Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DFWJC;4951508 said:
Oh, I agree.
I was just backing up your point.

I just think they are decent JAGS, no more, no less.

I did add a little more to my last comment that Smith's stock would be much higher than Orton's. Most teams would take Smith over Orton without having to think about it based on his play last season.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Why does it have to be a draft day trade? I don't get the importance of that versus another trade. There are lots of next years first round picks traded. Probably 1 per year. Julio jones was a recent one. Mark Ingram another. Joe staley ended up as a 49er because of a similar trade.

What the whole discussion is about is how close are the Cowboys to winning with our age, talent, and cap to winning a championship?. I think we could get Really lucky but I would bet on retooling around our under 30 talent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951375 said:
No, I'm not trying to put you on that big a spot I'm just asking what players do you have targeted in the draft if you had the #1 overall pick.

Star Lotulelei would be very high on my board at this point. I like John Cooper and Eric Fisher. I like Jessie Williams, I like a lot of players that could fall in the top 10. It depends on who we might trade with and how far down. It's silly to talk about this at this point because you have no idea what the possible trade options in the unlikely event this trade ever happened

Name the 4 aging QB's who you claim changed teams later in their careers where it was "their" decision to do so? QB's who change teams later in their careers are doing so because the team they're currently on is looking to move on from them ether due to age and declining performance or due to an injury like with Brees and Peyton Manning. No team moves on from their starting QB who's still playing at a high level and is healthy.

Good Lord, are to lazy to even do that? Really? Brett Farve moved on to Minnesota for one. Manning did it. Of course you will say he was injured but I will say that this was never the stipulation but no matter. Cleary, he was not injured as evidenced by this season. Drew Brees did it. Cutler did it and that's just off the top of my head.

Of course there's no proof it's all speculation based on Romo's age and the stage he is in his career.

I know there's no proof but whats worse is that there is not even a lot of good logic behind your position. There's nothing at all other then what you want to happen.

He'll get paid well for 3 years leaving the Cowboys with an option to move on after that. They certainly won't sign him to a 5 year guaranteed deal no team will at 34 years old.

Why would he do that? Why would he settle for getting paid well for 3 years when he could get a contract that could see him getting paid better and for a longer period of time with more Guaranteed Money?

They have a couple of veteran QB's they need a young stud like RG3 or Andrew Luck unfortunately unless this draft holds a diamond in the rough they won't be able to acquire one. No team is going to use the #1 overall pick on a soon to be 33 year old QB.

They certainly could if that's the guy that can win them a Championship.

There's no guarantee but the odds are real good based on his age. No team is going to pay a ransoms fee for a 34 year old QB not named Peyton Manning. If Romo doesn't play well in 2013 his stock goes way down making it easier for the Cowboys to sign him. It's going to be a risk allowing him to play out his contract but not nearly as big a risk as trading him and having to try and find his replacement.

Again, this is just speculation on your part and it's not even based on fact. This has happened before and before you say show me, save it. It has happened before, if you are unaware, educate yoursellf. It does happen.

Knowing Jerry if he feels Romo is the best option for his team at QB after the 2013 season he'll do whatever it takes to sign Romo. It's going to be a lot easier finding a way to sign Romo than it would be to try and find his replacement who may not be out there for quite some time to come.

But would that be the best thing? Would signing Romo at all costs be the best thing for us? I am not convinced of this at all. I don't want two years with limited cap space. I want to be in a better situation then that.

I have a plan and it's safe it keeps the Cowboys competitive until they find Romo's replacement. My plan keeps the Cowboys from ending up like they did from 2000 to 05. My plan isn't going to leave the Cowboys without a top 10 QB.

Your plan has no guarantee that you can keep Romo. Your plan depends on us being able to develop a QB in how long? Your plan is not a plan. It's a hope and wish that Romo is stupid and I don't believe he is.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ufcrules1;4951145 said:
This. I don't know where people got the whole trade Romo + our #1 pick. The question I remember is "Would you trade Romo to the Chiefs for their #1 pick?

If you do some reading you'll see that one fan said it would take Romo and the Cowboys #18 to pull off the trade with KC for the #1 overall pick. Another fan chimed in and said he would do that trade and that it would be a real good deal for the Cowboys. That's one of the same fans I was arguing with that you were defending. :laugh2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951469 said:
I'm not trying to make it the entire discussion you're the one who brought up trading down and acquiring a future #1 in 2014. The trades you brought up weren't draft day trades which is what I was referring to. I haven't ignored any of your questions I've given detailed answers to all of them.

They don't have to be draft day trades. They could be a Trade for a #1 this year and next (which would actually work out to a 2nd in value). The whole draft day thing is something you have in your head. However, it's very possible that the trade down could also produce a 1 in 2014. That's not unheard of. We traded a 1st round pick and multiple lower picks for TD. We traded a QB Steve Walsh, to New Orleans for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd which turned into Russel Maryland, Dixon Edward, Godfrey Miles and Erik Williams. I mean, it does happen.

First of all I'm no cap expert. If the Cowboys or Romo decides to play of his contract and they lose him then it's obvious Jerry didn't think he was worth keeping. Then the Cowboys would be stuck without a capable QB like they were when Aikman was released. There would be no other plan but to go with Orton and bring in whatever scrubs there are on the street to compete with him.

Has nothing to do with what Jerry thinks of Romo. Has everything to do with our cap situation. We simply may not have the Cap Space to sign him. You can't just think that all you need to do is sign Romo. We need to have enough money to sign everybody. If we take care of our Cap situation now, we don't have to worry about dead space or not having enough money to go out and sign a decent QB. If we take advantage of our situation now, we could rebuild now and be ready to draft a good prospect in the next year or two. That could absolutely happen.

If I owned the Cowboys I would have been preparing for life without Romo a couple of years ago by taking fliers in the 2nd and 3rd round on QB's. Trust me on this if Romo plays out his contract and Jerry doesn't like what's out there at QB he'll do whatever he has to do to resign Romo...guaranteed!

But if you did that, you probably wouldn't have guys like Carter or Lee on the team now.

He knows he'll lose with Orton and is bound to start seeing ticket sales drop if things get worse for the team than what we've seen the past 2 seasons. Kyle Orton, Colt McCoy or whatever other stiffs that are out there after 2013 aren't going to get butts in the seats and neither are 4-12 seasons. Romo will be resigned!

He may lose for a season or two but what are we really doing now? We aren't making the playoffs. We aren't contending for championships. So we lose for a few seasons, maybe. In the long run, we would be way better off and we placed to contend for a long time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
Good Lord, are to lazy to even do that? Really? Brett Farve moved on to Minnesota for one. Manning did it. Of course you will say he was injured but I will say that this was never the stipulation but no matter. Cleary, he was not injured as evidenced by this season. Drew Brees did it. Cutler did it and that's just off the top of my head.

Favre moved on to Minn because the Jets didn't want him anymore. He didn't play well the one season he was in NY he tossed the same number of picks as TD's. Plus he was being indecisive about his future and that put the Jets off. He asked for his release knowing they weren't all that committed to him and they did it willingly. As for Manning he was released because he was injured and there was a risk so Indy let him go knowing they had Andrew Luck waiting for them with the #1 overall pick.

As for Culter he was traded because he and Josh McDaniel's had a falling out. They couldn't repair their relationship and Cutler wanted out. Denver didn't have much choice so they traded him. It resulted in wasting a #1 on Tebow and having to go after Peyton Manning.

ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
I know there's no proof but whats worse is that there is not even a lot of good logic behind your position. There's nothing at all other then what you want to happen.

There's plenty of logic behind my position and I've detailed it. There's certainly no logic behind your position because it leaves the Cowboys with a scrub at QB. Jerry already has issues with the offense he's not about to leave his team in the hands of Kyle Orton and make matters worse.

ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
Why would he do that? Why would he settle for getting paid well for 3 years when he could get a contract that could see him getting paid better and for a longer period of time with more Guaranteed Money?

At 34 he won't get a guaranteed long-term deal from anyone. Any contract he's offered is going to leave the team an option. The Cowboys would pay him very well for 3 years with an option. If you think anyone is going to guarantee him big money until he's pushing 40 you're kidding yourself.

ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
They certainly could if that's the guy that can win them a Championship.

You honestly believe the Chiefs think a QB like Romo who chokes repeatedly in elimination games is a guy that can win them a championship? :cool: It's not like they don't know his history. The only reason he would be traded is because the Cowboys don't think he's capable of winning a championship.

ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
Again, this is just speculation on your part and it's not even based on fact. This has happened before and before you say show me, save it. It has happened before, if you are unaware, educate yoursellf. It does happen.

I can't recall any situation where a starting QB who was playing at a "high level" was traded strictly because their team couldn't afford to pay them. Every starting QB I can think of who was either allowed to walk or was traded was due to age/declining skills, injury or a team conflict where they refused to play for the organization.

ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
But would that be the best thing? Would signing Romo at all costs be the best thing for us? I am not convinced of this at all. I don't want two years with limited cap space. I want to be in a better situation then that.

It would be the best thing for the Cowboys because they can't be competitive without a QB who possesses Romo's skill set. They need a playmaker at the position who's mobile and can make plays outside the pocket. By resigning Romo it keeps the team competitive and gives them some time to find his replacement. Without Romo the Cowboys are a 4-5 win team. You put an average QB behind the Cowboys OL and give them no running game and no opportunistic defense that creates turnovers and this team will go from mediocre to bad.

ABQCOWBOY;4952280 said:
Your plan has no guarantee that you can keep Romo. Your plan depends on us being able to develop a QB in how long? Your plan is not a plan. It's a hope and wish that Romo is stupid and I don't believe he is.

No plan is guaranteed but my plan keeps Romo in Dallas at least 3 years allowing us to be competitive and giving us time to find and develop his replacement.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4952632 said:
Favre moved on to Minn because the Jets didn't want him anymore. He didn't play well the one season he was in NY he tossed the same number of picks as TD's. Plus he was being indecisive about his future and that put the Jets off. He asked for his release knowing they weren't all that committed to him and they did it willingly. As for Manning he was released because he was injured and there was a risk so Indy let him go knowing they had Andrew Luck waiting for them with the #1 overall pick.

As for Culter he was traded because he and Josh McDaniel's had a falling out. They couldn't repair their relationship and Cutler wanted out. Denver didn't have much choice so they traded him. It resulted in wasting a #1 on Tebow and having to go after Peyton Manning.

There's plenty of logic behind my position and I've detailed it. There's certainly no logic behind your position because it leaves the Cowboys with a scrub at QB. Jerry already has issues with the offense he's not about to leave his team in the hands of Kyle Orton and make matters worse.

At 34 he won't get a guaranteed long-term deal from anyone. Any contract he's offered is going to leave the team an option. The Cowboys would pay him very well for 3 years with an option. If you think anyone is going to guarantee him big money until he's pushing 40 you're kidding yourself.

You honestly believe the Chiefs think a QB like Romo who chokes repeatedly in elimination games is a guy that can win them a championship? :cool: It's not like they don't know his history. The only reason he would be traded is because the Cowboys don't think he's capable of winning a championship.

I can't recall any situation where a starting QB who was playing at a "high level" was traded strictly because their team couldn't afford to pay them. Every starting QB I can think of who was either allowed to walk or was traded was due to age/declining skills, injury or a team conflict where they refused to play for the organization.

It would be the best thing for the Cowboys because they can't be competitive without a QB who possesses Romo's skill set. They need a playmaker at the position who's mobile and can make plays outside the pocket. By resigning Romo it keeps the team competitive and gives them some time to find his replacement. Without Romo the Cowboys are a 4-5 win team. You put an average QB behind the Cowboys OL and give them no running game and no opportunistic defense that creates turnovers and this team will go from mediocre to bad.

No plan is guaranteed but my plan keeps Romo in Dallas at least 3 years allowing us to be competitive and giving us time to find and develop his replacement.

Your story, you tell it but I don't agree with anything you've said here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4952415 said:
But if you did that, you probably wouldn't have guys like Carter or Lee on the team now.

They were both 2nd round picks I said I would use a #2 OR #3. Russell Wilson was had in the 3rd round last April.

ABQCOWBOY;4952415 said:
He may lose for a season or two but what are we really doing now? We aren't making the playoffs. We aren't contending for championships. So we lose for a few seasons, maybe. In the long run, we would be way better off and we placed to contend for a long time.

He could lose for a lot more than a season or two which is what happened the last time he left himself without a QB. Being 500 isn't exactly "losing." Although the Cowboys have been 8-8 the past 2 seasons they had a chance to make the playoffs in week 17 both seasons. The Giants proved in 2011 that even a 7-7 team in week 14 could win the SB if you stay in the hunt until the end. Every season you're looking for at least a chance and Romo has given the Cowboys a chance every year he's been the starter except for 2010 when he missed most of that season with an injury.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4952722 said:
Your story, you tell it but I don't agree with anything you've said here.

I think we've covered it enough and it's time to move on.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4952743 said:
They were both 2nd round picks I said I would use a #2 OR #3. Russell Wilson was had in the 3rd round last April.

Big deal. It could be whatever, you still have to invest but what you are telling me is you would use lower round picks to take developmental QBs which is what many have already proposed doing in this thread. Your chasing your own tail here.

He could lose for a lot more than a season or two which is what happened the last time he left himself without a QB. Being 500 isn't exactly "losing." Although the Cowboys have been 8-8 the past 2 seasons they had a chance to make the playoffs in week 17 both seasons. The Giants proved in 2011 that even a 7-7 team in week 14 could win the SB if you stay in the hunt until the end. Every season you're looking for at least a chance and Romo has given the Cowboys a chance every year he's been the starter except for 2010 when he missed most of that season with an injury.

Perhaps but the bottom line is that we haven't won. End of day, that's what has been accomplished.

As far as the situation we had when we lost Aikman, the reason we were in that situation is because we over extended ourselves with the cap. We held on to players too long and were forced to bit the bullet. If anything, you are explaining why it would be a good idea to deal with the Cap now and that could be Romo if this trade were offered.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4952786 said:
Big deal. It could be whatever, you still have to invest but what you are telling me is you would use lower round picks to take developmental QBs which is what many have already proposed doing in this thread. Your chasing your own tail here.

I'm not chasing my tail you're just not comprehending my posts. I'm disagreeing with those who want to trade Romo and leave the team in the hands of Kyle Orton. I'm also disagreeing with those who want to trade Romo THEN draft a QB later in the draft to develop. You have to have a quality starting QB in place to take over if you trade Romo. My plan is to keep Romo and be competitive then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop. Back in the mid 70's the Cowboys drafted Danny White in 3rd round then a couple of years later they drafted Glen Carano in the 2nd round to prepare for life after Staubach.

Having Danny White in the wings kept the Cowboys in contention for several years after Staubach retired. Smart teams prepare for when the day comes when they're starting QB has to be replaced. Jerry didn't do that back in the late 90's and ended up stuck which forced him to have to reach for QC in the draft and bring in several crap QB's over a 6 year period. You don't move on from your franchise QB who's still a top 10 QB and leave yourself with a journeymen at the position.

ABQCOWBOY;4952786 said:
Perhaps but the bottom line is that we haven't won. End of day, that's what has been accomplished.

More has been accomplished under Romo than any QB the Cowboys have had since Aikman. The bottom line is he's only 32 and is still playing at a very high level. Had the Cowboys beat Washington in the season finale we wouldn't be having this discussion. Fans want Romo gone because they're frustrated. I've always kept it real about Romo he's a very good QB who has serious issues in big games. Regardless of his issues in elimination games it would be much worse for the Cowboys without him or someone comparable to him. He's the most important player on the team and the Cowboys can't be competitive without him.

ABQCOWBOY;4952786 said:
As far as the situation we had when we lost Aikman, the reason we were in that situation is because we over extended ourselves with the cap. We held on to players too long and were forced to bit the bullet. If anything, you are explaining why it would be a good idea to deal with the Cap now and that could be Romo if this trade were offered.

Jerry had no idea 2000 would be Aikman's last season or he would have never given up 2 #1's for Joey Galloway. That trade was made to pair Galloway with Aikman. The Cowboys were having cap issues but Jerry would have kept Aikman had it not been for Aikman's health. Troy suffered another concussion in 2000 and missed the last 2 games of that season. He missed 5 games total that season with health issues. He had back problems, was concussion prone and couldn't be counted on so Jerry made the painful decision to release him.

If you have a QB who's healthy and can play at a top 10 level you don't worry about the cap you find a way to sign them. It's critical to have a top caliber QB especially in todays game or you can't win. This is why teams get desperate and make bold moves to get a QB. You never want to leave yourself without a solid QB. As long as Romo can play at a top 10 level you have to hang on to him and mark my words the Cowboys will.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4953276 said:
I'm not chasing my tail you're just not comprehending my posts. I'm disagreeing with those who want to trade Romo and leave the team in the hands of Kyle Orton. I'm also disagreeing with those who want to trade Romo THEN draft a QB later in the draft to develop. You have to have a quality starting QB in place to take over if you trade Romo. My plan is to keep Romo and be competitive then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop. Back in the mid 70's the Cowboys drafted Danny White in 3rd round then a couple of years later they drafted Glen Carano in the 2nd round to prepare for life after Staubach.

Well, I've asked you how you do that if you can't resign Romo, which is a very real possibility, like it or not. Your plan was to draft a guy and develop him, which is exactly what many other's have said here. We are going to have the same problem with any quality QB. We don't have cap. How are you going to solve that problem because all the rest of this nonsense is just rearrangement of deck furniture on a sinking ship. You have to be able to deal with the cap. If you want to keep Romo, fine but how are you going to resign him with limited cap? You want to replace him with a quality QB before you make a move with Romo fine. How are you going to do that with our cap? It's the same problem but you don't have a plan to fix it. Your plan is Romo won't go. Well, that's not a plan. That's a hope.

Having Danny White in the wings kept the Cowboys in contention for several years after Staubach retired. Smart teams prepare for when the day comes when they're starting QB has to be replaced. Jerry didn't do that back in the late 90's and ended up stuck which forced him to have to reach for QC in the draft and bring in several crap QB's over a 6 year period. You don't move on from your franchise QB who's still a top 10 QB and leave yourself with a journeymen at the position.

There was no Cap in those day. There was no FA in those days. If there were, Danny White would not have still been a Cowboy. Jerry stuck too long with players in the 90s and it cost us. Not only did we over pay for too long but we traded away much needed draft picks in an attempt to extend our ability to win and we failed. It sent this organization in a death spiral and we really haven't emerged from it yet. You are suggesting exactly the same course of action. I do not support that.

More has been accomplished under Romo than any QB the Cowboys have had since Aikman. The bottom line is he's only 32 and is still playing at a very high level. Had the Cowboys beat Washington in the season finale we wouldn't be having this discussion. Fans want Romo gone because they're frustrated. I've always kept it real about Romo he's a very good QB who has serious issues in big games. Regardless of his issues in elimination games it would be much worse for the Cowboys without him or someone comparable to him. He's the most important player on the team and the Cowboys can't be competitive without him.

I don't care about more. More could be one bowl of soup a week if you are getting none. That translates into starvation just the same, it only takes a little longer but at the end, you die just the same. That is not an argument that works. Winning Championships is what this organization has always been about. Not staying competative which is what I'm hearing from you. I'm pretty convinced that it is you who doesn't get it. Fans want to be able to have something to show for the investment we've made in Romo and not just be left with a cap mess and a rebuilding project in a year. You have not provided any plan as to how to prevent that very thing from happening. You don't want to trade Romo if a good deal came along? That's fine with me but I think it's pretty clear, based on this thread, that you are in the minority. Doesn't mean any kind of trade like that will come along or that it would even happen if such a trade were proposed but it does mean that your way is not the way most would like to see. It also doesn't mean that your way is right. It only means that you like it as is. I don't.

Jerry had no idea 2000 would be Aikman's last season or he would have never given up 2 #1's for Joey Galloway. That trade was made to pair Galloway with Aikman. The Cowboys were having cap issues but Jerry would have kept Aikman had it not been for Aikman's health. Troy suffered another concussion in 2000 and missed the last 2 games of that season. He missed 5 games total that season with health issues. He had back problems, was concussion prone and couldn't be counted on so Jerry made the painful decision to release him.

Jerry had some idea. His concussion issues were well known and Troy had already had preliminary discussions with Jerry about the possibility of retiring so yeah, he did have some idea. The Cowboys were having cap issues and Jerry dealt with that buy extending everybody and pushing the money out to future years which pretty much killed us. All because why? Because he would not make hard decisions on our roster. He would not cut guys but instead, believed we could win. Well, that never happened until the damage had already been done. Right or wrong, it is exactly the same kind of thinking you are currently supporting that killed us.

If you have a QB who's healthy and can play at a top 10 level you don't worry about the cap you find a way to sign them. It's critical to have a top caliber QB especially in todays game or you can't win. This is why teams get desperate and make bold moves to get a QB. You never want to leave yourself without a solid QB. As long as Romo can play at a top 10 level you have to hang on to him and mark my words the Cowboys will.

I agree, you don't just cut him. However, trading him for value is not just cutting him. We would be stupid to simply hold onto Romo even though we can't afford to surround him with good talent. He's a good QB but he's not a great QB who can win despite the players around him.

I don't agree with anything you have said here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
Well, I've asked you how you do that if you can't resign Romo, which is a very real possibility, like it or not. Your plan was to draft a guy and develop him, which is exactly what many other's have said here.

The plan that others have suggested is to trade Romo for the #1 overall pick then draft a QB to develop. That's NOT my plan! My PLAN is to resign Romo THEN draft a QB to develop that way I have a QB to keep the Cowboys competitive while I develop a young QB who could possibly take over in 3-4 years. You asked me what happens if we can't resign Romo then what do I do. Well naturally if you can't resign Romo then the only thing you can do is go with Orton as your starter and draft a young QB to develop.

That would leave you in the same boat as the Cowboys were in after Jerry released Aikman in 2000. He drafted Quincy Carter the following April and brought in Tony Banks. That plan leaves you stuck! My plan gives you time to find a QB in the next 3-4 years while Romo is still manning the ship keeping the team competitive.

ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
We are going to have the same problem with any quality QB. We don't have cap. How are you going to solve that problem because all the rest of this nonsense is just rearrangement of deck furniture on a sinking ship. You have to be able to deal with the cap.

No team has ever lost their starting QB due to not being able to get them signed under the cap. There's all kinds of ways to massage the cap if you want a player bad enough. If Austin is released the Cowboys save at least 5 million under the cap. Every team figures out a way to resign their QB if they're still playing at a high level and they still want them. I don't care what teams have to do there's no way they'll lose their franchise QB due to their cap situation.

ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
You want to replace him with a quality QB before you make a move with Romo fine. How are you going to do that with our cap? It's the same problem but you don't have a plan to fix it. Your plan is Romo won't go. Well, that's not a plan. That's a hope.

I don't want to replace Romo with a quality QB because there won't be any my plan is to resign him he's going to be the best option. You keep making it sound like there's no possible way for the Cowboys to have a quality starting QB because of their cap situation. :rolleyes: I'm not a cap expert but anytime a team wants' to fit players under the cap they restructure contracts and release players. You can mark my words Jerry will not leave his team in the hands of a cheap scrub QB because he can't figure out a way sign or keep a quality starting QB under the cap.

This talk about trading Romo and not being able to resign him under the cap would not be going on had he played well against Wash and the Cowboys made the playoffs. Book mark this thread because what I'm saying is eventually what's going to happen.

ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
Your plan is Romo won't go. Well, that's not a plan. That's a hope.

My plan is to resign Romo and draft a young QB to develop. It's not a hope it would happen if I was running the team because me and everyone I have working with me would figure out a way to make it happen. I'm not going to leave this team without a quality starting QB and I can assure you Jerry won't either. He has to market his team and keep butts in the seats. The Cowboys will not win without a quality starting QB it's a must have.

ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
There was no Cap in those day. There was no FA in those days. If there were, Danny White would not have still been a Cowboy. Jerry stuck too long with players in the 90s and it cost us. Not only did we over pay for too long but we traded away much needed draft picks in an attempt to extend our ability to win and we failed. It sent this organization in a death spiral and we really haven't emerged from it yet. You are suggesting exactly the same course of action. I do not support that.

You have no idea about that with Danny White you're beyond speculating. Teams today prepare for life without their starting QB. The Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round to prepare for life without Favre and it paid off big time. The Eagles started preparing for life without McNabb by drafting Kolb and bringing in Vick. They now have Nick Foles who showed potential as a rookie. Teams draft young QB's all the time to develop for the future. The Cowboys have done very little at QB over the past 7 years since Romo became the starter. They drafted Stephen McGee and wasted 3 years with him when it was clear he was showing very little development. He couldn't even win the backup job after 3 seasons.

ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
Jerry had some idea. His concussion issues were well known and Troy had already had preliminary discussions with Jerry about the possibility of retiring so yeah, he did have some idea. The Cowboys were having cap issues and Jerry dealt with that buy extending everybody and pushing the money out to future years which pretty much killed us. All because why? Because he would not make hard decisions on our roster. He would not cut guys but instead, believed we could win. Well, that never happened until the damage had already been done. Right or wrong, it is exactly the same kind of thinking you are currently supporting that killed us.

If Jerry had any idea Aikman would be done after the 2000 season no possible way would he have given up 2 #1's for Joey Galloway. If you don't have a QB that trade blows up in your face and that's exactly what happened. If he had any idea Aikman was entering his final season in 2000 he would have saved those #1's to try and find a quality starting QB to replace him. Burning those 2 #1's left him desperate having to reach for Quincy Carter with the Cowboys first pick in the 2nd round in 2001. Had he had those 2 #1's he would have had plenty of leverage to move up 21 spots in the 2nd round to possibly draft Drew Brees. Jerry was so desperate for a QB in that draft that he traded up for Quincy.

ABQCOWBOY;4954174 said:
I agree, you don't just cut him. However, trading him for value is not just cutting him. We would be stupid to simply hold onto Romo even though we can't afford to surround him with good talent. He's a good QB but he's not a great QB who can win despite the players around him.

Romo has some talent around him at the skill positions but he needs an OL and a running game. Give him a quality OL and some resemblance of a running game and it would take some pressure off him. He's having to carry the team so a lesser QB would have no chance. Your idea of trading Romo for the #1 overall pick then trading down for more picks is a recipe for disaster because Jerry's trade down history has been bad.

Some of his worst draft picks were a result of trading down. He's even admitted trading down hasn't worked well for him. Compare his selections when he's stayed pat or traded up compared to when he's traded down. You trade Romo and don't end up with some outstanding players in the draft with those picks you're screwed for years. You can't afford to miss on a pick if you trade Romo. Even if you hit on the picks you still lose games because you don't have a QB.

RGKN33

Reaction score
Id like to set us up to draft a qb next year so yes id do it . We are not winning a bowl with tony , we have learned that by now . If we could some how get multiple picks something like a first this year and a 1st next year id do it . i like tony i think hes a good qb its just time to go . this team needs a complete makeover .

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4954527 said:
The plan that others have suggested is to trade Romo for the #1 overall pick then draft a QB to develop. That's NOT my plan! My PLAN is to resign Romo THEN draft a QB to develop that way I have a QB to keep the Cowboys competitive while I develop a young QB who could possibly take over in 3-4 years. You asked me what happens if we can't resign Romo then what do I do. Well naturally if you can't resign Romo then the only thing you can do is go with Orton as your starter and draft a young QB to develop.

Right, that's the only thing you can do but if you don't trade him, you also end up drafting a guy much later in the draft with much less resource. That's not ideal. Also, you didn't answer the questions. In your ideal scheme, you keep Tony till you have somebody to replace him with. How do you manage the cap while your doing that?

That would leave you in the same boat as the Cowboys were in after Jerry released Aikman in 2000. He drafted Quincy Carter the following April and brought in Tony Banks. That plan leaves you stuck! My plan gives you time to find a QB in the next 3-4 years while Romo is still manning the ship keeping the team competitive.

That's essentially where we would end up if we followed your plan. Because we must sign Romo, we will not be able to sign Spencer. That's how it works. Your plan assumes we can sign Romo. That's not a given. We could easily be in a position, in a year, where we have no Romo and no picks high enough to take a QB high. How is that a better option? In your plan, we could still end up with Banks and Quincy, so to speak.

No team has ever lost their starting QB due to not being able to get them signed under the cap. There's all kinds of ways to massage the cap if you want a player bad enough. If Austin is released the Cowboys save at least 5 million under the cap. Every team figures out a way to resign their QB if they're still playing at a high level and they still want them. I don't care what teams have to do there's no way they'll lose their franchise QB due to their cap situation.

Not really true but whatever. At the end of the day, you have to either cut players or extend them and neither is good. What good is Romo if you can't afford to sign players around him?

I don't want to replace Romo with a quality QB because there won't be any my plan is to resign him he's going to be the best option. You keep making it sound like there's no possible way for the Cowboys to have a quality starting QB because of their cap situation. :rolleyes: I'm not a cap expert but anytime a team wants' to fit players under the cap they restructure contracts and release players. You can mark my words Jerry will not leave his team in the hands of a cheap scrub QB because he can't figure out a way sign or keep a quality starting QB under the cap.

Been over this. I don't agree.

This talk about trading Romo and not being able to resign him under the cap would not be going on had he played well against Wash and the Cowboys made the playoffs. Book mark this thread because what I'm saying is eventually what's going to happen.

But he didn't so it's pointless. Trust me, I will forget this as soon as I possibly can. There is zero value in this for me. Perhaps you should book mark it.

My plan is to resign Romo and draft a young QB to develop. It's not a hope it would happen if I was running the team because me and everyone I have working with me would figure out a way to make it happen. I'm not going to leave this team without a quality starting QB and I can assure you Jerry won't either. He has to market his team and keep butts in the seats. The Cowboys will not win without a quality starting QB it's a must have.

At any cost, I'm sure. That's not a good plan.

You have no idea about that with Danny White you're beyond speculating. Teams today prepare for life without their starting QB. The Packers drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round to prepare for life without Favre and it paid off big time. The Eagles started preparing for life without McNabb by drafting Kolb and bringing in Vick. They now have Nick Foles who showed potential as a rookie. Teams draft young QB's all the time to develop for the future. The Cowboys have done very little at QB over the past 7 years since Romo became the starter. They drafted Stephen McGee and wasted 3 years with him when it was clear he was showing very little development. He couldn't even win the backup job after 3 seasons.

How old are you? I absolutely do know that this is what would have happened because Danny White asked to be traded. In today's NFL, he would have become an FA and he would have moved on. In those days, you could not sign with other teams unless the team wants to trade you. Yeah, I do know. How old are you again?

If Jerry had any idea Aikman would be done after the 2000 season no possible way would he have given up 2 #1's for Joey Galloway. If you don't have a QB that trade blows up in your face and that's exactly what happened. If he had any idea Aikman was entering his final season in 2000 he would have saved those #1's to try and find a quality starting QB to replace him. Burning those 2 #1's left him desperate having to reach for Quincy Carter with the Cowboys first pick in the 2nd round in 2001. Had he had those 2 #1's he would have had plenty of leverage to move up 21 spots in the 2nd round to possibly draft Drew Brees. Jerry was so desperate for a QB in that draft that he traded up for Quincy.

The salient point in this entire response is contained in the first four words. If Jerry had any idea. Well, he didn't and he made the worst possible decision. What you want to do now fits in with those past decisions very well.

Romo has some talent around him at the skill positions but he needs an OL and a running game. Give him a quality OL and some resemblance of a running game and it would take some pressure off him. He's having to carry the team so a lesser QB would have no chance. Your idea of trading Romo for the #1 overall pick then trading down for more picks is a recipe for disaster because Jerry's trade down history has been bad.

I agree. In fact, everybody on this board has known this since forever. Why is it, do you suppose, nothing has been done about it? Could it be that we don't have the cap to be able to afford to bring in good OLs? I think so. What does that tell you about resigning Romo? I'm going to guess a great deal but I'm also going to guess that you completely ignore it.

Some of his worst draft picks were a result of trading down. He's even admitted trading down hasn't worked well for him. Compare his selections when he's stayed pat or traded up compared to when he's traded down. You trade Romo and don't end up with some outstanding players in the draft with those picks you're screwed for years. You can't afford to miss on a pick if you trade Romo. Even if you hit on the picks you still lose games because you don't have a QB.

I have never heard Jerry say this. Be that as it may, this is not a convincing argument as to why you shouldn't trade Romo for the 1st overall pick. What you describe could happen with the 1st pick or the 21st pick. There is no upside there. However, if you don't resign Romo, then you have no picks to work with and you are in a worse position. The lower we pick, the worse the results are historically. Not a shocker.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Just a note: the Manning, Brady, Brees deals put qb's up in the 19-20mm per range up from about 15. Shaub signed for about 16. It will take 16 or 17 to get Tony. Romo has been about a $12mm guy. The cap has been pretty static but the qb inflation is alive and well more than any other spot. I don't know that the guys other than Rogers, Brady, Manning and Brees are going to give positive value for their teams.

I'd rather find a new guy than pay Matt Shaub $16 million.

perrykemp

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4954960 said:
Just a note: the Manning, Brady, Brees deals put qb's up in the 19-20mm per range up from about 15. Shaub signed for about 16. It will take 16 or 17 to get Tony. Romo has been about a $12mm guy. The cap has been pretty static but the qb inflation is alive and well more than any other spot. I don't know that the guys other than Rogers, Brady, Manning and Brees are going to give positive value for their teams.

I'd rather find a new guy than pay Matt Shaub $16 million.

Or just pay Romo like the Packers pay Aaron Rodgers... Rodgers made $8.5m in 2012, and is scheduled to make $9.75m in 2013, and $11m in 2014.

As I've stated here before -- clearly the Packers pay their guys under the table :)

cowboysooner

Reaction score
perrykemp;4954976 said:
Or just pay Romo like the Packers pay Aaron Rodgers... Rodgers made $8.5m in 2012, and is scheduled to make $9.75m in 2013, and $11m in 2014.

As I've stated here before -- clearly the Packers pay their guys under the table :)

Rodgers' agent should be fired. He took a less than Romo-Shaub-Rivers deal while he was on a rookie contract.

perrykemp

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4955051 said:
Rodgers' agent should be fired. He took a less than Romo-Shaub-Rivers deal while he was on a rookie contract.

It was his 2nd contract believe it or not. The signed him to a 7 year $65m contract in 2008 half way through his 1st year as a starter for approx $9m/year.