Would you trade Zeke for a 2nd round pick?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I actually expect Zeke to rebound.

He can be cut or traded after next season, and then he losses a whole lot of cash.

Either he becomes a "what if" in NFL history, or he becomes "it" next season.

kskboys

Reaction score

He can be cut or traded after next season, and then he losses a whole lot of cash.

I'm interested to see if Covid affected him. Something dang sure did.

Daillest88

Reaction score

seeing him the way he played against the eagles with that week off he looked like his old self. Fumbles are no excuse but I honestly think he was hurt more than we all thought. With the offense line hopefully coming back he has the biggest chance to rebound more that anyone.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If it weren’t for the cap hit I would do it in a heartbeat.

Unless we're pressed up against the cap, *when* we take a cap hit is just accounting. Push up some Zeke cap hit, push back someone else.

His cumulative cap hit doesn't *decrease* by keeping him and paying/guaranteeing him *more* money. Just gets worse. The cap hit already in arrears is all sunk cost at this point.

Batman1980

Reaction score
No...replace the 3rd string Oline we had with the actual starters and he will be more than serviceable. Top 3 back...probably not anymore but still more of a threat than any 2nd rounder would give you.

Tony Pollard plus a draft pick or a free agent behind a better OL with Dak would be more than good enough and far cheaper.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
If we can't execute a trade I really hope his regiment has an emphasis on recapturing his speed. Hes not fat, but he's added some bulk and I think its slowed him down.

In the one game he played well, he was actually trying to dodge defenders and I believe it was one of the best "missed tackle" counts any RB had all season. It was almost disconcerting in that it seemed Zeke could do it but didn't feel like it.

I agree about the speed. There were times where he was very close to breaking a big run and he is a step slow.

Overall, he just hasn't been particularly good this year and the glimpses where he plays better are almost a reminder of what he should look like. I assume Jerry isn't going to cut or trade him so I hopes he does what you say and comes in in better shape next year.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Even with the cap hit it would be worth it imo to get an additional 2nd.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Unfortunately you take a 10.8 mil cap hit if you trade Zeke.

so for that alone I wouldn’t.

Zeke can’t be moved on from until after next season
this is the obvious answer and we probably should have closed the thread here.
you can restructure Zeke and he costs about 6M next year or you can trade him and he costs 10.8M
I'm not that interested in losing him and creating a gaping hole at RB for a 2nd to save cap space in 2-3 years when the cap will have recovered and shot back up a ton.
keep zeke and get all you can out of him over next two years.
then you release him as a post june designee and eat little dead money in 2024.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Even with the cap hit it would be worth it imo to get an additional 2nd.
in no universe is a 2nd round pick worth eating that type of cap hit in a pandemic cap.
you aren't getting an extra anything really because you have to immediately draft a RB as you only have 1 true NFL RB on the roster.
so you are basically paying 10M to swap Zeke with someone like Javonte Williams.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The facts are the O line was in rough shape.
Elliott had a quad, hamstring and groin issue he played through.
And finally, a QB that actually threatens the defense and takes some heat off Elliott.
ALl these things will improve our run game.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
in no universe is a 2nd round pick worth eating that type of cap hit in a pandemic cap.
you aren't getting an extra anything really because you have to immediately draft a RB as you only have 1 true NFL RB on the roster.
so you are basically paying 10M to swap Zeke with someone like Javonte Williams.

If you keep Zeke on the roster this year more money becomes guaranteed next year. Would be worth it to rip off the bandaid now imo, especially getting a 2nd round pick that could help the defense. You don't save money this year but you save in the future and you add another piece to the defense.

Creeper

Reaction score
Unfortunately you take a 10.8 mil cap hit if you trade Zeke.

so for that alone I wouldn’t.

Zeke can’t be moved on from until after next season

If they trade him I believe that cap hit is only $5.3 million.

I don't think Zeke is earning his contract right now, but the guy I would trade is Amari Cooper. If they can get someone to take his contract the Cowboys would save $12 million in CAP space by not having to pay his $20 million salary. Cooper is a good WR and may bring a 2nd round pick. You don't get high draft picks for bad players.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score

I don't think Zeke is earning his contract right now, but the guy I would trade is Amari Cooper. If they can get someone to take his contract the Cowboys would save $12 million in CAP space by not having to pay his $20 million salary. Cooper is a good WR and may bring a 2nd round pick. You don't get high draft picks for bad players.
Cooper is clearly the best WR on a team with 3 top 10 WR's.

You can get a first rounder shipping off Gallup.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If you keep Zeke on the roster this year more money becomes guaranteed next year. Would be worth it to rip off the bandaid now imo, especially getting a 2nd round pick that could help the defense.
future caps which are far higher matter a lot less than this tighter cap and defense definitely needs help you have to have to get a RB that can handle the insane load Zeke does as a rusher, receiver and blocker....

so no, there's zero way i take a major hit in cap space to get worse at RB.

people lie to themselves about the level at which Zeke is playing and his overall contribution.
he wasn't a top 5 RB for the first time ever but he was still top 10 easily.
he still ended up with 1317 yards from scrimmage and 8 TDs with plus pass protection.

again you restructure his cap hit down to 6M and draft a RB mid to late draft. --you have 9 or 10 total picks.
you get 2 years of service then release him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Cooper costs less than that if you restructure him.
So you create less cap space to get rid of a top 10 WR.
Silliness.