CZ POLL Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry needs to do everything to keep both MM and KM.

Make KM 2nd assistant head coach, and increase his pay a little more once again. Promise KM that he is the Cowboys future head coach-in-training.

Jerry needs to keep these core coaches intact: McCarthy, Moore and Quinn.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, the poll asked if Moore was offered a HC spot, should the Cowboys fire MM and hire Moore as HC.
"Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?" I don't think this stipulates firing MM, right?

nobody

Reaction score
"Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?" I don't think this stipulates firing MM, right?

Yes, but read the first post, which sets the terms of the question:

"If after the season, Kellen Moore receives a head coach (NFL or college) offer that he plans to accept, would you want to fire Mike McCarthy and hire Kellen Moore as the Dallas Cowboys head coach or would you keep Mike McCarthy and let Kellen Moore leave?"

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, but read the first post, which sets the terms of the question:

"If after the season, Kellen Moore receives a head coach (NFL or college) offer that he plans to accept, would you want to fire Mike McCarthy and hire Kellen Moore as the Dallas Cowboys head coach or would you keep Mike McCarthy and let Kellen Moore leave?"
Sorry, I only read the actual poll question.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I think Moore’s going to be a really good coach in the NFL for a really long time.

McCarthy is just a good coach.

I’d roll the dice on Moore because he’s uniquely good at something that’s very hard to find. Even knowing how steep a learning curve he’s still got to climb. It wasn’t long ago people used the same argument for him to not be elevated to OC, and I think that transition was actually riskier than HC would be.

That said, it’s a great point that Dallas isn’t a good place for a first time HC. We went through it with Campo and Garrett both, and Jerry was a handful both times. They’d need to commit to developing KM properly if they do it. And we’d need Quinn on board snd committed to the program. I’m not sure how realistic that would be.
On topic, I would roll the dice on Moore if the Cowboys are one and done in the playoffs. If they make it to the NFC championship game or Super Bowl and just get beat by a better team, you almost can't make that move.

Off topic, how have you been @Idgit? I haven't seen you around much. I hope all is well and I miss your posts on the CZ.

garyo1954

Reaction score
BigMac and Brandon Staley are co-favorites to win Coach of the Year.
BigMac has 3 years left on his contract after this year.
I have to factor that in.

So do I fire the Coach of the Year and pay him 3 years for not coaching on a wing and a prayer that the youngster is ready?
Hmmmm......

Big Mac stays and I make deal with the kid he can't refuse.

Of course the question reads:
Would you want Kellen Moore hired as head coach if he were to leave after the season?

In that case, if Moore were leaving after this season, I'd certainly want it to be for a HC position (in the AFC).

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On topic, I would roll the dice on Moore if the Cowboys are one and done in the playoffs. If they make it to the NFC championship game or Super Bowl and just get beat by a better team, you almost can't make that move.

Off topic, how have you been @Idgit? I haven't seen you around much. I hope all is well and I miss your posts on the CZ.

I agree about making a change if the team has a Super Bowl appearance. I might still want to do it, but it wouldn’t happen.

I’ve been great. Last season was just a really hard one to watch. I was here regularly but didn’t engage nearly as much.

I have a really hard time enjoying things that are supposed to be escapes from reality when the story becomes something other than the sport. It’s the same for me with movies snd music. That’s not a commentary on either side of the social issues. It just makes sports a lot less fun in general. Throw in the anemic crowds, and an underperforming team, and there’s not a lot I wanted to debate, honestly.

This year had been much Moore fun, obviously.

tico

Reaction score
Nope, I believe playoff experience is a must to be HC in the NFL. That being said he has done a hella of a job and should build his resume here a couple of more years....

BEARCATSKLZ

Reaction score
If your best rainmaker takes all his accounts on his way out where does that leave the CEO who was on the street before lucking out with said rainmaker?

Best companies know how to identify AND retain/promote their up and coming talent.

Especially if your successful product is dependent on that talent.
Agree but you don't make the rainmaker the CEO, lol... agree make him assistance head coach and call it a day...

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I agree about making a change if the team has a Super Bowl appearance. I might still want to do it, but it wouldn’t happen.

I’ve been great. Last season was just a really hard one to watch. I was here regularly but didn’t engage nearly as much.

I have a really hard time enjoying things that are supposed to be escapes from reality when the story becomes something other than the sport. It’s the same for me with movies snd music. That’s not a commentary on either side of the social issues. It just makes sports a lot less fun in general. Throw in the anemic crowds, and an underperforming team, and there’s not a lot I wanted to debate, honestly.

This year had been much Moore fun, obviously.
I know exactly what you are talking about and yes, last season was brutal. I'm glad to see you on here man and I always appreciate your takes on the team. Let's toast to a hopefully better outcome this year - in many, many ways.

plasticman

Reaction score
Thanks for the championship, Mike.

Now, GET LOST!!!!

......Just doesn't seem right.

Zman5

Reaction score
There is something to be said about experience. And this isn't relevant just to football. MM won a SB and went to multiple NFCC games as the HC.
Being a HC is not the same as being a coordinator. How many of Patriots ex-coordinators had success as HC? None.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know exactly what you are talking about and yes, last season was brutal. I'm glad to see you on here man and I always appreciate your takes on the team. Let's toast to a hopefully better outcome this year - in many, many ways.

Skoal! And right back at you.

These seasons where the team is contending are gold. There’s no point not enjoying every minute of them.

RonWashington

Reaction score
How do you replace a guy who’s headed for the NFC East crown and hopefully home field for a few playoff struggles heck let’s say NFC championship against the Rams then who knows ….

No if Kellen is offered the Bears job after they disappoint again Moore will be off to Chicago to groom a talented young QB

Kingofholland

Reaction score
What I wonder with Kellen Moore is if he has the leadership style to command a locker room and run the whole operation? Sure he appears to be a smart play caller, but there's a quiet energy there that I'm not sure how it translate yet.

Regardless he deserves a head coaching gig at some point based on the offenses production. However, I'm not sold yet that the timing is right for that step just yet. If I'm Moore I'm selective on that opportunity, wanting to see offensive talent in place and assurance I'm not inheriting a declining team. Otherwise he's taking a step back in a few years, likely with another new organization.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If he leaves then all he wants to be is head coach and nothing more.

Jerry with throw him coaching pay to stay.

But I don't think he will be a good coach. I just don't think he is ready.

Besides, he is in a perfect position to succeed as an top notch OC. Credit is due to McCarthy more than Kellen.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Agree but you don't make the rainmaker the CEO, lol... agree make him assistance head coach and call it a day...

In a law firm the rainmaker is made partner.

In big companies you promote the rainmaker.

Darwinism.

Status
Not open for further replies.