Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kilyin;4943846 said:
Crayton was the #2 when that trade happened during the season. Fact is he should have never been more than the #3/slot receiver, as that's where he played best.

Roy Williams trade was made with the expectation that he'd eventually be the #1 guy, which at the time was held by TO. You don't give up that much for a guy unless you seriously believe he's going to be the #1 receiver and difference maker on your team (...lol)

Jerry didn't go get Roy Williams to replace Patrick Crayton.

Jerry traded for Roy Williams to replace Crayton as the #2 receiver and that's what happened he replaced him. Roy was never considered a #1 receiver by most around the league. No one knew at the time of the Williams trade that the Cowboys would be moving on from TO after that season. That speculation didn't start until after that season. In Dec TO blew up on the sidelines during the loss to Pittsburgh. A story by Ed Werder came out that TO and Witten came to blows after that game and that TO was tearing the locker room apart.

Both TO and Witten denied there was ever a fight between them and TO called Werder a liar. The entire episode created a big distraction and many in the media blamed it for the Cowboys season going down the drain that year. After the season Jerry said he was going to keep TO because speculation was brewing that the Cowboys were ready to cut ties with him. It was reported that Stephen in a heated argument talked Jerry into releasing TO. Crayton was never what the Cowboys wanted at the #2 WR position which is why he replaced by an injured Terry Glenn in the playoffs in 07.

Glenn had only played in one game that season but was given his first start in the playoffs. After that season the Cowboys cut Glenn loose due to his injury and decided to go with Crayton as the #2. He wasn't producing consistently during the 08 season which caused Jerry to make the move for Roy Williams to try and give the offense a spark. Expectations were very high entering the 08 season and Jerry made a desperate move. Williams only produced 19 catches for less than 200 yards that season. That was a clear indication he would never amount to a #1 receiver.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Supercowboy1986;4943252 said:
You're ridicolous. Romo is easily a top 10 QB in this league and MAYBE even argubly top 5. Any coach will tell you that he is a great QB and if KC had the chance to trade for Romo they would. As someone already mentioned KC is not a scrub team, do not let the record fool you. You are right he has lost big games in the past (and most recently a few weeks ago)but he's also won a ton more that we should of lost. If Romo was traded to KC, that would propel them to being a strong contender or even favorite to win it all.
Are you even old enough to post on this site? What's the age limit here?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gameover;4943816 said:
Don't care on either front.If we don't win with Orton, another top 5 pick!

I truly believe the Cowboys can go 8-8 with Orton.You guys seriously overrate Romo

From reading some of the comments here it's almost like some of you want the Cowboys to be picking in the top 5 every year. Some of what's being suggested is why the Chiefs are in the boat they're in. They traded Allen and Gonzales and became worse. They traded proven players for a roll of the dice in the draft and now look at them. No team in their right mind is going to trade a top 10 QB and leave themselves with a scrub like Kyle Orton. Kyle Orton is a QB that the Bears dumped along with 2 #1's.

Kyle Orton is a QB that got sent packing in Denver in favor of Tim Tebow who couldn't even beat out a dud like Mark Sanchez in NY. Kyle Orton is a QB that KC dumped in favor of the 2 stiffs that helped make them a 2-14 team this season. I truly believe the Cowboys wouldn't win more than 5 games with Kyle Orton a QB.

You can forget big production with Orton at QB or seeing Houdini like escapes. Having Orton lead the team would be reminiscent of the days with Vinny and Bledsoe. I have my issues with Romo but NO WAY would I trade him until I have a QB that gives me a chance to win games and compete for the playoffs. The Cowboys live with the pass they will struggle to win games without a productive passer who throws TD's.and can extend plays by escaping the rush. Check Orton's career stats I see no chance of the Cowboys competing with him at OB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're ridicolous. Romo is easily a top 10 QB in this league and MAYBE even argubly top 5. Any coach will tell you that he is a great QB and if KC had the chance to trade for Romo they would.

If Romo is all that then why the hell trade him???

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
As someone already mentioned KC is not a scrub team, do not let the record fool you.

You are what your record says you are in my book any team that finishes 2-14 and fires 2 head coaches in 2 seasons is a scrub team.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Those of you suggesting the Cowboys trade Romo to KC how would you feel if the trade were to happen and KC ends up having a better season than the Cowboys next year? Would you still feel it was the right move and a move that will ultimately make the Cowboys a better team? I can't think of any team that's ever traded their starting QB who was a current top 10 QB at the time and had nothing behind them but a scrub.

When SF traded Montana they had Steve Young who they were winning games with. Carson Palmer was only traded because he didn't want to play for Cinn anymore and fortunately for them they had an Andy Dalton on the board that April. Indy risked letting Peyton Manning go only because they had Andrew Luck waiting for them with the #1 overall pick. Jerry would NEVER trade Romo unless he had a lot better QB than Kyle Orton to replace him with. Don't think he's forgotten what he had to endure trying to replace Aikman. It was musical chairs at QB for 6 long years. Even Jerry commented that Romo was a miracle just go back and see how bad it was before he came along.

The absolute dumbest move a team could ever make especially in this era of having to throw the ball to win is to trade their starting QB who still gives them hope and leave themselves with a QB that gives them ZERO hope. If you think it may only take a season or two to replace Romo with an elite QB you better think again. The Cowboys could be searching for more than 6 years this time around. If a QB is done then you move on with no hesitation or fear of regret but Romo isn't near done. You can't win in the NFL consistently if you don't have a top 10 QB especially a team like the Cowboys that can't run the ball or play solid defense.

The Cowboys aren't the Broncos they're not built to win 8 games with a Tebow. They don't have near the running game or the defense to compete without a prolific QB who can make plays. The Cowboys will end up in the basement of the NFC East without Romo. Check all the games the team won this past season because of him. The Cowboys would have won no more than 3-4 games with Orton.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

This year, no.

Next year, yes.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

Dez is going to need a productive QB to continue progressing. He and Romo are finally starting to click this is not the time to retool at QB unless you can get an Andrew Luck or RG3. Pair Dez with Orton and he'll be lucky to have 800 yards and 6 TD's next season.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Zordon;4943194 said:
The majority of the smart posters agree with you. A proactive franchise would do this. Cowboys used to be that. Not anymore. They will ride romo, witten, and ware until they're applying for social security.

:laugh2:

I agree. Jerry likes to hold onto players until their trade value is useless.

He held on to Aikman and Deion for too long. Yes, I said Aikman. Aikman began to show decline after the 96 season. I think he had taken one too many hits to the nogging. We should have let him go or shipped him out. Understandably, that would have been difficult because Aikman is a legend in Dallas. Still, the game stands still for no one. And if Joe Montana could be let go via a trade, no one is untouchable.

Now if the time to trade Romo if that's even a consideration - which I doubt it is. Unfortunately, I believe Witten's and Ware's best days are behind them. Unless we get major talent around them, they may waste their years here searching for that elusive Super Bowl appearance.

If you're going to trade them, now is the time to do it. If you're going to let them grow old with the team, then Dallas is going to ****** its ability to put together a young team with new stars who can lead us into the future.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4943821 said:
This is the direction I would go. Get the top pick, Trade down a bit. Then trade down a bit more and add picks, then make some solid first round picks and start retooling around the young core. I would sacrifice next season to be a solid contender for the next decade. So yes, yes I most certainly would do that.

You said this better than I did. :)

Zordon

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4944458 said:

He held on to Aikman and Deion for too long. Yes, I said Aikman. Aikman began to show decline after the 96 season. I think he had taken one too many hits to the nogging. We should have let him go or shipped him out. Understandably, that would have been difficult because Aikman is a legend in Dallas. Still, the game stands still for no one. And if Joe Montana could be let go via a trade, no one is untouchable.

Now if the time to trade Romo if that's even a consideration - which I doubt it is. Unfortunately, I believe Witten's and Ware's best days are behind them. Unless we get major talent around them, they may waste their years here searching for that elusive Super Bowl appearance.

If you're going to trade them, now is the time to do it. If you're going to let them grow old with the team, then Dallas is going to ****** its ability to put together a young team with new stars who can lead us into the future.
Honestly I would have started the process after the 2010 debacle. I never once blamed Wade for all our troubles. I've always believe that there is something missing in the chemistry of this core group of players. What the Texans did with Mario Williams is something I would have loved our franchise to do with many of our older players a few years ago. The problem is we can't draft consistently well. If we could, then our salary cap would be looking a lot better right now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4943821 said:
This is the direction I would go. Get the top pick, Trade down a bit. Then trade down a bit more and add picks, then make some solid first round picks and start retooling around the young core. I would sacrifice next season to be a solid contender for the next decade. So yes, yes I most certainly would do that.

Jerry hasn't had much success trading down check his trade down history. One of his worst drafts on record was in 09 when he kept trading down for more and more picks. The more you trade down the more your odds of hitting on an impact player reduce. Even Jerry has admitted trading down hasn't always worked for him. His best moves have come when he's either stayed pat or traded up. I don't like the idea of trading for the #1 overall pick then traded down and adding more picks.

That's fine if you're a 2-14 team that has a ton of holes but the draft is a crapshoot and there's no guarantees that when you start picking after trading down your selections will turn out to be solid picks. If you're going to trade your starting QB to move up to the #1 overall pick you only do it if there's a QB you're going to take with that pick. You don't start getting cute by trading down for more and more picks especially if you just got through trading away your QB.

Checkout Jerry's history of trade downs compared to when he's stayed pat or traded up and see what's worked out better for him overall. The best players he's drafted he either traded up for or stayed pat. When he had the #1 overall pick he stayed pat and ended up with Aikman and Russell Maryland.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
tyke1doe;4944458 said:

I would rather have watched Aikman and Co. go down with the ship (as long as they were trying their best) than ship him out and win 4 Super Bowls in a row with more mercenary players (like Deion unfortunately). I feel the same for Ware, Witten, etc. I want them to win, because I like them as players and people. Rooting for laundry is stupid. Rooting for laundry is essentially rooting for Jerry, since he is the only true constant of the team.

Jerryrage

Reaction score
With a record of 8-8. I would blow this over paid team up and start over. Starting with the 17 milion dollar choker.

Gaede

Reaction score
I would absolutely trade him for the number 1 pick. The only player I wouldn't would be Ware. But I'd actually consider that after this recent year.

No player should be 100% safe from trade if it greatly benefits the Cowboys

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. Andy Reid takes the job in KC where he has no QB, doesn't see a single blue chip player he can build a team around and decides to call up Jerry Jones to try and make a deal for Romo? This would have to be the weakest draft in history if that is his best case. Not a chance. With that all said, yes, I would take that trade so fast. I would change my son's name to Andy M.F. Reid if it helped even a little.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
respectdatstar;4944609 said:
So, let me get this straight. Andy Reid takes the job in KC where he has no QB, doesn't see a single blue chip player he can build a team around and decides to call up Jerry Jones to try and make a deal for Romo? This would have to be the weakest draft in history if that is his best case. Not a chance. With that all said, yes, I would take that trade so fast. I would change my son's name to Andy M.F. Reid if it helped even a little.

I agree that it won't happen.

But I don't think that Andy Reid and Clark Hunt are on some 5 or 7 year building up the talent base rebuilding project. They have already started that under the last year or two of Peterson and the 4 years of Pioli. They bet on the wrong quarterback and did so without a net.

When I look at the draft there is no way I would draft geno smith first overall.

I would bet Vick or Weeden end up in kc

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Super_Kazuya;4944582 said:
I would rather have watched Aikman and Co. go down with the ship (as long as they were trying their best) than ship him out and win 4 Super Bowls in a row with more mercenary players (like Deion unfortunately). I feel the same for Ware, Witten, etc. I want them to win, because I like them as players and people. Rooting for laundry is stupid. Rooting for laundry is essentially rooting for Jerry, since he is the only true constant of the team.

I understand your feelings. It's hard to let go of players who have meant so much to the Cowboys and their fans.

I guess it's a matter of philosophy - whether to show loyalty to the end and delay rebuilding or whether to be merciless, cut or trade even your best players before they decline and speed up your rebuilding project.

The problem with the former scenario is that an owner and coach may believe that that veteran team (with the right auxillary components) may be able to make one last run.

That's what has happened to the Cowboys. We thought Aikman and Co. had one more Super Bowl in them. They didn't.

Here, we think that if we get a few more pieces around Romo, Witten and Ware, they might be able to take that next step to the Super Bowl.

We'll see if this is the case or whether it will be the same as the last days of the Aikman years.