CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;2110059 said:
Bullcrap! Tell the truth!

YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT!!

:laugh2:

You got me!

I can't afford to pay attention.....

:banghead:

Actually I spent this week's "allowance" on new Owens and Zach Thomas jerseys.

lspain1

Reaction score
This thread has been one of the more interesting threads on the Zone lately. Congrats to Stash for making a decent case for taking a gamble on Matt Jones. I find that, while Jerry Jones is quite willing to gamble, his willingness seems to be limited these days to "proven" talent. I don't think Matt Jones fits the profile....but I could be wrong. We'll see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lspain1;2110201 said:
This thread has been one of the more interesting threads on the Zone lately. Congrats to Stash for making a decent case for taking a gamble on Matt Jones.

Thanks for the compliment!

lspain1 said:
I find that, while Jerry Jones is quite willing to gamble, his willingness seems to be limited these days to "proven" talent. I don't think Matt Jones fits the profile....but I could be wrong. We'll see.

No offense, but hopefully you are wrong. Otherwise I've done a whole lotta typin' for nuthin'!

:pc:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
This has been a good thread. I wouldn't mind a bit if Jones came. Of course I wouldn't mind if he doesn't. I'm afraid it would knock a player off the roster who might be something. I would definitely rather have Jones here than another year of Austin and maybe Hurd as well.

The problem with these situations is we have little if any data about the behind the scenes stuff or the off the record comments by people around him. What coaches and GMs say in public and off the record are quite a bit different at times. Who really knows what the actual true problems are.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2110342 said:
This has been a good thread. I wouldn't mind a bit if Jones came. Of course I wouldn't mind if he doesn't. I'm afraid it would knock a player off the roster who might be something. I would definitely rather have Jones here than another year of Austin and maybe Hurd as well.

That's my thinking. Austin hasn't shown he can be anything but a kick returner in two seasons. Adn the team now has plenty of better candidates for that role.

jobberone said:
The problem with these situations is we have little if any data about the behind the scenes stuff or the off the record comments by people around him. What coaches and GMs say in public and off the record are quite a bit different at times. Who really knows what the actual true problems are.

And for each negative report that circulates, there's a positive one.

One report says he's struggling in the team's OTA's while another says he's doing well and has looked better than the other receivers.

"Another player that had a relatively solid practice, starting with the initial drills was Matt Jones, who was being tasked with going over the middle quite a bit today on slants and crosses. On one particular play, Jones got the inside angle on Drayton Florence on a quick slant and made a nice grab."

You really don't know what to believe.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Bungarian;2108353 said:
Matt Jones will be the 4th WR on some team and out of football soon. No offense but it did not work out for him.

Yep.

With his size, speed, and hands, he should be at least a number 2 at this point, not a scrub fighting to make the team.

Having size, speed and hands is one thing, using them to be a good NFL football player is another.

Oh, and being a locker room cancer (allegedly) and a prima dona doesn't help.

Bottom line, the Cowboys don't need Matt Jones at all. :starspin

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HTownCowboysFan said:
Having size, speed and hands is one thing, using them to be a good NFL football player is another.

Oh, and being a locker room cancer (allegedly) and a prima dona doesn't help.

I would be interested in any information you have in him being "a locker room cancer", could you provide some details on that? I've never seen that said about him.

HTownCowboysFan said:
Bottom line, the Cowboys don't need Matt Jones at all.

If you're completely comfortable with Owens, Crayton and a bunch of ?????? , that's your prerogative, but some of us arent.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stasheroo;2110519 said:
I would be interested in any information you have in him being "a locker room cancer", could you provide some details on that? I've never seen that said about him.

If you're completely comfortable with Owens, Crayton and a bunch of ?????? , that's your prerogative, but some of us arent.

The crusade you are on for this scrub player is just amazing Stash

as for your last comment, adding Jones to the list doesnt change the concerns over the WR position at all, because he is no better than anybody currently here...even if the Cowboys did turn stupid and do as you suggest, wasting a draft pick to trade for a guy who's gonna be released anyway in Jones, if Owens goes down the offense is still in big trouble, because Jones is not a starting calibar NFL WR and never will be...its something he has clearly proven, and he's proven it so well that the Jags traded for another 1st rd bust and spent alot of money on Jerry Porter to replace him

you can spin doctor away if you like, but the guys been a massive bust because he doesnt have the talent for the position nor the work ethic to ever become anything decent

David

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
I agree with Stash up to a certain point. How come all the Jax wideouts seem to falter? Where is the outrage for guys like R.J Soward and Reggie Williams?? Those guys were firstrounders too for Jax. What exactly have they done, Soward is out of the league and Williams stats mirror Jones's. Those guys were w.r's throughout college, meanwhile Jones had to come in an learn a different position at the NFL level. Something is amiss down in Jax, and its not ALL on Jones , not by a longshot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2110521 said:
The crusade you are on for this scrub player is just amazing Stash

Thanks.

dbair1967 said:
as for your last comment, adding Jones to the list doesnt change the concerns over the WR position at all, because he is no better than anybody currently here...

Despite your misguided opinion, facts clearly show otherwise. Any number you want to bring up is in Jones' favor compared to Hurd, Austin, or Stanback.

dbair1967 said:
even if the Cowboys did turn stupid and do as you suggest, wasting a draft pick to trade for a guy who's gonna be released anyway in Jones,

Says you.

dbair1967 said:
if Owens goes down the offense is still in big trouble, because Jones is not a starting calibar NFL WR and never will be...its something he has clearly proven, and he's proven it so well that the Jags traded for another 1st rd bust and spent alot of money on Jerry Porter to replace him

I never said the guy could replace Owens, nobody could. He'd just make the cupboard a little less bare.

Again, his numbers are better than Alvin Harper's were his first three years, Harper was "good enough".

you can spin doctor away if you like, but the guys been a massive bust because he doesnt have the talent for the position nor the work ethic to ever become anything decent[/quote]

Not "spinning" anything, just using facts to disprove your opinion that he's worthless.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
I believe plan A is STILL trying to work a trade for Roy Williams in the very near future. Plan B would be Matt Jones. Why not let him come into camp and compete?? If he does well we come out ahead, if he flounders were no worse off then we were. I do believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that he will be better in Dallas then he was in Jax, not a doubt in my mind. How much better I cant answer.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avenging Hayseed;2110535 said:
I believe plan A is STILL trying to work a trade for Roy Williams in the very near future. Plan B would be Matt Jones. Why not let him come into camp and compete?? If he does well we come out ahead, if he flounders were no worse off then we were. I do believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that he will be better in Dallas then he was in Jax, not a doubt in my mind. How much better I cant answer.

Amen!

:thankyou:

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Havent finished going over all the stats yet, but it seems jones gets more passes thrown his way by QB's other then Gerrard. Leftwich and Grey. Hmmmmmmmmm, thats funny, you mean to tell me he's getting open when Leftwich or Grey are in the game but not when Gerrard is???:rolleyes: Or,.....could it just be that Gerrard isnt looking his way?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
stasheroo;2110534 said:
Again, his numbers are better than Alvin Harper's were his first three years, Harper was "good enough".

please dont mention Alvin Harper and Matt Jones in the same breath...there is absolutely NO comparison

unless you compare Harper after he left Dallas to Jones now perhaps...but Harper while he was here was a feared big play threat...no teams fears Matt Jones

David

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind our WR corps looking like

TO Crayton Jones Hurd Stanbach

that looks better than.

TO Crayton Hurd Austin Stanbach.

I have little faith in TG and if we depend on him we are going to get burned in the end we should just part ways with him now.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
dbair1967;2110603 said:
please dont mention Alvin Harper and Matt Jones in the same breath...there is absolutely NO comparison

unless you compare Harper after he left Dallas to Jones now perhaps...but Harper while he was here was a feared big play threat...no teams fears Matt Jones

David
.....................Your right. There is NO comparison. Jones numbers are BETTER. Now, consider this............Harper was drafted out of Tennesee, W.R U for all intent and purposes. Harper also was playing a position he was accustomed to, had a dominant w.r opposite him and a great t.e to draw coverage away from him, had a great running game and a deadly accurate QB,Meanwhile, Jones had to learn a brand new position on the fly at the NFL level..............yet, considering ALL THAT, Jones still outperformed him. Yep, your right, there really is no comparison.:eek:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed;2110661 said:
.....................Your right. There is NO comparison. Jones numbers are BETTER. Now, consider this............Harper was drafted out of Tennesee, W.R U for all intent and purposes. Harper also was playing a position he was accustomed to, had a dominant w.r opposite him and a great t.e to draw coverage away from him, had a great running game and a deadly accurate QB,Meanwhile, Jones had to learn a brand new position on the fly at the NFL level..............yet, considering ALL THAT, Jones still outperformed him. Yep, your right, there really is no comparison.:eek:

You guys need to check your numbers becasue this 'his numbers are better than Harper's" line is pure garbage. Just a cursory look shows that Harper had better yardage numbers in his first three years.

But moreso Harper actually improved each and every year with the Cowboys; something Charmin Jones can't say. Plus Harper would block and run inside routes. You may remember a certain skinny post in a certain championship game.

But really his numbers aren't better than Harper's any more than they 'better than Austin, hurd and Stanback combined.' Austin and Hurd had more catches and yards. But hey why let get facts get in the way of pimping this loser?

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2110700 said:
You guys need to check your numbers becasue this 'his numbers are better than Harper's" line is pure garbage. Just a cursory look shows that Harper had better yardage numbers in his first three years.

But moreso Harper actually improved each and every year with the Cowboys; something Charmin Jones can't say. Plus Harper would block and run inside routes. You may remember a certain skinny post in a certain championship game.

But really his numbers aren't better than Harper's any more than they 'better than Austin, hurd and Stanback combined.' Austin and Hurd had more catches and yards. But hey why let get facts get in the way of pimping this loser?

Sam Hurd 19 catches 314 yards 1 TD's
Miles Austin 5 catches 76 yards 0 TD's
Matt Jones 24 catches 317 yards 4 TD's

The numbers are similar the catches are the same Jones has more TD's the only difference is jones was inactive for 4 games this season :eek:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2110708 said:
Sam Hurd 19 catches 314 yards 1 TD's
Miles Austin 5 catches 76 yards 0 TD's
Matt Jones 24 catches 317 yards 4 TD's

The numbers are similar the catches are the same Jones has more TD's the only difference is jones was inactive for 4 games this season :eek:

As has been gone over its not how many games but how many snaps each got. Furthermore their YPC and yards are both better.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2110715 said:
As has been gone over its not how many games but how many snaps each got. Furthermore their YPC and yards are both better.

I don't think snaps matter how many times they where thrown at is what matters. I don't get why you would want 2 guys that pretty much do the same thing as one guy. Austin can get the boot IMO. He isn't even needed as KR which is the only reason why we were keeping him.