple math:

Just count the draft value of all picks. Then compare them to the years you get out of the QB you will draft for the overall #1 pick (without any risk accounted) compared to the years Romo has left in him and the points we will get to him in return. You will see that we will get alot more for Romo that he will give us throu playing time in return.

So you'll be drafting a QB with the #1 overall pick? :cool: While you were doing all your math did you fail to realize that according to most draft experts there won't be a QB in this draft worth the #1 overall pick? If there was don't you think KC would keep the pick and draft a QB instead of making a trade for a soon to be 33 year old QB who with your brilliant calculations has 4 good years left? Listening to fans here you would think Romo doesn't have any good years left.

If you take a QB with the #1 overall pick you'll not only be taking a huge risk but it would be a terrible value pick based on the QB ratings for the top QB's that will be available as of right now. You're claiming we'll get lot more for Romo than he will give us through playing time. How do you know how much playing time if any you'll get out of his replacement that you'll be reaching for in the draft?

You'll be trading a proven top 10 NFL QB for a college QB who may end up being a flop. You calculated in another post you'll get 8 good years out of Romo's replacement is that so? So the QB we take with the #1 overall pick will be done by 30???....Ooookay! lol You're coming to conclusions like that based on value points? :rolleyes: Your calculations may work if you're collecting points shopping for electronics but they're nothing more than wild guesses when it comes to the NFL draft.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TwentyOne;4950228 said:
I already posted an example where i showed that trading Romo for the #7 and #50 pick would be a really good deal for us. Now thats around 2000 draft points. The #1 pick counts for 3000.

I wouldn't mind making a deal with you. :laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Trading Romo plus our #1 is a none starter. Trading Romo for the #1 is a no brainer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951063 said:
Trading Romo plus our #1 is a none starter. Trading Romo for the #1 is a no brainer.

So once you have the #1 overall pick do you have a player targeted with the pick or do you plan on trading down for more picks? If you plan on trading down what players do you have targeted? You can't just trade for the pick without having a solid plan on what player or players to take.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951081 said:
So once you have the #1 overall pick do you have a player targeted with the pick or do you plan on trading down for more picks? If you plan on trading down what players do you have targeted? You can't just trade for the pick without having a solid plan on what player or players to take.

I have a strategy targeted, which I have explained earlier in this thread but yes, if I had to take a player with the 1st pick, which I seriously doubt would be the case, yes.

However, since I am not the organization, it is not incumbent upon me to have a player or players picked. That's the teams responsibility. I have to guess that you are just screwing around here yeah? You seriously can not be asking me in a serious manner if I have players picked right? Surely, you know that the Cowboys have a board and will have players evaluated right?

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951110 said:
I have a strategy targeted, which I have explained earlier in this thread but yes, if I had to take a player with the 1st pick, which I seriously doubt would be the case, yes.

However, since I am not the organization, it is not incumbent upon me to have a player or players picked. That's the teams responsibility. I have to guess that you are just screwing around here yeah? You seriously can not be asking me in a serious manner if I have players picked right? Surely, you know that the Cowboys have a board and will have players evaluated right?

I don't think he was screwing around. I thought this was hypothetical as if we were "the organization". Which would make you responsible to decide how to use the pick once acquired or move forward with Romo. Right?

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

Yes I would & I wouldn't draft a QB (I would get one later in draft) I'd get the best player available & try to trade for Alex Smith. Finally, I'd get Norv as my OC (Smith played well with Norv).

ufcrules1

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951063 said:

This. I don't know where people got the whole trade Romo + our #1 pick. The question I remember is "Would you trade Romo to the Chiefs for their #1 pick? The answer to me is yes, while he still has value to an organization who hasn't had a decent QB in many years and is desperate. Then I would use that pick and our 1st round pick as well as our next 2 picks to fortify our trenches and possibly add a safety.

Then roll with Orton for 1 year and look for a QB in the 2014 draft. Romo isn't going to last forever and what good is he here if he can't be trusted in big games? He literally gave away the Commanders game by himself.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
respectdatstar;4951122 said:
I don't think he was screwing around. I thought this was hypothetical as if we were "the organization". Which would make you responsible to decide how to use the pick once acquired or move forward with Romo. Right?

If that's the case, then yes. I obviously have players who I think are fits for our organization but the reality is that we would have to wait till after the Combine before we could realistically finalize any player evaluations or rank players at all.

However, if we traded the pick, my intention would be to trade down and acquire more picks with an eye towards securing an additional 1st round pick in the 2014 draft. I would anticipate that this upcoming year, we would have to play with Orton or whomever we might go out and sign. I would use this draft to fix both lines. I would probably franchise Spencer, would sign quality help at NT and would fix our Safety situation. Without Romo at QB, you would have to think that our 2014 draft pick would be a very good one.

By 2014, I would make my best play to draft Clowney and trade Spencer. With the Cap I saved, I would go out and sign a good FA QB and would draft a future QB. That would allow us to extend Ware's career and bring in his replacement.

Our cap situation would be much improved, we would be in a position to sign quality FAs for several years out. We would be strong on both sides of the line and ready to compete for a Championship for years to come.

We would not be cap strapped, stalling the inevitable and waiting for age and cap to slowly kill us. It would not leave us in a position where we would have to rebuild everywhere in two or three seasons. It would not force us to try and sign an FA QB who we would have to pay too much for and basically kill ourselves before we ever had a chance to compete for a championship again.

That is what I would do if I had the chance to trade Romo for the number 1 pick.

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951153 said:
If that's the case, then yes. I obviously have players who I think are fits for our organization but the reality is that we would have to wait till after the Combine before we could realistically finalize any player evaluations or rank players at all.

However, if we traded the pick, my intention would be to trade down and acquire more picks with an eye towards securing an additional 1st round pick in the 2014 draft. I would anticipate that this upcoming year, we would have to play with Orton or whomever we might go out and sign. I would use this draft to fix both lines. I would probably franchise Spencer, would sign quality help at NT and would fix our Safety situation. Without Romo at QB, you would have to think that our 2014 draft pick would be a very good one.

By 2014, I would make my best play to draft Clowney and trade Spencer. With the Cap I saved, I would go out and sign a good FA QB and would draft a future QB. That would allow us to extend Ware's career and bring in his replacement.

Our cap situation would be much improved, we would be in a position to sign quality FAs for several years out. We would be strong on both sides of the line and ready to compete for a Championship for years to come.

We would not be cap strapped, stalling the inevitable and waiting for age and cap to slowly kill us. It would not leave us in a position where we would have to rebuild everywhere in two or three seasons. It would not force us to try and sign an FA QB who we would have to pay too much for and basically kill ourselves before we ever had a chance to compete for a championship again.

That is what I would do if I had the chance to trade Romo for the number 1 pick.

In your scenario, did we have to surrender our own 1st or was it simply Romo for #1 overall?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951110 said:

I'm not screwing around I'm asking serious questions the ones screwing around are the fans who can't provide any logical answers. If it's a no brainer as you put it to trade Romo for the #1 overall pick then you should have a player or players in mind at that pick that would make moving on from your franchise QB worth the risk. I'm putting the GM cap on you seeing you would make the trade. It's apparent you and several others just want to trade Romo for the #1 overall pick and allow the team to figure out what to do with it. It's obvious none of you have even studied the draft to see if it would be worth having the #1 overall pick this year. If a 2-14 team like KC is willing to trade out of the #1 overall spot that's a clear indication it's not a spot worth being in this year.

If a 2-14 team is willing to trade the #1 overall pick for Romo then maybe he's worth a lot more to the Cowboys than some of you think he is. If trading down from the #1 overall spot and acquiring draft picks would be the smart move then don't you think KC would do that? You trade Romo you leave a huge hole at QB that you may not be able to fill for years. Next season the Cowboys would have no chance of competing against Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and some of the other QB's they'll be facing. Kyle Orton would have no shot of winning a shootout against those QB's.

You simply can't move on from Romo until you have a very capable QB that gives you a chance to compete every Sunday. Not one player you add to the team will make that big a difference if you don't have a franchise QB who can move your offense. KC is a 2-14 team according to Charley Casserly because they don't have a QB who can play. He claimed they'll be a playoff team with a QB that can play that's how critical having a solid QB is. The Cowboys could very well be where KC is next season without Romo. The plan for some is just to go with Orton for a year as a stopgap as if the Cowboys will have their pick of franchise QB's after next season. :rolleyes:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
respectdatstar;4951170 said:
In your scenario, did we have to surrender our own 1st or was it simply Romo for #1 overall?

I would not trade Romo and our #1. I would trade Romo for the #1. If you trade Romo and the #1, you are probably only gaining a couple of 2nd round value picks for a Top 5 or 10 QB. That's not a good deal.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
MWILL;4951127 said:
Yes I would & I wouldn't draft a QB (I would get one later in draft) I'd get the best player available & try to trade for Alex Smith.

Yeah let's replace Romo with Alex Smith and give up a draft pick to do it. :rolleyes:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951172 said:
I'm not screwing around I'm asking serious questions the ones screwing around are the fans who can't provide any logical answers. If it's a no brainer as you put it to trade Romo for the #1 overall pick then you should have a player or players in mind at that pick that would make moving on from your franchise QB worth the risk. I'm putting the GM cap on you seeing you would make the trade. It's apparent you and several others just want to trade Romo for the #1 overall pick and allow the team to figure out what to do with it. It's obvious none of you have even studied the draft to see if it would be worth having the #1 overall pick this year. If a 2-14 team like KC is willing to trade out of the #1 overall spot that's a clear indication it's not a spot worth being in this year.
I would be happy to discuss player options with you but you will agree that it is not yet time to do this correct? The combine has not taken place. You can not evaluate players until that process is completed.

What you elect to deem "Apparent" is baseless. I have asked you this multiple times and you have elected not to answer so far as I can tell. What happens if Romo decides not to restructure and he simply plays out his contact? What then?

If KC decided to trade their #1 pick in exchange for a proven QB, it would not mean the draft is weak or that it would not be worth having the top pick. It would mean that KC did not like it's chances of getting a QB that could lead them to a playoff or championship in the near future. Those are two very different things but by all means, you go ahead and tell us what you think you know about the draft.

If a 2-14 team is willing to trade the #1 overall pick for Romo then maybe he's worth a lot more to the Cowboys than some of you think he is. If trading down from the #1 overall spot and acquiring draft picks would be the smart move then don't you think KC would do that? You trade Romo you leave a huge hole at QB that you may not be able to fill for years. Next season the Cowboys would have no chance of competing against Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and some of the other QB's they'll be facing. Kyle Orton would have no shot of winning a shootout against those QB's.
No, I don't think KC would do that because KC has good talent on both sides of he ball but they don't have a QB. They need a QB that is ready to play now. They don't need more young players who will sit behind good young players and go to FA in a few years before ever seeing the field.

You simply can't move on from Romo until you have a very capable QB that gives you a chance to compete every Sunday. Not one player you add to the team will make that big a difference if you don't have a franchise QB who can move your offense. KC is a 2-14 team according to Charley Casserly because they don't have a QB who can play. He claimed they'll be a playoff team with a QB that can play that's how critical having a solid QB is. The Cowboys could very well be where KC is next season without Romo. The plan for some is just to go with Orton for a year as a stopgap as if the Cowboys will have their pick of franchise QB's after next season. :rolleyes:
I ask you again, what happens if Romo decides to play out his contract and wait to see what his options are in 2014? If that happens, do you think we can win a bidding War? How sure are you that we can? If we don't, where are we with QB then and what is your plan to get us a "franchise QB" then?