Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951153 said:
However, if we traded the pick, my intention would be to trade down and acquire more picks with an eye towards securing an additional 1st round pick in the 2014 draft.

The only way of securing a 1st round pick in 2014 is if there's a QB in this draft a team covets enough to give up their #1 next year to move up for. From everything I've read this isn't a very strong QB class.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951197 said:
The only way of securing a 1st round pick in 2014 is if there's a QB in this draft a team covets enough to give up their #1 next year to move up for. From everything I've read this isn't a very strong QB class.

That's not true. Teams need lots of different things. Teams covet LTs and CBs and WRs and 34 rush LBs and game changing 3 tech DTs. If the right team sees the right player and it's the piece of the puzzle they are looking for, they will trade for it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951203 said:
That's not true. Teams need lots of different things. Teams covet LTs and CBs and WRs and 34 rush LBs and game changing 3 tech DTs. If the right team sees the right player and it's the piece of the puzzle they are looking for, they will trade for it.

Name some teams that have traded their next years #1 during the draft to move up for a position other than QB? Not saying it hasn't happened but it would be an extremely rare move.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951209 said:
Name some teams that have traded their next years #1 during the draft to move up for a position other than QB? Not saying it hasn't happened but it would be an extremely rare move.

You can not be serious.

Good Lord, Seattle traded a #1 for Dion Branch. New Orleans gave Washington the 12th over all, 2nd, 4th, 5th 6th in the 1999 draft and the 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2000 draft for Ricky Williams. The Vikings gave up their 1st, 2nd and 6th in 1990. They gave up their 1st, 2nd and 6th in 91 and their 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 92 plus like 4 players for Hershel Walker. Dallas traded a 1st in 2000 and 2001 for Joey Galloway.

This is just a few of many, many trades. I did this to prove to you that it's not all that uncommon but next time, do a little research instead of employing this BS tactic.

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951238 said:
You can not be serious.

Good Lord, Seattle traded a #1 for Dion Branch. New Orleans gave Washington the 12th over all, 2nd, 4th, 5th 6th in the 1999 draft and the 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2000 draft for Ricky Williams. The Vikings gave up their 1st, 2nd and 6th in 1990. They gave up their 1st, 2nd and 6th in 91 and their 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 92 plus like 4 players for Hershel Walker. Dallas traded a 1st in 2000 and 2001 for Joey Galloway.

This is just a few of many, many trades. I did this to prove to you that it's not all that uncommon but next time, do a little research instead of employing this BS tactic.

Not to mention the trade we made with Detroit for Roy Williams. Oops. I mentioned it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951196 said:
I would be happy to discuss player options with you but you will agree that it is not yet time to do this correct? The combine has not taken place. You can not evaluate players until that process is completed.

You've already made the statement that trading up to the #1 overall spot would be a no brainer so I thought you had already made your evaluations to come to that conclusion. You have fans claiming they would make the trade in a heartbeat but can't come up with one player they would take with the pick. It's obvious this is all about fans giving up on Romo and willing to roll the dice on whoever.

ABQCOWBOY;4951196 said:
I ask you again, what happens if Romo decides to play out his contract and wait to see what his options are in 2014? If that happens, do you think we can win a bidding War? How sure are you that we can? If we don't, where are we with QB then and what is your plan to get us a "franchise QB" then?

I don't remember you ever asking me that question but I could have missed it. I think it would be the Cowboys who decide to allow Romo to play out his contract. But to answer your question if Romo did decide to play out his contract and wait and see what his options are in 2014 I doubt they'll be any bidding war for him when he'll be 34 by the start of the 2014 season. At his age he won't want to move on and start over with another team no QB at that age ever does. If he moves on to another team it won't be his choice it will be the Cowboys choice.

If he plays well in 2013 I'm confident the Cowboys can sign him to a deal with an option he'll be happy with because he will not want to start over with another team that would probably be a bad team desperate for a QB. He wants to win a SB so any team bidding for him probably won't be a contending team. I feel the Cowboys may allow Romo to play out his contract and see how he plays next season and decide from there what they feel he's worth going forward.

ABQCOWBOY;4951196 said:
If KC decided to trade their #1 pick in exchange for a proven QB, it would not mean the draft is weak or that it would not be worth having the top pick. It would mean that KC did not like it's chances of getting a QB that could lead them to a playoff or championship in the near future. Those are two very different things but by all means, you go ahead and tell us what you think you know about the draft.

Seeing so many fans claim they would make the trade right now what I do know about the draft is it's a weak QB draft. If KC feels a QB is so important to their success they would trade the #1 overall pick for Romo then the Cowboys should keep him. KC would be passing up the opportunity to draft any player they want in this draft for Romo. That indicates to me that Romo is a very valuable player the Cowboys should hang onto. He's the Cowboys most valuable player who accounts for more wins than anyone on the team. The Cowboys will not be competitive without Romo or a QB comparable to him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951266 said:
You've already made the statement that trading up to the #1 overall spot would be a no brainer so I thought you had already made your evaluations to come to that conclusion. You have fans claiming they would make the trade in a heartbeat but can't come up with one player they would take with the pick. It's obvious this is all about fans giving up on Romo and willing to roll the dice on whoever.

Are you specifically asking me which team I would trade down with and then which player I would target or are you simply asking me if I had to stay at #1 over all, which would be highly doubtful, who I would take?

I don't remember you ever asking me that question but I could have missed it. I think it would be the Cowboys who decide to allow Romo to play out his contract. But to answer your question if Romo did decide to play out his contract and wait and see what his options are in 2014 I doubt they'll be any bidding war for him when he'll be 34 by the start of the 2014 season. At his age he won't want to move on and start over with another team no QB at that age ever does. If he moves on to another team it won't be his choice it will be the Cowboys choice.
Oh no. You have zero proof of this. Plenty of QBs have changed teams for big money late in there careers. Just do a little search and you will come up with 4 right off the bat.

If he plays well in 2013 I'm confident the Cowboys can sign him to a deal with an option he'll be happy with because he will not want to start over with another team that would probably be a bad team desperate for a QB. He wants to win a SB so any team bidding for him probably won't be a contending team. No way will he want to go to a struggling team and have to learn a new offense. I feel the Cowboys may allow Romo to play out his contract and see how he plays next season and decide from there what they feel he's worth going forward.
This is all supposition. There is no proof that he wouldn't want to. It would essentially be his last big contract. I don't believe for one minute that he wouldn't want to get paid. You also have no proof that a good team would not want him. Again, would take less then 5 minutes to do a search and see that this is completely wrong. The Cowboys are cap strapped and if they don't figure out a way to lesson Romo's cap number next year, they will be forced to cut players. This can only hurt the team in future years. We can't afford 17 Million next year, let alone a bidding war after 2013.

Seeing so many fans claim they would make the trade right now what I do know about the draft is it's a weak QB draft. If KC feels a QB is so important to their success they would trade the #1 overall pick for Romo then the Cowboys should keep him. KC would be passing up the opportunity to draft any player they want in this draft for Romo. That indicates to me that Romo is a very valuable player the Cowboys should hang onto. He's the Cowboys most valuable player who accounts for more wins than anyone on the team. The Cowboys will not be competitive without Romo or a QB comparable to him.
I disagree. KC needs a vet QB. If the Cowboys had a chance to get the over all pick and get cap relief, they would be foolish not to take it.

And BTW, you still didn't answer the question. If he plays out his option and what guarantee do we have that we can sign him in 2014 and if we don't, what's your plan for getting a franchise QB?

Your own personal confidence is not a plan, nor is it an answer. It's your opinion based on no fact whatsoever and that's the real truth of this whole thing. Say what you want about fans who want to trade Romo with no plan but you have just demonstrated that you, who would not trade him, are basing everything off opinion with no plan as to how you will keep him or replace him if need be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951238 said:
You can not be serious.

Good Lord, Seattle traded a #1 for Dion Branch.

Good Lord That's not what were were discussing. You said your plan was to trade down from the #1 overall spot and acquire picks hoping to acquire a #1 in 2014. We're discussing a "draft day trade" where a team traded their #1 pick the following year to move up for a non QB in the draft.

ABQCOWBOY;4951238 said:
Dallas traded a 1st in 2000 and 2001 for Joey Galloway.

Again you got it all twisted we're discussing draft day trades.

ABQCOWBOY;4951238 said:
You can not be serious.

New Orleans gave Washington the 12th over all, 2nd, 4th, 5th 6th in the 1999 draft and the 1st and 3rd round picks in the 2000 draft for Ricky Williams.

How well did that work out for New Orleans? You won't be seeing trades like that again especially for a RB.

ABQCOWBOY;4951238 said:
. The Vikings gave up their 1st, 2nd and 6th in 1990. They gave up their 1st, 2nd and 6th in 91 and their 1st, 2nd and 3rd in 92 plus like 4 players for Hershel Walker.

Again that wasn't a draft day trade.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951153 said:
If that's the case, then yes. I obviously have players who I think are fits for our organization but the reality is that we would have to wait till after the Combine before we could realistically finalize any player evaluations or rank players at all.

However, if we traded the pick, my intention would be to trade down and acquire more picks with an eye towards securing an additional 1st round pick in the 2014 draft. I would anticipate that this upcoming year, we would have to play with Orton or whomever we might go out and sign. I would use this draft to fix both lines. I would probably franchise Spencer, would sign quality help at NT and would fix our Safety situation. Without Romo at QB, you would have to think that our 2014 draft pick would be a very good one.

By 2014, I would make my best play to draft Clowney and trade Spencer. With the Cap I saved, I would go out and sign a good FA QB and would draft a future QB. That would allow us to extend Ware's career and bring in his replacement.

Our cap situation would be much improved, we would be in a position to sign quality FAs for several years out. We would be strong on both sides of the line and ready to compete for a Championship for years to come.

We would not be cap strapped, stalling the inevitable and waiting for age and cap to slowly kill us. It would not leave us in a position where we would have to rebuild everywhere in two or three seasons. It would not force us to try and sign an FA QB who we would have to pay too much for and basically kill ourselves before we ever had a chance to compete for a championship again.

That is what I would do if I had the chance to trade Romo for the number 1 pick.

Excellent post. :starspin

cowboysooner

Reaction score
A 36 year old Joe Montana coming off of a 2 year back injury went for #18. Jared Allen was traded for 15 & two third round picks. Mark Ingram was traded for a next year's #1. Carolina traded a first a few years ago to the Niners for their second.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
KJJ;4951313 said:
Good Lord That's not what were were discussing. You said your plan was to trade down from the #1 overall spot and acquire picks hoping to acquire a #1 in 2014. We're discussing a "draft day trade" where a team traded their #1 pick the following year to move up for a non QB in the draft.

Again you got it all twisted we're discussing draft day trades.

How well did that work out for New Orleans? You won't be seeing trades like that again especially for a RB.

Again that wasn't a draft day trade.

I see. Is this going to be the entire discussion? Your just going to try and get me to search for one ridiculous thing after another, all the while, ignoring the one thing that was asked of you?

Tell you what I'll do. I'll give you examples of draft day trades if you answer the one question I asked.

What is your plan if Romo doesn't extend and we have to sign him in a bidding war. You gut feeling doesn't cut it. It could easily happen and we may lose him so what is your plan to replace him if we lose him? What is your plan to deal with the 17 Million if he doesn't restructure?

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
KJJ;4951184 said:
Yeah let's replace Romo with Alex Smith and give up a draft pick to do it. :rolleyes:

Yeah not the KC pick, but like a 6th or 7th rounder.

I understand there's alot of Romo-lovers on this board, sorry I'm not one of them. I'm a fan of this Cowboys TEAM and if your causing my team to lose......DON'T NEED THEM! That goes for any position!

MWILL

Fear the Afro
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951153 said:
However, if we traded the pick, my intention would be to trade down and acquire more picks with an eye towards securing an additional 1st round pick in the 2014 draft. I would anticipate that this upcoming year, we would have to play with Orton or whomever we might go out and sign. I would use this draft to fix both lines. I would probably franchise Spencer, would sign quality help at NT and would fix our Safety situation. Without Romo at QB, you would have to think that our 2014 draft pick would be a very good one.

I like that Idea too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
Are you specifically asking me which team I would trade down with and then which player I would target or are you simply asking me if I had to stay at #1 over all, which would be highly doubtful, who I would take?

No, I'm not trying to put you on that big a spot I'm just asking what players do you have targeted in the draft if you had the #1 overall pick.

ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
Oh no. You have zero proof of this. Plenty of QBs have changed teams for big money late in there careers. Just do a little search and you will come up with 4 right off the bat.

Name the 4 aging QB's who you claim changed teams later in their careers where it was "their" decision to do so? QB's who change teams later in their careers are doing so because the team they're currently on is looking to move on from them ether due to age and declining performance or due to an injury like with Brees and Peyton Manning. No team moves on from their starting QB who's still playing at a high level and is healthy.

ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
This is all supposition. There is no proof that he wouldn't want to.

Of course there's no proof it's all speculation based on Romo's age and the stage he is in his career.

ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
This is all supposition. There is no proof that he wouldn't want to. It would essentially be his last big contract. I don't believe for one minute that he wouldn't want to get paid.

He'll get paid well for 3 years leaving the Cowboys with an option to move on after that. They certainly won't sign him to a 5 year guaranteed deal no team will at 34 years old.

ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
I disagree. KC needs a vet QB. If the Cowboys had a chance to get the over all pick and get cap relief, they would be foolish not to take it.

They have a couple of veteran QB's they need a young stud like RG3 or Andrew Luck unfortunately unless this draft holds a diamond in the rough they won't be able to acquire one. No team is going to use the #1 overall pick on a soon to be 33 year old QB.

ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
And BTW, you still didn't answer the question. If he plays out his option and what guarantee do we have that we can sign him in 2014 and if we don't, what's your plan for getting a franchise QB?

There's no guarantee but the odds are real good based on his age. No team is going to pay a ransoms fee for a 34 year old QB not named Peyton Manning. If Romo doesn't play well in 2013 his stock goes way down making it easier for the Cowboys to sign him. It's going to be a risk allowing him to play out his contract but not nearly as big a risk as trading him and having to try and find his replacement.

Knowing Jerry if he feels Romo is the best option for his team at QB after the 2013 season he'll do whatever it takes to sign Romo. It's going to be a lot easier finding a way to sign Romo than it would be to try and find his replacement who may not be out there for quite some time to come.

ABQCOWBOY;4951283 said:
Your own personal confidence is not a plan, nor is it an answer.

I have a plan and it's safe it keeps the Cowboys competitive until they find Romo's replacement. My plan keeps the Cowboys from ending up like they did from 2000 to 05. My plan isn't going to leave the Cowboys without a top 10 QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
MWILL;4951345 said:
Yeah not the KC pick, but like a 6th or 7th rounder.

I understand there's alot of Romo-lovers on this board, sorry I'm not one of them. I'm a fan of this Cowboys TEAM and if your causing my team to lose......DON'T NEED THEM! That goes for any position!

I'm certainly no Romo lover but you put a bus driver like Alex Smith behind the Cowboys OL and leave him with no running game and an average defense and you're looking at maybe an even worse Alex Smith than prior to Harbaugh's arrival in SF. He's on the bench because he doesn't provide much offense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4951334 said:
I see. Is this going to be the entire discussion? Your just going to try and get me to search for one ridiculous thing after another, all the while, ignoring the one thing that was asked of you?

I'm not trying to make it the entire discussion you're the one who brought up trading down and acquiring a future #1 in 2014. The trades you brought up weren't draft day trades which is what I was referring to. I haven't ignored any of your questions I've given detailed answers to all of them.

ABQCOWBOY;4951334 said:
Tell you what I'll do. I'll give you examples of draft day trades if you answer the one question I asked.

What is your plan if Romo doesn't extend and we have to sign him in a bidding war. You gut feeling doesn't cut it. It could easily happen and we may lose him so what is your plan to replace him if we lose him? What is your plan to deal with the 17 Million if he doesn't restructure?

First of all I'm no cap expert. If the Cowboys or Romo decides to play of his contract and they lose him then it's obvious Jerry didn't think he was worth keeping. Then the Cowboys would be stuck without a capable QB like they were when Aikman was released. There would be no other plan but to go with Orton and bring in whatever scrubs there are on the street to compete with him.

If I owned the Cowboys I would have been preparing for life without Romo a couple of years ago by taking fliers in the 2nd and 3rd round on QB's. Trust me on this if Romo plays out his contract and Jerry doesn't like what's out there at QB he'll do whatever he has to do to resign Romo...guaranteed!

He knows he'll lose with Orton and is bound to start seeing ticket sales drop if things get worse for the team than what we've seen the past 2 seasons. Kyle Orton, Colt McCoy or whatever other stiffs that are out there after 2013 aren't going to get butts in the seats and neither are 4-12 seasons. Romo will be resigned!

DFWJC

Reaction score
KJJ;4951396 said:
I'm certainly no Romo lover but you put a bus driver like Alex Smith behind the Cowboys OL and leave him with no running game and an average defense and you're looking at maybe an even worse Alex Smith than prior to Harbaugh's arrival in SF. He's on the bench because he doesn't provide much offense.
Orton is as good as Alex Smith.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4951323 said:
A 36 year old Joe Montana coming off of a 2 year back injury went for #18. Jared Allen was traded for 15 & two third round picks. Mark Ingram was traded for a next year's #1. Carolina traded a first a few years ago to the Niners for their second.

None of those were draft day trades that's what I was referring to. Montana had an injury and because SF had Steve Young they traded Montana. They would have never made that trade had they not had Young. KC traded Jared Allen and got worse because of it. They traded a proven player for unproven players in the draft.

They later traded Tony Gonzales to Atlanta for a #2 that didn't improve them but both trades improved Minn and Atlanta. As for the Carolina trade I don't remember that one but it obviously worked out better for SF than it did Carolina. KC has done what a lot of fans want the Cowboys to do and that's trade proven players for draft picks and look where it's left them. Look where it's left the teams they traded with...case closed!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
DFWJC;4951482 said:
Orton is as good as Alex Smith.

That's not saying a whole lot they're both on the bench but Smith's stock is a lot higher. Most teams would take him over Orton without even pausing to think about it. To have a chance with ether one you have to have a great running game and an outstanding defense that can make stops and get turnovers. They're both bus drivers!

DFWJC

Reaction score
KJJ;4951500 said:
That's not saying a whole lot they're both on the bench but Smith's stock is a lot higher. To have a chance with ether one you have to have a great running game and an outstanding defense that can make stops and get turnovers. They're both bus drivers!
Oh, I agree.
I was just backing up your point.

I just think they are decent JAGS, no more, no less.