Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboys1981;4943753 said:
If we were to trade Romo to the Chiefs I would like Eric Berry in return.

What do you do at QB?

Kilyin

Reaction score
KJJ;4943750 said:
Crayton was on the way down when he went to San Diego that's why the Cowboys parted with him.

That was more Jerry being unable to come to terms with the fact he made another stupid Galloway-sized trade, IMO. Except, RW was never half the receiver that Galloway was. Neither of them were worth anywhere close to what he gave up for them though.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gameover;4943759 said:
Mr. Orton

How many games do you expect the Cowboys to win with Orton? How long do you think it will take the Cowboys to find a QB who gives them as good a chance to win or better than Romo?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kilyin;4943760 said:
That was more Jerry being unable to come to terms with the fact he made another stupid Galloway-sized trade, IMO. Except, RW was never half the receiver that Galloway was. Neither of them were worth anywhere close to what he gave up for them though.

The Roy Williams trade was a result of Crayton not getting it done as a starter. It was a desperation move by Jerry during the season that blew up in his face.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
KJJ;4943755 said:
What do you do at QB?

Trading Romo means we address the position early in draft. My post was to entertain the thread. Logically, we would have to get picks in addition to Berry if we trade Romo. Use those picks for trench players. On the Oline side we need guards that can block and protect the "A" gap. If we don't do so we will see a repeat of this season.

Reality:
Romo stays.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to go with Kyle Orton a QB who got sent packing in favor of Tim Tebow and then got sent packing again by KC must have forgot how bad things got for the Cowboys after Aikman was released in 2000. The Bears gave up Orton and 2 # 1's for Cutler and Cutler may not even be as good as Romo. If some of you want to go back to winning 5 games a year with journeymen QB's trade Romo before finding his replacement and you'll get just that 5 wins maybe. Trading Romo BEFORE finding a solid replacement has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you think franchise QB's grow on trees and are easy to find look at the Commanders 18 year odyssey before striking gold with RG3.

Kilyin

Reaction score
KJJ;4943768 said:
The Roy Williams trade was a result of Crayton not getting it done as a starter. It was a desperation move by Jerry during the season that blew up in his face.

LOL, k.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboys1981;4943774 said:
Trading Romo means we address the position early in draft. My post was to entertain the thread. Logically, we would have to get picks in addition to Berry if we trade Romo. Use those picks for trench players. On the Oline side we need guards that can block and protect the "A" gap. If we don't do so we will see a repeat of this season.

Reality:
Romo stays.

This isn't a strong QB crop how do you know you won't end up with a Blalne Gabbert with the pick? You can't just go with the best QB that's left on the board and hope they turn out. You never said anything about wanting more than Berry in a trade for Romo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kilyin;4943789 said:

Just giving you the facts look at Crayton's numbers prior to the trade for Roy Williams. The trade happened several games into the season it was a desperation move by Jerry to try and save the 08 season that was slipping away. He wanted to pair TO and Roy Williams and it blew up in his face. Care to deny that? lol

cowboys1981

Reaction score
KJJ;4943791 said:
This isn't a strong QB crop how do you know you won't end up with a Balne Gabbert with the pick? You can't just go with the best QB that's left on the board and hope they turn out. You never said anything about wanting more than Berry in a trade for Romo.

As I stated the original post was me spit balling. If we were to actually trade Romo to the Chiefs I would have to take Berry and picks; preferably future picks as part of package.

In this years draft there not only is a QB, or even a true #1 pick overall.

You're right what if we get Gabbert 2.0. Heck what if we draft a steal? It's 50/50 either way. It would take a lot for Dallas to trade Romo. Reality and logic point to Romo staying put.

Gameover

Reaction score
KJJ;4943763 said:
How many games do you expect the Cowboys to win with Orton? How long do you think it will take the Cowboys to find a QB who gives them as good a chance to win or better than Romo?

Don't care on either front.If we don't win with Orton, another top 5 pick!

I truly believe the Cowboys can go 8-8 with Orton.You guys seriously overrate Romo

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Derekmtl85;4943147 said:
Yes, i would.

Then trade down, get a bunch of great picks, re-tool our O-line and D-line completely, use Orton for next year where we would draft a QB.

Of course, it would probably mean no playoffs next year, but it would be worth it if we can get 3-4 SOLID core pieces for our lines in 1 draft.

Of course, from what i see i'm in the minority. :p

This is the direction I would go. Get the top pick, Trade down a bit. Then trade down a bit more and add picks, then make some solid first round picks and start retooling around the young core. I would sacrifice next season to be a solid contender for the next decade. So yes, yes I most certainly would do that.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4943821 said:
This is the direction I would go. Get the top pick, Trade down a bit. Then trade down a bit more and add picks, then make some solid first round picks and start retooling around the young core. I would sacrifice next season to be a solid contender for the next decade. So yes, yes I most certainly would do that.

Or if we trade with Chiefs and take Berry in return with multiple picks; hypothetically a 3 rd or 4 th rd pick in'13 and their #1 '14 pick. I wouldn't want the #1 overall this season because I don't see a team wanting to trade up for that pick since there really isn't a true #1. Letting KC keep its #1 overall this season will allow them to draft BPA on there board and be forced to overpay for the player they select.

Kilyin

Reaction score
KJJ;4943794 said:
Just giving you the facts look at Crayton's numbers prior to the trade for Roy Williams. The trade happened several games into the season it was a desperation move by Jerry to try and save the 08 season that was slipping away. He wanted to pair TO and Roy Williams and it blew up in his face. Care to deny that? lol

Crayton was the #2 when that trade happened during the season. Fact is he should have never been more than the #3/slot receiver, as that's where he played best.

Roy Williams trade was made with the expectation that he'd eventually be the #1 guy, which at the time was held by TO. You don't give up that much for a guy unless you seriously believe he's going to be the #1 receiver and difference maker on your team (...lol)

Jerry didn't go get Roy Williams to replace Patrick Crayton.

Fastphilly

Reaction score
Andy Reid is in this deal for the long term. There is noway he trades for a QB that is nearing the end of his career with a horrible post season record in his resume. This would be a Carson Palmer Part 2 deal that still reeks of a Raiders booty rape by Cincy . Chiefs fans have seen the QB left overs after Montana and all of them never panned out. Why would Romo be any different?

If the Hunts still had Todd Haley and Pioli they may have taken the bait. Andy would never bite. This deal is a Big D pipe dream:laugh1: ..Move along

Hoofbite

Reaction score
mmillman;4943445 said:
absolutely but it will never happen.

Dallas, unfortunately, needs to start thinking about the future. Romo, Witten, Ware are all past their primes.

Witten?

Describe "prime".