Would you trade Romo for the #1 pick?

superpunk

Reaction score
KJJ;4943481 said:
Romo would have had little success in KC this season with the team they have. Cassel and Quinn combined for 27 turnovers and 40 sacks. Romo had 22 turnovers and was sacked 36 times on a team far more talented. A turnover prone gunslinger isn't a good fit for a team like KC they need a steady QB who can play mistake free football. KC's problems aren't just QB related they have issues that go deeper. Romo turns the ball over a lot and with KC's lack of talent at receiver that would lead to sacks and forced throws into coverage.

KC does run the ball well but they need a QB who can take on a big load and not fold under it. Funny how some FANS say all Romo needs is a better team around him to win a ring and now you have FANS saying he could be successful in KC and one even claimed he could possibly lead them to a championship. :laugh2: One minute FANS say Romo needs a better team around him and the next minute they say he could take a crap team like KC and turn them into a winner. :rolleyes: If he can't win with the Cowboys he sure as hell isn't going to win in KC.
If he was in KC the end results would have probably been nearly identical to here. He would have put up gaudy numbers and been one of the highest rated passers in the league, and they would have allowed one of the worst passer ratings in the NFL - just like happened here.

The only caveat(s) would be that getting that kind of performance from your QB should make your defense better, but that's just hypothetical. In addition I think SD would have been an easier mark than NYG. OAK/PHI is a wash. Maybe with a Charles-led running game he forces less passes. Again, hypothetical.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
superpunk;4943489 said:
If he was in KC the end results would have probably been nearly identical to here. He would have put up gaudy numbers and been one of the highest rated passers in the league, and they would have allowed one of the worst passer ratings in the NFL - just like happened here.

The only caveat(s) would be that getting that kind of performance from your QB should make your defense better, but that's just hypothetical. In addition I think SD would have been an easier mark than NYG. OAK/PHI is a wash. Maybe with a Charles-led running game he forces less passes. Again, hypothetical.

I don't know about that. KC's OL is much better then ours. Also, Reid is a better coach then Garrett is at this point in time. JMO of course.

superpunk

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943493 said:
I don't know about that. KC's OL is much better then ours. Also, Reid is a better coach then Garrett is at this point in time. JMO of course.
We're talking about this season.

KC was one of the few teams that allowed a worse passer rating than we did, and only slightly. They got outstanding production from their run game, we got outstanding QB play. Since QB play corresponds more to winning in the NFL, we went 8-8 (which is about as good as you can expect, given the poor performance of our pass defense), they have the first pick in the draft.

If anyone is wondering about the difference Romo makes, there it is. If not for him, we are probably the Chiefs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;4943480 said:
I maintain that if Romo is in a balanced offense with time to throw and a good defense to play with, he is a top 5 QB in the NFL.
Sometimes you are spot on.

ABQCOWBOY;4943493 said:
KC's OL is much better then ours.

Other times......... :D

ghst187

Reaction score
TheSport78;4943106 said:
Not in this draft. In 2014, yes.

or would have this past draft to take Luck. In fact, I'd have given up Romo and all of the rest of our 2012 draft picks for Luck.
This year I'm not sure there are any franchise QBs to draft and certainly none worth the overall #1 so would say definitely no for 2013.
In 2014, I would suspect Manziel will be available.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943401 said:
No I don't. KC has a lot of talent on both sides of the ball and say what you will about Reid, he can coach offense.

They have good young talent on the OL. They have Hillis and Charles at RB. They have Bowe, Breaston, McCluster and Baldwin at WR. They are at the bottom of the league in passing but they are top 5 in rushing.

Defensively, they have Shawn Smith, Dontari Poe, on the DL. They have Houston and Hali at OLB and Derrick Johnson at ILB. They have Flowers and Arenas at CB and Berry at Safety. They are young and loaded on defense. They are the number 8 scoring defense in the league last year.

Yeah, I could see how they could be contending in a year or two easily.

I don't see KC as a very talented team hard to go 2-14 with a talented team. They were 10-6 in 2010. They were 7-9 in 2011 and now they're 2-14 it's been a steady decline. They traded Jared Allen to Minn a few years ago for a #1 and a #3 and got worse because of it but it made the Vikings better. They traded Tony Gonzalez to Atlanta for a #2 a few years ago and got worse because of it but it made the Falcons better. Good players don't want to be part of that organization.

As for their receiving corp it's average and they may let their best receiver Dwayne Bowe walk. I don't see KC contending anytime soon. Sure Romo would be an upgrade at QB for them but he's got his own set of drawbacks that would keep them from becoming any better than the Cowboys have under him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
superpunk;4943506 said:
We're talking about this season.

KC was one of the few teams that allowed a worse passer rating than we did, and only slightly. They got outstanding production from their run game, we got outstanding QB play. Since QB play corresponds more to winning in the NFL, we went 8-8 (which is about as good as you can expect, given the poor performance of our pass defense), they have the first pick in the draft.

If anyone is wondering about the difference Romo makes, there it is. If not for him, we are probably the Chiefs.

No, your talking about this season. I'm talking about what Romo could accomplish in KC if here were traded. Obviously that would mean future season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
superpunk;4943489 said:

KC doesn't have the receivers for Romo to put up the numbers he did with the Cowboys this season. They don't have a Jason Witten as a security blanket for him. They have an average receiving corp which would have resulted in Romo having to hang on to the ball and being sacked more than the 36 times he was in Dallas. It would have resulted in more than the 22 turnovers he had. KC runs the ball well so that would have kept Romo's numbers down as well. Romo has to be managed.

Section446

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

I'd trade him for any first or second round pick.

superpunk

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943528 said:
No, your talking about this season. I'm talking about what Romo could accomplish in KC if here were traded. Obviously that would mean future season.
Yes I know. You are the only one talking about that. I was responding to KJJ. *We* were talking about this season, not how Romo would do in KC with Reid next year.

superpunk

Reaction score
KJJ;4943532 said:
KC doesn't have the receivers for Romo to put up the numbers he did with the Cowboys this season. They don't have a Jason Witten as a security blanket for him. They have an average receiving corp which would have resulted in Romo having to hang on to the ball and being sacked more than the 36 times he was in Dallas. It would have resulted in more than the 22 turnovers he had. KC runs the ball well so that would have kept Romo's numbers down as well.
The idea that the receivers make Romo and not the other way around is absurdly foolish. The Chiefs have talent at receiver (two first rounders at WR, Moeaki and Charles/McCluckcluck out of the backfield) they simply have noone to get them the ball. Romo is a kingmaker.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4943515 said:
Sometimes you are spot on.

Other times......... :D

Well, I see one quality Lineman on our OL. In KC, I see Brandon Albert (1st Rd age 28), Jeff Allen (2nd Rd Rookie), Jon Asamoah (3rd Rd age 24), Eric Winston (3rd Rd age 29).

I think your selling KC's OL line short Big Dog. Seriously, all of those guys are talented.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
superpunk;4943539 said:
The idea that the receivers make Romo and not the other way around is absurdly foolish. The Chiefs have talent at receiver (two first rounders at WR, Moeaki and Charles/McCluckcluck out of the backfield) they simply have noone to get them the ball. Romo is a kingmaker.

No one is saying the receivers make Romo at least I'm not but every QB needs talent at WR and Romo's had talent at WR ever since he's been in Dallas plus he's had a great TE in Jason Witten. Romo isn't Brady who can make any receiver good or Ogletree would be a productive receiver. Having 2 first round receivers doesn't mean they're not average receivers.

superpunk

Reaction score
KJJ;4943552 said:
No one is saying the receivers make Romo at least I'm not but every QB needs talent at WR and Romo's had talent at WR ever since he's been in Dallas plus he's had a great TE in Jason Witten. Romo isn't Brady who can make any receiver good or Ogletree would be a productive receiver. Having 2 first round receivers doesn't mean they're not average receivers.
lol Brady has had stacked receiving corps too since they stopped winning super bowls. That's like faulting Brady for Chad Jackson, Ochocinco and co. not working out, ridiculous. Romo puts up numbers year in and year out no matter who the receivers are, just like Eli does. We've cycled many through here, from T.O. to Crayton and Glenn and Robinson to what we have today, every one of them sees extraordinary production once they team up with #9. KC would be no different.

Reaction score
cowboysooner;4943083 said:
I heard this question from Bill Barnwell Grantland's lead football writer. He thinks the Chiefs should do this, but should the Cowboys?

I can see the rationale on the Cowboys' side. Clear out the aging but good or great players for draft picks and future cap room (Romo, Ware perhaps Spencer or Miles). Get rid of the bad contracts (Free, Ratliff) play a year with Orton. Find a young qb.

Retool around Dez, Lee, Smith, Carter Murray, Claiborne, Carr.

any team that isn't contending and has a 30+ year old QB would make that trade,,, provided the draft has a real deal #1 QB available. Time is running out on Romo and what's infuriating even more is that he's spent his entire career running for his life and not developing as a real pp let passer would.

KB1122

Reaction score
You could theoretically trade Romo for the No. 1 pick this year, then trade the No. 1 pick for a slew of picks next year, then use that slew of picks next year to trade up for Bridgewater.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943281 said:
When Romo is not having to come from behind every game, he is a top 5 QB. When he can be comfortable in the pocket, he is as good a QB as there is in this league. The problem for us is that we don't have the talent to allow him to do that. Imagine how good Romo could be with a good young OL and a top 5 running game?

The argument can be made that Romo is actually better when he has to come from behind. Just look at most of the wins this season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4943551 said:
Well, I see one quality Lineman on our OL. In KC, I see Brandon Albert (1st Rd age 28), Jeff Allen (2nd Rd Rookie), Jon Asamoah (3rd Rd age 24), Eric Winston (3rd Rd age 29).

I think your selling KC's OL line short Big Dog. Seriously, all of those guys are talented.
It's almost night and day.
I'm not sure how anyone could compare the two right now.
And the idea that Jamaal Charles et al would hurt your passing game is, well, absurd.

Plus, in this deal, KC would be getting at the very least our 1st rounder this year and maybe next year too.

BTW, I'm not sure he was saying our Wrs make Tony, just that they aren't bad.

And please guys, lets keep Brady out of this conversation. That's a whole diff deal, imo.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
superpunk;4943566 said:
lol Brady has had stacked receiving corps too since they stopped winning super bowls. That's like faulting Brady for Chad Jackson, Ochocinco and co. not working out, ridiculous. Romo puts up numbers year in and year out no matter who the receivers are, just like Eli does. We've cycled many through here, from T.O. to Crayton and Glenn and Robinson to what we have today, every one of them sees extraordinary production once they team up with #9. KC would be no different.

Who was Wes Welker before he arrived in NE? Ochostinko was washed up when he got to NE Brady hardly ever looked his way when he was on the field. Romo puts up numbers every year but a lot of his his passing yards are due to yards after the catch from his receivers. Most of Austin's 250 yards against KC in 09 came after the catch. Things would be a lot different for Romo in KC and it's silly to think it wouldn't be.

He wouldn't have a Jason Witten to bail him out with over 100 catches. He's never had to go without Witten. Although KC runs the ball well their pass protection isn't any better than the Cowboys. I'm literally laughing out loud at those who think Romo could turn a 2-14 KC team into a winner when he has a losing record with the Cowboys the past 3 years. Put Romo on any team other than the Cowboys and he'll win that seems to be the new theme now. :laugh2: