WR Steve Smith (cut) would be interested in Dallas *signs with Ravens*

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hell no. Why? Why would we do this?

We want to push guys like Harris, Beasley and a potential rookie even further down the depth chart? I don't know what Harris has to do to get people to trust in him. He can handle a larger load as a receiver, he's done just about everything else you could ask of the guy.

The Cowboys have no backup WR who can play outside after releasing Austin. Harris and Beasley are both good slot guys only.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you crazy! Romo loves to show up his receivers on the field if they run a wrong route and he throws a Int. He always makes it seem like it's the receivers fault. Steve Smith is one of those guys you don't mess with like that.

Oh give me a break. What is Steve Smith going to do? Beat him up?

That guy is a loudmouth punk.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you crazy! Romo loves to show up his receivers on the field if they run a wrong route and he throws a Int. He always makes it seem like it's the receivers fault. Steve Smith is one of those guys you don't mess with like that.

This is never a problem with guys who are where they're supposed to be.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Those guys can't play split out for us. We've got Dez and Williams who can right now, which means if one of them go down, we're immediately playing someone out of position. It also limits how much we're likely comfortable putting Dez in the slot when we don't have a threat on the outside who can possibly pull a safety.
We're going to add a veteran WR we can play wide at some point this offseason. We could conceivably do it later in the draft, but I think it's unlikely we roll the dice on getting someone capable of possibly starting on the outside as a rookie two drafts in a row. The only real question is how much we've got slotted for that position for a veteran. There are enough good options out there for us, I imagine Steve Smith would be a fairly expensive luxury for us.

I say draft a guy. We're rebuilding, so why burn cash on a 35 year old WR, of all things. We've got more than enough weapons, Romo has been surrounded with an excess of receiving talent his entire career and we're still always looking to add more like that's the difference. Time to switch philosophy completely and focus on teh guys that don't do endzone dances, if you ask me.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My two nickels.. I love Steve Smith. He's a baller. He runs his mouth and has backed it up.

However, at his age, he would not be a good fit for this team. And if you're looking at what/who the team is bringing in. They're going under 30 or guys with low mileage. So look for a mid-level vet FA wr or a draft pick to add to the WR corp, not an 30+ guy whose best days are behind him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't you know? Being snarky is the "in" thing to do.

Some may want to call it snarky if it makes them feel better about the fact that they've been right in what they've said. As opposed to the eternal optimists repeatedly talking about that rainbow right around the corner that always seems to fade away just before you get to it.

But it's par for the course. If you don't like the news, shoot the messenger.

Manster54

Reaction score
I love Steve Smith's attitude. He's older and probably has 1-2 good years left. I'd like to see him signed to a1 year deal. I think Baltimore would be a better fit for him though.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some may want to call it snarky if it makes them feel better about the fact that they've been right in what they've said. As opposed to the eternal optimists repeatedly talking about that rainbow right around the corner that always seems to fade away just before you get to it.

But it's par for the course. If you don't like the news, shoot the messenger.
Actually what Brain and I are referring to is that Alexander and Risen are no longer or at least haven't been posting their usual, "negative, realistic, etc." points of view, which while I might disagree in some cases, at least it adds to the discussion. They've been making nothing but snarky troll posts, lately, and we were just noting it.

Nothing about what you posted has anything to do with what Brain and I were talking about.

Texan_Eph89

Reaction score
If we can get him cheap, I don't think there's a better fit at WR from free agency this year.

He can play outside until T-Will is absolutely ready and can move to the slot and force the safeties deep when T-Will gets more comfortable. He could also mentor both Dez and T-Will since they both have the quickness to play Smith's style.

Considering he's getting up there in age, a 2 year deal would be realistic and I don't think he'll command much money in this free agent market.

SDCowboy

Reaction score

lol don't want to mess with? Romo is the superstar QB of the Cowboys. Smith, while good, is an aging WR at, likely, the end of his career. What's Smith going to do? I also can't imagine he would want to play here unless he likes the situation at QB here.

Zordon

Reaction score
I'd love to have him but Romo and Garrett are too weak to handle Smith's personality. Garrett couldn't even handle Crayton. Both are weak leaders that need a certain amount of "friendliness" in the air to feel comfortable at the workplace.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I say draft a guy. We're rebuilding, so why burn cash on a 35 year old WR, of all things. We've got more than enough weapons, Romo has been surrounded with an excess of receiving talent his entire career and we're still always looking to add more like that's the difference. Time to switch philosophy completely and focus on teh guys that don't do endzone dances, if you ask me.

I could buy drafting a guy. Thing is, though, it's a safe bet Williams or Dez is going to miss some time this season at some point. I'd prefer to have a guy who's been in the league a bit playing outside for Romo. There will be reasonable options out there in VFA that won't be too expensive. The question is, do we want to give up a roster spot for that insurance? I think we see if a big talent we like drops to us in the middle rounds, and if not, we'll pick up a retread we like in May to hold the fort. I could live with either if the draft pick were a guy with real potential.

Of the guys on the roster, maybe Harris can make the adjustment to give us a realistic threat on the outside, but he's just physically limited in that regard and a much better player with the ball in his hands. The other guys are strictly slot receivers.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually what Brain and I are referring to is that Alexander and Risen are no longer or at least haven't been posting their usual, "negative, realistic, etc." points of view, which while I might disagree in some cases, at least it adds to the discussion. They've been making nothing but snarky troll posts, lately, and we were just noting it.

Nothing about what you posted has anything to do with what Brain and I were talking about.

I think opinions vary on the subject I guess.

I've seen different.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol don't want to mess with? Romo is a superstar QB of the Cowboys. Smith, while good, is an aging WR at the, likely, the end of his career. What's Smith going to do?

Hit him with so many rights he'll be begging for a left.

I just hope he swings upward. We have to protect our QB's knees.

stiletto

Reaction score
Romo played well with S. Smith in the Pro-Bowl one time, threw a TD pass to him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to have him but Romo and Garrett are too weak to handle Smith's personality. Garrett couldn't even handle Crayton. Both are weak leaders that need a certain amount of "friendliness" in the air to feel comfortable at the workplace.

This would not even be an issue. I can see people convincing themselves Jason Garrett is weak by believing some of the negative spin on events from Valley Ranch, but I don't see anybody thinking Romo is a weak leader at this point in his career.

In any event, if he could deal with TO, he can deal with Steve Smith. Steve Smith's problems are only with having a chip on his shoulder when he feels he's being disrespected.

On a side note, it'd be fun to watch he and Scandrick get into it at practice every day. :)

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
This would not even be an issue. I can see people convincing themselves Jason Garrett is weak by believing some of the negative spin on events from Valley Ranch, but I don't see anybody thinking Romo is a weak leader at this point in his career.

In any event, if he could deal with TO, he can deal with Steve Smith. Steve Smith's problems are only with having a chip on his shoulder when he feels he's being disrespected.

On a side note, it'd be fun to watch he and Scandrick get into it at practice every day. :)

I was just about to come post about T.O........lol do people even try anymore