Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KB1122

Reaction score
Now what the Cowboys should have done in 2012 was trade up for Griffin, see if Griffin was the real deal, then come back this year and trade Romo for draft picks to make up for the draft picks given up for Griffin. That was my thinking.

We weren't going to get Luck in 2012. But if we had lost out, Colts-like, in 2011, instead of winning five meaningless games ....

SWG9

Reaction score
Straight common sense would dictate this hypothetical trade would make sense for Dallas.

You're trading a depreciating asset (Romo) for an appreciating asset. You can trade down in the draft and stockpile more assets or stay put and get younger at a critical position. The #1 pick overall is no longer cost prohibitive, so that's not an issue. Plus you save money since you don't have to re-sign Romo to a large extension. It's a no brainer.

Unless of course...

You think Dallas was only a couple of plays away from getting into the playoffs (which happens every year), and if they could have just avoided some injuries (which also happen every year) and executed a little better at the end of the season(which also happens every year), they could have got to the Superbowl etc., etc.

Same song, different verse. This team blows it every year, it's time to shake it up a little and let the chips fall.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SWG9;4943602 said:
Straight common sense would dictate this hypothetical trade would make sense for Dallas.

You're trading a depreciating asset (Romo) for an appreciating asset. You can trade down in the draft and stockpile more assets or stay put and get younger at a critical position. The #1 pick overall is no longer cost prohibitive, so that's not an issue. Plus you save money since you don't have to re-sign Romo to a large extension. It's a no brainer.

I'll keep saying this.

It would not be Romo for the overall number one pick, straight up. That's nuts. it would never happen.

It would be Romo and maybe our 1st rounder this year and next year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheXFactor;4943585 said:
The argument can be made that Romo is actually better when he has to come from behind. Just look at most of the wins this season.

That argument doesn't hold up very well when you look at the 6 do or die games he's lost. Some of Romo's worst mistakes have come when he's had to bring the Cowboys from behind. Most of his turnovers have occurred when the Cowboys are behind it's caused him to press. The only die or die game he's ever won was when the Cowboys had a lead and he was able to manage the game. Nine of Romo's 19 int's this season came in 2 games where the Cowboys were behind. His worst moment all season came last week when the Cowboys were behind.

KB1122

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4943325 said:
Yes. No hesitation. Use that #1 pick to get as many picks as much leverage as possible for next year and then tradeup for Bridgewater.

Great minds think alike. :)

cowboysooner

Reaction score
DFWJC;4943608 said:
I'll keep saying this.

It would not be Romo for the overall number one pick, straight up. That's nuts. it would never happen.

Nobody is going to trade a quarterback with 3 year qb ratings between 90-104 AND a first round pick or 2 for a NON-QB #1 pick.

No one is going to trade Romo and a #1 or two for Suh, Gerald McCoy, or Matt Kalil.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
KJJ;4943611 said:
That argument doesn't hold up very well when you look at the 6 do or die games he's lost. Some of Romo's worst mistakes have come when he's had to bring the Cowboys from behind. Most of his turnovers have occurred when the Cowboys are behind it's caused him to press. The only die or die game he's ever won was when the Cowboys had a lead and he was able to manage the game. Nine of Romo's 19 int's this season came in 2 games where the Cowboys were behind. His worst moment all season came last week when the Cowboys were behind.

True, but answer this truthfully. Would you rather be up by 10 or down by 10 with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter?

KB1122

Reaction score
DFWJC;4943608 said:
I'll keep saying this.

Maybe not that much. QB is too important, and KC is screwed there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you're going to trade for the #1 overall pick you do it when there's a can't miss QB sitting there. Problem is any team that has the #1 overall pick usually needs a QB. I haven't seen one good plan yet for replacing Romo if you trade him. There isn't going to be a QB worth taking #1 overall in this draft maybe not even in the top 5 so what do you do with the pick if you have it and you're the Cowboys?

You won't have Romo because you traded him for the pick so what do you do? No matter what the Cowboys did with the pick they would struggle to win 5 games next season without a solid QB. This isn't the year to be trading for the #1 overall pick. I would rather trade Ware for a #1 somewhere than not have a QB I can win with for the next who knows how many years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheXFactor;4943622 said:
True, but answer this truthfully. Would you rather be up by 10 or down by 10 with 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter?

I would rather be up by 10 with 8 minutes to play in the 4th quarter who wouldn't? What are you getting at? Your best chance to win games with Romo at QB is to have the lead late and hope your defense and running game come through. Romo can win games and lose games.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
KJJ;4943637 said:
If you're going to trade for the #1 overall pick you do it when there's a can't miss QB sitting there. Problem is any team that has the #1 overall pick usually needs a QB. I haven't seen one good plan yet for replacing Romo if you trade him. There isn't going to be a QB worth taking #1 overall in this draft maybe not even in the top 5 so what do you do with the pick if you have it and you're the Cowboys?

You won't have Romo because you traded him for the pick so what do you do? No matter what the Cowboys did with the pick they would struggle to win 5 games next season without a solid QB. This isn't the year to be trading for the #1 overall pick. I would rather trade Ware for a #1 somewhere than not have a QB I can win with for the next who knows how many years.

That is exactly what you do. You can't be half pregnant.

You trade Ware for a #1, trade Witten with Romo for a pick or young player. If Miles is not in your long term plan or Ratliff you get rid of their contracts. You franchise/ trade Spencer or make him your center piece front 7 guy if you think he has 5 good years left and you draft some young pass rushers, safeties and offensive linemen. You have about 7 core pieces from the past 3 drafts plus some other decent young players like Carr, Harris, Hannah, Lissmore.

You clear your cap and stink for 1 or 2 years and then get good again.

You don't do that if you think you are close to contending, but you have to be honest with yourself if you are actually in the 7-9, 9-7 NFL purgatory.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4943325 said:
Yes. No hesitation. Use that #1 pick to get as many picks as much leverage as possible for next year and then tradeup for Bridgewater.

How do you know his stock won't drop after next year? If it doesn't and everyone is drooling over him come April 2014 how do you know the Cowboys would be able to trade up for him? If they can't what do you do reach for the next best QB available? I promise you this the Cowboys trade Romo without having a solid QB already in place ready to take over it will be the biggest mistake of Jerry's tenure as owner of the Cowboys.

Not having Romo would cause him to get desperate for a QB and desperation at the position usually causes big mistakes. It can lead to one mistake after another which can lead to some very lean years much leaner than we're seeing now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

Thats a no brainer yes. Although I dont think there is a QB worth taking there. Maybe get that stud DT or DE you are looking for there. Or trade down and get a couple of first rounders out of it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943656 said:
That is exactly what you do. You can't be half pregnant.

You trade Ware for a #1, trade Witten with Romo for a pick or young player. If Miles is not in your long term plan or Ratliff you get rid of their contracts. You franchise/ trade Spencer or make him your center piece front 7 guy if you think he has 5 good years left and you draft some young pass rushers, safeties and offensive linemen. You have about 7 core pieces from the past 3 drafts plus some other decent young players like Carr, Harris, Hannah, Lissmore.

You clear your cap and stink for 1 or 2 years and then get good again.

You don't do that if you think you are close to contending, but you have to be honest with yourself if you are actually in the 7-9, 9-7 NFL purgatory.

You trade Ware for a #1. Then you trade Witten AND Romo for a PICK or young player??? Dude that could lead to a miscarriage. Some of the things you're suggesting could possibly leave the Cowboys in worst shape than KC. Coming here is like spending an evening at the Laugh Factory. :laugh2:

Kilyin

Reaction score
KJJ;4943596 said:
Who was Wes Welker before he arrived in NE? Ochostinko was washed up when he got to NE Brady hardly ever looked his way when he was on the field. Romo puts up numbers every year but a lot of his his passing yards are due to yards after the catch from his receivers. Most of Austin's 250 yards against KC in 09 came after the catch. Things would be a lot different for Romo in KC and it's silly to think it wouldn't be.

He wouldn't have a Jason Witten to bail him out with over 100 catches. He's never had to go without Witten. Although KC runs the ball well their pass protection isn't any better than the Cowboys. I'm literally laughing out loud at those who think Romo could turn a 2-14 KC team into a winner when he has a losing record with the Cowboys the past 3 years. Put Romo on any team other than the Cowboys and he'll win that seems to be the new theme now. :laugh2:

Most of Welker's yards are after the catch.

What did Crayton do without Romo in San Diego? Played his way out of the league.

Who was Miles Austin before he caught Tony Romo's bomb(s) in preseason and made the roster. He probably wouldn't even be in the NFL if he hadn't been playing here.

Tony Romo got Jesse Holley a job with New England. What happened after that, without Romo? Unemployed.

How far has Dez Bryant come under Romo's tutelage?

It isn't really a stretch to say with Romo, KC could have gone 8-8 or better, especially with their running game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Kilyin;4943695 said:
It isn't really a stretch to say with Romo, KC could have gone 8-8 or better, especially with their running game.
No stretch at all. Look at their scores, schedule, and the players on their team.
Nobody knows, but my guess is they would go at least 9-7, assuming they were not killed by injuries like Dallas was.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Eddie;4943085 said:
I would trade any of our players for top round draft picks.

Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack jump over the candle stick.

Ouch, I think I burned my butt just saying that.

:lmao:

:star: RedBall ExPreSS:star:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kilyin;4943695 said:
Most of Welker's yards are after the catch.

What did Crayton do without Romo in San Diego? Played his way out of the league.

Who was Miles Austin before he caught Tony Romo's bomb(s) in preseason and made the roster. He probably wouldn't even be in the NFL if he hadn't been playing here.

Tony Romo got Jesse Holley a job with New England. What happened after that, without Romo? Unemployed.

How far has Dez Bryant come under Romo's tutelage?

Point is Welker was just another receiver until he was paired up with Brady. Crayton was on the way down when he went to San Diego that's why the Cowboys parted with him. It took Austin 4 years to become a solid NFL WR it was playing experience that led to that. As for Jesse Holley he caught one meaningful pass with the Cowboys and was sent packing. He's unemployed because he can't play. As for Dez it's taken him 3 years to learn how to be an NFL WR I wouldn't be giving all the credit to Romo. Roy Williams never panned out with Romo so a lot of it is the receiver being on the same page with the QB. It comes down to chemistry between the QB and receiver.

It's a big stretch for anyone to think Romo who hasn't won more than 8 games in Dallas the past 3 years can make a 2-14 KC team a winner. It's easy for anyone to speculate how Romo would do on another team but his last 3 seasons with the Cowboys is a good indicator that he wouldn't succeed on a team worse than the one he's currently on. Especially a team without a Jason Witten who Romo has relied on heavily for 7 years.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
If we were to trade Romo to the Chiefs I would like Eric Berry in return.