WVU to Join Big 12 Pending Missouri Move

DFWJC

Reaction score
Has something radically changed in the last day? I haven't read the news today (Friday, Nov 28).

I had assumed there was close to zero chance that ND would join the Big 12 in football. I've never seen anything credible that would make me think they would.

Now ND joining for all sports except football is very strong possiblity b/c they already have that arrangement with the BE...and the BE has gotten much worse.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I can absolutely confirm that there is discussion between ND and the Big 12 on joining. I can not tell you how I know this but I can tell you that the source is very, very good. I can tell you that the person I have spoken to on this is actually a TCU Alum who is very close to the situation.

ND is serious about discussions with the Big 12. I was thinking about this last night. It does no good for ND to join with everything but Football. If you are going to expand to 12 teams, the only reason you would do it is to continue to have a Conference Championship game. You must have 12 so it does little good to bring in a team that does not bring you to 12 in Football. Better to stay at 10 and gain a bigger revenue split amongst the 10 Conference teams. However, if ND comes in and the Big 12 allows ND to keep it's Football Revenue, then the Big 12 could strike a deal that says the other 11 teams share revenue and ND does their thing with their own TV revenue until 2015. The solves the issues of network affiliations between NBC and ESPN/ABC. You are really only talking about 2 years in reality. When the 2015 deal comes around for ND, the revenue splits can be discussed and the money that a Big 12 with Texas, OU, TCU, OKSt., WV and ND in football could generate would likely be more lucrative for ND then what they might get from NBC. Right now, the ND/NBC deal is like a boat anchor around NBCs neck. It would be hard for me to see a bigger deal offered or even a matching deal based on where the ND program is currently at. ND needs to be able to get a share of the Texas recruiting base if they want to get back on top IMO. They just are not getting the athletes. Heck, if you look at Basketball, you have a really, really strong conference as well. ESPN/ABC is going to be very interested in a Conference that can bring Kansas, Texas, Louisville and ND to the party as well.

Not saying ND is lock but there is definetly advantages for Notre Dame to consider joining the Big 12.

MC KAos

Reaction score
well, here is the latest

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...eers-formally-invited-join-big-12-sources-say

West Virginia, a member of the Big East Conference since 1995, has been formally invited to join the Big 12.

Big East spokesman John Paquette confirmed that the Mountaineers have notified the league of its withdrawal.

The Big 12 plans to remain at 10 schools, a source within the conference told ESPN's Joe Schad.

On Wednesday, ESPN reported that the Mountaineers had been notified by the Big 12 that the conference's expansion process had been put on hold as officials waited for Missouri to withdraw for its move to the Southeastern Conference.

Just a day before that, the Big 12 had told West Virginia that it would be accepted pending formal approval.

The Mountaineers even scheduled a news conference to announce their move, which it later canceled.

DFWJC

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4206896 said:
I can absolutely confirm that there is discussion between ND and the Big 12 on joining. I can not tell you how I know this but I can tell you that the source is very, very good. I can tell you that the person I have spoken to on this is actually a TCU Alum who is very close to the situation.

ND is serious about discussions with the Big 12. I was thinking about this last night. It does no good for ND to join with everything but Football. If you are going to expand to 12 teams, the only reason you would do it is to continue to have a Conference Championship game. You must have 12 so it does little good to bring in a team that does not bring you to 12 in Football. Better to stay at 10 and gain a bigger revenue split amongst the 10 Conference teams. However, if ND comes in and the Big 12 allows ND to keep it's Football Revenue, then the Big 12 could strike a deal that says the other 11 teams share revenue and ND does their thing with their own TV revenue until 2015. The solves the issues of network affiliations between NBC and ESPN/ABC. You are really only talking about 2 years in reality. When the 2015 deal comes around for ND, the revenue splits can be discussed and the money that a Big 12 with Texas, OU, TCU, OKSt., WV and ND in football could generate would likely be more lucrative for ND then what they might get from NBC. Right now, the ND/NBC deal is like a boat anchor around NBCs neck. It would be hard for me to see a bigger deal offered or even a matching deal based on where the ND program is currently at. ND needs to be able to get a share of the Texas recruiting base if they want to get back on top IMO. They just are not getting the athletes. Heck, if you look at Basketball, you have a really, really strong conference as well. ESPN/ABC is going to be very interested in a Conference that can bring Kansas, Texas, Louisville and ND to the party as well.

Not saying ND is lock but there is definetly advantages for Notre Dame to consider joining the Big 12.
My contacts at TT , UT and OSU say all sports except football.

But, like I said, this could have changed in the last few hours. That has happned a lot in the past few weeks.

On a side note, it sounds like the BE is putting on the full court press to get Boise St. Talk about a really odd geographical fit.

MC KAos

Reaction score
there is still question as to when WVU could join; the big east is trying to hold on to everyone for 27 months. seeing as the departure of WVU, Pitt, Syracuse and possibly Louisville would constitute about half of the football schools, i dont see how they would have any leverage to do it.

MC KAos

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4206896 said:

DFWJC;4206902 said:

But, like I said, this could have changed in the last few hours. That has happned a lot in the past few weeks.

On a side note, it sounds like the BE is putting on the full court press to get Boise St. Talk about a really odd geographical fit.

i really hope ND ends up joining as a full member! that would be great for the conference. it wouldnt surprise me if they had a stipulation where they got to be in a division apart from texas and OU, basically guaranteeing themselves a spot in the championship game year in and year out, much like nebraska was or should have been.

since its obvious for the most part the best schools are in texas or oklahoma, i hope they do the divisions without any geographic division since that would make lopsided divisions again. maybe have.....

OU, Texas, Tech, Baylor, OSU, iowa state in one division

ND, WVU, KSU, KU, TCU and Louisville in the other

granted, it will probably be with TCU and Iowa state switched, the way i have it would be more balanced

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
MC KAos;4206899 said:
well, here is the latest

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...eers-formally-invited-join-big-12-sources-say

West Virginia, a member of the Big East Conference since 1995, has been formally invited to join the Big 12.

Big East spokesman John Paquette confirmed that the Mountaineers have notified the league of its withdrawal.

The Big 12 plans to remain at 10 schools, a source within the conference told ESPN's Joe Schad.

On Wednesday, ESPN reported that the Mountaineers had been notified by the Big 12 that the conference's expansion process had been put on hold as officials waited for Missouri to withdraw for its move to the Southeastern Conference.

Just a day before that, the Big 12 had told West Virginia that it would be accepted pending formal approval.

The Mountaineers even scheduled a news conference to announce their move, which it later canceled.

Holy Mountain Momma... looks like it's gonna happen...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I'm confused. The Big 12 announced they would accept WVU whether Missouri left or not. Now they are going to wait to see if they leave?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sam I Am;4206975 said:
I'm confused. The Big 12 announced they would accept WVU whether Missouri left or not. Now they are going to wait to see if they leave?

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=205323383

The Big 12 Conference Board of Directors have voted unanimously to accept West Virginia University as a full conference member effective July 1, 2012. The Mountaineers will begin competing in the Big 12 beginning with the 2012-13 athletic season.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DFWJC;4206902 said:

You are correct, the situation is definitely fluid at this point. As I understand it, the issue is really timing on behalf of Missouri. So for example, if Missouri is locked into the 2012-2013 season in the Big 12, then it's likely that if ND comes over, it's only with the other sports. If Missouri decides to stay, same deal. If Missouri decides to leave this year, then the discussion is about coming over with all sports now. It appears that the Big East is trying to block the departure of WV for the 27 months but it is doubtful that they can do this. If by next year, they can not bring in several schools or get a Mega Conference deal done with other Conferences, then they probably can not block WV because they will no longer be a viable Conference themselves. All of this points to WV coming over. I don't really think that Missouri can jump to the SEC this year because they have already set their sports schedules for the year. It would take a lot to change all that. I think Missouri stays in the Big 12 for another seasons and then jumps to the SEC. I think WV joins the Big 12 after next season unless ND can be convinced to come over now. I think Louisville is out, based on discussion being had in the Big East for now. I don't think they will leave the Big East unless the Big East fails in creating a Mega Conference or Super Conference. If ND comes over, the deal on the table right now is to play anywhere from 6 to 8 games with the Big 12 and one of the games appears to be Texas and ND on Thanks Giving. That's going to chap some butts down in College Station. If ND comes over, this would be the plan for 1 or 2 years and then ND would come over with all sports after that. That is the deal that is on the table right now, as I understand it.

As a side note, Missouri is being offered permanent membership and games with ND as an option should they stay. This is interesting because that would mean that the Big 12 would likely get back to 12 with the addition of TCU, WV and ND possibly as early as next season and as late as 2013-2014. If ND declines or if Missouri leaves, Then they probably look for another team. That team may not be Louisville. That team may be in Provo.

Lots of stuff going on at this moment.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does this mean I have to be part of the Texas vs OU whinefest. :p: ;)

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4207065 said:
:laugh2:

Oh it's on BP!

Its ON LIKE DONKEY KONG !!!!

We gonna GIT US SOME W-VIRGINIES!!! YEEEEHAWWWW !!!!!!

Why yes, I know my mouth is pretty BP. :laugh2:

*rim-shot*

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4207068 said:
Does this mean I have to be part of the Texas vs OU whinefest. :p: ;)

Yes and by this I mean to say that you will now become the lead whiner. You simply have to toss out chirps to both OU and Horns fans and stir the pot. Then, you sit back and watch it boil over. It's a lot like cooking Campfire Stew. You just provide the ingredients and then you pop a beer and watch the pot boil.

You will enjoy this thoroughly.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4207075 said:
Yes and by this I mean to say that you will now become the lead whiner. You simply have to toss out chirps to both OU and Horns fans and stir the pot. Then, you sit back and watch it boil over. It's a lot like cooking Campfire Stew. You just provide the ingredients and then you pop a beer and watch the pot boil.

You will enjoy this thoroughly.

I refuse to be pulled into the whine any longer. Paint may try to tempt me, but he will fail.

We have lost a lot of great horn fans around here the past couple of years.

miss those guys..

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;4207084 said:
I refuse to be pulled into the whine any longer. Paint may try to tempt me, but he will fail.

We have lost a lot of great horn fans around here the past couple of years.

miss those guys..

Doubt I do much.

Maybe some good fun ribbing but not much.

We might also take a little time to get settled into the B12 and start getting better recruits so I am not going to run in thinking we would own the conf or anything silly like that.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4207103 said:
Doubt I do much.

Maybe some good fun ribbing but not much.

We might also take a little time to get settled into the B12 and start getting better recruits so I am not going to run in thinking we would own the conf or anything silly like that.

I am glad WVU has been invited to the Big12. I think its great for both the conf and the Mountaineers.

Looking forward to some great games between all of us.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dallas;4207118 said:
I am glad WVU has been invited to the Big12. I think its great for both the conf and the Mountaineers.

Looking forward to some great games between all of us.

I agree. BP, I think this is going to help you a great deal in recruiting. You will be able to get Texas players and that's going to be a big deal I think.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4207145 said:
I agree. BP, I think this is going to help you a great deal in recruiting. You will be able to get Texas players and that's going to be a big deal I think.

But no Oklahoma players! We keep all Sam Bradfords locked up in basements across Norman. :p: