WR Steve Smith (cut) would be interested in Dallas *signs with Ravens*

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
why come to dallas? makes no sense. probably a good fit for NO, seattle, SF, New England, Denver, Jets. one of those teams will get him.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
A good QB will make average WRs look good. No need to spend $ on a old WR..

SDCowboy

Reaction score
why come to dallas? makes no sense. probably a good fit for NO, seattle, SF, New England, Denver, Jets. one of those teams will get him.

Well I don't think we know the other teams he wants. Some of those might be them. As to why he might want to come here, it's easy. Great QB, great supporting WR situation and getting to play for the most glamorous team in American sports. Need any more reasons?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think opinions vary on the subject I guess.

I've seen different.

Again, what you're talking about and your opinion on it has nothing to do with what Brain and I are referring to in our exchange in this thread.

I'm choosing not to respond to your opinion more directly, because it has nothing to do with the OP, and truly, I'm burnt out on that particular discussion. No offense. lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I agree with you, but it does make for some nice wishful thinking.

Adding him to Dez/Williams/Witten would make for a potent offense.

If we were a contending team anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, what you're talking about and your opinion on it has nothing to do with what Brain and I are referring to in our exchange in this thread.

I'm choosing not to respond to your opinion more directly, because it has nothing to do with the OP, and truly, I'm burnt out on that particular discussion. No offense. lol

None taken.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with you, but it does make for some nice wishful thinking.

Adding him to Dez/Williams/Witten would make for a potent offense.

If we were a contending team anyway.
Which is exactly what we're going to need if the team is going to have a non-existent defense.

Zordon

Reaction score
This would not even be an issue. I can see people convincing themselves Jason Garrett is weak by believing some of the negative spin on events from Valley Ranch, but I don't see anybody thinking Romo is a weak leader at this point in his career.

In any event, if he could deal with TO, he can deal with Steve Smith. Steve Smith's problems are only with having a chip on his shoulder when he feels he's being disrespected.

On a side note, it'd be fun to watch he and Scandrick get into it at practice every day. :)

That's the thing, he couldn't deal with TO. Garrett didn't want Crayton. He spent that first year and a half removing everyone on the roster that he wasn't comfortable with. Many of the players had a connection to TO. Remember "Romo Friendliness"? Jerry was referring to Romo being able to lead the team as well. He's not a natural like Aikman. Players feared Aikman. They don't fear upsetting Romo. If they did, all these issues with receiver routes and communication would have been solved long ago.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Yeah, but doesn't paying Steve Smith help to KEEP the defense in that same sorry state?

That's a fair point which is why I only support him coming here for the right price. At I'd imagine any real defensive improvements this team is going to make are going to be through the draft, thus players that won't cost the team much until down the road. At that point, I doubt Smith would still be on the team.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a serious note.

This is one of those things where one part of me would love the idea of having a player like Steve Smith on the team while the other part of me knows it is not really the best idea.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That's the thing, he couldn't deal with TO. Garrett didn't want Crayton. He spent that first year and a half removing everyone on the roster that he wasn't comfortable with. Many of the players had a connection to TO. Remember "Romo Friendliness"? Jerry was referring to Romo being able to lead the team as well. He's not a natural like Aikman. Players feared Aikman. They don't fear upsetting Romo. If they did, all these issues with receiver routes and communication would have been solved long ago.

I think you missed where Aikman was called a racist because he yelled at only the black players.

Zordon

Reaction score
I think you missed where Aikman was called a racist because he yelled at only the black players.

By who though? Skip Bayless? Some random scrub? Irvin and Emmitt both asserted that he was there unquestioned leader.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
We do not need another receiver that has no upside.

Are we ever gonna play the guys we are developing?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is one of those things where one part of me would love the idea of having a player like Steve Smith on the team while the other part of me knows it is not really the best idea.

Same here until I begin thinking about our defense.

Wood

Reaction score
I think Dallas should pounce on this opportunity. He helps Dez because Smith had control issues early in his career. Plus I still think Smith can play little bit.

Boys122

Reaction score
It's being reported that he's a head case in the locker room, we don't need that here, not another Terrell Owens. Plus, I'm cool with Harris, Williams and Beasley getting more playing time.

And another thing isn't this defense broke? Forget about the offense for now.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Tate signed with Detroit for way too much money.

They got a steal in Tate. Look up what PFF said about him. Wait, here it is:

Tate has dropped just five of his 149 catchable targets over the last three seasons, the lowest "drop rate" of any NFL wide receiver. Tate's 50 "missed tackles" forced the past three years are nine more than any wideout in football.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5583/golden-tate

When we named Tate the Seahawks’ Secret Superstar last offseason, we also noted his incredible elusiveness after the catch. He continued that trend in 2013, leading all receivers with 21 forced missed tackles on his receptions. Teammate Percy Harvin is one of the most dangerous players in the league with the ball in his hands, averaging a missed tackle for every 4.7 receptions in the last three seasons. Who is the only player with a better rate on 100 receptions? That would be Tate, who amazingly averages a missed tackle for every 2.8 catches.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/07/free-agent-duels-bennett-vs-tate/